Muslims In Badrinath Told To Offer Namaz 40 km Away On Eid

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Police have asked Muslims in Badrinath to celebrate Bakrid (Eid al-Adha) in Joshimath, about 40 km away from the temple town.
The minority community residing in Badrinath mostly consists of migrant labourers working on reconstruction projects at the Himalayan temple.

"A meeting with members of the minority community, priests and contractors engaged in the projects was held on Tuesday. It was collectively decided that the 'namaz' of Bakrid will be offered in Joshimath and not in Badrinath," K C Bhatt, SHO, Badrinath police station told PTI on Wednesday.

No one has any objection to offering of namaz on the occasion of Bakrid outside the temple town in reverence to it, he said.

Badrinath is one of the major Char Dham destinations.

Talking to PTI, Badrish Panda panchayat president Praveen Dhyani said people of all communities agreed at the meeting held at the Badrinath police station to maintain the dignity of the town. The Muslim community agreed not to offer Bakrid prayers in Badrinath and assured that they would go to Joshimath to celebrate the occasion.

Two years ago, tension broke out in Badrinath after the minority community members, mostly construction workers, allegedly offered secret prayers inside a building on Bakrid.

Mr Dhyani said the incident was widely condemned and a case was registered, the probe into which is still going on.

NDTV

And more...

Authorities in occupied Kashmir have banned prayers at the historical Eidgah in Srinagar over fears of anti-India processions, it emerged on Thursday.

According to a report in The Indian Express, a statement issued by the management committee of Srinagar’s Jamia Masjid said authorities had barred Eidul Azha prayers at the central Eidgah.

“This is to inform the public that authorities have conveyed to Anjuman Auqaf Jama Masjid that, once again, Eid ul Adha prayers will not be allowed at the historic and central Eidgah Srinagar on Thursday (June 29),” the statement said.

“The district administration conveyed this decision to Anjuman Auqaf officials today (Wednesday) morning,” it added.

“The government fears that it would be risky to allow a large number of people to congregate at one place as it could turn into an anti-India procession as in the past,” The Indian Express said.

It stated that the Auqaf had termed the government’s decision to ban the Eid prayers at Eidgah “unfortunate and condemnable”.

“Barring prayers at Eidgah, which is the central place designated for special community prayers, is extremely unfortunate and condemnable, hurting the sentiments of lakhs of Muslims of the valley and outside and a poor reflection on the state of affairs in Jammu and Kashmir,” the report quoted the Auqaf as saying.

The Indian Express added that the Auqaf also denounced the “continued detention” of Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, who traditionally delivers the Eid sermon before prayers.

Separately, the Kashmir Media Service said authorities locked the main gate of the Jamia Masjid in Srinagar while huge Indian troops, paramilitary, and police personnel were seen on roads in Nowhatta and several areas of the city to thwart pro-freedom protests.

DAWN

It’s the slaughter practice that is not welcome. Badrinath carries huge religious reverence to Hindus.

Hinduism and Islam are antagonistic and there is no place for both to simultaneously exist if one is to really take religion very seriously.

The coexistence works in metro cities , corporate offices. At religious sites both religions cancel each other and whoever is dominant wins, in this case the Hindu population at Badrinath.

There is no reason to be shocked or offended.

Police have asked Muslims in Badrinath to celebrate Bakrid (Eid al-Adha) in Joshimath, about 40 km away from the temple town.
The minority community residing in Badrinath mostly consists of migrant labourers working on reconstruction projects at the Himalayan temple.

"A meeting with members of the minority community, priests and contractors engaged in the projects was held on Tuesday. It was collectively decided that the 'namaz' of Bakrid will be offered in Joshimath and not in Badrinath," K C Bhatt, SHO, Badrinath police station told PTI on Wednesday.

No one has any objection to offering of namaz on the occasion of Bakrid outside the temple town in reverence to it, he said.

Badrinath is one of the major Char Dham destinations.

