Multiple killed, dozens injured in Peshawar Police Line mosque blast

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
A blast inside a mosque shook Peshawar’s Police Lines area on Monday, with officials saying that at least 28 people were killed and 150 were injured.

Peshawar Commissioner Riaz Mehsood confirmed the casualties, adding that a rescue operation was underway inside the mosque.

“An emergency has been imposed at hospitals across the city and injured persons are being provided the best medical facilities,” the senior official said.

Meanwhile, Lady Reading Hospital spokesperson Mohammad Asim told Dawn.com that a number of injured persons were in critical condition.

Speaking to the media, Capital City Police Officer (CCPO) Peshawar Muhammad Ijaz Khan said that the roof of the mosque collapsed after the blast. “A number of jawans are still stuck under the rubble and rescuers are trying to pull them out.”

“The smell of explosives has been detected but it is too early to say anything substantial,” he said.

Khan said between 300 to 400 police officials were present in the area at the time of the blast. “It is apparent that a security lapse occurred,” the CCPO told the media.

He added that the bodies and injured persons have been moved to the LRH.

Dawn.com’s correspondent at the blast site said the explosion took place at around 1:40pm as Zuhr prayers were being offered. He said personnel of the police, army and bomb disposal squad were present inside the mosque.

The reporter said a portion of the building had collapsed and several people — especially those standing in the front row during the prayers — were believed to be under it.

Visuals run on television channels showed people gathered around the collapsed wall of the mosque.

The police have also closed roads leading to the Red Zone.

It is still unclear whether a bomb was planted in the mosque or if it was a suicide attack. So far, no one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The last major incident of such a nature had taken place in Peshawar last year, when a suicide blast inside a Shia mosque in Kocha Risaldar area claimed 63 lives.

Condemnations

In a statement issued later in the day, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif strongly condemned the blast and said that the attackers behind the incident “have nothing to do with Islam”.

“Terrorists want to create fear by targeting those who perform the duty of defending Pakistan,” he said.

The premier paid tribute to the martyrs and promised that their sacrifices will not go in vain. “The entire nation is standing united against the menace of terrorism.”

PM Shehbaz also said that a comprehensive strategy will be adopted to counter the deteriorating law and order situation in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and the federal government will help provinces in increasing their anti-terrorism capacity.

Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, while condemning the attack, said that “terrorist incidents before the local and general elections were meaningful”.

A tweet by PPP’s media cell quoted Bilawal as saying that strict action will be taken against the terrorists, their patrons and their facilitators.

Bilawal stressed that the National Action Plan was the only solution to the issue of terrorism and promised: “it would be implemented strictly”.

He also called party workers and position-holders to donate their blood to save the lives of the injured.

PTI Chairman Imran Khan also strongly condemned the “terrorist suicide attack” in Peshawar and expressed sympathies with the families of the victims.

“It is imperative we improve our intelligence gathering & properly equip our police forces to combat the growing threat of terrorism,” he added.

Meanwhile, former human rights minister Shireen Mazari termed the bomber’s “access to a central area of the provincial capital” as another “intel failure”.

“Our police are frontline defenders against terrorists, especially in urban areas and need better resources, including equipment,” she added.

Islamabad Inspector General Dr Akbar Nasir Khan issued directions for a “security high-alert” to be placed in the capital, a tweet by Islamabad Police said.

It said that security at all entry and exit points of the city has been increased and monitoring was being done through the “Safe City” system.

The police added that snipers had been placed at “important points and buildings” and the police were provided with thermal imaging facilities.

DAWN

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Strongly condemn the terrorist suicide attack in police lines mosque Peshawar during prayers. My prayers & condolences go to victims families. It is imperative we improve our intelligence gathering & properly equip our police forces to combat the growing threat of terrorism.</p>— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) <a href="https://twitter.com/ImranKhanPTI/status/1619987069824307200?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 30, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RIP to victims...common people suffers in all these.

Rip to the victims. Why all of a sudden security is Deteriorating in Pakistan. How is it possible that this sucide bomber avoided four security levels and carried attack in highly security zone area?

This looks like direct declaration of war. RIP to all victims.
No entity should undermine the writ of Government and its authority. Hoping the terrorists are caught along with their leaders.

Rip to the victims. Why all of a sudden security is Deteriorating in Pakistan. How is it possible that this sucide bomber avoided four security levels and carried attack in highly security zone area?

