New Zealand v Sri Lanka, 1st Test, Christchurch

PlanetPakistan said:
even with 130 they will have a 'chance'

well, they would even have a chance if they had a lead of 20.

Hash said:
well, they would even have a chance if they had a lead of 20.
yea the NZ batting lineup is such that the tail comes before the real batsmen like Vettori and Maccallum. So basically they have the tail at the front instead of the rear

PlanetPakistan said:
yea the NZ batting lineup is such that the tail comes before the real batsmen like Vettori and Maccallum. So basically they have the tail at the front instead of the rear

NZ are basically a team of 11 bits and pieces cricketers.

this has to be one of the best centuries of the year....right up there with Kami's 100 at Karachi

New Zealand need 119 to win.

Come on Sri Lanka!

From what I saw of Bond, his pace was well down and his line and length was not good enough.

Well played Sangakarra!

I remember that match.

If someone could upload it they would be my hero.

Nice to see Pakora fail in both innings.

i've ever watched a test match on TV as boring as this one!

3.6 Malinga to Cumming, no run, bouncer - better direction this time from Malinga and Cumming ducks under it
3.5 Malinga to Cumming, FOUR, short ball down the leg side and Cumming pulls it away to the fine leg fence
3.4 Malinga to Cumming, no run
3.3 Malinga to How, 1 run, defended to cover and they cross over
3.2 Malinga to Cumming, 1 run, played away on the leg side and they scamper through for a single
3.1 Malinga to Cumming, FOUR, short and wide outside the off stump - cut away sharply to the backward point fence
3.1 Malinga to Cumming, 5 wides, short ball on the stumps - Cumming goes for the pull and the ball sails past the keeper

NOT THE KIND of over that you would want to bowl while defending 119

does any one know why Sincilar was out of the test team for so long? the guy is class....and NZ really need some class!

PlanetPakistan said:
Did anyone notice this.......
Match referee: J Srinath (India) :))
hmm, I remember a while back the Indians nominated him as their entry for match referee. I wonder how many matches he's had.

Last edited:
kablooee87 said:
hmm, I remember a while back the Indians nominated him as there entry for match referee. I wonder how many matches he's had.
just looked it up. He was match referee for 2 tests this summer in Sri Lanka when they played SA. This is his third test as match referee.

i think this is his debut....it's a nice way to make your debut because with these 2 teams he wont have to worry about things like over appealing, overrates,sledging etc....

PlanetPakistan said:
i think this is his debut....it's a nice way to make your debut because with these 2 teams he wont have to worry about things like over appealing, overrates,sledging etc....
this is not his debut....someone told me that was the refree in 2 matches in SL SA series.

Another bad over from Sri Lanka. This time Maharoof goes for 8 runs. This match will be over very quickly.

46/0 (11.2 ov)
New Zealand require another 67 runs with 10 wickets remaining

Day 3 - Session 2 New Zealand RR 4.52
Last 10 ovs 50/0 RR 5.00

Min overs remaining 57.3
Full scorecard

Find the error?

another one goes. 4 wickets in the space of 10 runs.

68/4 chasing 119

It's like Malinga just gift wrapped all the momentum and handed it back to NZ.

Malinga doesn't pick wickets and goes for a lot of runs....other than that he is a very good bowler.

looking at the scorecard mentioned earlier, man that's an awesome sight

Code:
New Zealand 2nd innings (target: 127 runs)                      R   M   B  4 6

BR Hartland                              b [B]Wasim Akram[/B]          9  79  62  0 0
MJ Greatbatch         c Aamer Sohail     b [B]Wasim Akram[/B]          8  50  30  0 0
AH Jones              c Asif Mujtaba     b [B]Waqar Younis[/B]        19  92  59  0 0
DK Morrison           lbw                b [B]Wasim Akram[/B]          0   2   3  0 0
+AC Parore            c Rashid Latif     b [B]Wasim Akram [/B]        13  69  37  1 0
RT Latham                                b [B]Waqar Younis[/B]         0  16   6  0 0
*KR Rutherford        c Aamer Sohail     b [B]Wasim Akram[/B]          9  37  22  1 0
CZ Harris                                b [B]Waqar Younis[/B]         9  35  15  1 0
DN Patel                                 b [B]Waqar Younis[/B]         4  34  25  0 0
ML Su'a               lbw                b [B]Waqar Younis[/B]         0   2   3  0 0
MB Owens              not out                                   0  25  11  0 0
Extras                (b 1, lb 11, nb 10)                      22
Total                 (all out, 43.3 overs)                    93

Last edited:
Da*n right.....2 Ws at their best vs the timid kiwis was always a great sight!

