MS Dhoni the T20I batsman

Not great from Dhoni but not all his fault. I bet if he was given the last two balls he would have hit one for six.

And unlike Misbah's two infamous games, Dhoni came in with the side cruising. People forget that Misbah came in at difficult times.

sometimes I feel Dhoni loves taking the game to the last one or two overs by playing a bit slow. however more often than done he gets the job done.

Dhoni made a strategical mistake by trusting rohit to take the final ball. This guy really became useless. Pathetic in odi, now this.

48 somthing needed in 6 overs and 7 wickets in hand?that was a choke by Indian batting

Dhoni made a strategical mistake by trusting rohit to take the final ball. This guy really became useless. Pathetic in odi, now this.

What? Ghanta strategic mistake!

He made 4 off 2. What do you expect from a batsman whose just came to bat? Do what Dhoni was not being able to do for the last few overs? :asif

He always does it. And most of the time it comes off.

Sometimes it won't, but it's worth it for the return Dhoni gives you get as a fan.

lol. now you are blaming Rohit for the lose.:facepalm:

Its dhoni's mistake to come up the order when you have rohit and tiwary still waiting. dhoni is the one wasted 23 balls to score 22.

This is worse than what Misbah does, Misbah normally come in a pretty hopeless situation but Dhoni came in when everything was going in India's favour

48 somthing needed in 6 overs and 7 wickets in hand?that was a choke by Indian batting

Very complacent and over confident by MSD.
He usually does this in LOIs. Gambhir has blasted him in the public for one in Adelaide even though we won. Hope he got a lesson today.

Pretty similar to what Misbah usually does.

Once the required run rate gets a lot higher, the field spreads out, the bowler gains confidence and it becomes difficult to hit your shots as a batsman. Creates a sort of mental block. Any other day Yuvraj/Rohit would have hit atleast 1 of those for a six, but the mental pressure just doesn't let you.

Shows the importance of Suresh Raina in a way. Keeps his cool under such pressure situations.

What? Ghanta strategic mistake!

He made 4 off 2. What do you expect from a batsman whose just came to bat? Do what Dhoni was not being able to do for the last few overs? :asif

dude, that was the mistake i mentioned :D.

Dhoni usually puts the fireworks till the end. 5 runs in 1 ball is more dangerous than 4 runs in 1 ball. A 4 from rohit could have win the game. Not a big gamble if i be honest.

A 2nd mistake was sending rohit. An awfully out of form batsman. Irfan could have done a better job.

Dhoni the T20 batsman

So lets talk about Dhoni the T20 batsman after this match loosing innings of him.

I often find on PP that people rate him high even in T20's but I think that is due to his good ODI batting or maybe good Chennai battig (If he does well for chennai).

He has one of the worst Strike rate with his 109 in the format. Well his average his becoming better, but does average really matters when an innings like todays get your average up by a fair margine.

He is yet to score a fifty in the format, his highest score was the 46* against aussies. That was another poor innings, in witch he didn't even tried to hit the ball before the RRR was not over 18!

Apart from the first world cup in witch he was good as a batsman has he played even a single (at least) good innings in the last 5 years?

KIWI s 100% record against India maintained. UVs wicket costed the match

Yeah he failed once ,the guy who has helped u win almost all cups ,give the guy a break

Yes, it was a proper choke! NZ bowlers did exactly what they should do, get the pace off ball. Terrible miscalculation by MSD.

Anyone blaming Rohit for the loss is a huge :facepalm:

It is all on Dhoni. The guy became overconfident with all the success he enjoyed while chasing big totals. It was clear in the way he was not even looking to take singles.

But IMO, Dhoni should be forgiven for this booboo. He is a winner and mistakes happen from the greatest of the people. Dhoni is still the man and a champion batsman under pressure situations.

This is just a meaningless T20 game in preparation for the big tournament ahead. Hopefully Dhoni does not pull the same sheet when it really matters.

dude, that was the mistake i mentioned :D.

Dhoni usually puts the fireworks till the end. 5 runs in 1 ball is more dangerous than 4 runs in 1 ball. A 4 from rohit could have win the game. Not a big gamble if i be honest.

