No oil, gas reserves found at Kekra-1: Petroleum Division [Update Post #237]

I am just curious to know if it is true. I heard that majority of national level projects in Pakistan are under Army. They all run or operated by Army owned companies, its like Pakistan Army has a portfolio.

And this oil reserve if they validate or find, it will be managed by Army and not by Pakistan Govt.

I believe this can very well explain where Pak Army has a such big purchase power for the arms and local people are living in a relatively bad state if you look at the army spend.

I am just curious to know if it is true. I heard that majority of national level projects in Pakistan are under Army. They all run or operated by Army owned companies, its like Pakistan Army has a portfolio.

And this oil reserve if they validate or find, it will be managed by Army and not by Pakistan Govt.

I believe this can very well explain where Pak Army has a such big purchase power for the arms and local people are living in a relatively bad state if you look at the army spend.

Mind your own business and don't bring your garbage Indian propaganda here.

Pakistan oil discovery may have meaning to entire region: Chinese media

BEIJING: Pakistan may soon hit an oil jackpot and that will be good news for not only the country itself but all of South Asia as well as China and Gulf nations, Chinese media has said.

There is a strong possibility that the country may discover a very big oil reserve in its waters. If this prediction comes true, the discovery will help the South Asian country to tackle its economic problems, Global Times reported on Wednesday.

US oil giant Exxon Mobil and Italy’s ENI have been involved since January in drilling an ultra-deep oil well.

Pakistan may have a more urgent need for foreign investment if massive oil reserves were indeed discovered. There may be more international companies wanting to participate in related projects ranging from exploration to refining and logistics. The related investment will also help Pakistan maintain its growth momentum.

China has sound cooperation in energy with Pakistan.

A big oil find would stimulate investment enthusiasm among Chinese companies. China is willing to support Pakistan’s efforts to seize the development opportunity such a find might bring, and handle any challenges.

The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) was originally conceived as a strategic project with oil and gas pipeline links between Northwest China’s Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region and Gwadar port.

If Pakistan discovers massive oil reserves, that will be a motivation to extend Pakistan’s pipeline network further into neighbouring countries, and also to enhance energy cooperation with Gulf nations such as Saudi Arabia.

Not only China but also the whole region will benefit from economic integration through energy connectivity.

Using those reserves will likely result in large cross-border capital flows, infrastructure investment, energy trades, and people-to-people exchanges. The region will see the development and utilisation of oil reserves as a pillar of economic integration and stability.

The geopolitical picture in Asia has long been complex and uneven, but Pakistan’s potential oil reserves are likely a game-changer for the region, with economic cooperation in energy.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/232280-pa...-to-entire-region-chinese-media?5c9b4b151d6b5

Does China possess the extraction capability to do deep sea oil drilling? Just wondering if the US companies might have some competition for rights to the project?

LOL, truth hurts? It was just a genuine question.

Its funny how many times you have brought your crap propaganda on Indian issues like Indian issues are your business. This called classic example of hierocracy! Remember? I called you on this earlier as well that you judge very hypocritically.

Besides, the question was for the board and not to you directly so if you have not liked it, you should have ignored instead of responding with rude comments. learn to be nice and take criticism with dignity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Below will show you a mirror that how much your are out of place when it comes to the reality. Thank me later for enlightening you, read on and these sources are Pakistani sources.

My question was to verify below information and was not some Indian propaganda. Unlike you, I don't carry any hate towards Pakistanis or don't comment with half backed information. Cheers!

https://www.dawn.com/news/1272211

https://www.dailyo.in/politics/paki...-defence-budget-imran-khan/story/1/30039.html

https://www.aljazeera.com/focus/pakistanpowerandpolitics/2007/10/2008525184515984128.html

So there is nothing wrong in assuming that Pak army will not let go such a big oil project without their control. I am not judging if it is good for Pakistanis, just sharing information here for many people who are not aware of this.

Even in today's address for some other ceremony IK mentioned that we may get good news in about three weeks. So he may know something. Although he did say to pray it turns out to be true. So nothing definitive.

If true, Pak will be the new Saudis. Super Rich and the rest of subcontinent will be queuing up at Pak Embassy for a Visa to serve the new Masters.

Should I pack up things here at US and move back to Pakistan :hamster::snack::yahoo

Even in today's address for some other ceremony IK mentioned that we may get good news in about three weeks. So he may know something. Although he did say to pray it turns out to be true. So nothing definitive.

