New Zealand (283/1) hammer England (282/9) by 9 wickets to win Match 1 of the ICC World Cup 2023

Which side will win the ICC World Cup 2023 game between England and New Zealand?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
could see a lot more of rachin yet, what a knock from the young kid
england may want to try gus in place of woakes, even if you do lose some batting ability that way

@ExpressPacer I'm not gonna say I told you so, but I told you so 😶‍🌫️.

Mate, Rachin Ravindra played a blinder. If you look at his around 50 something internationals he has played before, he has never done anything similar. Granted he has batted down the order a lot but there is nothing remotely similar. This innings was a blinder and I hope it wasn’t a one off … but only time will tell.

The only thing worse than England's performance today is the DJ in the ground shouting 'Clap clap'

Mate, Rachin Ravindra played a blinder. If you look at his around 50 something internationals he has played before, he has never done anything similar. Granted he has batted down the order a lot but there is nothing remotely similar. This innings was a blinder and I hope it wasn’t a one off … but only time will tell.

XD, no issue. I still think NZ is the 2nd or 3rd Strongest team of the tournament, My own opinions. Also fair point about ravindra but he did play well against Pakistan.

Regardless NZ did really well and I think they suprised everyone including me. I expected thek to win but not outright smash. NZ outdid themselves today.

I don't think any other team India or Australia would have batted like this. Conway has been playing league cricket all over. He is battle hardened. Rachin is so confident on the back of his warm up game. They just expressed themselves. They both clicked. One wicket i doubt following batsmen would have played like that. Mitchell has a mixed experience in India. Struggled against spin.

I expect the team batting second to win this match. Let us see how it goes.
Matches in Ahmedabad, Delhi, Hyderabad, and Lucknow will be in a similar pattern. In Chennai or Mumbai, dew may or may not be a deciding factor on a given day.

Man, didn't get to watch the match but saw the highlights. NZ creamed Eng and their NRR will suffer now

XD, no issue. I still think NZ is the 2nd or 3rd Strongest team of the tournament, My own opinions. Also fair point about ravindra but he did play well against Pakistan.

Regardless NZ did really well and I think they suprised everyone including me. I expected thek to win but not outright smash. NZ outdid themselves today.
Yeah. I live in New Zealand so I naturally want New Zealand to do well. It's just that I don't expect them to do very well considering all the passengers in the team. The only players I back to consistently do well are Conway, Henry and Boult. Everyone else is a literal passenger but I guess they're a really good tournament side and have found their mojo once again.

Wish I'd seen this match live but being down under means game starts at 9:30 PM.

This was an hammering all right. Was it an upset. Probably yes. England with its galaxy of hitters were expected to score at least 325.
However will NZ be chasing 300 scores so easily i am not sure they can do it regularly.....it was Ravindra and Conway's day ..absolutely.
Yes it was and so no doubt so they made it look easy.
Who is playing England and NZ next?

could see a lot more of rachin yet, what a knock from the young kid
england may want to try gus in place of woakes, even if you do lose some batting ability that way
Rachin is the heir to Kane and it's been known in NZ cricketing circles for a while. He wouldn't have been brought into the international fold if he wasn't good. It was laughable some were calling him useless when at a young age he was playing in the lower order as a top order batsmen and has still shown his class time to time. It was only a matter of time with a talent like his that he clicked and showed why the selectors have shown faith in him.

Yeah. I live in New Zealand so I naturally want New Zealand to do well. It's just that I don't expect them to do very well considering all the passengers in the team. The only players I back to consistently do well are Conway, Henry and Boult. Everyone else is a literal passenger but I guess they're a really good tournament side and have found their mojo once again.

Wish I'd seen this match live but being down under means game starts at 9:30 PM.
Lol what? Rachin, Phillips, Mitchell Chapman and Santner are all capable. Bracewell is a massive loss but then again not a massive drop off between Rachin and Chapman in terms of value.

It's tough now with Rachin in form and scoring runs.

Young out for Kane and Rachin opens I think.

Lol what? Rachin, Phillips, Mitchell Chapman and Santner are all capable. Bracewell is a massive loss but then again not a massive drop off between Rachin and Chapman in terms of value.
Capable? Sure. But half the Afghan side is capable too. Rachin Ravindra has done jack in every single international he has ever played until yesterday. I'm glad he stepped up when it mattered most but that doesn't take away from his past lack of performance. Chapman and Santner are alright but not world class. Chapman is a classic bottler.

Philips is good, I agree. I hope he has a big tournament.

Capable? Sure. But half the Afghan side is capable too. Rachin Ravindra has done jack in every single international he has ever played until yesterday. I'm glad he stepped up when it mattered most but that doesn't take away from his past lack of performance. Chapman and Santner are alright but not world class. Chapman is a classic bottler.

