My GN collection

zeusky

Tape Ball Star
Runs
Ok--- on popular demand here is the current stock of GN I have at the moment; I particularly like the Nitro Carbo and the PB Atomic. I will start adding the pictures shortly.

The first one:

Nitro 5 Star-- weight 2.9; good and nice profile. Nice pick-up. Has 9 grains with a little heartwood near the inside edge. A good little bat. Of all the current GN bats, I prefer the Nitro the most because the profile seems most complete and the sweetspot is quite extended without compromising on the pick up.

Attachments

• IMG_9589.JPG
    IMG_9589.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_9591.JPG
    IMG_9591.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_9592.JPG
    IMG_9592.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 177
The second one:

GN Evo 5 Star

Weight: 2.11
Has 10 straight grains and picks up really nice

Attachments

• IMG_9623.JPG
    IMG_9623.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_9624.JPG
    IMG_9624.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_9625.JPG
    IMG_9625.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_9626.JPG
    IMG_9626.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 177
Now comes a special one:

GN Powerbow Atomic

Handle says 2.7; weighed it on my machine-- was 2.8.

Beautiful face and grains; pick up is superb; has a lot of meat for the weight. Enjoy!!

Attachments

• IMG_9617.JPG
    IMG_9617.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_9618.JPG
    IMG_9618.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_9613.JPG
    IMG_9613.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_9615.JPG
    IMG_9615.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_9614.JPG
    IMG_9614.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 172
Next is another special one:

GN Nitro Carbo

Weight: 2.8

Huge profile and edges are 37-38 mm. Extended sweetspot; one of those bats which makes you gel with it in a second.

Attachments

• IMG_9627.JPG
    IMG_9627.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_9628.JPG
    IMG_9628.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_9629.JPG
    IMG_9629.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_9630.JPG
    IMG_9630.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_9631.JPG
    IMG_9631.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 172
Gray Nicolls Nitro Carbo wins by miles! It looks amazing stick really, I'm very very impressed with it.

I rate Gray Nicolls bats very high as they perform quite well once they have fully opened.

Thanks CD; somehow the feel of the bat is so amazing; so is the Atomic I must add but I would have preferred the earlier PB profile.

I agree with you---maybe it is just me but I somehow have gelled better with GN than GM over the years. GM is good too but....

GM is better than GN in terms of finishing etc but I rate GN over GM in terms of performance however time can prove me wrong.

Carbo has stamped edges while others don't which goes on tells how meaty Carbo is

No man; I am in the USA. I just put the Brazilian flag up there when I registered and have been too lazy to change it :)

The Carbo and the Atomic are amazing; both the 5 stars are good but I feel the Nitro to be more comfortable, largely because the Evo is heavier. So here is the scenario: when I bounce an old red cherry gently on the bats in my bedroom, the ricochet from the my Carbo and Atomic keep hitting the ceiling and I am not kidding....with my other bats it does not.

I must add the ceiling is that of a regular rented apartment not as tall as one you find in big houses.

One of my team mate bought Nitro and I have seen it and the profile is lovely. It is an all round sort of bat like Flare in GM's catalogue. I have seen him using it and it goes very well and sweetspot is very long and it is extended.

Also to me Nitro Carbo seem to have the prettiest face as well, it looks the best.

Yes, the Nitro is the most complete bat; what the Carbo or the Atomic handles do I feel is that they reduce the weight of the handle hence increasing the meat of the blade and making the pick up more light. The face kind of keeps you in control of the shots too more than some of the other bats that I have seen or used.

In those Gray Nicolls bats I believe it is just regular bat with plastic thing on top of the handle. I haven't seen one in real life but that is what I have heard it is just a cover etc type of thinge.

Is it? Not sure about that but sure does feel good and that's what matters.

The Carbo is black throughout...the Atomic has this half transparent thing on top....just looked fleetingly....will post pics sometime.

In those Gray Nicolls bats I believe it is just regular bat with plastic thing on top of the handle. I haven't seen one in real life but that is what I have heard it is just a cover etc type of thinge.

I think that's more or less correct. Gray Nics used to do a carbon handle (the fusion), but I'm fairly sure it was banned. Also they'd break very easily.

I think now the handle is just "reinforced" with carbon. Whatever that means.

I think handle has carbon at its 'core' hijacking the term used by LW.

Ah okay jjcs, those Fusion had carbon-core metal rod and I believe they were spliceless like Newbery C6+.

Laver's carbo has a rod too but I think that is legal one no? Read something liek that on Lavers website, I will post pictures of my Laver Carbo handle. When playing shot you feel quite bad jerk I'd say.

Has to be legal; I am sure James would not make an illegal bat.

James Laver designed and tested the CARBOCANE handle in 2002 in order to offer a different handle option to Laver & Wood customers. He has used several different designs since then and released the latest version in May 2008. He has changed the design of the handle to comply with the new laws recently released by the MCC. The new laws require that no more than 10% of the handle is made from materials other than cane, wood or twine. These extra materials also must not project more than 82.6mm into the lower portion of the handle.

James Laver designed and tested the CARBOCANE handle in 2002 in order to offer a different handle option to Laver & Wood customers. He has used several different designs since then and released the latest version in May 2008. He has changed the design of the handle to comply with the new laws recently released by the MCC. The new laws require that no more than 10% of the handle is made from materials other than cane, wood or twine. These extra materials also must not project more than 82.6mm into the lower portion of the handle.