Like i said, extremely unprofessional to mention it in public if you are not 100% sure

I know you are bit of a troll but there is some truth in your post but a lot of it is wrong Pakistan army does run a corporate arm called Fauji Foundation but it’s not controlling majority of the national projects . They are active in some industries such as Fertilizer, Real estate etc but they are also missing from a lot of key industries such as upstream oil and gas , Petrochemical . They operate like a great corporate but in no way they have an undue advantage over other top notch local corporates like Engro, Nishat, Baharia etc

Q
I know you are bit of a troll but there is some truth in your post but a lot of it is wrong Pakistan army does run a corporate arm called Fauji Foundation but it’s not controlling majority of the national projects . They are active in some industries such as Fertilizer, Real estate etc but they are also missing from a lot of key industries such as upstream oil and gas , Petrochemical . They operate like a great corporate but in no way they have an undue advantage over other top notch local corporates like Engro, Nishat, Baharia etc

Well explained but you’re explaining all this to a troll and there are many such here.

Fallacy created by mostly Indian and psuedo-liberal of Pakistan.

Another fallacy is that demise of Pakistan's economy is due to Army.

A competent and corrupt free government is all needed even if one to believed what is said by Indians and pseudo-liberal of Pakistan.

In next 5 years, the myth of Army is at fault of for Pakistan's economy will be busted.

Texas tea, Black gold, whatever you want to call it, we can now be bigwigs at OPEC and throw tantrums at meetings and spanners into the works whenever we feel so inclined.

I wonder if we could sell all this crude to other countries, let them pollute their air, and use the proceeds to build dams and solar plants and wind farms in Pakistan?

This. We have enormous potential in wind and solar energy but these oil companies do not let us develop renewable energy projects so we are stuck with dirty expensive thermal energy.

Below will show you a mirror that how much your are out of place when it comes to the reality. Thank me later for enlightening you, read on and these sources are Pakistani sources.

My question was to verify below information and was not some Indian propaganda. Unlike you, I don't carry any hate towards Pakistanis or don't comment with half backed information. Cheers!

https://www.dawn.com/news/1272211

https://www.dailyo.in/politics/paki...-defence-budget-imran-khan/story/1/30039.html

https://www.aljazeera.com/focus/pakistanpowerandpolitics/2007/10/2008525184515984128.html

So there is nothing wrong in assuming that Pak army will not let go such a big oil project without their control. I am not judging if it is good for Pakistanis, just sharing information here for many people who are not aware of this.

Out of the three sources you quoted, one is Indian with the usual Indian bias so I will not even address that. Aljazeera's article is from 2008 with one source "Ayesha Saddiqa" a known Military critic. It provides no credible source just vague statement that military enterprises are worth 10 to 20 bil??
The only credible source somewhat is the Dawn article. It lists all the enterprises run by the Fauji Foundation, Shaheen Foundation and Bahria Foundation. Other than Fauji Fertilizers and Shaheen Airlines there no big enterprise that is run. These foundation do have an advantage that they get land essentially for free and can utlize expertise (in case of Shaheen airlines Pilots/Engineers from PAF on deputation) but in no way do they impede private enterprises. If somebody wants to set up an airline in Pakistan, the Gov will be more than happy to assist. The whole idea behind these foundations is to provide employment / adjustment to retiring military personnel into civilian lives. Usually a mid level officer at the rank of Major/Lt Col retires in their mid 40s if there is no future growth in their career or they want to separate voluntarily. The objective is not to turn a profit rather provide employment and "re-tooling" for civilian life since these retiring personnel have another 20+ years of working life available. This whole notion that the military runs these enterprises to enrich the pockets of its evil generals is laughable. Funding of these foundations come from membership to these foundation by military personnel ( a certain amount is deducted from each fauji's paycheck) and from military budget (50/50).

The contentious point is the DHAs i-e Defense Housing Authorities across the country. Here the military has been allotted prime land in key metro areas like Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi etc. On retirement each officer is supposed to get either a plot or a built house at cost which is minimal compared to the market value of the and or house. In some cases senior officers have been allotted big agricultural plots with usual corruption happening. All military personnel pay for the said plot/house throughout their career and would only get it if you had served 20+ years.
I explain all of this just to shut all these frivolous crap that comes from across the border.

For CPEC, Army's FWO worked on just building transportation infrastructure in Baluchistan due to the sensitivity of the area and expertise required for major infrastructure projects. Keep in mind, even in the US, the highways were built by Corp of Engineers and even today by Law all Levees and navigable waterways are maintained by US Army Corp of Engineers.