Santner not world class? :)):)))

Chapman is has been in great form the last year in limited overs cricket and is more than handy down the order to finish chases or set up totals. We're not expecting him to score 100s, his job is to score quick runs.

I'm not sure you watch NZ's matches.

If I'm not wrong then Rachin was reason behind NZ draw a test in india .

Wood seems to have lost his stamina for the rest of the year, he looks cooked. Same with woakes, the ashes seems to have taken a huge toll on him.
Topley and Atkinson should replace them both. As for the batting, the reckless bazballing needs to stop, there is a huge reliance on root and stokes to build the innings.

Santner not world class? :)):)))

Chapman is has been in great form the last year in limited overs cricket and is more than handy down the order to finish chases or set up totals. We're not expecting him to score 100s, his job is to score quick runs.

I'm not sure you watch NZ's matches.
I probably don't watch all matches, you're right. But I have seen enough.

Hop
Who is playing England next? :) I might feel sorry for them. THey may come out all guns blazing.
Hopefully it's vs india and they blast them. No honestly England is overrated and they will bomb out before semis. I predicted that before. Their last wc was a major fluke too.

Nasser Hussain says no "dew excuse"

There was no hiding place for England, they were just second best, and they can’t blame conditions because most of this battering took place before any of the dew that both sides feared when they wanted to bowl first came down.

Credit has to go to New Zealand. They were not only missing their captain Kane Williamson and Tim Southee with that broken thumb he suffered in England but they also lost Lockie Ferguson in the build up to the game with a stiff back.
That left Tom Latham with only three frontline bowlers at his disposal and he used them brilliantly. His captaincy and the way he employed Trent Boult, Matt Henry and Mitchell Santner as well as his part-timers was exceptional.

This was the first time in the history of one-day cricket that all 11 batters reached double figures in an innings but the trouble for England was that everybody got in and then everyone got out all too soon afterwards.

What it meant was, on a 320 plus pitch, England fell way short which meant they had to be absolutely perfect with the ball to have any chance. And they were far from that.

Chris Woakes set the tone – and not in the right manner. He looked very short of rhythm, bowled both sides of the wicket and was too full. Then Mark Wood’s extra pace just came onto the bat beautifully for New Zealand. Only Sam Curran, at least with the new ball, can be said to have had anything like a good evening.

F7umFUNX0AErSV2

Eoin Morgan: Beaten England need ‘honest conversations’ - but I still think they will lift the trophy

I don’t think anyone could have foreseen the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 opener playing out quite like that.

New Zealand had an incredible day and for England, it was a crushing defeat. Even if they had scored 30 more runs to get up to a par score, I don’t think they bowled well enough to defend it, which makes it harder to take. Enough England batters got starts but it never felt like they struck many blows throughout the innings. In many ways, New Zealand didn’t get them out, they got themselves out. But credit has to go to Devon Conway and Rachin Ravindra played. Conway put England under pressure from the very first ball and for Ravindra to play like that on his World Cup debut was exceptional. He was pure class.

From an English perspective, we have come to have a level of expectation in Jos Buttler’s team that regardless of the surface, he wants them to take an aggressive approach. We didn’t see that in a strong enough way and what this defeat does, in dramatic fashion, is emphasise the way to play throughout this World Cup. Their strongest suit going forward is to be more aggressive and I think that will be Jos’ message – ‘we need to go harder’.

One thing is for sure – one defeat will not derail their campaign. Eight of this squad were there in 2019, when we lost three group stage matches on the way to lifting the trophy, and they will definitely lean on that experience. There is no side that goes from start to finish at a World Cup without experiencing some sort of adversity, whether it’s losing games or having hiccups within games themselves. This will be no different.

There will be a lot of calm heads in the dressing room, but there will also be a lot of honesty. Having shared a changing room with these guys, all the messages are built on a lot of thought and very rarely are there any flippant comments or people targeted. There is an awareness they are all in this together and collectively all trying to achieve the same plan by sticking to the same process.

I tipped England to win the competition in the build-up and I still have complete faith. Nothing about today’s performance worries me when it comes to believing they can win the trophy. The advantage of having this format is that one bad day doesn’t ruin your tournament, when previously one bad day could have you home within a week. I still think they can and will win this World Cup.

Ben Stokes’ return will be key if they are to do that. The difference he makes is invaluable and there is no measure on the impact he has in a changing room. He believes he can achieve anything from any sort of circumstances and has backed that up in match-winning performances. He breeds confidence and belief.

After a defeat like that, he will no doubt be speaking in that changing room. His words hold a lot of weight because they are backed up by performance. He will have had a great view of the whole game and hopefully he’ll be back on the field as soon as possible.