Talking to PTI, Badrish Panda panchayat president Praveen Dhyani said people of all communities agreed at the meeting held at the Badrinath police station to maintain the dignity of the town. The Muslim community agreed not to offer Bakrid prayers in Badrinath and assured that they would go to Joshimath to celebrate the occasion.

Two years ago, tension broke out in Badrinath after the minority community members, mostly construction workers, allegedly offered secret prayers inside a building on Bakrid.

Mr Dhyani said the incident was widely condemned and a case was registered, the probe into which is still going on.

NDTV

This seems like an ok compromise

It’s the slaughter practice that is not welcome. Badrinath carries huge religious reverence to Hindus.

Hinduism and Islam are antagonistic and there is no place for both to simultaneously exist if one is to really take religion very seriously.

The coexistence works in metro cities , corporate offices. At religious sites both religions cancel each other and whoever is dominant wins, in this case the Hindu population at Badrinath.

Nothing was mentioned about slaughter, it was about the right as an Indian citizen to read Eid Namaz. To punt them 40 km away is disgraceful

Nothing was mentioned about slaughter, it was about the right as an Indian citizen to read Eid Namaz. To punt them 40 km away is disgraceful

Serious Question- when you guys wouldn’t even allow non-Muslims to enter Mecca and Medina let alone pray, why would you think it wrong if somebody requested the Non-Hindus to not pray in Badrinath which is one of the most pious sites as per Hindu religion?

so basically, India is not a secular country

Serious Question- when you guys wouldn’t even allow non-Muslims to enter Mecca and Medina let alone pray, why would you think it wrong if somebody requested the Non-Hindus to not pray in Badrinath which is one of the most pious sites as per Hindu religion?

So we steered the conversation from Badrinath to Mecca and Medina and also you're factually incorrect, non-Muslims can enter Medina just not the Masjid Al-Nawabi compound. Some amount of whataboutery going on here but not addressing the issue at hand.

So we steered the conversation from Badrinath to Mecca and Medina and also you're factually incorrect, non-Muslims can enter Medina just not the Masjid Al-Nawabi compound. Some amount of whataboutery going on here but not addressing the issue at hand.

The fanatical Hindus always end up comparing to Islam, I mean, if they believe Hinduism does not discriminate but assimilates, then why not address the OP by pointing out the positives of Hinduism instead of steering the discussion towards Islam.

The answer is obvious, RSS supporters put Islamists to shame.

Why aren't non-Muslims allowed to enter the compound?

so basically, India is not a secular country

This is not about India but about a revered Hindu pilgrimage. There is difference.

Like I said above, Hinduism and Islam are antagonistic and can only coexist in metro cities and corporate offices where secularism is at full display and it’s completely healthy. That model cannot be replicated to smaller cities and especially to pilgrimage cities.

The fanatical Hindus always end up comparing to Islam, I mean, if they believe Hinduism does not discriminate but assimilates, then why not address the OP by pointing out the positives of Hinduism instead of steering the discussion towards Islam.

The answer is obvious, RSS supporters put Islamists to shame.

I have asked this same question a few times but the answer is usually resounding silence. Just look at where India is headed today, culturally and intellectually. They are trying to rebuild Hindu thought along Islamic principles. No wonder the leadership of India is now compared to the Taliban....and yet their posters here rejoice in it.

I have asked this same question a few times but the answer is usually resounding silence. Just look at where India is headed today, culturally and intellectually. They are trying to rebuild Hindu thought along Islamic principles. No wonder the leadership of India is now compared to the Taliban....and yet their posters here rejoice in it.

For me it is confirmed that the majority of RSS followers have no idea what Hinduism is (hence steering away any discussion), and on top of this have no idea what secularism is.

The very definition of a religious fanaticism.

For me it is confirmed that the majority of RSS followers have no idea what Hinduism is (hence steering away any discussion), and on top of this have no idea what secularism is.

The very definition of a religious fanaticism.

Indians do not need to learn about Secularism from Muslim countries.

Secularism cannot mean you offend the overwhelmingly dominant native religion in their pilgrimage sites.