Out of the three sources you quoted, one is Indian with the usual Indian bias so I will not even address that. Aljazeera's article is from 2008 with one source "Ayesha Saddiqa" a known Military critic. It provides no credible source just vague statement that military enterprises are worth 10 to 20 bil??
The only credible source somewhat is the Dawn article. It lists all the enterprises run by the Fauji Foundation, Shaheen Foundation and Bahria Foundation. Other than Fauji Fertilizers and Shaheen Airlines there no big enterprise that is run. These foundation do have an advantage that they get land essentially for free and can utlize expertise (in case of Shaheen airlines Pilots/Engineers from PAF on deputation) but in no way do they impede private enterprises. If somebody wants to set up an airline in Pakistan, the Gov will be more than happy to assist. The whole idea behind these foundations is to provide employment / adjustment to retiring military personnel into civilian lives. Usually a mid level officer at the rank of Major/Lt Col retires in their mid 40s if there is no future growth in their career or they want to separate voluntarily. The objective is not to turn a profit rather provide employment and "re-tooling" for civilian life since these retiring personnel have another 20+ years of working life available. This whole notion that the military runs these enterprises to enrich the pockets of its evil generals is laughable. Funding of these foundations come from membership to these foundation by military personnel ( a certain amount is deducted from each fauji's paycheck) and from military budget (50/50).

The contentious point is the DHAs i-e Defense Housing Authorities across the country. Here the military has been allotted prime land in key metro areas like Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi etc. On retirement each officer is supposed to get either a plot or a built house at cost which is minimal compared to the market value of the and or house. In some cases senior officers have been allotted big agricultural plots with usual corruption happening. All military personnel pay for the said plot/house throughout their career and would only get it if you had served 20+ years.
I explain all of this just to shut all these frivolous crap that comes from across the border.

For CPEC, Army's FWO worked on just building transportation infrastructure in Baluchistan due to the sensitivity of the area and expertise required for major infrastructure projects. Keep in mind, even in the US, the highways were built by Corp of Engineers and even today by Law all Levees and navigable waterways are maintained by US Army Corp of Engineers.

Nicely explained. People fail to understand that military only fills the vacuum left by incapable corrupt civilian institutions and non existent private sector in various fields. Military never deliberately tries to exert pressure on any private company or civilian institution.
Indians spreading propaganda and misinformation is understandable but our own supposedly 'enlightened' brigade are the real clowns who are aware of the reality but still lap up anti-military propaganda.

I think all who calling names are one of the highest ignorance I have come across. They refuse to read or accept the truth.

No where in my post I made claims, I asked question. Then after some half backed, questioned me I posted some reports or news from top Pakistani newspaper, I can also post Chinese newspaper if that's what you all believe in.

There is a huge lack of information among local Pakistanis and Pakistanis from abroad, God knows which world they live.

Again when you call names doesn't make you right..in most cases it looks you highly uninformed to the reality.

$ 100 Billion is the Pak army business which grew from $20 Billion in last 5 to 7 years..again I know you will not bother to look at facts but instead come here and name calling Indians and Pakistanis who really care for their country by highlighting the bitter truth..

I think all who calling names are one of the highest ignorance I have come across. They refuse to read or accept the truth.

No where in my post I made claims, I asked question. Then after some half backed, questioned me I posted some reports or news from top Pakistani newspaper, I can also post Chinese newspaper if that's what you all believe in.

There is a huge lack of information among local Pakistanis and Pakistanis from abroad, God knows which world they live.

Again when you call names doesn't make you right..in most cases it looks you highly uninformed to the reality.

$ 100 Billion is the Pak army business which grew from $20 Billion in last 5 to 7 years..again I know you will not bother to look at facts but instead come here and name calling Indians and Pakistanis who really care for their country by highlighting the bitter truth..

You have an agenda you need to fit your narrative in. The actual facts do not support that.

I reviewed the sources you provided and responded accordingly. Nowhere did I call you any names.
Contrary to your statement, I am an AF brat whose father managed one of these said enterprises therefore I have very intimate knowledge of the working of Shaheen Foundation.

You have an agenda you need to fit your narrative in. The actual facts do not support that.

I reviewed the sources you provided and responded accordingly. Nowhere did I call you any names.
Contrary to your statement, I am an AF brat whose father managed one of these said enterprises therefore I have very intimate knowledge of the working of Shaheen Foundation.

Sorry my post was not towards you. Your post was very informative. My post was for earlier posters who were calling names without providing any information.

Like I mentioned I never said whether it is bad or good it was just a question raised based on the reports.

And is it not this board is to ask questions and get calrifications? I dont understand why some people sole motive is to make it India vs Pakistan when they lavishly thrash India at every possible chance.

Again thank you for your explanation and I may come up with more questions if you dont mind.

