New SG gear reviews

Hammermellet

Debutant
Runs
Just to let you guys know i have received all my new SG gear and am in the process of reviewing all of it.

here is a link to my first reviews for some of the gear i really think is worth mentioning. its good quality and also a good price.the gear is the SG maxilite XL pads and the SG maxilite ultimate gloves.

SG Maxilite XL Pads Review and SG Maxilite UIltimate Gloves said:
Maxilite-XL-1__41112_zoom.jpg

As you can see these SG maxilite XL pads are basically a copt of the Moulded foam ultralite Marrant batting pads. Unfortunately even though those pads are the lightest on the market, they are very expensive and the average cricketer cannot afford them. These SG versions of those same pads are a very good alternative to the Morrants. i used to use the Puma iridium 6000 pads as i thought they were the lightest i could get at $160 USD. Once these came into my store and now selling them at $75 it was a no brainer to chuck out the Puma pads and stick a set of these into my kit bag.

My old puma pads ($160 USD ) weighed in at a hefty 1lbs12oz ea. and these feather lights are a very light 1lbs7oz meaning you save 6 oz on each pad. that might not seem like much but after you run up and down the pitch for an hour you will be crying for the lighter pads, trust me. Especially with the speed we play 20/20 games these days, you definitely want the lightest pads you can get your hands on.

So when you by these pads what do you get. well you get EPE Moulded with Polyurethane facing. These pads boast a Compact and wrap around fit. For extra protection you get High-density sponge filled vertical bolster with a thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) insert. You also get a Mesh instep with hardwearing piping. Added protection on top hat. These pads are also great for clubs as they Can be used by both left-handed and right-handed batsmen.

Maxilite-Ultimate__44662_zoom.jpg

The first thing that comes to mind when putting these gloves on my hands was comfort. The Block finger design which gives you maximum flexibility in the hands is superb. The leather on the palms is soft but not to soft that you feel you might tear it or something like that. The gloves offer top of the line protection at a fraction of the cost of top level gloves which is what we have grown accustomed to with SG cricket gear. A good quality product at an affordable price.

As you can see from the pic above these gloves have a few high level features such as the Nylon Gusset for better ventilation. The Extra finger protection reinforced with a thermoplastic polyurethane insert in the first two fingers to protect a bats mans bowling fingers. Lightweight high-density foam finger rolls and split thumb. Three-piece sidebars on lead hand. Leather tabs on fingertips. Extra PITTARDS® leather patch on hard-wearing areas of the palm and of course the toweled wristband with embossed Velcro® fastener.

For the low price of just $50 these are a quality set of batting gloves that are also affordable for the weekend cricketer. I would highly recommend these gloves to anyone who wants the best protection but is also on a budget.

I would certainly put my stamp of approval on both of these items reviewed here today.

thanks for letting me share this information in the forum and i look forward to your thoughts and input. i will also be reviewing 17 of the new 2012 bats, including the super expensive Sunny legend, the V319 and also the stud T20 i bats, among others.

enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
sure thing CD, right off the bat i can tell you the gloves are very similar to the maxilites. same price and same features except for the sausage fingers. $50

the pads are nice as well. not as light as the maxilites, but look good. not so sure about the mesh instep where the pad will rub on the shoe. that might wear down over time. similar padding level as the maxilites. good wrap around the leg.

also just weighed the SG maxilite ultimate left hand glove. 4.4 oz. the Newbery uzi LH glove is 6.6 oz. both these gloves are very similar but the difference would probably be the SG finger block padding is covered with a lighter synthetic material whereas the Newbery is covered in leather.

sure thing CD, right off the bat i can tell you the gloves are very similar to the maxilites. same price and same features except for the sausage fingers. $50

the pads are nice as well. not as light as the maxilites, but look good. not so sure about the mesh instep where the pad will rub on the shoe. that might wear down over time. similar padding level as the maxilites. good wrap around the leg.

Thanks mate, I look forward seeing SG Test review :).

Gloves look v.nice

Looking forward to the sunny legend

Is it me but these gloves remind me a bit of CCX gloves? I know they are not the same etc but something looks and reminds me of CCX gloves.

Both are indeed made at same place too!

Thanks mate, I look forward seeing SG Test review :).

Is it me but these gloves remind me a bit of CCX gloves? I know they are not the same etc but something looks and reminds me of CCX gloves.

Both are indeed made at same place too!

