Nic Maddinson - how good is he?

Aman

Test Captain
Runs
21 year old just blasted 113 off 63 balls for Australia A against Ireland in a 4 dayer. One for the future for Australia?

Needs to be able to score singles and twos.

Decent talent though.

Nic Maddinson Thread

Nah, another hack like Warner who would pull off a blinder once in 6 months and then follow it up by a string of single digit scores.

Looks like Australia's obsession of finding another Gilchrist will never end.

After Bevan, in came Hussey, Aussies are desperately missing a finisher.

Hopefully, they'll find one before the 2015 World Cup.

Another nice century today off 106 balls.

Gloucestershire can't be any good.

160091.jpg

150 from 126
122 runs from boundaries though.

Will find that harder in tests (and in Sheffield Shield).

Any chance of a test cap in the next few years?

Very big chance I think.
His FC average is mediocre (36), but so is many others we've capped in the last 2 years. His recent FC season was good. His conversion rate and ability to score tons is good. So far looks a "rocks or diamonds" kind of guy, a bit like when Phil Hughes first emerged (opposite of a steady but limited Cowan type).

Given our current lack of batting depth I'd be actually amazed if this guy doesn't get a go inside 18 months time.

Australia may have some hope! Nic might just be your savior

Last edited:
He will probably average more than Khawaja once this match is over.

And out.
181 from 142 balls with 22 fours and nine sixes.

Good innings though.

Hope Smith does well. Is possibly being earmarked as a future captain. Either him or Warner.

That is extremely impressive, no matter what quality of attack. Is this the first time he is touring England? Have heard a lot about this guy, Alex Doolan and Jordan Silk as being very gifted batsmen

he should have been there in the champions trophy squad. better than hacks like warner & hughes

He continues his fabulous season with the A team.

Playing on 82* from 84 when the team is on 140/9.
I hope he comes good in years to come because Australian batsmen are in real trouble now adays.

Given that Smith and Bancroft are the only players in test contention with anything resembling decent form and the fact that he's scoring runs and doesn't have to face Starc, Maddinson has to be a smokey to make his test debut against the Kiwis. Probably at 4 or 5.

Nic Maddinson can't hide the fact he's got one eye on a Test recall after earning a prized spot in the Australia A side to play Pakistan next month, candidly admitting he wasn't ready for and may not have been deserving of his initial foray into the top flight.

Maddinson's blistering start to his career in Victoria since crossing from New South Wales in 2017 has put him in the frame for a return to the Test side, with selectors this week picking the 27-year-old to play in a three-day tour match under lights at Perth Stadium from November 11.

The call-up came as such a shock that when selector Trevor Hohns called with the good news of a recall, Maddinson had to sheepishly ask where, when and against whom he would be playing, completely unaware that the match had even been scheduled.

With at least two spots in the Test top six up for grabs ahead of next month's Domain series opener against Pakistan at the Gabba, Maddinson could put an irresistible case to selectors if he can replicate his prolific Marsh Sheffield Shield form against international opposition.

In seven games for Victoria over the past two seasons, he's hit four hundreds, including a career-best 224 in their Shield season-opener earlier this month, for a total of 861 runs at 86.

"It’s hard sometimes to not think a little bit further ahead. I think people probably lie when they say they don’t. I definitely have," Maddinson told SEN's Whateley program on Wednesday ahead of Victoria's four-day game against Tasmania in Hobart.

"Not just the past week, even the past six months or even before that. When you’re doing well you sort of have an eye on the future and where you want to end up as a goal.

"It is about scoring runs at the right time and being in the right place at the right time and when it presents yourself you've got to grab it. That's what I didn't do the last time I had the opportunity in the national team (in 2016).

"I've had to go away (and find) a really good method and game plan that works for me now in four-day cricket. I've just been implementing that.

"Just because you're in the in Australia A team doesn't mean you're automatically a Test selection. But to be involved in that group of players and on the list of batters they possibly could be looking at, that's something I'm pretty proud of."

Maddinson's versatility could work in his favour at the selection table; he batted in the middle order in his three Tests during the 2016-17 summer but has thrived as an opener in Victoria.

Regular openers Marcus Harris and Joe Burns, along with Usman Khawaja, Travis Head, Will Pucovski and Maddinson have all been picked in the 'A' squad and all are in contention to play at the Gabba in the first Test.

Maddinson was whisked into the Test side in a period of upheaval following five consecutive defeats in late 2016, but failed to pass 22 in four innings batting at No.6 against South Africa and Pakistan.

The left-hander concedes now that his opportunity might have come too soon.

