New Zealand 179/5 (15.2) defeat West Indies 180/7 (16) by 5 wickets to win 1st T20I

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
West Indies will hope to put up a good show in New Zealand in the T20I series that begins on Friday.

Overview
New Zealand vs West Indies, 1st T20I
Eden Park, Auckland
Friday, 27 November, 07:00pm local time, 06:00am GMT

West Indies are the defending champions in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, having won the 2016 edition. However, a lot has changed since then and Windies are now languishing at No.9 in the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s T20I team rankings.

West Indies have an interesting record in New Zealand. They have won just one T20I – claiming a tied match in 2008 in the Super Over - while losing six of the eight games in the country.

West Indies players come off the back of a full-fledged Caribbean Premier League season. Some of their players were also in the Indian Premier League shortly after that. New Zealand players have also been busy with the IPL and the Plunket Shield at home. The short boundaries at Eden Park should keep the big hitters from either side interested. Since the start of 2018, New Zealand and West Indies have hit 246 and 233 sixes respectively in the format.

All eyes will be on Super Smash hero, Devon Conway, who is set to make a debut for New Zealand. The South Africa-born batsman has been plundering runs in the domestic circuit and, if given the chance, will look to carry that form into the international circuit.

West Indies, meanwhile, have some familiar names in the mix. Nicholas Pooran and Kieron Pollard come off the back of great performances in the IPL and will hope to replicate that in New Zealand.

Remember the last time

The last time these two sides met in a T20I game was in 2018 in Mount Maunganui. Colin Munro scored a century to power New Zealand to their highest T20I total of 243. They went on to win by 119 runs, their largest victory margin in the format. The last time New Zealand lost a T20I to West Indies is back in 2014. That said, the sides have only met four times since then in this format with one game in 2018 ending in no result after rain intervened halfway through the first innings.

Although in a different format, neither team will forget their last meeting, which was a thriller in the 2019 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup in Manchester. A staggering century from Carlos Brathwaite went in vain as Windies fell short by five runs in that match.

Carlos Brathwaite's spectacular century went in vain in the ICC Men's Cricket 2019 Cricket World Cup game against New Zealand, the last time these teams metCarlos Brathwaite's spectacular century went in vain in the ICC Men's Cricket 2019 Cricket World Cup game against New Zealand, the last time these teams met

What they said

Tim Seifert, New Zealand 'keeper-batsman: I could easily go into the Black Caps environment and give my two cents on how we should bowl to Polly [Kieron Pollard, Trinbago Knight Riders teammate] - rightly or wrongly. I think it gives you a great insight of these guys and how they actually do things because they do open up to you because you're in the same team and they want franchise teams to go well.

Andre Fletcher, West Indies batsman: "We'll continue being positive and playing our brand of cricket. It's sometimes tough - winning two T20 World Cups and ranking No.9 in the world is kind of off-balance, but I believe we'll get back up there in the rankings."

They don’t even have a Broadcaster in the UK and this is supposed to be a privilege

New Zealand won the toss and opt to bowl

New Zealand

Martin Guptill, Tim Seifert (wk), Devon Conway, Glenn Phillips, Ross Taylor, James Neesham, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee (c), Kyle Jamieson, Lockie Ferguson, Hamish BennettB

West Indies

Brandon King, Andre Fletcher, Shimron Hetmyer, Nicholas Pooran (wk), Rovman Powell, Kieron Pollard (c), Fabian Allen, Keemo Paul, Sheldon Cottrell, Kesrick Williams, Oshane Thomas

WI 58/3 (4.4) CRR: 12.43

Some.exciting stuff going on there. WI were 58 in 3 overs and lost 3 quick wickets hold on as I type 4th gone as well

Auckland has been going through a drought and its rained like 3 times during this game already.

WI 96/5 (10) CRR: 9.6
Rain stops play

How to watch this game in the US? No broadcaster? Willow doesn’t have it.

New broadcast deals are all over the place with NZC. I think half of NZ barely knows how to watch it here.

Excellent knock by Pollard. Things could of easily gone off the rails after that collapse.

Some truly awful bowling with one brilliant spell mixed in.

Bennett and Neesham in particular should not be bowling in international cricket.

Can honestly say i havent seen that. Glen Phillips hits a six and dislocates his knee cap. The physio comes out and pops it back in then he hits another six like nothing happened.

WI 180/7 (16)
NZ 63/4 (6.3) CRR: 9.69 REQ: 11.89
New Zealand need 113 runs in 57 balls - (Match reduced to 16 overs per side due to rain), target 176

Even though I hate small boundaries

This game has been pretty good so far

Really enjoying oshane Thomas bowling so far

Williams bad over might have just sealed the game for New Zealand and the amount of new balls in this game horrible lol

I dont think i have ever seen so many waist high and front foot no balls in a match. Its like a few of these guys in both teams have forgotten how to bowl

WI 180/7 (16)NZ 179/5 (15.2)

New Zealand won by 5 wkts - (Match reduced to 16 overs per side due to rain), target 176

Watched the game at the crowd, Lockie was lethal.

Windies couldn't handle his pace.

I watched parts of the game but after that Williams over New Zealand was well in control of the game

Ferguson was very solid for NZ
Where as Thomas did well for WI

It appears that express pace had the upper hand in this match

All in all a very good win by NZ

Some of the hits from pollard must have been at least 90m clean striking even thou it's small boundaries

Back