Indians do not need to learn about Secularism from Muslim countries.

Secularism cannot mean you offend the overwhelmingly dominant native religion in their pilgrimage sites.

You are doing it again, steering away.

Indians can learn a lot about secularism from nations like UK, the West, you know, where your brethren are desperate to flee to, which is where I am posting from.

But thanks for confirming what most us know, your version of Hinduism is derived from sound-clips, and any criticism of India/Hinduism, is an opportunity for your lot to diss Islam while ignoring the cold hard truths of Hinduism.

Last edited:
You are doing it again, steering away.

Indians can learn a lot about secularism from nations like UK, the West, you know, where your brethren are desperate to flee to, which is where I am posting from.

But thanks for confirming what most us know, your version of Hinduism is derived from sound-clips, and any criticism of India/Hinduism, is an opportunity for your lot to diss Islam while ignoring the cold hard truths of Hinduism.

Indian can learn from US , Australia on secularism esp on one country one law, India right now doesnt have it, appeasement of any religion happens based on the party in power.

Its not my rule, you need to ask Saudi govt. but you could probably guess right? or look it up.

Unlike Judaism, Christianity, or Islam - there is no cornerstone in Hinduism. This is why places like Mecca, Jerusalem, and Vatican, are known as holy cities - but there is no holy city in Hinduism.

It will be truly secular only if it has one country one law, right now its a raitha pandering to religions.

What did you expect when your majority population votes in a government based on your majority religion?

Unlike Judaism, Christianity, or Islam - there is no cornerstone in Hinduism. This is why places like Mecca, Jerusalem, and Vatican, are known as holy cities - but there is no holy city in Hinduism.

That’s the difference between Abrahamic and Dharmic.. not Hinduism as such.
Amirtsar, Varanasi, Bodhgaya are holy cities for Dharmic ones.

What did you expect when your majority population votes in a government based on your majority religion?

They didn’t make it power till 1999.. it was pandered to Islam and Christianity before that.

What do you mean what i expected lol, I expected Congress to have one country one law like democracies they were trying to mimic insteas they allowed personal laws for religion and sidelined Sikhism until 2005.

Even when pandering to religions they (Congress) sidelined Dharmic ones.

Last edited:
They didn’t make it power till 1999.. it was pandered to Islam and Christianity before that.
What do you mean what i expected lol, I expected Congress to have one country one law like democracies they were trying to mimic.

I am just pointing out the discrepency here. So your updated view is that pandering to religion is wrong unless it's pandering to the majority one?

This is not about India but about a revered Hindu pilgrimage. There is difference.

Like I said above, Hinduism and Islam are antagonistic and can only coexist in metro cities and corporate offices where secularism is at full display and it’s completely healthy. That model cannot be replicated to smaller cities and especially to pilgrimage cities.

umm. Is india a secular country or not, i dont care about a metro citiy office.

There is no difference.

Its amusing that some posters here are giving lectures on secularism when there is hardly any muslim majority country that is secular.

There are restrictions on entry of non Muslims to muslim holy places and its nothing wrong.

Similarly there are restrictions at Hindu places of pilgrimage. Just because Hindus agree to a secular nation, doesn't mean they will compromise on their religious beliefs.

Those giving lectures on secularism were the first to reject it when a thread on PP was made, asking if Pakistan should be secular.

They were the first to rejoice that Hagia Sofia is a mosque again and celebrated it as Turkeys return to Islamic roots.

And so on and so forth.

Then they can ban slaughter. Why do they need to ban namaz? How does offering namaz offend Hindus?

What do you mean what i expected lol, I expected Congress to have one country one law like democracies they were trying to mimic insteas they allowed personal laws for religion and sidelined Sikhism until 2005.

Even when pandering to religions they (Congress) sidelined Dharmic ones.

Sidelined? You mean exploited? Like taking over Hindu temples and using billions of dollars worth of assets as public property?

Or

Only codifying the Hindu personal laws and leaving aside Islam?