Yes I think that is the 10% core rod that me and CD were talking about.

Ah okay jjcs, those Fusion had carbon-core metal rod and I believe they were spliceless like Newbery C6+.

Laver's carbo has a rod too but I think that is legal one no? Read something liek that on Lavers website, I will post pictures of my Laver Carbo handle. When playing shot you feel quite bad jerk I'd say.

From memory, the Fusions were 100% carbon. That is, there was no wood in the handle at all. A few guys at the club had them, and each one broke. Plus they made a horrible sound.

Fusion was a carbon tube basically, spliced in a regular manner with wood filler used over the carbon in the splice area so it became a wood colour.

The current GN Carbo handles are made from a cane handle, 3 cork springs, a carbon style cap on the handle top and a layer of carbon fibre added around the handle bottom. No carbon actually inside the handle.

Yes, could not resist; all the bats are really good though. But there are pitfalls as well. Look in the thread titled "dangers of online buying".

I haven't bought a bat off them for about a year since my bad experience with them last year. I bought a Kook Ccx bat of them for £45 and it was a good bat but few weeks later the handle cracked and I took it back to the store and they didnt take it back or get it repaired.
I've had top bargains in the past 2 Slazenger hyperblade Ultimate grade bats for £60.
I was at sports direct couple of days ago and they had few Pure/Pro Blade ultimate for £90 with 9/10 grains but didnt buy it coz I remembered the old incident with them.

I just got e-mailed with the tracking number for the bat they are sending as a replacement due to their own mistake; will review it once I get it and if everything is okay with the deal I will definitely be pleasantly surprised.

No; in fact I checked the US customs info and I don't think you ever get hit by customs when importing a cricket bat. Someone else can verify this.

No; in fact I checked the US customs info and I don't think you ever get hit by customs when importing a cricket bat. Someone else can verify this.

Hmm I have heard from few people in US who have got hit by customs...:S :20:

Then I have been lucky so far...knock on wood; one thing I have noticed though: if you get your stuff delivered by a reputable courier company like DHL, it literally just takes a couple of minutes to achieve customs clearance. But if it is by regular post then it take a few days. Also if you get something from Europe it takes much little time. I got a bat from Pakistan last year---it underwent customs processing for more than 5 days and I had to call up DHL to inquire about the delay and after they intervened the clearing process was complete in a day.

Then I have been lucky so far...knock on wood; one thing I have noticed though: if you get your stuff delivered by a reputable courier company like DHL, it literally just takes a couple of minutes to achieve customs clearance. But if it is by regular post then it take a few days. Also if you get something from Europe it takes much little time. I got a bat from Pakistan last year---it underwent customs processing for more than 5 days and I had to call up DHL to inquire about the delay and after they intervened the clearing process was complete in a day.

Thats true, however, when i get my stuff from Pakistan via DHL then it is not held in customs for a longer period of time.

It is not just Pakistan I would say, for example if you get a bat from UK via Royal Mail then stays in customs for 2-3 days before it is cleared.

Yes, I think the combination of Pakistan/MiddleEast/India via post will take a much longer time than something from the UK via DHL/Fed Ex etc in the Customs Processing dept.

Furthermore you are in Canada; USA is much more intensive in their customs clearance department.

I haven't bought a bat off them for about a year since my bad experience with them last year. I bought a Kook Ccx bat of them for £45 and it was a good bat but few weeks later the handle cracked and I took it back to the store and they didnt take it back or get it repaired.
I've had top bargains in the past 2 Slazenger hyperblade Ultimate grade bats for £60.
I was at sports direct couple of days ago and they had few Pure/Pro Blade ultimate for £90 with 9/10 grains but didnt buy it coz I remembered the old incident with them.

Forgot to ask you: how were those Hyperblades; I had always wanted to try one out but never got a chance. Any opinion and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Hyperblade Ultimate bats were very good, both had 8/9 perfect evenly spaced blemish free grains, and a very very long middle, high to low sweetspot, perfect balance for easy stroke play off back n front foot. They cost £60 each.

Think i remember seeing pics of them apparently one was a plank te other was awesome?

Yeah thats correct one was awesome and other was not so good but i think it would have improved if I knocked in more and played with it.

For 60 Pounds they were amazing yaar, I think pictures are lying somewhere on forum..

Amazing looking bats and longest profiles ever the spine runs frm the shoulder to the toe of the bats. I think I sold them bcoz at that time, I had SS matrix, SF saphire, SG king cobra & Adidas master blaster so I wouldnt have used them much.
Now sports direct hav a Slazenger v360 county, I'm tempted by it, it doesnt have pretty grains or thick profile but for £60 it looks good. Sometimes thin bats still play as good as big profiles bats.

The sweetspot is just too high for that one I feel; it is good for improvisation as per Eoin Morgan :D

Amazing looking bats and longest profiles ever the spine runs frm the shoulder to the toe of the bats. I think I sold them bcoz at that time, I had SS matrix, SF saphire, SG king cobra & Adidas master blaster so I wouldnt have used them much.
Now sports direct hav a Slazenger v360 county, I'm tempted by it, it doesnt have pretty grains or thick profile but for £60 it looks good. Sometimes thin bats still play as good as big profiles bats.

How's your SG King Cobra going?

Back