Name your favorite and most memorable victory of the India Pakistan arch rivalry

Your favorite and most memorable victory of the India Pakistan arch rivalry? 🤔

• Sharjah Cup Final 1986

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • India's resounding victory of 228 runs in Asia Cup 2023

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
India Pakistan rivalry is the most iconic in the history of sports and entertainment. But which victory is most dearest to your heart. Is it the famous victory of Sharjah in 1986, CT 2017 by 180 runs margin, a 10-wicket victory in WC 2022 or any else.

So mention your most memorable victory against India also Indian fans can name their favorite against Pakistan too below.

My favorite is CT 2017 victory. That came in Ramazan too and at a time when Indians were so adamant on their victory. Very difficult to replicate.

All of the below:

1992 - Sydney
1996 - Bangalore
1999 - Manchester
2003 - Centurion
2007 - Durban
2007 - Johannesburg
2011 - Mohali
2012 - Colombo
2013 - Manchester
2014 - Dhaka
2015 - Adelaide
2016 - Kolkata
2019 - Manchester
2022 - Melbourne
2023 - Ahmedabad

:dw

Virat Kohli's once-in-a-lifetime World Cup knock at the MCG. It was a surreal atmosphere.

He rose to the massive occasion in front of 90,293 fans at the MCG on Sunday night, lifting India to an unforgettable four-wicket win over Pakistan in 2022 T20.

The sight of Sunil Gavaskar, Kris Srikkanth and Irfan Pathan, who walked down from the commentary box to join the madness in the crowd, jumping along the boundary ropes when the winning runs were hit by R Ashwin still remains fresh in the minds of Indian cricket fans.

Shot of an emperor! When Virat Kohli became immortal at MCG leaving Pakistan in shock.

2 favourites

CT17 - I was in Karachi at the time, went to the corner store before India started their chase, the owner had the tv under the shelf and as soon as we heard Sharma getting out we ran back home.

Asia Cup 2014 - The Indian kid with the piano teeth made that win even sweeter. I was full of emotions, didn’t know what to do, I ended up kicking through my wardrobe after Afridi hit the second 6.

2003 WC game and 2011 Mohali World Cup Semifinal . From 2003 I started watching cricket and The way Sachin destroyed Pakistan Gun bowling attacked ( Wasim, Waqar, Akhtar, Razzaq) was Great the watched.

The CT Final victory will forever go down as a beating for the ages that is always going to be hard to top. The gulf of talent between the two teams has rarely been more evident which is why the result was why such a shock,

2003 Centurion, some of the most majestic batting you'll see against Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib. Sachin was peerless that day, quality of strokeplay was out of the world, cricket equivalent of peak Federer.

2011 Mohali, biggest ever sports game in my opinion. Quality of the game was pathetic but everything else about that game was something I haven't seen in any sporting contest. That was the peak of cricket popularity/hype, we'll never see such heights again.

2004 Rawalpindi test, our second innings win in that series which was very unexpected, especially the margin of victory.

2022 MCG, Kohli magic, last 3.5 overs was theatre.

2021 t20 victory was the most memorable one for a pakistan team fan

Most painful loss for most Indian fans will be 1999 Chennai I guess. The collapse of last 4 wickets was crazy, with victory in touching distance.

There were other important losses which hurt but hard to top that test.

For Pakistani fans picking CT 2017, I think Pakistan's first Test series win in India back in 1987 was far more special for them.

Most painful loss for most Indian fans will be 1999 Chennai I guess. The collapse of last 4 wickets was crazy, with victory in touching distance.

There were other important losses which hurt but hard to top that test.
Absolutely. That's the only match in my life as a cricket fan I haven't got over.

For Pakistani fans picking CT 2017, I think Pakistan's first Test series win in India back in 1987 was far more special for them.
Pak was easily better than India in 1987, so expected. In 2017 they were inferior but still won. It is like 90s for us, we were inferior and lost against them more often than not but won the WC matches in 1992, 1996, 1999.