Army has no stakeholder role in CPEC which is the biggest infrastructure scheme in Pakistan's history

I think US Army maintaining highways is different than Army making profit and have their corporation run to generate profit. So let's not mix those two.

Fauji foundation is very well operated company with their presence in LNG, Real estate, Fertilizers, Power and Utilities and list can go on and on. Even then one should not have problem but when you see that their billions of dollars profit share among army personnel and don't end up helping common citizen.

They are profitable because they are receiving almost free land to develop real estate properties, free pass to take on tenders in other sectors. How any private company can survive in this environment where game is not fair?

Instead of developing land for poor, Fauji org takes those land and turn into a money making machine for them. I am very sure sooner or later they will be part of CPEC project, its just a matter of time.

second last paragraph of below article clearly state their interest in CPEC.

https://fp.brecorder.com/2018/07/20180714390574/

JBFire And others. You are derailing the thread. If you want to discuss a topic open a new thread.

I open a thread with a title I expect a discussion on the topic and not 80% about some other issue.

Experts reject claim of major oil, gas discovery

A top official of Petroleum Division said he did not know who was briefing Prime Minister Imran Khan at this stage that a major oil discovery was on the cards.

A top official said he did not know who was briefing the premier at this stage that a major discovery was on the cards ENI, is operator of the Kekra well-1, while Exxon Mobile, OGDCL and Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) are the sleeping partners of the joint venture Till last Saturday the well was drilled at a depth of 3,700 meters which is far away from the target of 5500 meters, says official

ISLAMABAD: The Petroleum Division authorities are clueless as to why Prime Minister Imran Khan time and gain announces that Pakistan is going to discover the biggest oil and gas reserves in the country’s deep sea, as drilling up to the required depth of 5,500 meters will complete by the end of April.

The Kekra-1 well, G Block has been drilled to a depth of 3,700 meters so far. In a second interaction with the media persons on Monday, Imran again reiterated that Pakistan was going to have a massive oil and gas discovery without knowing the repercussions of his announcements on the stock exchange businesses.

However, till Saturday last, dated January 9, the well was drilled at a depth of 3,700 meters which is far away from the target of 5500 meters.

So it is too much early to claim a major discovery. A top official said he did not know who was briefing the premier at this stage that a major discovery was on the cards. In kekra-1 well, he said, earlier the well was drilled to a depth of 4,900 meters when a high pressure was felt causing huge mud loss and because of unsafe operation the well was plugged. Then the first side tracking started and when it reached down to 3100 meters, then it again met failure which is why the hole was also blocked and now the second side tracking is underway owing to which the well is drilled by 3,700 meter and the target of 5500 meters is still 1,800 meters away, a top relevant official told this reporter quoting the data of ENI — the lead operator of the well. ENI, an Italian company, is operator of the Kekra well-1. Exxon Mobile, OGDCL and Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) are the sleeping partners of the joint venture.

The spud drilling activities at Kekra-1 well was kicked off with $75-80 million by joint venture with 25 percent share each.

He said there were two types of pressure kicks; one’s called the water pressure kick and the other gas pressure kick. The official said the well at the depth of 4,800 meters was plugged because of kick pressure owing to which drilling activities had to be halted on account of huge mud loss. And after pause of some days, from one side, first side tracking process initiated and when drilling reached a depth of 3100 meters it met failure and the first side tracking had also be stopped and now the second side tracking is going on owing to which the drilling has reached the depth of 3,700 meters as of today. However, when contacted Mr Irtiza Sayyed, CEO ExxonMobile, said he was travelling and it was better to ask the ENI which was lead operation of Kekra-1.

ENI country representative Kamran Mian showed his inability to respond to any question saying under protocol he was no allowed to speak about any information on exploration activities at Kekra-1.

Additional Secretary and spokesman for the Petroleum Division Sher Afgan, however, confirmed that when drilling reached a depth of 4,800 meters, the sudden kick pressure came up causing imbalance to the drilling structure owing to which the drilling braved the mud loss.

The ExxonMobile had to again spud the well by 1,500 meters. He confirmed that first side tracking, which after 3100 meters depth, met failure and now the second side tracking was underway.

GA Sabri, former special secretary Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Resources and former DG Oil, said prior to drilling the Kekra-1, the probability of discovery was 19 percent, but after two sides tracking, the probability had reduced.

He said the target was 5,500 meters and ExxonMobile was yet to go 1800 meters deep. He said kick pressure was no sign of a major discovery. He said TOTAL had earlier spud the well in G Block and its depth target was 5,000 meter, but it abandoned the well just before 5,000 meter depth ensuring no discovery.