A 2nd mistake was sending rohit. An awfully out of form batsman. Irfan could have done a better job.

99.99% batsmen would not be able to hit 6 off the last 2 deliveries in such a situation. The rest 0.01 will require a lot of nerves and luck for it.

I don't understand how you are blaming Rohit's bad form.

MSD does have habit of stretching the game till last over, it has costed the team today.

Btw. no-one was able to time the ball as good as Kohli, so his wicket did the trick for NZ.

Yes, I also feel he is one of the most overrated player in the format.

So his strike rate from the 1st january 2008 till now is just a 103 (100 against top teams).

Actually they needed 49 in 7 overs with 7 wickts in hand. Extremely poor finish. Too overconfident.

99.99% batsmen would not be able to hit 6 off the last 2 deliveries in such a situation. The rest 0.01 will require a lot of nerves and luck for it.

one positive thing is Rohit dint score 6 runs :asadrauf

The guy is a gun in ODIs...sad that he doesn't do too well in T20Is... And India doesn't play too many T20s as well!

I was also thinking about Misbah when Dhoni was batting so slow!

In ODI's, most of the time Dhoni can change gears and win it for his team unlike Misbah. But in T20 both are as bad!

dhoni played well ... hit 4 too in last over made it easy , yuvraj wicket changed the game no blame on dhoni

NZ looks like a strong side on paper. Im expecting them to beat both pakistan and Bangladesh in the first round with such a team.

Give respect where its due, the NZ fielding was good and so was their bowling.

I for one would never rely on Dhoni in T20s. Seen him fail in this format as a batsman way too often.

But then it's T20 :yk

Bottom line, Dhoni disrespected Kiwis bowling abilities and paid for it.

He thought he could hit big shots at will in the final 2 overs and failed.

His strike rate is low and that's why we lose so many t20s. But we don't have a better captain so we have no choice.

Dhoni goes not out again and boosts his T20 average as well :19:

Emotions aside, both Yuvi (he did score more than run a ball, but struggled to middle it regularly/finding the gap) as well as MSD (more so MSD) struggled to find boundaries after 13 overs. In fact if it was not for the few hits from UV in the end, we would not have been this much closer to the target.

MSD royally choked us with his poor shot selection against slower pacers of NZ. Even the likes of Irfan or Tiwary ahead of MSD on the fall of Kohli's wicket would have continued the momentum for us. This game reminded me of CSK losing to opposition chaisng a below par score (i think it was against KXIP at home) in similar fashion in this year's IPL thanks to slow batting of MSD n his pals.

Overall, a very forgettable performance form our team(both batters as well as bowlers - barring Kohli in both aspects). With this kind of line up, I am not very confident on our chances to go past super 8's stage in upcoming T20WC.

Last edited:

sehwag can do it, kohli can do it, raina can do it, dhoni always does it.... 1 thing is common in all these players. Confidence.

Out of form, lack of confidence.... Amidst of fear, you lose focus. That was rohits fault.

But as i said earlier, dhoni made a mistake by sending him instead of tiwary or irfan.

sehwag can do it, kohli can do it, raina can do it, dhoni always does it.... 1 thing is common in all these players. Confidence.

Out of form, lack of confidence.... Amidst of fear, you lose focus. That was rohits fault.

But as i said earlier, dhoni made a mistake by sending him instead of tiwary or irfan.

Is Tiwary a Sehwag?
Is Pathan a Raina?

Emotions aside, both Yuvi (he did score more than run a ball, but struggled to middle it regularly/finding the gap) as well as MSD (more so MSD) struggled to find boundaries after 13 overs. In fact if it was not for the few hits from UV in the end, we would not have been this much closer to the target.

MSD royally choked us with his poor shot selection against slower pacers of NZ. Even the likes of Irfan or Tiwary ahead of MSD on the fall of Kohli's wicket would have continued the momentum for us. This game reminded me of CSK losing to opposition chaisng a below par score (i think it was against KXIP at home) in similar fashion in this year's IPL thanks to slow batting of MSD n his pals.

Overall, a very forgettable performance form our team(both batters as well as fielders - barring Kohli in both aspects). With this kind of line up, I am not very confident on our chances to go past super 8's stage in upcoming T20WC.