"At times I didn't think I was deserving of the spot in the first place - I’d only scored one Shield hundred that season," admitted Maddinson, who spent time with Australian Football League side Collingwood over the winter observing their game preparation and review programs.

"It wasn't something I ever really expected, but I don't think I was treated unfairly (to be dropped) at all. I had some pretty good opportunities.

"It was a challenging time. I learnt a lot from the experience.

"Compared to what I know about cricket now about my own batting at the moment, I don't think I had much of an idea what I was doing or much direction on how I wanted to play.

"I wasn't really confident in my game at that level – not even state cricket at that time.

"That's something that’s improved, being a bit older, having a few challenges along the way… I just think I wasn’t ready for that opportunity.

"I feel like I’m at a stage now where if the opportunity happened again I would … have the tools to deal with everything that goes with it."

Domain Test Series v Pakistan

Australia squad: TBC

Pakistan squad: Azhar Ali (c), Abid Ali, Asad Shafiq, Babar Azam, Haris Sohail, Imam-ul-Haq, Imran Khan Snr, Iftikhar Ahmed, Kashif Bhatti, Mohammad Abbas, Mohammad Rizwan (wk), Musa Khan, Naseem Shah, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Shan Masood, Yasir Shah.

Warm-up match: v Cricket Australia XI, November 11-13, Perth Stadium (d/n)

Warm-up match: v Cricket Australia XI, November 15-16, WACA Ground

First Test: November 21-25, Gabba (Seven, Fox & Kayo)

Second Test: November 29 – December 3, Adelaide (d/n) (Seven, Fox & Kayo)

Start your 14-day free trial with Kayo now

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/nic...-stadium-victoria-sheffield-shield/2019-10-30

The time is finally right for Nic Maddinson to earn a Test recall, former Australian skipper Steve Waugh says.

While Waugh admitted Maddinson wasn’t ready for his 2016 baggy green debut, he was now convinced the Victorian batsman was worthy of filling what he felt were two vacancies in Australia’s top six ahead of the two-Test series against Pakistan.

Maddinson was once considered Australia’s forgotten man after falling off the radar following his underwhelming Test stint three years ago.

The talented left-hander never seemed to recover from his dismissal for a 12-ball duck by South Africa’s lively Kagiso Rabada on Test debut under lights with a seaming pink ball at Adelaide in November 2016.

When Maddinson was finally dropped he had amassed just 27 runs at 6.75. And he appeared well behind the pecking order with Travis Head, Joe Burns, Usman Khawaja, Marcus Harris and Will Pucovski all considered front-runners for a Test nod.

But Waugh believed Maddinson had done enough to earn a return for the first Test against Pakistan starting in Brisbane on November 21 after his heroics for Victoria.

The former NSW batsman is the Sheffield Shield’s leading run scorer, boosting his aggregate with a lone hand in Victoria’s first innings in their current clash against Tasmania in Hobart.

Maddinson slashed 69 off just 68 balls in Victoria’s first dig of 127 to boost his Shield aggregate to 367 runs at 91.75.

“He is definitely a chance. He has played Test cricket before but he was picked probably not at the right time,” Waugh told AAP.

“But he is an enormous talent. There’s never been any doubt about that.

“He’s scoring runs and he will come back (into Test cricket) a better player.

“He is definitely in the framework now he has the skills. The signs are really good.” Victorian No.3 Pucovski again failed to push his Test claim in the Shield clash with the Tigers, falling for seven on Friday after his first dig of three.

But Victoria’s Harris (60) and ex-Test batsman Peter Handscomb (52) impressed in the second innings as the visitors tried to stay in the fight against Tasmania.

Waugh did not envy the Test selectors before they named their batting order with only Steve Smith, David Warner, Marnus Labuschagne and Matthew Wade considered batting locks ahead of the series against Pakistan.

But he was confident the cream would rise to the top in Shield cricket.

“The top-six is not settled. Australian coach Justin Langer has said that two spots are up for grabs which is probably fair,” he said.

“They have experienced players there but there are some opportunities there for batsmen to really cement their spots (in Shield cricket).

“But it’s a great time to be in the Australian cricket side. We have fast bowlers capable of taking 20 wickets and once we have the batting line-up settled we will be very hard to beat.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/8cb926eb21fc45e9fc53a6d99e2d5bf8

A very talented player. A pure joy to watch how he times the ball. Let's see if he can make it at the test level.
Personally I think he is more suited to the shorter formats.

Cricket Australia statement on Nic Maddinson
Nic Maddinson has withdrawn from Australia A’s tour match against Pakistan on mental health grounds.

Cricket Australia supports Maddinson’s decision, which was relayed to team management on Friday.