Ghulam Mustafa, former OGDCL drilling engineer, said he felt that formation pressure was on the higher side whereas mud was on the lower side due to which when high pressure came out the structure got imbalanced. However, he needs the answer as to why the well is plugged, as it could have been managed. He said if the first side tracking had got initiated then why it was also plugged.

Mustafa said now rigs with high technology were being used for ultra-deep exploration activities having the capacity to initiate side tracking from five sides. He shared his experience of exploration activities at well no. 7-A in Dhakni oilfield saying side tracking was done from four sides, but all endeavours met failure.

However, DG Petroleum Concessions Qazi Saleem said the preliminary investment of $75-80 million for drilling endeavour was usually considered in the world of oil and gas as the sunk investment assuming the well emerges as dried one. The drilling activity is always a risky business which is why investment in drilling is named as sunk investment. The DGPC disclosed about 17 wells in Pakistan’s deep sea were drilled in the past, but all endeavours failed. Highlighting the background of the drilling activities done in the past in ultra-deep sea of Pakistan, he said the first offshore well was drilled in 1963 by the US company Sun Oil but the well was found dried.

The same Sun Oil Company in 1964 spud two wells in Pakistan’s deep sea but both also went dried. After a lapse of eight years, Winter Shall from Germany explored three wells in ultra-deep sea which later on got abandoned as nothing was discovered. He further stated that Winter Shall drilled two wells in 1972 and third one in 1975 but no oil and gas was discovered.

He said in 1976, Marathon Oil Company from US endeavoured for drilling, but nothing was discovered. In 1978, Husky Company from Canada also spud the well, but no success was met. Then after seven years’ time, it was OGDCL that spud the well in 1985, but again no discovery was made. Likewise, in 1989, Occidental company explored the well but that too went dried.

In 1992, Canterbury from New Zealand and in 1999-2000 Ocean company from US spud two wells but both went dried. In 2004, TOTAL — a French company — also explored one well but that was also abandoned.

Pakistan Petroleum Limited tried in 2005 and Shell from Netherlands endeavoured in 2007 and Shark-1 went in 2010 for drilling in Pakistan’s deep sea but all went in vain. In toto, 17 serious attempts were made for wells drilling for oil and gas, but nothing was discovered.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/449719-experts-reject-claim-of-major-oil-gas-discovery

A top official of Petroleum Division said he did not know who was briefing Prime Minister Imran Khan at this stage that a major oil discovery was on the cards.

A top official said he did not know who was briefing the premier at this stage that a major discovery was on the cards ENI, is operator of the Kekra well-1, while Exxon Mobile, OGDCL and Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) are the sleeping partners of the joint venture Till last Saturday the well was drilled at a depth of 3,700 meters which is far away from the target of 5500 meters, says official

ISLAMABAD: The Petroleum Division authorities are clueless as to why Prime Minister Imran Khan time and gain announces that Pakistan is going to discover the biggest oil and gas reserves in the country’s deep sea, as drilling up to the required depth of 5,500 meters will complete by the end of April.

The Kekra-1 well, G Block has been drilled to a depth of 3,700 meters so far. In a second interaction with the media persons on Monday, Imran again reiterated that Pakistan was going to have a massive oil and gas discovery without knowing the repercussions of his announcements on the stock exchange businesses.

However, till Saturday last, dated January 9, the well was drilled at a depth of 3,700 meters which is far away from the target of 5500 meters.

So it is too much early to claim a major discovery. A top official said he did not know who was briefing the premier at this stage that a major discovery was on the cards. In kekra-1 well, he said, earlier the well was drilled to a depth of 4,900 meters when a high pressure was felt causing huge mud loss and because of unsafe operation the well was plugged. Then the first side tracking started and when it reached down to 3100 meters, then it again met failure which is why the hole was also blocked and now the second side tracking is underway owing to which the well is drilled by 3,700 meter and the target of 5500 meters is still 1,800 meters away, a top relevant official told this reporter quoting the data of ENI — the lead operator of the well. ENI, an Italian company, is operator of the Kekra well-1. Exxon Mobile, OGDCL and Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) are the sleeping partners of the joint venture.

The spud drilling activities at Kekra-1 well was kicked off with $75-80 million by joint venture with 25 percent share each.

He said there were two types of pressure kicks; one’s called the water pressure kick and the other gas pressure kick. The official said the well at the depth of 4,800 meters was plugged because of kick pressure owing to which drilling activities had to be halted on account of huge mud loss. And after pause of some days, from one side, first side tracking process initiated and when drilling reached a depth of 3100 meters it met failure and the first side tracking had also be stopped and now the second side tracking is going on owing to which the drilling has reached the depth of 3,700 meters as of today. However, when contacted Mr Irtiza Sayyed, CEO ExxonMobile, said he was travelling and it was better to ask the ENI which was lead operation of Kekra-1.