Was the security services not aware or not active?

RIP to all those who died. Human life has no value in Pakistan.

RIP to the victims and condolences to the families.

Seems like the worst terrorist attack in years.

Responsibility claimed by the TTP. The mosque was frequented by policemen.

Lar auw bar yaw afghan kaum strikes again

Please continue giving these tribals and Afghans gentle body massages and send their convicted goons with amnesty to Turkey. Any other country would have butchered them and sold of their women and kids.

Rich coming from taliban khan who settled all these ttp and their families goats and baggage back jnto pakistan , have these bandits accepted the law of the land.

No they haven't

So why did taliban khan give them amnesty and was the biggest proponent of free movement of afghan refugees as well .

Why doesn't our goverment declare these people khwarij and fasiqs what are they waiting for .

They are openly murdering people and carrying out haram acts like this and that too in a mosque which is house of Allah and has quran there. Why don't barlevis do blasphemy law on ttp for destroying mosque and quran ?

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi rajiun.

Which disgusting and vile animals have carried out this attack?

Why doesn't our goverment declare these people khwarij and fasiqs what are they waiting for .

They are openly murdering people and carrying out haram acts like this and that too in a mosque which is house of Allah and has quran there. Why don't barlevis do blasphemy law on ttp for destroying mosque and quran ?
Pakistan army and govt is toothless

Just read this news on Indian news website, heart goes out to the victims and their families. Deepest condolences. Praying for the safety of everyone in Pakistan and around the world. Very very sad to know this.

Lar auw bar yaw afghan kaum strikes again

Please continue giving these tribals and Afghans gentle body massages and send their convicted goons with amnesty to Turkey. Any other country would have butchered them and sold of their women and kids.

Not to forget, Pakistan recently released 100 TTP fighters as a goodwill gesture but the TTP refused a peace deal after getting hold of their men. Pakistan military is a circus and the most toothless and spineless fighting force on the planet.

Blasphemy law is only for minorities and the weak. Barelevis and TLP thugs cannot dare to pick on someone who can retaliate.

Police officers were among the 33 killed and 150 wounded in a blast at a mosque inside a highly sensitive Pakistani police headquarters on Monday, prompting the government to put the country on high alert.

The attack happened during afternoon worship in the provincial capital of Peshawar, close to former tribal areas that border Afghanistan where militancy has been steadily rising.

A frantic rescue mission was underway at the mosque, which had an entire wall and some of its roof blown out by the force of the blast.

“Many policemen are buried under the rubble,” said Peshawar police chief Muhammad Ijaz Khan, who estimated between 300 and 400 officers usually attended prayers at the mosque.

“Efforts are being made to get them out safely,” he said.

Bloodied survivors emerged limping from the wreckage, while bodies were ferried away in ambulances as the rescue operation continued.

“It’s an emergency situation,” Muhammad Asim Khan, a spokesman for the main hospital in Peshawar told AFP, putting the death toll at 33.

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa governor Ghulam Ali put the death toll at 28 and 150 wounded, most of them policemen.

The police headquarters in Peshawar is in one of the most tightly controlled areas of the city, housing intelligence and counter-terrorism bureaus, and is next door to the regional secretariat.

The country was put on high alert after the blast, with checkpoints ramped up and extra security forces deployed, while in the capital Islamabad snipers were deployed on buildings and at city entrance points.

“Terrorists want to create fear by targeting those who perform the duty of defending Pakistan,” said Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif in a statement.

“Those fighting against Pakistan will be wiped out from the face of earth.”

‘Black smoke rising’
Officers said the blast came from the second row of worshippers, with bomb disposal teams probing the possibility of a suicide attack.

Shahid Ali, a policeman who survived, said the explosion took place seconds after the imam started prayers.

“I saw black smoke rising to the sky. I ran out to save my life,” the 47-year-old told AFP.

“The screams of the people are still echoing in my mind,” he added. “People were screaming for help.”

The drastic security breach came on the day United Arab Emirates (UAE) President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan had been due to visit Islamabad, although the trip was cancelled at the last minute due to bad weather.

Pakistan is also preparing to host an International Monetary Fund (IMF) delegation on Tuesday as it works towards unlocking a vital bailout loan to prevent a looming default.

