No oil, gas reserves found at Kekra-1: Petroleum Division [Update Post #237]

Would this also justify Amir's decision to spot fix? Pakistan's cricketers get paid much less than their International counterparts.

It could. You give a poor village kid a life changing amount for a couple of no-balls - how strong is his resolve going to be? I certainly cannot say that if I were him, I would have refused. However, the corruption of cricketers is less justified than the corruption of public officers in Pakistan.

Although the cricketers get paid less than their international counterparts, they still earn enough money to live like kings in Pakistan thanks to their base salary, match fees, sponsors, adverts as well as franchise cricket. The likes of Hasan, Faheem and Shadab are already driving cars that public officers cannot afford after 20 years of service.

It could. You give a poor village kid a life changing amount for a couple of no-balls - how strong is his resolve going to be? I certainly cannot say that if I were him, I would have refused. However, the corruption of cricketers is less justified than the corruption of public officers in Pakistan.

Although the cricketers get paid less than their international counterparts, they still earn enough money to live like kings in Pakistan thanks to their base salary, match fees, sponsors, adverts as well as franchise cricket. The likes of Hasan, Faheem and Shadab are already driving cars that public officers cannot afford after 20 years of service.

Yes but the moment a Pakistani Cricketer gets dropped from the national team, the money will stop especially if he is not a magnet for the T-20 leagues. You have to remember players have a 10-12 year earning life. They should ideally be making the most of the money they make so that they can smart investments in business, investment ventures which will make them set for life. I believe that this is what our players do.

I work as much as I am supposed to, i.e. my designated working hours. Why should I work overtime when I am not getting paid extra?

It doesn't matter whether you expected a strong reply - I am not going to sit here and make tall claims that if I have the chance to do corruption, I will be strong enough to say no. Most of us are not so strong or honourable.

Perhaps you are, but unless you can prove that you have worked in public service and didn't do corruption when you had the chance to do so, your anti-corruption stance and morality means nothing. It is easy to talk when you are not in a position of power.

You can fool the foreign Pakistanis that you are working according to your oath but not me who never stepped outside the country and have a loads of experience of sarkari mulazims.
Tell me where is your posting in OPD, Emergency or in a ward of specific disease/organ?

& wait what you have said, working over time or extra hours. Bhai even working a full day (9 hours) is a death of sarkari mulazim and you are talking about extra hours.

For my part listen my first job was of a cashier in kolson foods where I could have make the equal amount of my monthly salary in just 5 days & still today I am doing an online merchant payment job where I used to run almost of $ hundred thousand transactions daily so saying this that there is no chance of corruption in private sector is a myth.

Yes but you are paid to work not post.

I do my duty, but whether I post on here or do something else when I have the time is no one else's business. I am not sure why am I even entertaining this discussion.

Here, here guys. Pls avoid getting personal with anyone.

I am equally perplexed to read justifications for bribery/corruption. However, no one has the right to judge how much a fellow poster works in his day when you don’t even know him personally.

You can fool the foreign Pakistanis that you are working according to your oath but not me who never stepped outside the country and have a loads of experience of sarkari mulazims.
Tell me where is your posting in OPD, Emergency or in a ward of specific disease/organ?

& wait what you have said, working over time or extra hours. Bhai even working a full day (9 hours) is a death of sarkari mulazim and you are talking about extra hours.

For my part listen my first job was of a cashier in kolson foods where I could have make the equal amount of my monthly salary in just 5 days & still today I am doing an online merchant payment job where I used to run almost of $ hundred thousand transactions daily so saying this that there is no chance of corruption in private sector is a myth.

I am not here to answer private questions. If you have been in a position when you have had the opportunity to do corruption but you refused, I respect and admire your resolve. However, you are 1 in 100. Most of us are not so strong, and people who haven't been in a position to do corruption have no credibility when it comes to their anti-corruption stance.

I am not here to answer private questions. If you have been in a position when you have had the opportunity to do corruption but you refused, I respect and admire your resolve. However, you are 1 in 100. Most of us are not so strong, and people who haven't been in a position to do corruption have no credibility when it comes to their anti-corruption stance.