Cameron Bancroft will replace Maddinson in the Australia A XI for the three-day, day-night match against Pakistan, beginning at Perth Stadium from Monday, November 11.

Ben Oliver, Cricket Australia’s EGM of National Teams, said Maddinson would be afforded all the time and support he needed to return to full health.

“The wellbeing of our players is always our primary concern,” Oliver said. “We are proud that our players are comfortable to speak honestly and openly about how they are feeling.

“We will provide Nic with all the support and care we can and wish him a full and speedy recovery. We also ask that Nic’s privacy be respected at this time.”

Graeme Hick, Australia A’s coach for the match against Pakistan, said the thoughts of the entire Australian cricket family were with Maddinson.

“Nic has made the right decision and we are all behind him,” Hick said. “It is braver to speak up than to suffer in silence and I applaud Nic for having the courage to put his health first.

“While saddened to see Nic stand down, we welcome Cam Bancroft to the Australia A XI. Cam is obviously no stranger to quality international bowling and the Perth Stadium wicket. We have no doubt he will fit well into the team.”

Alex Kountouris, Cricket Australia’s Sports Science and Sports Medicine Manager, said CA is committed to better understanding mental health and supporting those who were encountering issues in this area.

“Mental health is a challenge faced by Australian communities and elite sporting organisations and cricket is no different,” Kountouris said. “Like other professional sports we are working very hard to better understand the challenges faced by our players and staff so we can support them.

“We are all proud to work in an industry where players can feel safe to talk about these issues. It goes without saying that we offer all our players the support they need in the difficult times but importantly we are working on education, resourcing and research to better understand how we do this.”

Australia spinner Nathan Lyon has applauded former state teammate Nic Maddinson for having the courage to pull out of a national selection trial for mental health reasons when a recall to the Test side was within sight.

Maddinson, 27, became the second player in a fortnight to withdraw from an Australian representative team over mental health following Glenn Maxwell, who took a break during the Twenty20 international series against Sri Lanka.

The former NSW batsman, who now plays with Victoria, was to turn out for Australia A against Pakistan in Perth in a day-night match starting on Monday which is likely to determine the final two spots in the Australian team for the first Test against the tourists in Brisbane this month.

Maddinson has taken personal leave on a previous occasion, soon after he was dumped from the Test team following a modest return in three appearances in the tumultuous summer of 2016/17 when he made his debut.

He has not played a Test since then but had worked his way back into contention by averaging nearly 80 for his adopted state and posting a double century against South Australia to start the Sheffield Shield season.

"I think it’s unbelievable that players feel confident enough to come out and speak about it," Lyon said. "Throughout the whole society we’re all very aware of how dangerous mental issues are, so I’m all for Nic and Glenn and these guys coming out and speaking about it.

Former Australian captain Mark Taylor has named his Test squad for the upcoming summer.

"If they need help, then they’ve got us in their corner and they’ve got enough support from Cricket Australia and the ACA, which we’re very lucky to have as professional sportspeople. I really hope Nic and Glenn, the last two guys who have come out and spoken, hopefully, they’re tracking OK. Hopefully, they’ll be back out there playing cricket sooner rather than later."

Maddinson and Maxwell are not isolated cases. NSW all-rounder Moises Henriques went public on his struggles with mental illness last summer and Victoria youngster and Test contender Will Pucovksi was released from the Test squad in February for mental health reasons.

"Professional sport has a different element with the pressures of the media and social media and the expectations," Lyon said. "But I think it’s just that crucial and that great that people feel confident enough to speak about it and go and seek help."

Lyon was speaking ahead of the Blues’ Shield match against Western Australia starting at the SCG on Monday.

Top-of-the-table NSW are aiming to win their fourth match in as many starts this season and have a star-studded line-up with the addition of Steve Smith, Pat Cummins and Mitchell Starc from Australian T20 duty. David Warner is being rested for family reasons but the Blues team includes nine current or former Test players: Smith, Starc, Cummins, Lyon, Josh Hazlewood, Trent Copeland, Henriques, Steve O'Keefe and captain Peter Nevill.

"When all the Test boys get back here playing for the Blues it’s pretty exciting," Lyon said. "There is a great feeling here in amongst the group and hopefully we can pass on a bit of knowledge, especially the likes of Smithy to the young guys like Dan Solway, who’s just made a fantastic hundred down in Adelaide. It’s a great opportunity for the young guys like Dan to learn off especially Steve."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...ues-mental-health-breaks-20191110-p53987.html

Mental health issues. I wonder how many Pakistani cricketers have suffered the same but kept it quiet.

Back