AFP

Last edited:
59 killed, 157 injured in blast at Peshawar Police Lines mosque

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">While the pain of the grieving families cannot be described in words, I express my heartfelt condolences & most sincere sympathies. My message to the perpetrators of today's despicable incident is that you can't underestimate the resolve of our people. <a href="https://t.co/edUJ6SbP3M">https://t.co/edUJ6SbP3M</a></p>— Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) <a href="https://twitter.com/CMShehbaz/status/1620081782682157056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 30, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hope all deceased rest in peace. More often than not, it's the innocent people who suffer from these dastardly attacks.

Hope these terrorists rot in hell.

Such a sad sight

May ALLAH swt grant each of these the highest ranks in Jannah, Ameen

FnvQiNmWYAwI0tM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My heart cries seeing people of my country in pain, praying for the quick recovery of all the victims and my thoughts go out with the affected families. This must stop!<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PeshawarAttack?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PeshawarAttack</a></p>— Shaheen Shah Afridi (@iShaheenAfridi) <a href="https://twitter.com/iShaheenAfridi/status/1620002171453575170?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 30, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), known as the Pakistani Taliban, claimed responsibility for the suicide attack, saying it was part of a revenge attack for killed TTP commander Umar Khalid Khurasani who was killed in Afghanistan in August last.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/46-...in-pakistan-3736320#pfrom=home-ndtv_topscroll

TTP should be wiped out. Vermin like ISIS.

What kind of Muslim does suicide bombing inside a mosque? Auzubillah. Quite mindboggling.

May be they do not consider Pakistanis as Muslims.

From what I read, I think they were targeting this place because it is frequented by police/army people.

These animals are the even more radical wing of the Taliban so don’t think they value monuments etc for eg, when they blew up Buddha statutes.

TTP should be wiped out. Vermin like ISIS.

What kind of Muslim does suicide bombing inside a mosque? Auzubillah. Quite mindboggling.
So, guess it is okay to do suicide bombings and shootings outside the mosque and kill non muslims.

Taliban needs to be wiped out from the face of this earth. There is no peace treaty with these animals.

Have you seen the comments by the Khawaja Asif and others on the elections and you see what's going on. Maryam let the cat out of the bag with deshagardi and wardi a few years ago.

TTP are Khawarij takfiris, not devout Muslims, but expected nothing better from you anyway.

I think you will be killed if you said that to the face of a taliban. They would strongly disagree with you. I did not make all these divisions. You guys did. That’s why there are no non Muslims left in your lands. So now you have turned on each other . Was predicted by multiple social scientist decades ago. Terrible situation.

Condolences to the Victims.

This clearly looks like PDM and Establishments tactics to delay the elections.

Why can’t it be the taliban. They have done this before and they have claimed responsibility already. FYI o don’t care of pdm . They are ****. But the taliban have already claimed it’s them

As we have seen today, they are desperate for the elections not to go ahead and they need the chaos to stop the elections. If you told me a year ago that my army would kill people, I would have given you a proper vitriol but we now know that these guys are under orders from criminals and killing people is OK. Arshad Sharif was killed and IK was very lucky.

As we have seen today, they are desperate for the elections not to go ahead and they need the chaos to stop the elections. If you told me a year ago that my army would kill people, I would have given you a proper vitriol but we now know that these guys are under orders from criminals and killing people is OK. Arshad Sharif was killed and IK was very lucky.

I found it quiet telling when TTP announced that they would be marching to Islamabad at the same time when PTI had announced their March to Islamabad in 2022. It is very clear the Pakistani army has the TTP in their pocket.

I found it quiet telling when TTP announced that they would be marching to Islamabad at the same time when PTI had announced their March to Islamabad in 2022. It is very clear the Pakistani army has the TTP in their pocket.

That was TLP. Another organisation created by the snakes (which again i never believed at the time but it is very obvious today). Its as if they spend their days making videos and playing games with peoples lives in cahoots with the mafia.

The day when Afghan taliban came into power and we saw pakistanis and overseas Pakistani see this as an achievement, thats the day I said it that Pakistan's security is now at risk.

PTI tried to appease the Taliban and even released and helped released TTP commanders... Afghanistan is now using the TTP against us like they have always done.

Just to remove the Indian infuence we got ourselves involved in Afghanistan again, and now look at us pay the price.

Thank you PTI and Pak Army.

I think you will be killed if you said that to the face of a taliban. They would strongly disagree with you. I did not make all these divisions. You guys did. That’s why there are no non Muslims left in your lands. So now you have turned on each other . Was predicted by multiple social scientist decades ago. Terrible situation.