No Mamoon he is not just 1 out of 100 there are many and i know more thn a few who worked in Govt and never touched haram they lived a happy life in whatever salary they had and also made sure their kids got good education.

why you guys making it about AZ and NS?

for once owe up to your mistakes. Even in this you are bringing in those guys/

Imran made a claim that he was oil that will be found sooner or later and he will announce it. Turns out the PM lied.

This happens when you give out premature statements jsut to make the fan club go crazy.....

I can understand that English isn’t strong suit at Bahria but PM asked to pray for reserves and didn’t announce it

I do my duty, but whether I post on here or do something else when I have the time is no one else's business. I am not sure why am I even entertaining this discussion.

How can you do your duty? Unless the duty involves sitting in your phone and posting on forums. Your are stealing from the poor of PK by getting paid for work you don't do. Have some pride man and do your job or leave.

No Mamoon he is not just 1 out of 100 there are many and i know more thn a few who worked in Govt and never touched haram they lived a happy life in whatever salary they had and also made sure their kids got good education.

May Allah bless those and their honesty and dedication. Unlike some on here who don't even do the work they are supposed to but at carp at others. No wonder Corruption is not an issue for these losers.

I can understand that English isn’t strong suit at Bahria but PM asked to pray for reserves and didn’t announce it

PM himself said that wait for good news next week. He was clearly referring to the fact that we will be discovering Oil.

My dad was one of them.

The guy worked an honest living. Infact, when people would send gifts to our house or even give any food, he would refuse and give it back straight away. Because he knew such gesture only meant others trying to get some work out of you for there own benefit.
People do corruption in very cunning ways. They often try to act nice with you and make you feel guilty if you don't repay the niceness. One has to act as an a*ss to be corruption free.

A govt servant's signature holds alot of value and one could do any kind of corruption he wants with it. I know people who have done so and act very religious in public.

But to say they lived a happy life thats an under statement. Zardari helped out the govt servants alot when he came in and increased the salaries, because back in the day, the salaries were quite low

Last edited:
PM himself said that wait for good news next week. He was clearly referring to the fact that we will be discovering Oil.

No he said pray that hopefully we get good news... you might want to go back and read again.

Either you are acting ill informed or you are

In either case you’re wrong

So what next now? Do we have any other natural reserves which we can unleash?

I am just upset that the whole nation was given a false hope.

So no oil?

Pak need to get some geologist next to thw iran border, Bolochistan. We know there is large amount of untapped resources their..

Maybe pak should produce more geologist..

Much of the world has been scoured with a fine toothed comb for fossil fuels. Pakistan is no exception.

If any reserves of anything are found in 2019, they are either scarce, inaccessible, or astronomically expensive to produce the end result.

Much of the world has been scoured with a fine toothed comb for fossil fuels. Pakistan is no exception.

If any reserves of anything are found in 2019, they are either scarce, inaccessible, or astronomically expensive to produce the end result.

You couldn't be more wrong.

You couldn't be more wrong.

You need to elaborate on your post in the context of oil / gas reserves to give it more weight.

Don't bring up fracking, as that is covered under the "astronomically expensive" bracket.

We’ve been seeing articles like these for decades.

The breakeven price for oil has also gone down in the meanwhile.

Texas Tea ain’t going nowhere

While the breakeven price of oil may be falling, the price of solar cells has fallen by more than 99.5% over the last 4 decades.

800px-Price_history_of_silicon_PV_cells_since_1977.svg.jpg

Prospects cannot be bright for an industry whose alternative's price has fallen by more than 99.5%.

Last edited:
While the breakeven price of oil may be falling, the price of solar cells has fallen by more than 99.5% over the last 4 decades.

View attachment 94497

Prospects cannot be bright for an industry whose alternative's price has fallen by more than 99.5%.

Electric cars need a significant infrastructure which is barely available in developed economies let alone the developing world, including India, which will not have mass boom in that infrastructure any time soon.

In the US every year more and more power plants are moving to natural gas from coal (natural gas and crude oil go together esp in US, where both are produced together).

Finally beyond vehicle fuel, crude is used in many many other things like plastics.

We've been hearing doom and gloom about the industry for many years but it wont happen because it is primarily from largely ignorant people who thing crude oil goes to vehicle tanks...

