New Zealand Vs India | 3rd ODI | Vadodara | 4/12/10

PB

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Match Facts

Saturday, December 4
Start time 09.00 (03.30 GMT)

Three games to go, a seat in the World-cup dugout awaits, will Yusuf Pathan stake his claim? © AFP

Enlarge

Related LinksMatches: India v New Zealand at Vadodara
Series/Tournaments: New Zealand tour of India [Nov 2010]
Teams: India | New Zealand

The Big Picture

Three games remain but the ODI series already seems to be heading into a one-way street, and the focus has shifted towards the preparations for the World Cup. The success of Virat Kohli, Gautam Gambhir, R Ashwin, and Sreesanth must have heartened the Indian camp and the spotlight is now on the likes of Yusuf Pathan. Suresh Raina, who has one ODI fifty in the last 17 games, has got a break and his form can now be only monitored in South Africa.

Yusuf doesn't have much time to stake his claim. When Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag get back, and given Kohli's rich form, the think-tank could choose to play Yuvraj Singh as the allrounder at the expense of Yusuf and Ravindra Jadeja. Ashwin has perhaps already shoved Jadeja out of the equation with his performances.

That leaves Yusuf in the hot seat. You can understand India's desire to see him succeed. The pitches for the World Cup will most likely be flat patta tracks where Yusuf can hide his shortcomings against the short ball, and showcase his brutal power. Hope floats. On the other hand, we saw him suffocated by the short delivery even on the Indian tracks during the IPL this year and, unfortunately for him, his bowling hasn't reached a level where it can compensate for weaknesses in batting. Three games to go, a seat in the World Cup dugout awaits, will he seize the moment?

New Zealand have lost both games and the World Cup puzzle is yet to fall in place: Should Ross Taylor replace Kane Williamson at the crucial No. 3 position? When Brendon McCullum and Jesse Ryder return at the top, will Taylor, Scott Styris, and Williamson take up the positions from No.3 to No. 5? If Daniel Vettori bats at No. 7, who will then fill up the vital No. 6 slot? "Jacob Oram if he's fit, [James] Franklin is in the mix but I don't think [No.] 6 suits Grant Elliott's batting style," Craig McMillian, the former New Zealand batsman, believes. And where does Martin Guptill figure in this line-up?

The New Zealand seamers disappointed with their inconsistency in the first two games but a few good things have come out in the batting department. Guptill, prone to spontaneously combust after getting starts, has had two good games; Styris is proving as dependable as ever in the lower order; Vettori showed signs of returning to batting form after an indifferent run in the Tests; Taylor had a good first game and looked good for more in the second; Williamson is learning how to pace his innings and while he is yet to crack it, this experience will be invaluable.

Form guide

(most recent first)

India: WWWLW
New Zealand: LLLLL

Watch out for...

Scott Styris is New Zealand's crisis man. He does what Shoaib Malik used to do at his best for Pakistan. He can bat sensibly and deal in singles if the occasion demands it, and can attack. He paces his innings really well and will be the vital cog in the middle-order.

Praveen Kumar returns after missing two games due to fever. He has been one of India's top ODI bowlers for some time now and will look to quickly get into his stride. His slower ones and cutters can test Brendon McCullum's adrenaline rushes.

Teams

Brendon McCullum batted in the nets without any discomfort and is likely to play.

New Zealand (probable): 1 Brendon McCullum (wk), 2 Martin Guptill, 3 Ross Taylor, 4 Scott Styris, 5 Kane Williamson, 6 Grant Elliott / James Franklin, 7 Daniel Vettori (capt), 8 Nathan McCullum, 9 Tim Southee, 10 Kyle Mills, 11 Andy McKay

Praveen and Zaheer Khan are likely to make the playing XI, and Saurabh Tiwary and Ravindra Jadeja might fight it out for the No. 6 spot.

India (probable): 1 M Vijay, 2 Gautam Gambhir (capt), 3 Virat Kohli, 4 Yuvraj Singh, 5 Yusuf Pathan, 6 Saurabh Tiwary/ Ravindra Jadeja, 7 Wriddiman Saha (wk), 8 R Ashwin, 9 Praveen Kumar, 10 Zaheer Khan, 11 Ashish Nehra/Munaf Patel

Stats and trivia

•Vettori became the 12th allrounder in the history of the game to achieve the double of 2000 runs and 200 wickets in ODIs. He is the third New Zealander, after Chris Cairns and Chris Harris, to accomplish this feat.

•Brendon McCullum averages just 24.57, with just two fifties, from 20 games against India.

Quotes

" Batting is what is going to win us games. It's important that New Zealand have a confident, aggressive batting line-up which is confident in its ability and can just go out and play its natural game.""

Former New Zealand batsman Craig McMillan sounds the alarm bells
Awesome, Now that Mccullum, is back in the side...Makes the NZ side much more balanced.

I would love to see the following XI for NZ at the world cup.