Underdog triumph stories are generally more memorable.

Absolutely. That's the only match in my life as a cricket fan I haven't got over.
Home test losses pinch me more than ICC losses also. The 2012 series loss against England at home hurts even now. Same with 2004 BGT against Aussies, that rained 5th day in Chennai which denied us a win.

Pak was easily better than India in 1987, so expected. In 2017 they were inferior but still won. It is like 90s for us, we were inferior and lost against them more often than not but won the WC matches in 1992, 1996, 1999.

Underdog triumph stories are generally more memorable.
Yes, they were better than us in then 80's. But defeating India in India in a Test series has always been a herculean task. Even in the 90's when I started watching the game, we were absolutely pathetic away from home with only 1 world class player in Sachin who performed everywhere, yet we were extremely formidable at home. Winning a Test series in India has always been a terribly difficult task, whether it be in the 70's, 80's or 90's.

Home test losses pinch me more than ICC losses also. The 2012 series loss against England at home hurts even now. Same with 2004 BGT against Aussies, that rained 5th day in Chennai which denied us a win.
True! The most humiliating thing in cricket is to lose a Test series at home.

World Cup 2007. Will never forget that.

Both teams were undefeated, they had a tie in the first game they played against each other and in the finals no one was going down. India should had won the match earlier, but than Misbah and his sixes.

That loss still hurts me. I cant even watch that match.

That tournament is what made me love cricket

Bro you just can't compare the emotions of PCT fans on both occasions. Hugh gulf it's just like uniting heavens and Earth.

CT Final 2017. This deserves an Allez Les Blues type anthem tribute song.

Mais comment il s'appelle? AHMED
Sarfaraz , Sarfaraz AHMED

@PakEngFan im sure you really enjoyed the 2021 10 wicket win as your first experience of beating India in international cricket?

Bro you just can't compare the emotions of PCT fans on both occasions. Hugh gulf it's just like uniting heavens and Earth.
I certainly hold our Test series victory in Pakistan in 2004 in much higher regards than our Benson & Hedges World Championship of Cricket Tournament victory in 1985 which we won by defeating Pakistan in the final.

I am actually surprised not many Pak fans are mentioning Aane Do series and neither that option is on the poll. It should be a memorable tour for you guys since India was expected to win easily, especially after the way Virat Kohli thrashed Pakistan in Asia cup and then in T20 WC game prior to that series. Pak got some new faces like M.Irfan & Junaid Khan and they took full advantage of the cold north Indian conditions. That series also helped India actually as it removed the deadwoods like Sehwag & Gambhir and kickstarted the top 3 of Dhawan-Rohit-Kohli which went onto serve Indian cricket for next 7-8 years or so starting with CT win within 6 months.

Champions trophy was amazing but we were in a great position throughout the game.

The most recent one that really got the juices flowing was Afridi hitting two sixes off Ashwin to win the game.

We were down and out and Kohli let the tailender take a single to unleash the beast at the strikers end.

The second six hung high in the air for an eternity before crossing the boundary. It was legit powered by duas to get over the line

2 favourites

CT17 - I was in Karachi at the time, went to the corner store before India started their chase, the owner had the tv under the shelf and as soon as we heard Sharma getting out we ran back home.

Asia Cup 2014 - The Indian kid with the piano teeth made that win even sweeter. I was full of emotions, didn’t know what to do, I ended up kicking through my wardrobe after Afridi hit the second 6.
That kids face randomly pops into my head at times.

OP has asked most memorable and not necessarily most infamous...so I will throw another one. I have fond memory of 2009 T20 WC warm up game in Oval. I was present there and that match had more crowd than any games in the main tournament. We all knew about Rohit Sharma's class but the innings he played that night will always live in my memories. Its a shame Ind and Pak never get to face in the main tournament.

