Most influential writer of the last century?

the germans would have something to say about that octo ;)

schopen, nietzsche, geothe, kant

z10 said:

you're missing two important names from that german list.

don't forget you have the french and the russians too

not to mention the Italians

zaf1986 said:
commay mian, meant to ask, who is the dude in your avatar? :D

:D

hint:

A census taker once tried to test me, i ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti..... ;)

comma said:
:D

hint:

A census taker once tried to test me, i ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti..... ;)
I ain't gonna get it with hints coz I'm not into "cultural" stuff.

You're just gonna have to tell me. ;)

damn :D

its Dr. Lector from Silence of the Lambs, zaf

Schiller and Goethe, together. Now guess.

Was just wondering because someone else had the avatar as well on another forum. :D

well you said two, schiller is one

freud would come under austrian, no?

comma said:
if you can guess it from wiki then all the power to you :D

not that i can be bothered BUT i would just list every german poet - its bound to be one of them :D

Geordie Ahmed said:
not that i can be bothered BUT i would just list every german poet - its bound to be one of them :D

:91:
then youd come right back to 'guessing'

comma said:
:91:
then youd come right back to 'guessing'

who cares if it works :19:

z10 is going crazy trying to work it out - just reading his posts you can feel the tension, put him out of his misery you freshy ;)

Geordie Ahmed said:
who cares if it works :19:

z10 is going crazy trying to work it out - just reading his posts you can feel the tension, put him out of his misery you freshy ;)

i tell ya, do it and ill ease the 'misery'

a bit on schiller/goethe.

reason i count them influential, in part, is because of the movement "Sturm und Drang" or "storm and stress" which started with schiller publishing "The Robbers" (Excellent play) and Goethe publishing "The Sorrows of young werther" (a very good book)

googled the following: takes its name from some klinger's play.

Last edited:
goethe in his autobiogrpahy wrote that after schiller's death he just wasn't inspired enough and that was one of the reasons it took him forever to finish Faust.

i was definitely impressed by the sturm und drang movement and by shaw/wilde.

another one to note is that scandinavian playwright - forget his name.

googled him: Ibsen.

i would love to take part in this thread, but i havent read any of the mentioned books, neither do i know much about writers, apart from the names of the famous ones. as for influence, devil sab ka baap hai.

nafajafam said:
i would love to take part in this thread, but i havent read any of the mentioned books, neither do i know much about writers, apart from the names of the famous ones. as for influence, devil sab ka baap hai.

don't worry a lot of the posters here haven't including myself. id go by what you know in general even if you haven't read them

Last edited:
z10 said:

AB, i had said that two names are missing from this list. we got one - schiller
perhaps you can give us the name of the other one

robo?

since ab won't contribute this thread, in keeping with his common-man/ga spirit, the other
name is Rilke, - Rainer Maria Rilke.

comma said:
since ab won't contribute this thread, in keeping with his common-man/ga spirit, the other
name is Rilke, - Rainer Maria Rilke.

I never said I wouldn't contribute.

In any event, I wouldn't have guessed the answer.

Geordie Ahmed is a Commie.

How about Agatha Christie for the same reason as Tolkien?

(Comma clenches his jaw)

Ace Base said:
I never said I wouldn't contribute.

In any event, I wouldn't have guessed the answer.

Geordie Ahmed is a Commie.

being a poet, im allowed taking some license of the sort
ha

ga is a mirpuri.

have you read rilke or heard of him ab?

I read Rilke about 7 yrs ago along with Schiller,Goethe and Heine.
I had heard that his poetry had the mystical/sufistic/sensual touch about it, sort of yeatsish. i found it to be quite true. he was famous for poem things or something(forget what it is now)

He also had a famous longish affair with Lou Andreas Salome, the same woman to whom Nietzsche proposed and was rejected by. the same woman who was a friend of Freud.

Rilke is supposed to be Germany's best after Goethe ofcourse, was involved with the post-modernists and influenced the german literature and philosophers a bit.

Its been a long time since i read him so am a bit ham in my description above. but do read about him.

Theres another Major Name - Ruskin!! The Definitive Aesthete.

ps wiki has a good blurb about him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainer_Maria_Rilke

Last edited:
for urdu lovers (mig aur dosri balaain!), there's an excellent book by mukhtar masood(generaly considered as the best essay writer of urdu) named "awaz-e-dost". there r 2 essays in this book. one is "mukhtasar taweel" and the other is "taweel mukhtasar". the former is titled as "qeht-ul-rijaal" and here he has described that y we dont produce ppl of the highest calibre (including writers). there's also an extra treat for iqbal lovers (mig and me!) that the guy is a big fan of iqbal!!

robosapien said:
for urdu lovers (mig aur dosri balaain!), there's an excellent book by mukhtar masood(generaly considered as the best essay writer of urdu) named "awaz-e-dost". there r 2 essays in this book. one is "mukhtasar taweel" and the other is "taweel mukhtasar". the former is titled as "qeht-ul-rijaal" and here he has described that y we dont produce ppl of the highest calibre (including writers). there's also an extra treat for iqbal lovers (mig and me!) that the guy is a big fan of iqbal!!

what were his reasons as to 'urdu' guys not producing the 'elites' ?

one thing that poetry from major parts of the world atlesat can benefit from is the ghazal form. i've read poetry from many languages(hate reading translations) and nothing comes close to the form and the delight of a ghazal, except perhaps a keatsian ode or a shakespearean sonnet.

Last edited:
octavian said:
speaking of urdu , have u heard of or read wasif ali wasif ? Robo

yes, i've read a couple and i dont recall the name of those as most of his books have almost same kinda names. i think one was something like "qatra qatra qulzam..". i think he was a prof at punjab uni and later turned into a sufi. now they have annual "urs" on his grave!!
i know his group and it consisted of very talented and multi-dimensional ppl like shahab, mufti, ishfaq ahmed, bano qudsia and some others.

comma said:
what were his reasons as to 'urdu' guys not producing the 'elites' ?

first, he has defined his understanding of ppl of the highest calibre. he has divided into 3 genres, those who has died for others(shaheeds), those who r living for others (ppl like edhi etc) and those who raise the quality of life with their work (artists). he said that rest is kachra (garbage).
actually it's not abt urdu, it's abt pakistan he has talked. main reasons he has given r lack of higher objectives, greed, selfishness etc. it started when he was a kind (b4 pak came into being) and his father gave him an autograph book and ask him to get autograph of a chinese muslim scholar who was going to visit them in the evening. then he got this habit of having autographs of selected ppl and it includes jinnah and iqbal and he decided not to have from some big names who were not upto his standards.

Look Bhaiyo - URDU and Eastern poets ko Koyee ghans naheen dalta - simple as that ! Thats why the likes of Keats sheats and even Hitler are more popular than Mirza Ghalib !

but miggy, robo has read both urdu literature and english literature, surely his judgement counts?

Back