Its not the line up!! Its the strategy.

Our Line up is super strong when it comes to batting and fielding. Bowling is ok too. Problem is the strategy and the total disrespect of opposition bowling.

And there's a BIG difference between "can do it" and "would have surely done it". Even Dinda "can" hit a six off the last ball.

Has Sehwag ever hit 6 off 2 to win a game for India?
Same for Raina/Kohli/Dhoni.

You can never be sure, so why leave it on chance?

Last edited:
Congratulations to MS Dhoni for single-handedly losing his team the match:14:! This is now the second time he has gone undismissed in an unsuccessful run-chase in T20I cricket.

Such a personal performance, particularly ahead of a world cup of the same format, are always the best time for a player to reasses his personal approach. As it is anyway, MS Dhoni is not the greatest T20I player in the world and should seriously think about retirement from this format at the international level after the World T20 Championship 2012.

Besides, I think it is bit of a surprise for me to read that he is over-rated as a T20I batsman because I haven´t quite seen anyone rate him much.

Last edited by a moderator:

It is a ridiculous arguments. There was no need to take the game till last ball but Dhoni has tendency to do so. Frankly, chances of getting 6 runs in last 2 balls are not that great with most batsmen. Anyway, why you would want to get into such situations when you have wickets in hands and needed 7 runs per over to score 50 odd runs.

Dhoni was bad.But the Pitch was pretty bad as well.

what game were you watching?

the pitch was an easy 160 pitch.

new zealand only made 35 runs in the first six after losing two wickets and still more or lessed cruised to 160++

dhoni tuk tuk'd his way to a loss. that was some straight misbah stuff he pulled.

and if i need a boundary off a ball i send in irfan pathan not rohit sharma.

utter stupidity.

india deserved to lose and this isnt the first time dhoni has batted slow and lost a game. he is a great "finisher" in ODI's when you need 50 ++ to win a game but in a situation with 30 needed off 19 i would avoid him at all costs

Its not the line up!! Its the strategy.

Our Line up is super strong when it comes to batting and fielding. Bowling is ok too. Problem is the strategy and the total disrespect of opposition bowling.

TBH, our top order looks very fragile consisting of awfully out of form Gambhir, Russian Roulette Sehwag, Yuvi with short of match practice/fitness, Nohit sharma and hit or miss Tiwary (Kohli and to a certain Raina are the only consistently performing batters in LOI for us. Even MSD flops these days)

So question marks remains on our batting line up. I do think they will struggle in upcoming WC like they did WI T20WC or Eng T20WC unless one of the top order batter takes responsibility to stay at the crease for long time(These days only Kohli does that more often).

I am afraid our team is fast becoming like the ones we used to have during 90's where Sachin(currently Kohli) was the only player we used to depend on for winning games or making big scores.

Congratulations to MS Dhoni for single-handedly losing his team the match:14:! This is now the second time he has gone undismissed in an unsuccessful run-chase in T20I cricket.

Such a personal performance, particularly ahead of a world cup of the same format, are always the best time for a player to reasses his personal approach. As it is anyway, MS Dhoni is not the greatest T20I player in the world and should seriously think about retirement from this format at the international level after the World T20 Championship 2012.

Besides, I think it is bit of a surprise for me to read that he is over-rated as a T20I batsman because I haven´t quite seen anyone rate him much.

Ah´ I wish PP had betting system in place about threads and thread-starters and I would have won today hands down:).

True :))

People make up statements to suit their threads.

Dhoni needs to bat positively, it does seem he's trying to anchor but with our batting line up he didn't need to do that today.

It is a ridiculous arguments. There was no need to take the game till last ball but Dhoni has tendency to do so. Frankly, chances of getting 6 runs in last 2 balls are not that great with most batsmen. Anyway, why you would want to get into such situations when you have wickets in hands and needed 7 runs per over to score 50 odd runs.

to get the ovation for the last ball win? Just like rossi does a stunt just before crossing the line.

Not a fan of it ofcourse. But dhoni failes rarely in this. So can't complain.

True

hitting a 4 in final ball is walk in the park. Even Chris Martin would've done it.