Electric cars need a significant infrastructure which is barely available in developed economies let alone the developing world, including India, which will not have mass boom in that infrastructure any time soon.

In the US every year more and more power plants are moving to natural gas from coal (natural gas and crude oil go together esp in US, where both are produced together).

Finally beyond vehicle fuel, crude is used in many many other things like plastics.

We've been hearing doom and gloom about the industry for many years but it wont happen because it is primarily from largely ignorant people who thing crude oil goes to vehicle tanks...

Transportation is still the most important use of oil.

U.S. transportation fuel consumption accounts for over 70 percent of total U.S. oil consumption, and more than 65 percent of that amount is for personal vehicles.
http://www.americanenergyindependence.com/fuels.aspx

It is true that infrastructure is required to move to oil to solar. So the time taken for the switch depends upon the competence of the major oil importing countries.

Last edited:
Mari Petroleum Company Limited (MARI) has discovered gas reserves at Shewa-2 well, located in North Waziristan district Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

“We are pleased to inform that Mari Petroleum Company Limited (MARI) has made a gas discovery at Shewa-2 appraisal-cum-exploratory well (in Waziristan block), located in North Waziristan district, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province,” the company said in its notice to the Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX).

The company shared that the well was successfully drilled down to 4,577 meters on November 01, 2023, to appraise the Lockhart and Hangu formations, which were previously discovered at exploratory well Shewa1, as well as test the hydrocarbon potential of the well’s exploratory targets i.e. Samanasuk and Kawagarh formations.

“During the Drill Stem Test (DST) carried out in the Kawagarh formation (exploratory target), gas flowed at a sustainable rate of 0.607 million standard cubic feet per day (MMSCFD) at wellhead flowing pressure (WHFP) of 97 pounds per square inch (Psi) at 32/64-inch choke size,” added the company.

MARI said that the discovery in Kawagarh formation is in addition to the previously discovered hydrocarbon-bearing reservoirs i.e. Lockhart and Hangu in exploratory well Shewa-1.

“The appraisal of the Lockhart and Hangu Formations has confirmed the extension of hydrocarbon play in these formations. The Hungu formation was tested at a gas flow rate of 0.274 MMSCFD at WHFP of 77 Psi at 32/64-inch choke size.

“Further, the Lockhart formation in Shewa-2 well was tested (post-acid) at a gas flow rate of 51 MMSCFD and 391 barrels of condensate per day at WHFP of 5,972 Psi at 38/64-inch choke size,” it added.

Last month, MARI successfully drilled and tested a horizontal well in District Daharki, Sindh.

Source : Dawn News

Pakistan strikes oil and gas gold in Attock

In a major breakthrough for Pakistan’s energy sector, a major oil and gas deposit has been unearthed in the city of Attock.

Pakistan Oilfields Limited (POL) announced today that its exploratory well in the Ikhlas block has yielded promising results.

The newly discovered well is currently producing a substantial 714 barrels of crude oil and 10 million standard cubic feet of gas per day.

This is a remarkable achievement that has the potential to bolster Pakistan's energy independence and economic growth.

I
Pakistan strikes oil and gas gold in Attock

In a major breakthrough for Pakistan’s energy sector, a major oil and gas deposit has been unearthed in the city of Attock.

Pakistan Oilfields Limited (POL) announced today that its exploratory well in the Ikhlas block has yielded promising results.

The newly discovered well is currently producing a substantial 714 barrels of crude oil and 10 million standard cubic feet of gas per day.

This is a remarkable achievement that has the potential to bolster Pakistan's energy independence and economic growth.

While good to see this is hardly anything monumental as the article suggests. It won’t make a dent towards energy independence, the person writing the article is pumping this up like we struck a massive oil field.

Pakistan has been finding such reserves but the benefit never reached the citizen by any means.

New gas reserves discovered in Balochistan

In a significant development, Mari Petroleum Company has successfully found new gas reserves from five wells in Balochistan.

The company has completed the testing, production, and transmission of an additional 3 million metric standard cubic feet per day (MMSCFD) of gas.

This development was announced following the submission of detailed reports to the Pakistan Stock Exchange.

According to Mari Petroleum, the natural gas extracted from the Ghazij Gas Field is now being supplied to Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL).