1.Brendon Mcullum (wk)
2.Jesse Ryder
3.Martin Guptill
4.Ross Taylor
5.Scott Styris
6.Kane Williamson
7.Daniel Vettori (c)
8.Daryl Tuffey
9.Tim Southee
10.Andy Mckay
11.Kyle Mills

That could be a World Cup winning side with a fully fit and firing Shane Bond !

Lot of potential in that team....we'll beat them though :p

bit of a worrying drift on India for this 3rd ODI

there were 1.40 this morning (12 hours ago) but they've been on the drift ever since and are now 1.53

if they continue to drift out to something incredulous, say, 1.75 ish, then it might be Indian bookies manipulating the market

will keep an eye on this and post an update nearer the off time which is 3.30 AM UK Time

Hope India plays Saurabh Tiwary. He's a good potential for India.

the drift of the betting odds on India has ceased, the price has been holding steady at 1.51 ish for the last couple of hours

Gambhir has won the toss and decided to bowl. "We've got three quality fast bowlers who can exploit the conditions", he says.

:facepalm::)))

Hope Nehra finds some form in this game. It will be good to have Praveen Kumar back for the final 2 games.

Gahh, NZ pretty much is a minnow
New Zealand, Bangladesh, West Indies, And Pakistan, all suck -__-...Pakistan not really, but their not consistent. -_-
We only have, India, South Africa, Australia, England and Sri Lanka, who are the top teams..

:(

Nehra isnt a class bowler
Zaheer is.

You have to turn everything into Pak vs India don't you?

I think he was turning it into NZ Vs Pak. Besides if I was a Pak fan, wouldn't worry too much. After all you have "class bowlers" am sure they will bowl you to victory.

I think he was turning it into NZ Vs Pak. Besides if I was a Pak fan, wouldn't worry too much. After all you have "class bowlers" am sure they will bowl you to victory.

Who is he to predict, NZ will OWN Pakistan...

Our class bowlers are gone.. lol

oh im sorry Pakistan doesnt have word class bowlers like bharat
zaheer khan best bowler in the world
ishant sharma and sreesanth fastest bowlers in the world
harbhajan singh is better than warne

Well, last series when Asif and Ameer were playing, if it wasn't for the rain on day 5, NZ would have won the series. And these time, these "class bowlers" won't be there.

Well, last series when Asif and Ameer were playing, if it wasn't for the rain on day 5, NZ would have won the series. And these time, these "class bowlers" won't be there.

If, Razzaq caught Tendulkar in 2003 world cup, We would have won there as well..:facepalm:

Come on don't be touchy. It is just harmless banter besides we have Pak members predicting NZ will crush India... No harm in predicting.

About your class bowlers, loss of Asif and Aamer is crushing. Cheer up though, you guys always unearthern new talents in amazing regularity.

If Sachin was in USA, he would be in jail for tax evasion

This Kane guy, should have debuted in 1997..
His playing style is so outdated.

oh im sorry Pakistan doesnt have word class bowlers like bharat
zaheer khan best bowler in the world
ishant sharma and sreesanth fastest bowlers in the world
harbhajan singh is better than warne

I make no claims of Indian bowlers being better than Pak bowlers mentioned above. Though in their defence I must say that they get the job done. All the talent in the world does not make you a world beater on a consistent basis if you don't play with team spirit. Indian bowlers try to do their best and we are content with.

K, THIS team is mentally retarded..
There pretty much minnows now..

why are you laughing...If i was a sachin fan i would be hiding for supporting a demi god who is technically a criminal in books of US laws

Fine. Can I hide out in your house? Will you provide me shelter? How dare I support Sachin " a criminal"?

If they can't even play on these Indian pitches...They willlll suckk big time in World Cup..

"This game is being played at the IPCL Stadium. The Moti Bagh Stadium can be a treat for cricket fans due to the pitch there. It's also in Vadodara and has produced a series of low-scoring first-class matches, always entertaining they are"

Mann, And to think, NZ beat India couple months back, by 200 runs..:facepalm:

The conditions are going to get better for batting in about half our or so. If NZ batsmen hang in , they can score.

Fine. Can I hide out in your house? Will you provide me shelter? How dare I support Sachin " a criminal"?

i dont want to get into trouble for providing shelter to a criminal supporter....you might me worse than him ...sorry...:(

Who cares..Your going to win anyway..

LOL are you willing to risk it. That guy is the most sachin obsessed guy in the world. Bet he never goes to bed a single day without talking about Sachin. Even a true Sachin fan wouldn't be able handle the devotion.

NZ can still score 250+. They have to be patient and wait for Jadeja and others to come on.

sachin has been seen ball tampering
has lied under sacred oath
has sold blood for money and betrayed the people of india

Fine it wasn't plumb. It was still out though. Maybe you should take your green tinted glasses off.

i said it was pitching outside leg
if you stop staring at sachin's bottom on the screen for one minute and check the rules you will know that a batsman cant be given out if the ball is pitching outside leg

Back