One of my memorable moments I'd say is the Independence Cup played in Bangladesh in January 1998. It was between India, Bangladesh and Pakistan. It was a best of 3 finals. India won the first final, Pakistan won the second. In the third final, Pakistan scored 314 batting first. India was given 48 overs to chase the total. In those days chasing such a total was very, very, very rare. Surprisingly we chased it. The last time we did something completely unexpected was when we won the final of the 1996 Titan Cup against South Africa, when we restricted them from chasing a total of 220 odd.

Yes, those were the days when a team could win setting a target of 220 runs, and chasing 300 was extremely rare.​

One of my memorable moments I'd say is the Independence Cup played in Bangladesh in January 1998. It was between India, Bangladesh and Pakistan. It was a best of 3 finals. India won the first final, Pakistan won the second. In the third final, Pakistan scored 314 batting first. India was given 48 overs to chase the total. In those days chasing such a total was very, very, very rare. Surprisingly we chased it. The last time we did something completely unexpected was when we won the final of the 1996 Titan Cup against South Africa, when we restricted them from chasing a total of 220 odd.

Yes, those were the days when a team could win setting a target of 220 runs, and chasing 300 was extremely rare.​
We need to 'thank' the ICC for destroying the beautiful ODI format we grew up loving. I wish I could curse, but that is not allowed.

2017 Champions Trophy without a doubt, especially as India thrashed us in the first game.

But most of all, it was the last trophy Pakistan won before my dad passed a year later!

2017 Champions Trophy without a doubt, especially as India thrashed us in the first game.

But most of all, it was the last trophy Pakistan won before my dad passed a year later!
Sorry to hear that! My father passed away in November, 2021.

I thought you were a youngster beauty but you are here remembering old school classics

I thought you were a youngster beauty but you are here remembering old school classics
What made you think so? I've been a fan from the 90's, and I don't even rate a lot of current day players/jokers. I'm pretty sure you are confusing me for some other poster.

For me I would say the 2011 WC because of Misbah’s Mohali special.
The Joginder Sharma ramp

All of India has been thanking him for that choice of shot.

Yet my man has views on how Jason Roy should bat in PSL

The Joginder Sharma ramp

BTW true story, Wc 2011 was the first time I ever watched cricket. And ironically Misbah is the first cricketer I ever hated 😂😂, I'm not joking, I'm dead serious.

I remember raging so hard after the Pakistan vs India game

BTW true story, Wc 2011 was the first time I ever watched cricket. And ironically Misbah is the first cricketer I ever hated 😂😂, I'm not joking, I'm dead serious.

I remember raging so hard after the Pakistan vs India game
I kind of liked him at first but then with time I realised the guy is an absolute borefest. He then turned into a pretty vicious cricket politician too. 2019 was the final nail in the coffin from my pov.

I kind of liked him at first but then with time I realised the guy is an absolute borefest. He then turned into a pretty vicious cricket politician too. 2019 was the final nail in the coffin from my pov.
Tbf, in 2011 I didn't know a damn thing back then, I just hated losing and blamed misbah for it that's all I knew.

I just find it ironic that he's the first person I hated way before the era of the dark days lol.

Tbf, in 2011 I didn't know a damn thing back then, I just hated losing and blamed misbah for it that's all I knew.

I just find it ironic that he's the first person I hated way before the era of the dark days lol.
The whole batting lot were shambolic that game tbf.

-Hafeez with his usual chawwal shot
-Younis Khan bottling it, dropping catches too
-Umar Akmal doing all the hard work, getting himself in and then throwing it away
-Asad Shafique let down
-Afridi, Razzaq gone missing like the keys in your pocket when you really really need them
-Misbah finding his feet but then still finding them in the 50th over of the match

Ind vs Pak 1st odi 2004, Rahul Dravids best odi innings along with that memorable catch by Kaif

2022 Kohli Magic at the MCG
2016 Asia Cup t20 Amir vs Kohli battle
2011 Wc 11 semis

The 2004 series was the most memorable odi series I have ever watched

You don't know a damn thing now.

funny how everyone goes on about how babar and rizwan won us a game vs india and got us the semi final spot yet everyone is voting for CT 2017 final led by Sarfraz ahmed

The Joginder Sharma ramp

He was literally India's 12th man in the 2007 final and also in the 2011 semi-final.