On July 1, Mari Petroleum Company announced the discovery of new gas reserves in Sindh

The petroleum company penned a letter to the Pakistan Stock Exchange informing the discovery of the gas reserve in Sindh.

In the letter, the company asserted that a 1,006-meter well was drilled in the Ghazij Formation, where preliminary tests have indicated gas reserves of 5 million standard cubic feet per day from the well.

ARY News

University Student Finds Oil Reserves in KP

A University of Punjab MPhil student has discovered oil reservoirs in thousand-year-old limestone mountains in the Kohistan salt range.

Noman Zeb, from PU’s geology department and supervised by Dr. Shahid Ghazi, identified significant oil reservoirs in the Khajar, Taral, Badshahpur, Kroli, and Sarhi areas, according to Daily Naibaat. These reservoirs are located within limestone sediments.

Noman Zeb noted that his study also revealed similar mountain ranges in the Potohar Range. He emphasized that a substantial quantity of oil can be extracted from these areas under government supervision. Utilizing these reservoirs could help reduce the power shortage affecting the country.

Major oil, gas reserves discovered in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

In a major development for Pakistan's national economy, significant oil and gas deposits have been discovered in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

The discovery was made at the Razgir 1 exploratory well located in the Tal Block by Pakistan Oilfields Limited (POL). The well is expected to yield 250 barrels of crude oil and 20 million cubic meters of standard cubic gas per day.

Drilling at the Razgir 1 well commenced in January of this year, and the successful discovery marks a notable milestone in the country's energy sector. The well, a joint venture among POL, Oil & Gas Development Company (OGDC) and Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL), represents a substantial addition to Pakistan's oil and gas reserves.

In a communication to the Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX), Pakistan Oilfields Limited formally announced the discovery, underscoring its potential impact on the national economy. The find is anticipated to bolster Pakistan's energy sector, reduce dependency on imported energy, and enhance the country's economic stability.

On July 15, in a major breakthrough for Pakistan’s energy sector, a major oil and gas deposit was unearthed in Attock. The Pakistan Oilfields Limited (POL) announced that its exploratory well in the Ikhlas block yielded promising results.

The newly discovered well was producing a substantial 714 barrels of crude oil and 10 million standard cubic feet of gas per day.

Drilling operations for this promising well commenced in October 2023 and reached an impressive depth of 17,778 meters.

Samaa TV

Pakistan’s oil & gas companies announce significant hydrocarbon find in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

Pakistan’s Exploration and Production (E&P) companies, Pakistan Oilfields Ltd (POL), Oil & Gas Development Company Ltd (OGDC), and Pakistan Petroleum Ltd (PPL), have all announced further testing results from the newly discovered Razgir-1 exploratory well in the Kawagarh formation, located in the Kohat district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

The listed companies shared the development in their respective notices to the Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) on Tuesday.

“We are pleased to announce the discovery of gas condensate from Kawagarh-1 formation in Razgir-1 exploratory well, located in district Kohat, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa,” said OGDC in its notice.

Another oil and gas discovery made in KP

Pakistan has discovered new deposits of oil and gas in Kohat district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.

MOL Pakistan, a fully owned subsidiary of Hungarian multinational oil and gas exploration firm MOL Group that has about 8.4 per cent share in the Tal Block, shared the news.

The TAL Joint Venture, comprising MOL Pakistan Oil & Gas Co. B.V. (Operator), Oil & Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL), Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL), Pakistan Oilfields Limited (POL) and Government Holdings Private Limited (GHPL) has announced the discovery of gas condensate in the Razgir-1 exploratory well, located in Kohat district.

The well, which was spudded on January 9, 2024, has been successfully drilled to a total depth of 3,773.98 meters. According to the joint venture, the well has shown a production rate of approximately 17.9 million standard cubic feet per day (MMSCFD) of gas and 153 barrels per day (BPD) of condensate, with a choke size of 40/64 inches and a wellhead flowing pressure (WHFP) of 2,017 pounds per square inch (PSI).

This new discovery de-risks further exploration in the TAL Block, creating new opportunities for development.

The joint venture believes this discovery will contribute to improving Pakistan’s energy security by increasing the hydrocarbon reserves of the country, as well as those of MOL and its partners.