Rohit is a fail!

I am being Sarcastic in case you don't get it

So lets talk about Dhoni the T20 batsman after this match loosing innings of him.

I often find on PP that people rate him high even in T20's but I think that is due to his good ODI batting or maybe good Chennai battig (If he does well for chennai).

He has one of the worst Strike rate with his 109 in the format. Well his average his becoming better, but does average really matters when an innings like todays get your average up by a fair margine.

He is yet to score a fifty in the format, his highest score was the 46* against aussies. That was another poor innings, in witch he didn't even tried to hit the ball before the RRR was not over 18!

Apart from the first world cup in witch he was good as a batsman has he played even a single (at least) good innings in the last 5 years?

I have mentioned almost everything you have said before in couple of my posts. But Dhoni's blind fans (from India) have ignored that.

But still , I think this match might just help him and India despite the loss.

the reason is simple actually...

he is the type of player that needs a few overs to settle in and in t20s after you take a few overs to settle in the game can turn on its head

Actually no, when he came he was all slam bang at the start. Over the years he's changed his approach for ODI's. The thing is he needs to get his old approach in T20's. Like you said even a couple of quiet overs can turn the match on its head.

Dhoni has started to get too close to comfort, I've seen him lose close games like this in IPL too. Needs a rethink in strategy there !

btw, looking at how India cruised today till the 12th over has reaffirmed my initial prediction that they are one of the favourites for this competition. The move for Kohli to open is perfect, just needs to work out a balance in the middle and gel bowlers as a unit and they can go all the way this year.

Needs to swing from ball 1..the position he comes in gives no scope for consolidation ie his game

This is how chennai pitch plays , terribly slow in the 4th half of the game as usual. :p

We shld not bother much about this meaningless micky mouse international T20s. :))

Dhoni pay saath khoon paaf hain.

One slight blotch on his beaming career.

He needs to probably bat lower than Aswin and Pathan to be honest. This is not the first time he has done this in T20. In ODI's he has enough time to get his eye in but in T20 he struggles to get on with the game. If he had gotten out early, we might have won the game today.

He needs to probably bat lower than Aswin and Pathan to be honest. This is not the first time he has done this in T20. In ODI's he has enough time to get his eye in but in T20 he struggles to get on with the game. If he had gotten out early, we might have won the game today.

The moment he came in to bat, I tought NZ has a chance to win the match!

Needs to bat up the order in T20s , thats all . Hes not the player who can come in the last 3 overs and blast a quick 30 . He could do that on a good day , but hes a lot more destructive when hes set .

what game were you watching?

the pitch was an easy 160 pitch.

new zealand only made 35 runs in the first six after losing two wickets and still more or lessed cruised to 160++

dhoni tuk tuk'd his way to a loss. that was some straight misbah stuff he pulled.

and if i need a boundary off a ball i send in irfan pathan not rohit sharma.

utter stupidity.

india deserved to lose and this isnt the first time dhoni has batted slow and lost a game. he is a great "finisher" in ODI's when you need 50 ++ to win a game but in a situation with 30 needed off 19 i would avoid him at all costs

I was so sure he would do that . Thats how hes always played the game . it would have been Pathan had this been a WC match .

This is now the second time he has gone undismissed in an unsuccessful run-chase in T20I cricket.

Correction it is three:facepalm:!

And unlike Misbah's two infamous games, Dhoni came in with the side cruising. People forget that Misbah came in at difficult times.

If by "those two infamous games" you are talking about the matches against India in the World T20 Championship 2007 then I think it is harsh, very harsh. In those two matches, Misbah-ul-Haq single-handedly almost pulled off two of the most unbelievable matches that you would have ever witnessed.

Yet there is won match in which Misbah-ul-Haq played a big part like MS Dhoni did yesterday.

Scarecard:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-v-england-2012/engine/match/531637.html

Lol he plays poorly so often but I rarely create threads on PP!
Today's one was just so so special, I couldn't resist!

I never said you have created threads in the past, rather just expressing my disappointment on PP not having any such betting system in place, given that a few Dollars had my name written on it:(.

Yeah, I can understand bashing being an irresistible force;-).