You are correct CD; only these ones are cheaper. SG softs are really good.

@d7bow: Watch out for King Cobra, cheaper but really nice.

I have Kookaburra Kahuna Players which are made by SG apparently and they are brilliant and I find SG's workmanship to be better than SS for some reason, not sure if I'm correct but thats what I have noticed, SG look a lot better finished etc.

On average, SG has the best finishing of all bats made in India. There might be some discrepancies here and there. But I am not saying however that SG has the best finishing in the world though :)

On average, SG has the best finishing of all bats made in India. There might be some discrepancies here and there. But I am not saying however that SG has the best finishing in the world though :)

I haven't seen top of the line SG so I really can't comment on that but on softs as I said SG's finishing looks good (talking about Kookaburra).

These companies tend to finish the Puma, Adidas, Kooks products better than their own though.

Yes most Puma softs are made by Sondhi; I said 'these companies', not SG per se :D

How about the SG VS 319 Ultimate gloves and pads?

Is there any major difference between the Test gloves and VS 319 gloves?

Last edited:
bought it from onlinestockist bought 2 bats these gloves and SS matix pads. All top notch.
On his website the gloves are going at 23. I guess i paid the same or little less as i bought a lot of stuff from him.

Have you used any other brand gloves? If so how are SG Test compared to them?

Have you used any other brand gloves? If so how are SG Test compared to them?

I have tried kookaburra Blade 2010 model, which was also good but not as good the SG test ones. I bought kooks for like 28. I have also tried some CA and BAS gloves from team mates and they are absolutely no comparison to SG test.

I have tried kookaburra Blade 2010 model, which was also good but not as good the SG test ones. I bought kooks for like 28. I have also tried some CA and BAS gloves from team mates and they are absolutely no comparison to SG test.

Wow!

I really like SG Test softs, maybe I will buy them one day :)

Ah okay, his website shows 2010 range, does it mean I will get 2010 or 2011?

Also are SG Test softs being changed for 2012?

No idea mate... I guess you have to ask him :). I ordered them last year, which were on the website....basically ordered cause Raina was wearing them and I liked the look of the gloves and heard only good things about SG and they turned out to be outstanding.

If you are looking for good SG gear directly from India try this one:

cricbuy.com

Much more reliable than OS. Akash Chopra is the owner.

True, will ask him :)

I had a conversation with Ajit's brother today and he said they will be updating the website very soon and will add few more brands like KG and new SS bats torpedo and few others. Ajit has had the new SG gear since 5 months ago but website wasnt updated. He will do this in next few days.

And here is my review of the SG test batting pads and gloves. both really good products.

http://cricketgearreviews.com/httpw...-test-cricket-batting-pads-test-batting-pads/

SG Test Pads Review and SG Test Gloves said:
Test-1__81664_zoom.jpg
Test__11917_zoom.jpg

DSC04300__97996_zoom.JPG
DSC04301__48227_zoom.JPG
DSC04302__25315_zoom.JPG

One thing i really like about the SG gear for this year is that it all comes in a very good quality package of some sorts. every bat, every set of gloves, pads etc all has these very cool SG bags, and it will help you look after your gear for seasons to come. That says something about the company and their attitude towards their gear.

These Test pads, are good, weighing in at 1.14 lbs ea they are still quite light and have comfort as an added bonus as well. Good padding and also a very good quality level.

The SG test batting pads are Made from premium quality imported Polyurethane facing. They have Cotton filled knee rolls with a layer of high density foam reinforcement to help bolster the knee protection. Middle 2″ strap has a Butterfly strap for comfort and the perfect wrap around fit. The front shin protection area is Low density foam filled/ cane reinforced construction. The side calf wings are High density foam. The instep is Mesh with hard-wearing piping, and above the knee you have Added protection on top hat.

And at $65 this is genuinely great quality set of pads that isn’t overpriced like some big UK Boutique brands. You can feel comfortable buying these pads as it would be a wise investment on your part. i dont really see the reason to spend over $100 on a set of pads, or gloves to be honest. Not with products like this coming out of SG.

Test__27667_zoom.jpg

These new 2012 SG test batting gloves are also a great buy, whilst im not a fan of the sausage finger design i do understand it gives you a better level of protection than the block split finger of the SG maxilite ultimate gloves.