ENI country representative Kamran Mian showed his inability to respond to any question saying under protocol he was no allowed to speak about any information on exploration activities at Kekra-1.

Additional Secretary and spokesman for the Petroleum Division Sher Afgan, however, confirmed that when drilling reached a depth of 4,800 meters, the sudden kick pressure came up causing imbalance to the drilling structure owing to which the drilling braved the mud loss.

The ExxonMobile had to again spud the well by 1,500 meters. He confirmed that first side tracking, which after 3100 meters depth, met failure and now the second side tracking was underway.

GA Sabri, former special secretary Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Resources and former DG Oil, said prior to drilling the Kekra-1, the probability of discovery was 19 percent, but after two sides tracking, the probability had reduced.

He said the target was 5,500 meters and ExxonMobile was yet to go 1800 meters deep. He said kick pressure was no sign of a major discovery. He said TOTAL had earlier spud the well in G Block and its depth target was 5,000 meter, but it abandoned the well just before 5,000 meter depth ensuring no discovery.

Ghulam Mustafa, former OGDCL drilling engineer, said he felt that formation pressure was on the higher side whereas mud was on the lower side due to which when high pressure came out the structure got imbalanced. However, he needs the answer as to why the well is plugged, as it could have been managed. He said if the first side tracking had got initiated then why it was also plugged.

Mustafa said now rigs with high technology were being used for ultra-deep exploration activities having the capacity to initiate side tracking from five sides. He shared his experience of exploration activities at well no. 7-A in Dhakni oilfield saying side tracking was done from four sides, but all endeavours met failure.

However, DG Petroleum Concessions Qazi Saleem said the preliminary investment of $75-80 million for drilling endeavour was usually considered in the world of oil and gas as the sunk investment assuming the well emerges as dried one. The drilling activity is always a risky business which is why investment in drilling is named as sunk investment. The DGPC disclosed about 17 wells in Pakistan’s deep sea were drilled in the past, but all endeavours failed. Highlighting the background of the drilling activities done in the past in ultra-deep sea of Pakistan, he said the first offshore well was drilled in 1963 by the US company Sun Oil but the well was found dried.

The same Sun Oil Company in 1964 spud two wells in Pakistan’s deep sea but both also went dried. After a lapse of eight years, Winter Shall from Germany explored three wells in ultra-deep sea which later on got abandoned as nothing was discovered. He further stated that Winter Shall drilled two wells in 1972 and third one in 1975 but no oil and gas was discovered.

He said in 1976, Marathon Oil Company from US endeavoured for drilling, but nothing was discovered. In 1978, Husky Company from Canada also spud the well, but no success was met. Then after seven years’ time, it was OGDCL that spud the well in 1985, but again no discovery was made. Likewise, in 1989, Occidental company explored the well but that too went dried.

In 1992, Canterbury from New Zealand and in 1999-2000 Ocean company from US spud two wells but both went dried. In 2004, TOTAL — a French company — also explored one well but that was also abandoned.

Pakistan Petroleum Limited tried in 2005 and Shell from Netherlands endeavoured in 2007 and Shark-1 went in 2010 for drilling in Pakistan’s deep sea but all went in vain. In toto, 17 serious attempts were made for wells drilling for oil and gas, but nothing was discovered.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/449719-experts-reject-claim-of-major-oil-gas-discovery

I bet you breathed a sigh of relief that it may not be true. All the enemies of PK are always on the same page.

Seems like you will be happy if no oil is found.

With 'Pakistanis' like these who needs enemies.

Lol at meaning for entire region. India shouldn't get a drop of it.

Lol. India isnt even interested in Pakistani oil. Lol. India didnt even participate in the IPI pipeline because of Pakistan.

You and your dreams.

If the oil / gas is indeed discovered ..it will drive the oil prices further downwards. Saudi/OPEC would put severe pressure on Pakistan to limit supplies into the world market. While it may make Pakistan energy independent in terms of domestic consumption, it may not amount to much given that the current supplies is already highly subsidized by the oil sheikhs.

It seems this forum is filled with people who have never studied economics or anything related to business. This discovery does not mean we are the next Saudis and will roll in oil money. This discovery can bring a manufacturing revolution which Pakistan so desperately needs due to its large population it will alllow us to have local petrochemical production which will drive the downstream SME sectors (plastic, packaging, paint, textiles etc)and create employment and exports for the country

If the oil / gas is indeed discovered ..it will drive the oil prices further downwards. Saudi/OPEC would put severe pressure on Pakistan to limit supplies into the world market. While it may make Pakistan energy independent in terms of domestic consumption, it may not amount to much given that the current supplies is already highly subsidized by the oil sheikhs.