I don't care if the TTP disagrees with me, they are considered Khawarij takfiris by the vast majority of the Ulema. In Pakistan, there are many fatwas declaring them to be heretics and no one considers them as Muslims.

Only Islamophobes like you think that they are devout Muslims,lol

The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), known as the Pakistani Taliban, claimed responsibility for the suicide attack, saying it was part of a revenge attack for killed TTP commander Umar Khalid Khurasani who was killed in Afghanistan in August last.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/46-...in-pakistan-3736320#pfrom=home-ndtv_topscroll
Like a said in some other thread, these illiterate animals attacked Army helicopters from the mountains part of a revenge attack and now this attack.
They will attack again and again as long as border is open, and by the way now its too late anyways because their third and fourth generation is residing inside Pakistan and they are of same breed same brainwashed mentality :jinnah

Inna lillahay wa inna ilehayrajoon.
Deep condolences to all who lost their loved ones.

I won't be surprised if Pak intelligence and army is behind it now that the country needs money, it would be a great idea to go to the world with a begging bowl to get "funds for war against terrorism".

Death toll from attack on mosque in Peshawar’s Police Lines rises to 88

The death toll from the attack on a mosque in Peshawar’s Police Lines area a day earlier rose to 88 on Tuesday after more bodies were recovered from the attack site, a spokesperson for the Lady Reading Hospital (LRH) confirmed.

On Friday, 59 people, mostly police officials, were martyred and over 150 were injured after an explosion ripped through a mosque in Peshawar’s Red Zone area.

The outlawed Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed responsibility for the attack. It later distanced itself from it.

In a statement issued today, LRH spokesperson Muhammad Asim said that all the deceased persons have been identified, while 57 of those injured were under treatment at the facility.

He added that a total of 157 injured people were brought to the hospital on Monday and most of them had been sent back home after medical aid.

Meanwhile, Rescue 1122 spokesperson Bilal Faizi said that a rescue operation at the blast site was under way for the past 18 hours.

“This morning we are going to remove the last part of the collapsed roof so we can recover more bodies, but we are not hopeful of reaching any survivors,” he told AFP.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1734573/d...-mosque-in-peshawars-police-lines-rises-to-88

“Broken chains of slavery” is coming back home to roost. Those who thought that that they could rehabilitate TTP, have put Pakistan in 25 years of civil war. This is not ending anytime soon now.

Heartbreaking to see people dying for no reasons in bomb blasts. Hope sanity prevail in Pakistan across all corners. IK was championing Taliban to get legitimacy from the world, and this is what they are doing to Pakistan.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Through their despicable actions, terrorists want to spread fear & paranoia among the masses & reverse our hard-earned gains against terrorism & militancy. My message to all political forces is one of unity against anti-Pakistan elements. We can fight our political fights later.</p>— Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) <a href="https://twitter.com/CMShehbaz/status/1620370925391847425?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 31, 2023</a></blockquote>

The day when Afghan taliban came into power and we saw pakistanis and overseas Pakistani see this as an achievement, thats the day I said it that Pakistan's security is now at risk.

PTI tried to appease the Taliban and even released and helped released TTP commanders... Afghanistan is now using the TTP against us like they have always done.

Just to remove the Indian infuence we got ourselves involved in Afghanistan again, and now look at us pay the price.

Thank you PTI and Pak Army.

Can you not think beyond PTI, either for Misbah or against PTI, . Don't you have anything else to sell FGS.

Can you not think beyond PTI, either for Misbah or against PTI, . Don't you have anything else to sell FGS.

Those are the facts.

Pti backed ttp and allowed ehsanullah ehsan get away.

Why should ptis responsibility not be mentioned here?

“Broken chains of slavery” is coming back home to roost. Those who thought that that they could rehabilitate TTP, have put Pakistan in 25 years of civil war. This is not ending anytime soon now.

Its hilarious that our issue with afghanistan was that it was under indian influence...

Just for the sake of Pakistani influence, guess what happened, TTP has returned.

Maybe india had better influence than Pakistan, atleast ttp was kept in prison.

Our foreign policy was soo ridiculous during 2018-2021 and the civilian govt allowed the army and isi to dictate the foreign policy.

Are Afghan Talibans working with TTP?

TTP should be dealt with decisively.

Last edited:
Pakistani army (at least some very powerful key individuals), establishment and some politicians are direct responsible for this terrorist attack.