Best victories would be CT 2004 (group match but entertaining) and CT 2017. The Eden Gardens platinum jubilee match was a fun watch too.

If we include Test cricket, the Karachi Test with Kamran's epic fightback and then Asif's magic with the ball was amazing to see unfold.

For losses, 2007 T20 WC final was a good game if we disregard Misbah's brain fart.

Bro, genuine question, when did you start watching cricket?

Cause you said 2003?

Are you sure that's not a typo and you actually meant 2023?
I started watching cricket today but still I won't pick Haider Ali over Babar Azam or Usman Khan in tests over Rizwan. That should give you your answer.

I started watching cricket today but still I won't pick Haider Ali over Babar Azam or Usman Khan in tests over Rizwan. That should give you your answer.
Okay so you started watching cricket yesterday? Good to know

All of the below:

1992 - Sydney
1996 - Bangalore
1999 - Manchester
2003 - Centurion
2007 - Durban
2007 - Johannesburg
2011 - Mohali
2012 - Colombo
2013 - Manchester
2014 - Dhaka
2015 - Adelaide
2016 - Kolkata
2019 - Manchester
2022 - Melbourne
2023 - Ahmedabad

:dw

Have watched every single ball of each one those matches plus 2 in benson and hedges ... absolutely priceless memories. 😇

Nothing comes close to 1996 QF

I think the criticism towards Misbah has gone a bit overboard now. In Mohali, Younis was a bigger flop show, and almost all other batsmen threw their wickets to ordinary deliveries, so many dropped catches, most players from Pak as well as Ind couldn't handle the pressure that day. And I don't blame them, even as a fan it was stressful to watch, biggest and most hyped contest in cricket history and possible in the history of all sports.

Regarding 2007 T20 final, Misbah choked at the end but without him, Pak would have been 100 all out that day, did you see how Malik played in that final. Afridi was the biggest culprit in both those losses, in fact India's dominance over Pak in WCs is largely because of Afridi who never turned up, in fact skipper Afridi played 4 pacers on that rank turner in 2016 WT20 in Eden Gardens.

Misbah played a blinder in the group game in 2007 WT20, that famous bowl out match. Otherwise India would have comfortably won that match also.

Misbah had a big hand in saving the 2007 Bengaluru test, he also rescued Pak in the 2nd test in Eden. India were all over Pak in that test series but Misbah was the main obstacle.

Why would you call him India's 12th man? He was a thorn for our side, and his role in 2011 Mohali loss is blown out of proportion.

I skipper Afridi played 4 pacers on that rank turner in 2016 WT20 in Eden Gardens.
To be fair to afridi,India rolled out pak in Asia cup on a wet bamgladesh pitch for 84.so once it rained on that day,afridi thought of emulating and Dhoni showed why he is a legend in limited formats.

Misbah played a blinder in the group game in 2007 WT20, that famous bowl out match. Otherwise India would have comfortably won that match also.

Misbah had a big hand in saving the 2007 Bengaluru test, he also rescued Pak in the 2nd test in Eden. India were all over Pak in that test series but Misbah was the main obstacle.

Why would you call him India's 12th man? He was a thorn for our side, and his role in 2011 Mohali loss is blown out of proportion.
I agree. Some Pakistani fans like to blame Misbah. But they don't recall the abysmal of a batting display the team sometimes showed. Even post 2010 when Misbah took over as captain. Numerous times the whole team collapsed and it was Misbah who held on one end.

I don't know how could anyone like him after his scoop shot in 2007 vs India the final nail in the coffin would be his 2011 vs India.

The 2017 Champions Trophy final will remain the all time great win for Pakistan over India.

Back