My SS Ton Limited Edition bat

cricketislife

Debutant
Runs
Hi All:

As promised, I am posting some pictures of my new SS Ton Limited Edition bat that I got this season. It is about 2lb 10oz and has 13 grains with part of it heartwood.

I have oiled it a couple of times and spent about 3hrs knocking it. I have used it in a couple of practice sessions. Ping isn't great yet but it is starting to sound better with every practice session. It looks like the bat is too hard pressed to begin with. This is what I don't like about the Indian bat makers these days. I am waiting to get the CA Plus Extra Power in my hands. Will post again when I have it.

Well, that's all from me.
-CIL

Wow! I'm surprised, I mean Knightrider swears on SS bats ping and say they are THE best!

Bat doesn't look bad though, how many times did you oil though?

I oiled it 3 times and each time left it about 24-48 hours before starting to knock. I got it from India. Someone was visiting from India who got it for me.

I oiled it 3 times and each time left it about 24-48 hours before starting to knock. I got it from India. Someone was visiting from India who got it for me.

how much oil (teaspoons) did u use?

The bat looks like its still carrying a bit of oil on it. Sand it a bit. Too much oiling is bad for willow and makes it dead.

Looks a top bat though! I have had a couple of SS bats and I think they are great!!

how long did u knock it in?

About half a teaspoon each time. Part of it was given to the toe and stood the bat on its handle. The bat soaked it up overnight. After applying oil 2 times and using it in the nets, I actually did sand it down a little to remove ball marks and dirt. The I oiled it one last time, this time used a little less than half a teaspoon, and then put a clear face tape after all the oil was gone. Constant knocking in between all these offcourse.

The ping is not bad, but it was not great right from the beginning. It is opening up with every practice session and match. I am just a little disappointed because I have seen other new SS bats ping way better than mine when they where brand new and without any knocking.

So let me ask this question: When you go to cricket shop and pick up a bat that you like the balance and profile, how do you test the bat for ping and sweet spot?

firstly you might of oiled it too much i only oil twice, when i buy a bat i ask for a mallet to test the pin they always let me, i walk into the stire select 5/6 bats which fell nice in my hands and are within my price range then i test with mallet, that knocks it down to 3/4 then i go back to feel and then weigh.

I had 2 SS TON LE bats 2010 n 2011 version bought frm a good retailer Online Stockist. 2010 bat didnt need oiling or knocking in it performed brilliantly frm ball 1 and 1st shot I played with it went for a six. I oiled the 2011 SS Ton LE bat once and it need abt an hour of knocking in and it also performed well....never had any SS bats that needed 3 hours of knocking in.

Ask politely to test a bat with a mallet next time u purchase a bat. That's what I did which Does give u a some idea of how Good the middle is.

Every bat is different so don't lose hope if it's not pinging, it might take a few weeks or even months to open up but obviously its a pain if ur in the middle of a cricket season.

Last edited:
Ask politely to test a bat with a mallet next time u purchase a bat. That's what I did which Does give u a some idea of how Good the middle is.

Every bat is different so don't lose hope if it's not pinging, it might take a few weeks or even months to open up but obviously its a pain if ur in the middle of a cricket season.

I guess the tough question is, what should a bat sound like when tested with a mallet? It is probably hard to describe but maybe someone can record the sound and upload it somewhere.

I had 2 SS TON LE bats 2010 n 2011 version bought frm a good retailer Online Stockist. 2010 bat didnt need oiling or knocking in it performed brilliantly frm ball 1 and 1st shot I played with it went for a six. I oiled the 2011 SS Ton LE bat once and it need abt an hour of knocking in and it also performed well....never had any SS bats that needed 3 hours of knocking in.

It can be two things: Either you are a really good player that hits from middles from the first ball or I just got a bad bat :)

I am working on the preparation of the bat and it is starting to sound better so hopefully it might turn out ok!

I guess the tough question is, what should a bat sound like when tested with a mallet? It is probably hard to describe but maybe someone can record the sound and upload it somewhere.

Actually I would say test it with a good quality ball and see how well it rebounds.

I never understand the sound system either to be honest.

This is a bit difficult to answer but in general you want to hear a deep thud instead of a sharp cracking type of sound when you hit the bat with a mallet. Try hitting the toe; that's the kind of sound you don't want to hear when you hit the middle. How much the mallet rebounds should also tell you something about the punch of the bat.

Last edited:
It can be two things: Either you are a really good player that hits from middles from the first ball or I just got a bad bat :)

u just got a dud, happens once in a while.

I have seen 4-5 LEs so far and all have been great. One was really heavy but it was a real killer.

Back