Waisay i don't recognize 2 of them(Hartland and Su'a)....Do you guys know anything about them?

Now let's bash/question SL for a moment!

why the heck was M Atapattu not in the team?
Is Jaywerdena an FTB?
Why can't any of their batsmen(exception of Sanga) do anything outside sub continent?
Why was Malinga so poor? Is Fernando a better choice?

PlanetPakistan said:
Da*n right.....2 Ws at their best vs the timid kiwis was always a great sight!

Waisay i don't recognize 2 of them(Hartland and Su'a)....Do you guys know anything about them?
Yeah i remember Su'a, he was just OK bowler of Maori origin, not sure about the other guy though.

By the way, how did Murali get out?? i heard Fleming defending what his team did and commentator said that Kiwis should have appealed for that, what was that all about???

I have never seen Murali bowl as much around the wicket to the right handers as he did in this match.

It is probably something that he should have done more often earlier in his career.

ggm said:
I have never seen Murali bowl as much around the wicket to the right handers as he did in this match.

It is probably something that he should have done more often earlier in his career.
Bowling around the sticks to the right handers nullifies the 'doosra'

Waseem said:
Yeah i remember Su'a, he was just OK bowler of Maori origin, not sure about the other guy though.

By the way, how did Murali get out?? i heard Fleming defending what his team did and commentator said that Kiwis should have appealed for that, what was that all about???
He went up to congratulate Sangakarra for his 100 but apparently the ball wasn't 'dead' so the kiwis ran him out

Brian Hartland took a pounding at the hands of Wasim and Waqar. They bowled some fiery short balls at him and he could not really cope. I remember one bouncer from Wasim that struck him on the helmet, almost before he could react.

Bowling around the sticks to the right handers nullifies the 'doosra'

It brings LBW into play more though. From over the wicket he finds it hard to get LBWs unless the batsman is playing right back.

And his doosra can still be effective from around the wicket, as it can still get that outside edge, although the angle is not as disconcerting for the batsmen.

ggm said:
It brings LBW into play more though. From over the wicket he finds it hard to get LBWs unless the batsman is playing right back.

And his doosra can still be effective from around the wicket, as it can still get that outside edge, although the angle is not as disconcerting for the batsmen.
Not really...While bowling over the wicket he can get people out LBW with both a conventional off-spinner(batsman playing right back) or with a doosra. So now if he comes around the stumps then there is a fair chance of an LBW but it is almost impossible for him to get an LBW via doosra.

Not really...While bowling over the wicket he can get people out LBW with both a conventional off-spinner(batsman playing right back) or with a doosra. So now if he comes around the stumps then there is a fair chance of an LBW but it is almost impossible for him to get an LBW via doosra.
And there is far less chance for an outside edge!

While bowling over the wicket he can get people out LBW with both a conventional off-spinner(batsman playing right back) or with a doosra

The technique of the New Zealand batsmen were to play him off the front foot. Indeed most of his LBWs in this match came from around the wicket to the right handers who were playing off the front foot. Had he been bowling over the wicket I doubt he would have got the same number of LBWs.

ggm said:
The technique of the New Zealand batsmen were to play him off the front foot. Indeed most of his LBWs in this match came from around the wicket to the right handers who were playing off the front foot. Had he been bowling over the wicket I doubt he would have got the same number of LBWs.
In this particular case it might have been a good move. How ever in general if you are getting so much turn that you are getting people LBW from bowling around and on top of that you have an excellent doosra then i suggest you should bowl from over the sticks....because it just opens up a lot more options of dismissing a batsman.

I am not saying he should convert full time to bowling around the wicket. Bowling over the wicket is still the main line of attack.

The point is that there times in the past that he would get stuck against a batsman, but he would not change the angle. There were times when players would thrust their front foot forward and survive for a long period and yet he would not try a few overs around the wicket.

I reckon he would have a lot more LBWs had he bowled a bit more around the wicket earlier in his career, especially to those that played him a lot of the front foot.

ggm said:
I am not saying he should convert full time to bowling around the wicket. Bowling over the wicket is still the main line of attack.

The point is that there times in the past that he would get stuck against a batsman, but he would not change the angle. There were times when players would thrust their front foot forward and survive for a long period and yet he would not try a few overs around the wicket.

I reckon he would have a lot more LBWs had he bowled a bit more around the wicket earlier in his career, especially to those that played him a lot of the front foot.
True...when he didn't have a doosra then bowling around the wics would have been a very good option.

Back