All Pakistanis can die and the land of Pakistan will be divided in small pieces before corrupt den of thieves/generals etc. lose a cent of their corrupt money.

Unfortunately, the only real victims are the common civilian people.

ISI / Pakistani security agencies etc. are focused on politics instead of their actual job. May the handlers rot in hell!

These khanzeers should be hunted and killed without any pity.

Can't imagine the pain of all the families at this tragedy. May Allah help them and reduce their pain immensely.

I don't care if the TTP disagrees with me, they are considered Khawarij takfiris by the vast majority of the Ulema. In Pakistan, there are many fatwas declaring them to be heretics and no one considers them as Muslims.

Only Islamophobes like you think that they are devout Muslims,lol
No they themselves think they are devout Muslims. Please wake up

A day after one of the deadliest terrorist attacks in Pakistan’s history, the country's top military brass on Tuesday met and discussed the prevailing and emerging terror threat.

The corps commanders conferences was presided over by Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Asim Munir, who on Monday was in Peshawar along with Prime Minister Shebhaz Sharif following the suicide bombing at Police Lines killing scores of people mostly policemen.

Yes they THINK they are devout Muslims.

Billions around the world who are not like them.

Your feeble attempts at generalizing Muslims are easy to see through. Don't do it.

A day after one of the deadliest terrorist attacks in Pakistan’s history, the country's top military brass on Tuesday met and discussed the prevailing and emerging terror threat.

The corps commanders conferences was presided over by Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Asim Munir, who on Monday was in Peshawar along with Prime Minister Shebhaz Sharif following the suicide bombing at Police Lines killing scores of people mostly policemen.

Express Tribune

Yes they THINK they are devout Muslims.

Billions around the world who are not like them.

Your feeble attempts at generalizing Muslims are easy to see through. Don't do it.

Imran khan was supporting them just a while back. Certain segment of people in Pakistan support them. These are all facts.

If they think they are devout Muslims, so what? Do you think Muslim world approve of TTP? They just bombed a mosque.

They have crossed a red line and should be wiped out.

Last edited:
If they think they are devout Muslims, so what? Do you think Muslim world approve of TTP? They just bombed a mosque.

They have crossed a red line and should be wiped out.

Some people in the Muslim world approved of them when they were bombing elsewhere. Imran khan said there are also good taliban .

Inna lilaahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon. May Allah have mercy on the deceased and and May He curse the perpetrators.

America wants a strong India to act as a regional counter to China. Part of the strategy to achieve that involves taking Pakistan's attention away from Indian border and refocusing it towards the Afghan border. Therefore I have no doubt there is CIA involvement in all of this. That is why these incidents are happening. There is a wider geopolitical plan taking place.

The biggest supporter of TTP over the last two decades has been ISI. This is a fact. Now TTP is turning on the hand that feed them .

Inna lilaahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon. May Allah have mercy on the deceased and and May He curse the perpetrators.

America wants a strong India to act as a regional counter to China. Part of the strategy to achieve that involves taking Pakistan's attention away from Indian border and refocusing it towards the Afghan border. Therefore I have no doubt there is CIA involvement in all of this. That is why these incidents are happening. There is a wider geopolitical plan taking place.

or, you know, simpler explanation where chickens are coming come to roost? Lots of posters, even in this forum which has well educated individuals, were rejoicing when Taliban took over Afghanistan. What did y'all think will happen when a fundamentalist cult takes over adjoining country and sees part of your country as theirs? Even as recently as last there were talks about how Pak govt wanted to settle some of these people in Pakistan. I don't know why any such talk is tolerated by common people in pakistan? don't they read news and align to vote for what is better for them?

or, you know, simpler explanation where chickens are coming come to roost? Lots of posters, even in this forum which has well educated individuals, were rejoicing when Taliban took over Afghanistan. What did y'all think will happen when a fundamentalist cult takes over adjoining country and sees part of your country as theirs? Even as recently as last there were talks about how Pak govt wanted to settle some of these people in Pakistan. I don't know why any such talk is tolerated by common people in pakistan? don't they read news and align to vote for what is better for them?

It’s hypocritical that Now people are of these taliban need to be stopped. Where were you when they were bombing schools, restricting women rights, abusing minorities. Many on here were cheering them on. As you said. Chicken have come home to roost ( and I say this with great pain, not jubilation) .

Back