Our foreign account deficit is $14-15billion a year our oil purchasing a year is also about the same. If we find enough oil and gas to meet our own requirements that alone would change our economy as

1. it would remove our need for foreign loans.
2. The ancillary industries that would grow will help our economy

As per latest reports we are still on the process of drilling so there is no way it can be ascertained what the reserves are

Quite surprised that Imran would be hinting at big oil finds without verification considering there has been 17 previous attempts to hit the oil jackpot which have all failed. I wonder if he is being advised correctly?

I bet you breathed a sigh of relief that it may not be true. All the enemies of PK are always on the same page.

Seems like you will be happy if no oil is found.

With 'Pakistanis' like these who needs enemies.

Yes it’s very disappointing.

Political disagreement is one thing but glee at news which maybe disappointing to Pakistan as a country is shameful.

Yes it’s very disappointing.

Political disagreement is one thing but glee at news which maybe disappointing to Pakistan as a country is shameful.

TBH I didnt expect it to be true but i was desperately hoping it would be true, whereas these losers have lost sleep at the thought that it might be true. All of the enemies of PK are always on the same page.

Are the measurements being mentioned correct? Think the deepest underwater oil well stands at 3kms. 5.5km is nearly twice of that

Quite surprised that Imran would be hinting at big oil finds without verification considering there has been 17 previous attempts to hit the oil jackpot which have all failed. I wonder if he is being advised correctly?

To be fair most of the previous attempts were prematurely aborted.

Talked to a few engineers from noble energy and marathon petroleum which did exploratory drilling in the 70s and 80s and as per them the exploration was called off more due to government intrusion and lack of support than conclusion that there was no potential for reservoirs being found

Honesty is always respected.

So let’s see if you can extend your respects to few more truths?

Truth is BJP has been hijacked by radicalized extremists Hindu nationalists, which you support.

Truth is, Modi used Indian army without the care of any life on both side of the border to attack Pakistan, which you supported.

Truth is, since Modi was elected there has been rise in crimes against minority by radicalized extremists Hindu nationalists, which you probably justify, if you didn’t then you wouldn’t be overlooking it and continue your support for Modi.

Truth is, Modi government has failed to isolate Pakistan, which was one of the primary mandate he ran his campaign in previous election.

Truth is, Indian army is guilty of indiscriminately killing innocents, raping, and denying the basic rights of Kashmiri.

Truth is, Indian government has always been involved in state sponsored terrorism in Pakistan.

Just because you put word Truth it doesnt become a fact. Seriously these statements are fantacies that will never come true.

Stay in dilusion and you will never get back up. Truth is pakistan is getting into mountain of debt because you are not ready to accept reality and make a concrete change.

[......]

However, DG Petroleum Concessions Qazi Saleem said the preliminary investment of $75-80 million for drilling endeavour was usually considered in the world of oil and gas as the sunk investment assuming the well emerges as dried one. The drilling activity is always a risky business which is why investment in drilling is named as sunk investment

[......]

Obviously there's many oil executives from numerous countries who all believe that there's black gold down there. They're not simply placing blind bets of $75 - $80 million at a time without there being indications from their analysts and engineers that initial research showed positive signs.

Once or twice maybe, but 17 times?

CPEC till now is producing very tangible results. If a miracle happens and we complete the Iran-Pakistan Gas pipeline, we will much better off than a decade ago. Load-shedding has decreased substiancially in the past 5 years.

Any update on drilling status? I know we are still 5 to 10 years away from seeing Oil after the find but I have a dream that this project can change the current landscape of India & Pakistan i.e. have power to make peace between two nation.

If Pakistan find the Oil & gas, it will be a huge opportunity for Pakistan to extend the hand by exporting Oil & Gas to India's huge demand. India by that will be in top 3 nation of consumption and can be a biggest importer of Pakistan's oil & gas.

I seriously feel that once the ice breaks between Indian and Pakistanis, we have potential to be the best neighbours in history. We have some much to connect with each other.

Ofcourse both side have to put religion on side when talk at the state level. Religion must be separated from state affairs.

Hope we see that day!

I hope not. India is a self-proclaimed super power so they should be able to pay full price :afridi

If money is the road block for the peace, not expensive to void the discount! But usually its business sense that your largest client will receive some kind of discount.

Omer Ayub visited the offshore site a couple of days ago so there must be something happening?

I am not too hopeful. If there was something big, it would have come out in official confirmed release a long time ago.