Any other changes for England’s next match, against Bangladesh in Dharamsala, will likely be dependent on conditions. It’s traditionally a bit more seam-friendly, so there may be an opportunity for Reece Topley or David Willey, while if Stokes is fit he will obviously come straight back in.

On a personal level, it is brilliant to be out here and the level of excitement is immense. It’s way more enjoyable being able to sit back and enjoy a World Cup as a fan. The focused nature and hard work you put in to deliver performances and wins as a player, I’m definitely enjoying it more now. I was far more excited turning up to today’s game than I ever allowed myself to be as a player.

I didn’t engage in many emotions throughout the course of my career, simply because it didn’t allow me to be the player that I was – it became a hindrance to my performance, being emotional when making decisions just didn’t work for me. Now, it is a pleasure and a privilege to sit back and watch these great players represent England in white-ball cricket.

New Zealand have had quite an incredible day, I don’t think anyone could have foreseen them outplaying this England team in such a fashion. Even if England had scored 30 more to get up to in and around a par score, I don’t think they bowled well enough to defend it. It makes it harder to take. New Zealand controlled the game really well. Enough England batters got starts but it never felt like they struck many blows throughout the innings. We’ve come to have a level of expectation in Jos Buttler’s team that regardless of the surface, he wants them to take an aggressive approach. We didn’t see that in a strong enough way. In many ways, New Zealand didn’t get them out, they got themselves out. The level of expectation on the bowlers then had to rise but right from the first ball of the chase, Devon Conway put England under pressure and it didn’t stop from thereon in. The ball skidded on a bit more than in the England innings but the dominance with which Conway and Ravindra played was exceptional. For a player making his World Cup debut, you don’t expect that kind of enforcing innings. He was pure class and England could not find a way of taking wickets, which makes it a crushing defeat.

When you play in a side like England are at the moment, you’re always trying to set the tone and strike the first blow. But regardless of how much you talk about it, it’s very difficult to avoid the way people will come into playing against England. They are a very talented side and one defeat will not derail their campaign. But what it does is emphasise in dramatic fashion the way to play throughout this World Cup. Their strongest suit going forward is to be more aggressive.

In the recent series in England, when they beat New Zealand 3-1, after the first defeat Jos Buttler said he wanted the team to be more aggressive. The message was ‘we need to go harder as a team’. You’re not trying to creep up to a par score, you want to get beyond that and win the game with the bat so you don’t have to rely on your bowling the whole time. The balance for this game was the extra batter, so you’d say it was England’s strongest batting line-up – barring Ben Stokes.

They will definitely lean on that experience. There is no side that goes from start to finish at a World Cup without experiencing some sort of adversity, whether it’s losing games or having hiccups within games themselves. This will be no different. Eight of the squad were there in 2019 and I’ve no doubt that yes, there will be a lot of calm heads in the dressing room, but there will also be a lot of honesty. Having shared a changing room with these guys, all the messages are built on a lot of thought and very rarely are there any flippant comments or people targeted. It’s very much an awareness they are all in this together and collectively all trying to achieve the same plan by sticking to the same process.

The difference Ben Stokes makes is invaluable, there is no measure on the impact he has in a changing room. He has been that guy who believes he can achieve anything from any sort of circumstances and has backed that up in match-winning performances. He breeds confidence and belief. After a defeat like that, he will no doubt be speaking in that changing room. His words hold a lot of weight because they are backed up by performance. He will have had a great view of the whole game and hopefully he’ll be back on the field as soon as possible.

Changes for the Bangladesh game will be dependent on conditions. Traditionally up there, you’d say it’s a bit more seam-friendly being further north so they may look to add Reece Topley or David Willey for Moeen Ali or Liam Livingstone. And if Ben Stokes is fit, he obviously comes straight back in.

I have complete faith. Nothing about today’s performance worries me when it comes to believing they can win the trophy. The advantage of having this format is that one bad day doesn’t ruin your tournament, when previously one bad day could have you home within a week. I still think they can and will win this World Cup.

It has been brilliant. It’s way more enjoyable being able to sit back as a fan. With the focused nature and hard work you put in to deliver performances and wins as a player, I’m definitely enjoying it more. I was far more excited turning up to today’s game than I ever allowed myself to be as a player. I didn’t engage in many emotions throughout the course of my career, simply because it didn’t allow me to be the player that I was – it became a hindrance to my performance, being emotional when making decisions just didn’t work for me. It is a pleasure and a privilege to sit back and watch these great players represent England in white-ball cricket. We are littered with unbelievable talent. The level of excitement out here is immense.​

England just never recovered from this. Like home some poster mentioned that had England started their World Cup campaign with a win like tonight maybe it could have gone very differently for them.

Back