Newcastle United FC | 2024/25 Season

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The 2024–25 season is the 132nd season in the history of Newcastle United Football Club and their eighth consecutive season in the Premier League. In addition to the domestic league, the club would also participate in the FA Cup, and the EFL Cup.

Newcastle United Fixtures​

1720879642860.png

1720879671722.png

1720879686801.png

Newcastle determined to keep Howe if England make approach

Newcastle United chief executive Darren Eales says the club are determined to keep Eddie Howe and will resist any approaches from the Football Association.

Howe, 46, is a leading contender to become England's next manager following Gareth Southgate's resignation.

Southgate, who was appointed in 2016 and had five months left on his deal with England, stood down less than 48 hours after Spain beat the Three Lions in the Euro 2024 final.

Howe was appointed Newcastle manager in 2021 and signed a new long-term contract extension in 2022 after steering the club away from relegation.

Asked if the club would fight to keep Howe in the event of an approach from the FA, Earles said: "Yes, absolutely.

"We're on an exciting journey and, as far as we're concerned, Eddie is the man to lead us on that.

"For us, he's exactly the right man for the project we are on at Newcastle United and that is why we are committed to a long-term deal with him. That's why we think he's the right man for Newcastle. We love him."

Eales said, given Howe's long-term contract in the north east, the club would be due compensation should Howe agree to replace Southgate but there was not a "set number" in place.

England are next in action when they face the Republic of Ireland on 7 September in the Nations League.

An interim manager will be in charge if the FA are still to appoint Southgate's successor.

BBC

Newcastle sign Sheffield United striker Osula

Newcastle United have signed Denmark Under-21 striker William Osula from Sheffield United.

The 21-year-old joins the Magpies for a reported fee of £15m, having scored three goals in 31 senior appearances for the Blades.

The striker, who has five caps for Denmark U21s, made 21 Premier League appearances for Chris Wilder's side last term as the Blades were relegated to the Championship.

"It's a big club, a great club, so I'm very happy for the opportunity to join Newcastle United," said Osula.

"It's a great opportunity, and as soon as I heard about Newcastle's interest, I knew I had to take the chance to join this club if it came."

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe says the club have been tracking Osula for some time.

"William is a talented young forward with all the attributes to be an exciting player for Newcastle United," said Howe.

"We have watched his development closely and we are delighted to have the opportunity to work with him in this next step in his career."

Osula is Newcastle's sixth signing of the summer, following the arrivals of Miodrag Pivas, Odysseas Vlachodimos, John Ruddy, Lloyd Kelly and Lewis Hall.

BBC

Newcastle make third bid for Palace defender Guehi

Newcastle United have made a third bid to sign Marc Guehi from Crystal Palace, believed to be in the region of £60m, sources have told BBC Sport.

The bid is believed to be structured with £55m up front and the possibility of £5m in add-ons.

However, Palace value England defender Guehi at close to £70m, with the 24-year-old one of the standout performers at Euro 2024.

The second Newcastle bid was reportedly just under £50m, external.

Guehi has just under two years left on his contract with the Eagles, who will be keen to ensure one of their biggest assets does not run his contract down and leave on a free transfer.

The centre-back has been monitored by a number of top clubs since signing in 2021 from Chelsea and he has made 111 appearances for Palace.

BBC

Tonali's 10-month ban to end on 28 August​

Newcastle United say Sandro Tonali will be available again from 28 August following a 10-month ban for breaching betting rules.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) sanctioned the 24-year-old in October 2023 for breaching the rule which prohibits players placing bets on football events organised by itself, Uefa and Fifa during his time in Italy.

The Italy midfielder joined Newcastle from AC Milan in July 2023 for £55m and his ban came after he had played 12 games for the Magpies.

"The club has received formal confirmation from the Federazione Italiana Guioco Calico (FIGC) that the player's sporting sanction will run up to and including Tuesday, 27th August," said Newcastle.

Tonali's first game back could be in the Carabao Cup against Nottingham Forest depending on when it is played during the week of his return.

Alternatively, Newcastle's next game following the Forest tie is a Premier League home match against Tottenham on Sunday, 1 September.

In May 2024, Tonali was given a suspended two-month ban after admitting to breaches of Football Association betting rules.

He will not have to serve the ban if he does not commit any further breaches before the end of this season.

Tonali has been training with the Newcastle squad during pre-season as he closes in on his return.

"His edge is there now because he knows it is around the corner," Magpies boss Eddie Howe said recently.

"He will miss the start [of the season] but he’s a massive player for us."

The Premier League gets under way on Friday, 16 August, while Newcastle's first game is at home to Southampton the following day.

Newcastle make third bid for Palace defender Guehi

Newcastle United have made a third bid to sign Marc Guehi from Crystal Palace, believed to be in the region of £60m, sources have told BBC Sport.

The bid is believed to be structured with £55m up front and the possibility of £5m in add-ons.

However, Palace value England defender Guehi at close to £70m, with the 24-year-old one of the standout performers at Euro 2024.