The moment he came in to bat, I tought NZ has a chance to win the match!

You are one genius man:14:! Take a bow!

Dhoni is good in ODIs, however his T20 ability leaves much to be desired. The writing was on the wall in the IPL already - continuously promoting himself up to 3 or 4 and tuk tuk'ing around. Then bringing in guys like Raina and Albie Morkel with 10 balls left in the innings. He seems to think too much of himself and his ability, which is part of the problem.

Poor Captaincy and Running

Dhoni's slow approach cost India the game. However he is used to play like this and taken india home on most of the previous occasions. The only occasion that I remember where he cudnt ensure a win was against SL in that chase in Aus but he atleast ensured a tie. He backs himself to do the job in the end by picking a lot of 2s and retaining strike. On this occasion it didnt help India's cause that Yuvraj coming after a long break was tiring and wasnt running the 2s. Clearly there were a couple of occasions where yuvraj refused the 2 as he was tiring. who knows what might have happened was there some other better runner, after all the difference was only 1 run loss.
Therefore Dhoni was denied strike on 2 occasions clearly by Yuvi tiring. But what was shocking was how he let Rohit face the last ball. Poor choice from Dhoni here. He knew he has been in this situation many a times, and was the best person to take india home. so you have got to get to strike when possible. Instead what he does sends out of form Rohith Sharma and the poor guy (though i am not a fan of RSharma)is made to get 6 runs of the last 2 balls. poor captaincy or was it that Dhoni was convinced that the task was beyond the reach and smartly decided to be off strike.

dhoni is good for that money milking T20 called ipl,not for international t20...infact he takes lot of time to settle and thats not good for t20..this he had done many times in ipl too.but somehow managed to score briskly...here in intl level he is failing consistently in t20.

Dhoni in Last 12 Innings in T20I
Runs Mins BF 4s 6s SR Pos Dismissal Inns Opposition Ground Start Date
15* 2 6 0 2 250.00 5 not out 2 v Afghanistan Gros Islet 1 May 2010 T20I # 153
16* 6 6 1 1 266.66 6 not out 1 v South Africa Gros Islet 2 May 2010 T20I # 155
2 10 8 0 0 25.00 6 caught 2 v Australia Bridgetown 7 May 2010 T20I # 165
29 30 18 2 2 161.11 6 run out 2 v West Indies Bridgetown 9 May 2010 T20I # 169
23* 43 19 0 1 121.05 4 not out 1 v Sri Lanka Gros Islet 11 May 2010 T20I # 173
10* 19 11 0 0 90.90 7 not out 1 v South Africa Durban 9 Jan 2011 T20I # 196
8 15 8 1 0 100.00 7 caught 1 v England Manchester 31 Aug 2011 T20I # 204
21 44 26 0 1 80.76 6 run out 1 v England Kolkata 29 Oct 2011 T20I # 214
48* 55 43 1 3 111.62 6 not out 2 v Australia Sydney 1 Feb 2012 T20I # 217
21* 26 18 2 0 116.66 4 not out 2 v Australia Melbourne 3 Feb 2012 T20I # 218
DNB - - - - - - - 2 v South Africa Johannesburg 30 Mar 2012 T20I # 242
16* 13 14 2 0 114.28 5 not out 1 v Sri Lanka Pallekele 7 Aug 2012 T20I # 255
22* - 23 2 0 95.65 5 not out 2 v New Zealand Chennai 11 Sep 2012 T2

Dhoni is mediocre in T20 I am not surprised that he threw it away.

Dhoni is a rubbish T20I Batsman

Dhoni is master of Bullying sub-standard bowling attacks in IPL matches but when it comes to T20 I's , hes a rubbish batsman and has lost matches for India on numerous occasions.

He is going to give another match losing performance in some time.

Dhoni cant win matches for India in T20 Internationals, so much for being a so called " Finisher ".

So watch out.

Last edited:
Always wondered why he did not do as well as he should have in the past. He's in contention for the best ODI player ever quite frankly. And he's finished so many matches, hit boundaries on will. You'd have thought T20 would come natural to him.

His average however now is over 31. Which is pretty good. And even then, he's capable of more. Averaged 53 in 2012.

Back