SOURCE: https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/1220752-another-oil-and-gas-discovery-made-in-kp

Pakistan Oilfields announces significant hydrocarbon find in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

Pakistan Oilfields Limited (POL), an oil and gas exploration company, announced further testing results from the newly discovered Razgir-1 exploratory well in the Lockhart formation, located in the Kohat district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

The listed company, which is a subsidiary of Attock Oil Company Limited, UK, and its ultimate parent is Coral Holding Limited, shared the development in its notice to the Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) on Monday.

“This is in continuation of our previous letters dated July 29, 2024 and August 06, 2024 where we shared the testing results of the Lumshiwal and Kawagarh formations at the Razgir-1 well. We are now pleased to inform you about the testing results of another formation, ‘Lockhart’ from the same well.

“As per information received from MOL, (the operator of TAL Block), hydrocarbons have been discovered as a result of Drill Stem Test (DST) conducted at the Razgir-1 well to assess the potential of Lockhart formation,” POL said in its notice.

The TAL joint venture comprises of OGDCL (30% working interest), MOL Pakistan Oil & Gas Co. B.V. (the Operator) (10%), PPL (30%), POL (25%), and Government Holdings Private Limited (GHPL) (5%).

It is pertinent to mention that MOL Group is a multinational oil and gas company headquartered in Budapest, Hungary.

Third oil and gas reservoir discovered in a month

The third oil and gas reservoir has been discovered in the Razgir-I Formation of the Kohat Tal Block, marking the third such find in just a month.

The newly discovered well is expected to produce 153 barrels of crude oil and 17.9 million cubic feet of gas per day, further boosting the country’s energy output.

With this latest discovery, the combined production from the three wells in the Razgir-I Formation has reached 562 barrels of crude oil per day and 54.3 million cubic feet of gas per day.

The discovery comes as a joint effort of Pakistan Oilfields Limited (POL), Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL), Oil & Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL), and Pak-Arab Refinery Limited (PHL), all of which jointly own the wells. The companies have informed the Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) about this important development, signalling a positive impact on the energy sector and potentially the economy.

Meanwhile, over the past 10 years, Pakistan’s oil and gas production has witnessed a significant decline instead of the anticipated growth, a situation attributed to political instability, security concerns, and a persistent lack of investment in exploration and development.

Due to the reasons mentioned above, large reserves have not been discovered over the last decade.

According to data provided by the Pakistan Petroleum Information Service (PPIS), the country’s crude oil production has fallen drastically since 2015. Back then, the daily production stood at 94,500 barrels. However, by 2024, it had decreased to just 70,500 barrels per day. This shows a staggering decline in petrol production of 24,000 barrels per day over the last decade.

The gas sector has suffered a similar fate, with a reduction of 900 million standard cubic feet per day (mmscfd) over the same period. By fiscal year 2024, Pakistan’s gas production had decreased by 4.4%, leaving the country producing 3,116 million cubic feet of gas daily.

Samaa TV

Pakistan’s oil reserves surge 26% as OGDC and MARI report significant upgrades

Pakistan’s oil and gas sector has received a substantial boost, with the country’s total oil reserves increasing by 26% to 243 million barrels as of June 2024, according to the latest data released by the Pakistan Petroleum Information Service (PPIS).

According to IMS Research, this significant rise is largely driven by notable reserve upgrades in key energy companies, particularly Oil and Gas Development Company (OGDC) and Mari Petroleum Company Ltd (MARI).

OGDC reported a 64% increase in its oil reserves, driven by major upgrades in key assets like Kunar and Pasakhi/Pasakhi North, which saw their reserves rise to 10.6 million barrels and 15.15 million barrels, respectively. Despite these gains, OGDC experienced a 30% decline in the oil reserves of its Nashpa field and an 8% reduction in its overall gas reserves due to natural declines in mature fields.

Meanwhile, MARI’s oil reserves have doubled since December 2023, reaching 13.4 million barrels, bolstered by the addition of reserves from the Bannu West (Shewa) field and the Bolan East reserve upgrade. MARI also saw a significant 25% increase in its gas reserves, with the Mari Ghazij field’s reserves surging from 35 billion cubic feet (bcf) to 789 bcf.

Back