The second Newcastle bid was reportedly just under £50m, external.

Guehi has just under two years left on his contract with the Eagles, who will be keen to ensure one of their biggest assets does not run his contract down and leave on a free transfer.

The centre-back has been monitored by a number of top clubs since signing in 2021 from Chelsea and he has made 111 appearances for Palace.

BBC

A good signing if it happens. Newcastle need top 4 again

Tonali's 10-month ban to end on 28 August

Newcastle United say Sandro Tonali will be available again from 28 August following a 10-month ban for breaching betting rules.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) sanctioned the 24-year-old in October 2023 for breaching the rule which prohibits players placing bets on football events organised by itself, Uefa and Fifa during his time in Italy.

The Italy midfielder joined Newcastle from AC Milan in July 2023 for £55m and his ban came after he had played 12 games for the Magpies.

BBC

Newcastle defender Trippier keen to leave club

Newcastle United defender Kieran Trippier wants to leave the club this month in search of first-team football.

The 33-year-old England international was an unused substitute in the Magpies' 1-0 win against Southampton on Saturday.

Trippier, who joined the club from Atletico Madrid in 2022, is behind former Saints full-back Tino Livramento in the pecking order for the right-back position.

Newcastle blocked Trippier from leaving the club in January following interest from Bayern Munich and Saudi Arabia.

Trippier has been linked with a move to Everton to reunite with Sean Dyche, who managed him for three years at Burnley.

Asked about the links in a news conference on Thursday, Dyche said: "He’s one of many names that has come up here.

"As if by magic, his name comes up when we don’t have a right-back available".

Everton will be without full-back Ashley Young for this weekend's trip to Tottenham following his sending off in their weekend defeat by Brighton.

Trippier, who has 54 international caps, started England's first six matches at Euro 2024 but was dropped for the final in favour of Luke Shaw.

The former Tottenham player has two years to run on his contract in the north-east.

BBC

Tonali took comfort helping problem gamblers during 10-month ban

Newcastle and Italy midfielder Sandro Tonali says he took comfort helping other problem gamblers tackle their issues during his 10-month ban for breaching betting rules.

Tonali, who joined Newcastle from AC Milan in July 2023 for £55m, was banned by the Italian Football Federation last October for breaking rules while playing in Serie A.

The ban applied globally after being endorsed by world governing body Fifa.

Having served his punishment, the 24-year-old could return to action on Wednesday, when the Magpies travel to Nottingham Forest in the second round of the Carabao Cup.

Speaking to the club's television channel, Tonali said: "Especially in the first three months, I met a lot of people with ordinary jobs, especially in Newcastle, who had this problem and who had never spoken before now.

"They did so when it all came out, when the articles came out and my problem was made public, so after this they decided to get help and stop bottling things up, so this made me very happy."

As well as his suspension, Tonali was ordered to complete an education programme and made 16 trips back to Italy to talk to the game's next generation about the dangers of gambling.

And knowing his case has helped both members of the public and others in the game confront their problems delivered an unexpected silver lining to a difficult period.

"These people got help just by talking, at first by talking but then with another one thousand ways," he added.

"The first step, the biggest step is being able to talk about this huge thing you're carrying inside of you that you've never done before and you don't have the courage.

"You have this enormous sort of block and this is the biggest step to take to resolve this problem."

Tonali also expressed thanks for the support he has received from those inside the club and their fans.

"I'm happy because it's the first time after 10 months and I'm feeling good because I know the team was here with me and the fans were here with me and I have never been alone in these 10 months," he added.

"It was very, very, very difficult in October, November and December, the first three months, and now I feel it's a new time.

"A footballer lives for [matchdays], so it was hard work. I did work, though. I trained every day, even more than when I was playing."

Newcastle's Trippier announces England retirement​

England defender Kieran Trippier has announced his retirement from international football.

The 33-year-old was capped 54 times with his only goal coming against Croatia in the 2018 World Cup semi-final defeat in Moscow.

The Newcastle right-back, who made his debut in 2017 under former manager Gareth Southgate, captained England three times.

"I never thought as a young lad from Bury that I would play for my country let alone achieve 54 caps," Trippier posted on social media.

"It's been one of the biggest honours of my life to represent my country at four major tournaments.

"I want to say a big thank you to Gareth and all the staff that have worked with the England squad for the trust they have placed in me throughout the years."

Trippier was a mainstay under Southgate and started England's first six matches at Euro 2024 but was dropped for the final in favour of Luke Shaw.

He also started the Euro 2020 final defeat by Italy, and featured as a regular starter at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

England interim coach Lee Carsley names his first squad at 14:00 BST for Nations League matches against the Republic of Ireland and Finland in September.

"Thank you to all my team-mates - we have had some very special moments reaching two Euro finals, and a World Cup semi final and I am sure in the future this group of players will win a major tournament," he added.

"I want to wish Lee, the coaching staff and the team all the best for the future.

"And finally a big thank you to all the England fans for your incredible support travelling all over the world to support us and keeping us going in the difficult moments."

Back