Maxilite-Ultimate__44662_zoom.jpg

But what you gain in protection you lose in comfort and flexibility. Whilst im not saying these gloves are uncomfortable, but on my hands in particular i just feel a bit cramped in them and a bit stiff on my fingers. As i said in my maxilite review, the same goes with these gloves. The leather on the palms is soft but not to soft that you feel you might tear it or something like that. The gloves offer top of the line protection at a fraction of the cost of top level gloves which is what we have grown accustomed to with SG cricket gear. A good quality product at an affordable price.

As far as features of this glove is concerned the finger rolls are Top grade imported Polyurethane. It also has the Nylon gusset for ventilation. It has a Sponge-padded polyurethane back for better fit and comfort. The sg test batting gloves also have Extra finger protection reinforced with a thermoplastic polyurethane insert in the first two fingers of the lead hand. The finger rolls are Cotton filled. it also has Extra PITTARDS® leather patch on hard-wearing areas of the palm so they may last longer. And of course Toweled wristband with embossed Velcro® fastener

Thanks for reading, i hope this review has answered all your questions you might of had. if not please comment on this thread. i would also appreciate it if you could please share this review with your friends on facebook and twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Dravid is wearing the test pads currently, you can tell by the straps that he isn't wearing the RSD pads.

The straps on VS pads are different? Are these test pads with different straps to make it look like he's wearing the VS 319 pads?

The straps on VS pads are different? Are these test pads with different straps to make it look like he's wearing the VS 319 pads?

Seems like straps as you mentioned have been changed so it looks like he is using VS 319.

VS pads RSD pads and Test pads all three look exact same with different colour interior and different material (for example, the face on Test pads has all canes while RSD there are three canes and then foam etc).

SG T20 cricket bats review.

SG T11i 20/20 cricket bat.

Specifications

Origin: India
Wood: Highest quality english willow. (SG don’t disclose what grade of willow they use)
Sizes Available: SH and Long handle
Weight Guide: 2lb 8oz-3lb+
Sample Weight: 2lb 15 oz
Handle: round
Edge (at widest): 41mm
Finish: Poly coat
Toe Protection: Yes ( kookaburra tow guard )

My opinion

Good solid bat, big edges at 41mm but my sample bat used is a heavy 2.15 so you would expect big edges. Willow is good but im not sure if the willow spec is correct as it says highest quality english willow and im pretty sure they haven’t used players grade willow on this bat. probably more like a good looking piece of G3 or G2 english willow. There is nothing to fancy about this bat but will applaud SG for thinking out the box a little on this bat. It has a flat face ( which helps get the edges as big as possible ) and the have also only enlarged the edges new the sweetspot, helping to keep the weight down as much as possible. ( kinda like the Slazenger bats from a few years ago. )

We Like

- The finish and the ping, its a really good bat.
- The fact that they actually took a second and thought about the design of this bat

We Dislike

- The flat face, the round handle and the kookaburra toe guard on an SG bat.

Star Rating

Price: 8/10 weight : 2.15
Willow: 7/10 edge size : 41mm
Finish: 8/10
Performance: 8/10
Wow: 2/5

total score : 33/45

SG T20i 20/20 cricket bat.

Specifications

Origin: India
Wood: Top of the line english willow ( thats different from finest quality available )
Sizes Available: SH and Long blade
Weight Guide: 2lb 8oz-3lb+
Sample Weight: 2lb 13 oz
Handle: round
Edge (at widest): 40mm
Finish: Natural finish
Toe Protection: Yes

My opinion

Overall this is a really good quality bat but as far as performance goes it performs the same as the T11i so if you are on a budget then buy the T11 and get a bat which performs the same as this one. problem really, is the price. If SG are going to charge $400+ for a 20/20 bat, they might as well tell you what grade the willow is.

We Like

- The finish
- The quality of the willow.

We Dislike

- The price and the round handle

Star Rating

Price: 3/10 weight : 2.13
Willow: 7/10 edge size : 40mm
Finish: 8/10
Performance: 8/10
Wow: 2/5

total score : 28/45

So overall both bats are good. they both play well and each have their own unique profile and design. i would go for the T11i as its performance / balance and pickup is the same as the T20i, but its $200 cheaper.

Good reviews..:14:

But now I have a question for you guys:

*Which manufacturer (CA or SG) produces the better quality softs'? :26:

When it comes to softs SG is way ahead of the majority of companies; specially when it comes to value. Remember, at the end of the day it is SG and to an extent SS and Sondhi who do the softs for nearly all manufacturers apart from the Pakistani and other Indian ones; so all the Pumas, Adidas, Nike etc. that you see are made by them.