I am not too hopeful. If there was something big, it would have come out in official confirmed release a long time ago.

Had there been nothing, I think these top teams of field would have packed up and moved to next rig venture. May be there are signs that are keeping them to dig deeper.

It's still in process. We are hoping for the best.

Had there been nothing, I think these top teams of field would have packed up and moved to next rig venture. May be there are signs that are keeping them to dig deeper.

It's still in process. We are hoping for the best.

Well IK has already backed down from oil and gas reserves for the next 100 years to just gas reserves now for the next 50 years.

Initially these companies had plan to spend $75m but now they have already spent $90+ there must be some signs otherwise they can't just keep throwing the money in it.

Initially these companies had plan to spend $75m but now they have already spent $90+ there must be some signs otherwise they can't just keep throwing the money in it.

Was seeing a youtube video on how an offshore drilling takes place. Its a highly technical and expensive process involving highly advanced modern machinery, it takes a lot of time, effort to continue digging and you have to continously insert, take out pipes, put cement, concrete, pipes, repeat. They definatey would not be burning through that money and wasting all the time, energy, effort if there weren't positive signs

Has the nation of Pakistan answered the PM's call to offer 2 nafals daily for this news to materialize and exceed expectations.

Yes this is true. Our army has stake in every industry.

Be it real estate, Cereal, Television. Infact, few year ago they were also involved in the transport industry. They are also in medical.

Only industry they dont enter is the garbage industry.

The army does have a portfolio, they are even in the education industry aswell

Anyone knows what's Mangrio Well #01, in Tando Muhammad Khan, Sindh.

OGDC claiming to have discovered gas and condensate in Mangiro Well at 2700 meter and well has tested for 10.44 MMSCFD, 120 BPD and flowing pressure 2085 psi.

QUESTION from field experts, are these findings significant ? Will someone explain these terms ?

Meanwhile the world is moving away from fossil fuels. Oil can be a curse if the profits are siphoned away by corruption and greed. Cue Nigeria, dollar for dollar should be one of the richest countries in the world but alas.

Why some Geo/Jang journos and desi liberals celebrating this "no oil and gas found" news?

Why some Geo/Jang journos and desi liberals celebrating this "no oil and gas found" news?

Are you surprised that they are celebrating? These crooks realised that had if PK becomes economically​ developed​ their family businesses wouldn't finish forever.

Are you surprised that they are celebrating? These crooks realised that had if PK becomes economically​ developed​ their family businesses wouldn't finish forever.

It's so sad to see some of them celebrating this moment :facepalm:

Kekra-1 well in deep sea: Hopes fade as no oil, gas reservoir found; drilling halted

KARACHI: Special Assistant to Prime Minister Imran Khan on Petroleum Nadeem Babar has said that drilling at Kekra-1 well in deep sea near Karachi has been stopped after no oil or gas reservoir could be found.

KARACHI: Special Assistant to Prime Minister Imran Khan on Petroleum Nadeem Babar has said that drilling at Kekra-1 well in deep sea near Karachi has been stopped after no gas and oil reservoirs could be found.

Talking to Geo News here Saturday, Nadeem Babar said after reaching at the depth of 5,500 metres in deep sea at Kekra-1 in G-bloc, ENI, the operator, the drilling was stopped after gas and oil reservoirs could not be found there.

He said Director General Petroleum Concessions office has been apprised about the testing results.

Two days back, talking to The News, Nadeem Babar had said after reaching the required depth of 5,474 metres in deep sea at Kekra-1 in G-bloc, ENI, the operator, still needs to go 150 metres more deeper and it will take two days more.

After that there will be testing process to know what the reservoir factually has, either gas or oil or both and at what quantum. It will take at least one week more.

After going down 150 metres more, the Drill Stem Test (DST) is to start that will provide the information or data telling what exactly lies in the reservoir. The DST by definition is a temporary completion of a well bore that provides information on whether or not to complete the well. The zone in question is sealed off from the rest of the well bore by packers and the formations’ pressure and fluids are measured.

The joint venture headed by ENI as operator comprising Exxon Mobile, OGDCL and PPL started the drilling on January 13, 2019 at the cost of sunk money of $75 million which has increased to over $100 million so far.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/473016-kekra-1-well-in-deep-sea-no-reservoir-found-drilling-halted

At least we won't become the next Iran. We all know how mad the West can get when they don't have their way with oil rich countries.

It was daft of the government to say stuff prematurely. This is longshot stuff.
As usual twitter is dominated by discussion on the wisdom of premature celebrations rather than whether this is money well spent or otherwise

Back