Or

Passing the Waqf act.

Or

Passing the places of worship act

The population of Mecca and Medina are 100% Muslim for the last 1,400 years. What reason does a non Muslim have to go there?

In this town the Muslims are already there working, and are being asked to go 40 km away. These Muslims are also citizens of India, unlike Saudi which is 100% Muslim.

The population of Mecca and Medina are 100% Muslim for the last 1,400 years. What reason does a non Muslim have to go there?

In this town the Muslims are already there working, and are being asked to go 40 km away. These Muslims are also citizens of India, unlike Saudi which is 100% Muslim.

As i said,

When in majority, Islamic laws take precedence.

When in minority, talk about secularism or minority rights etc etc etc.

A small question, Does Saudi allow non Muslims to be citizens?

Can ba Saudi change his religion?

Its amusing that some posters here are giving lectures on secularism when there is hardly any muslim majority country that is secular.

These are all Muslim majority countries that are officially secular. I would not count that is "hardly any"

1 - Albania
2 - Bosnia
3 - Kosovo
4 - Kyrgyzstan
5 - Tajikistan
6 - Turkmenistan
7 - Uzbekistan
8 - Kazakhstan
9 - Azerbaijan
10 - Burkina Faso
11 - Chad
12 - Guinea
13 - Gambia
14 - Guinea-Bissau
15 - Indonesia
16 - Mali
17 - Niger
18 - Nigeria
19 - Senegal
20 - Sierra Leone
21 - Sudan
22 - Syria
23 - Turkey

As i said,

When in majority, Islamic laws take precedence.

When in minority, talk about secularism or minority rights etc etc etc.

There are other Muslim majority countries which are secular (made a list for you above), so this is nonsense.

A small question, Does Saudi allow non Muslims to be citizens?

Saudis dont give foreigners citizenhip. Has nothing to do with religion.

Can ba Saudi change his religion?

Nope, however they should be allowed to.

There are other Muslim majority countries which are secular (made a list for you above), so this is nonsense.

Saudis dont give foreigners citizenhip. Has nothing to do with religion.

Nope, however they should be allowed to.

Thanks for the list. Will go through and reply. Knew about some of them. Some of them are new to me.

How many Islamic countries allow citizens to give up Islam?

Thanks for the list. Will go through and reply. Knew about some of them. Some of them are new to me.

How many Islamic countries allow citizens to give up Islam?

One would assume all the secular ones would have no issue with it.

Also even in a Islamic state like Pakistan I don't believe there is anything in the constitution that says you cant change religon.

One would assume all the secular ones would have no issue with it.

Also even in a Islamic state like Pakistan I don't believe there is anything in the constitution that says you cant change religon.

Apostasy isn't punishable by death in Pakistan?

You must go through the various cases in Pakistan.

Esp the rulings of federal sharia court.

I am just pointing out the discrepency here. So your updated view is that pandering to religion is wrong unless it's pandering to the majority one?

Pandering to religion is wrong period, there won’t be any BJP at all.. 1984- 1 seat lol.
Great Rajiv Gandhi comes in screws up with Shah Bano.

You need to direct that question to MBS and his government, just make sure to stay outside the embassy and not in.

Would it not be better to hire local hindu or sikh builders to construct the temple rather than hire migrant Muslim workers who would obviously not have the same sensitivities to dharmic holy sites?

Would it not be better to hire local hindu or sikh builders to construct the temple rather than hire migrant Muslim workers who would obviously not have the same sensitivities to dharmic holy sites?
Then they would get flack for not hiring Muslims.

Lose lose scenario for Hindus in India at the moment. They are one of the most oppressed communities in the world.

Then they would get flack for not hiring Muslims.

Lose lose scenario for Hindus in India at the moment. They are one of the most oppressed communities in the world.

The poor guys had to do their Bakr Eid celebrations in secret and still got castigated. Just seems more sensible to give the work to locals rather than outsource to pesky migrants.

the vegetarian diet makes the local hindu and sikh builders weak

Back