Hammer,

You rate Maxilite pads the best, why is that? Despite SG TEst Pads are the most used pads what make you think Maxilite are the best?

Secondly, what difference did you find between RSD Supalite gloves and Test gloves?

Thanks!

Differences can be found here(but I think Test Pads are used more because they are cheaper):

http://www.sgcricket.com/battinglegguards.html

I have never seen any International Player using Maxilite Pads...

ACtually the reason why Test pads are widely used is because they offer best protection in SG ranges.

Even Dravid and Sehwag use test pads as opposed to RSD and VS319 respectively.

ACtually the reason why Test pads are widely used is because they offer best protection in SG ranges.

But I have seen V.Sehwag use his own range....
He sometimes also uses Morrant..

Attachments

• 139929.jpg
    139929.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,031
Hammer,

You rate Maxilite pads the best, why is that? Despite SG TEst Pads are the most used pads what make you think Maxilite are the best?

Secondly, what difference did you find between RSD Supalite gloves and Test gloves?

Thanks!

Hey CD, im not saying everyone will agree with me. This is after all just my opinion. Ive got these pads sitting in front of me and weight was very important to me. summers are very hot here in texas and i have tendency to bat for long periods of time. i found for my needs the lightest pads were the best fit. The test pads are probably more comfortable than the maxilites but thought the 8oz heavier per pad was a deal breaker for me. also the test pads offer better padding than the maxilites as they have the wind and the maxilites don't. comes back to the way we play here in texas, if you get hit on the pads you are generally given out LBW, whether its out or not. so don't get hit on the pads, use your bat. The prolites were also light but padding was insufficient so it was the maxilites i liked best.

the test gloves have better protection than the rsd. but im not a fan of the sausage finger gloves and prefer splits in the fingers but once again thats just personal. if i had to go for sausage fingers it would be the hilites as it has splits in the sausage finger design. all 3 are good gloves and worth the money.

morrant pads are still lighter than the maxilites but offer the same amount of protection, maybe even less as it doesnt have a 2nd layer of protection on the top hat.

problem with the morrants is the price.

my thought is pro players would choose the test pads over the maxilites because of padding and comfort.

The reason test pads are used more can be because they have been in the market for more time and players are used to that. Maxilite i think is a newer product and will take time and may be new players will start using it.

The reason test pads are used more can be because they have been in the market for more time and players are used to that. Maxilite i think is a newer product and will take time and may be new players will start using it.

I don't know about lifespan of SG products in the market but thanks for sharing that information mate, I appreciate it!

SG Test Pads and this SS pads look very similar...I don't spot any difference except the manufacture's logo..

Attachments

• 141825.jpg
    141825.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 1,069
  • SG%20Test%20Batting%20Pads-500x500.jpg
    SG%20Test%20Batting%20Pads-500x500.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 875
Last edited:
They're spiked up Nike Air Max Courtballistec 2.3 tennis shoes, the model Rafael Nadal wore back in 2010.

Nike-Air-Max-Courtballistec-2.3-Mens-Tennis-Shoe.jpg

If I ever get a chance then I would buy these and spike'em up.

Attachments

• 1239164446.jpg
    1239164446.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 844
  • Most-Expensive-Basketball-Shoes.jpg
    Most-Expensive-Basketball-Shoes.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,178
Virat is quite eclectic with his equipment; ton bat with nike sticker, bas gloves, ss pads, nike shoes and CD told me he uses GN abdomen guard!! :))

come on come on guys, stop hijacking my perfectly good SG thread. :)

SG RSD elite cricket bat review

http://cricketgearreviews.com/sg-rsd-elite-cricket-bat/

in this review i compare this $179 SG with a $399 GM original and am interested in your opinions of this comparison.

again very impressed with this price and quality. i've used sg in the past and rate them quite highly. at this price point this is a great buy - even im tempted.

Nice use of the Black Keys in the vid.

What's the handle like on the RSD, is it relatively the same shape all the way down?

Virat is quite eclectic with his equipment; ton bat with nike sticker, bas gloves, ss pads, nike shoes and CD told me he uses GN abdomen guard!! :))

goes well with his bi-polar disorder.........

Why can't they make oval handles!:po:

Is the SG handle made of Cork or Rubber
(For the Shock Absorption) ?

Back