Official Pakistan vs India 1st test - Day 4 thread [16/1/06]

Mercenary

Senior ODI Player
Runs
There are only 3 things standing standing in the way of a Pakistani victory. The weather, the pitch and 20 Indian wickets.

For all intents and purposes day 4 will decide whether there is any chance of a victory on day 5 or whether this match will fizzle out to a draw.

If Pakistan fail to make significant inroads on day 4 then taking 16-20 wickets on day 5 will be near impossible. Even the glory days of Wasim, Waqar, young Akhtar and Saqlain would have struggled to get that on this pitch!!

So lets hope the weather holds up for another two days and Pakistan pulls off another of those unbelievable victories which make us such an exciting team!!

On the positive side both Afridi and Kaneria have only bowled two overs and the ball hasnt really gotten that old yet!

According to the commentators this pitch is more receptive to off spin than leg spin.

Will Malik hold the key to any potential collapse?

Malik has played 3 tests at the Gadaffi Stadium and his record is better by far than his career record. 7 of his 12 test wickets have come at this ground and all in the first innings too..

12 Ms -- 12 wkts @ 52.50 avg -- 95.0 SR -- 3.3 Eco ----> Career
03 Ms --- 7 wkts @ 30.85 avg -- 54.0 SR -- 3.4 Eco ----> Gadaffi Stadium

if you seperate Malik's first innings bowling stats at the Gadaffi stadium then...

3 Ms -- 7 wkts @ 22.14 avg -- 38.5 SR -- 3.4 Eco ---> 1st inns @ Gadaffi

The sample is too small but 3 of those wickets came in the England test at Lahore where England were cruising along at 100/0 when Malik took 3 quick wickets to make them 115/3 after which the other bowlers stepped in to make it 288 all out!

That was another so called flat pitch because Pakistan made 636 runs, never mind the fact that England lost by an innings!

Lets hope the sun is shining over the next two days.

All this while I have followed Pakistan cricket and they produce stunning displays out of the blue. That is why I love watching them play.That will be my motive to follow the match tonite,inspite of having early office tomorrow.
Pakistan might not do it, but I expect them to do it..

for those that are in PK .. if u are awake .. how is the weather ? put on that weather channel and give us the updates please .. will play start on time ? any sun ? lets pray for SUN .. (as opposed to Rain like back in the days)

DotCom said:
for those that are in PK .. if u are awake .. how is the weather ? put on that weather channel and give us the updates please .. will play start on time ? any sun ? lets pray for SUN .. (as opposed to Rain like back in the days)
was on msn with a mate n he says it was heavy rain a couple of hours ago.........dont know the absolute latest though

What we do know is that this Pakistan team will fight to the end.

It may be asking too much to take 20 Indian wickets on this flat pitch, but you never know with Pakistan. They have pulled off some memorable victories over the last few months.

I am most impressed by their team spirit and unity. InshAllah the boys will pull it off.

Am wondering, if play starts weather permitting, will our bowlers give their all, given that match is heading towards a draw and wicket is offering no assistance?

the play will not start on time its was drizzling a lot lost night ad the ground drainage is not good in Pakistan. I will be surprised if we even get 15 overs of play today

The weather is from Lahore airport and based on US EST
Conditions at Jan 15, 2006 Wind from the E (090 degrees) at 8 MPH (7 KT)
Visibility 2 mile(s)
Sky conditions overcast
Weather Drizzle
Temperature 57 F (14 C)
Dew Point 48 F (9 C)
Relative Humidity 71%
Pressure (altimeter) 29.85 in. Hg (1011 hPa)
ob OPLA 160100Z 09007KT 4000 DZ BKN040 OVC100 14/09 Q1011 NOSIG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

24 Hour Summary
Time
EST (UTC) Temperature
F (C) Dew Point
F (C) Pressure
Inches (hPa) Wind
MPH Weather
Latest 8 PM (1) Jan 15 57 (14) 48 (9) 29.85 (1011) E 8 drizzle
7 PM (0) Jan 15 57 (14) 48 (9) 29.85 (1011) E 6 drizzle
6 PM (23) Jan 15 57 (14) 48 (9) 29.85 (1011) ENE 6 drizzle
5 PM (22) Jan 15 57 (14) 46 (8) 29.85 (1011) E 9 smoke
4 PM (21) Jan 15 57 (14) 48 (9) 29.88 (1012) ENE 7 drizzle
3 PM (20) Jan 15 57 (14) 48 (9) 29.88 (1012) E 6 smoke
2 PM (19) Jan 15 ENE 6 drizzle during the past hour
1 PM (18) Jan 15 57 (14) 48 (9) 29.88 (1012) ENE 5 drizzle
Noon (17) Jan 15 57 (14) 48 (9) 29.88 (1012) ESE 7 drizzle
11 AM (16) Jan 15 59 (15) 50 (10) 29.88 (1012) SE 8 rain
10 AM (15) Jan 15 57 (14) 51 (11) 29.88 (1012) ENE 7 rain
9 AM (14) Jan 15 59 (15) 50 (10) 29.85 (1011) E 7 rain
8 AM (13) Jan 15 59 (15) 50 (10) 29.85 (1011) E 10 drizzle
7 AM (12) Jan 15 60 (16) 51 (11) 29.88 (1012) E 8 drizzle
6 AM (11) Jan 15 60 (16) 51 (11) 29.88 (1012) ENE 6 smoke
5 AM (10) Jan 15 62 (17) 50 (10) 29.88 (1012) E 8 smoke
4 AM (9) Jan 15 62 (17) 50 (10) 29.88 (1012) ENE 8 smoke

i was watching yestdys highlights,pak din look like a team defending 679...seamed they had already given up....!

jusarrived said:
i was watching yestdys highlights,pak din look like a team defending 679...seamed they had already given up....!

was it the field placing that suggested that?

jusarrived said:

how many overs did you get to watch in the highlights.
There were 15 overs in the day. :))) :))) :)))

nafajafam said:
was it the field placing that suggested that?

Not really!it was the expression on players faces...surprising to see hardly any encouragement for bowlers frm akmal,who is normally vry vocal....!

cavin420 said:
amazing how such petty things can make our counterparts so happy....but still i have 1 question for u ? did anyone hit 4 consecutive 6,s yesterday??? ????;)

who said that makes me happy?....am just hoping your bowlers havnt lost all their confidence n pak can give us some fight..i hate to see innings defeats :D

jusarrived said:
who said that makes me happy?....am just hoping your bowlers havnt lost all their confidence n pak can give us some fight..i hate to see innings defeats :D
a defeat is a defeat whether by an innings or by 1 run.........so take ma advice n stop kidding ur self.......as ur host we wont be that brutal towards u.....surely we would take it a bit eazy on u!!!!(if the weather stays like this then an innings defeat to india is out of the window anyway!!!!

May I please ask Cavin and Jusarrived to cease their childish bickering. I think people have grown tired of it. All yesterday you two were arguing about petty things and again today you are doing the same. Let's talk about the match objectively instead of meaningless arguments.

PS: I have no problem with healthy discussion, disagreements or even arguments, but this one has been exhausted of all resources and there's no point to keep bickering.

jusarrived said:

8 out of the last 10 ODI. :))) :))) :))) :)))
India should be giving a fight.
Even without average confidence in Pakistan bowling camp, you will see Indian great bastmen struggle.

Not true I heard alot of "ShABASH RANNA SHABASH" and "BOWWWWWLINGGGGG" from our WK. Everyone was on their toes and excited on field.

I don't know which game you were watching.

kablooee87 said:
May I please ask Cavin and Jusarrived to cease their childish bickering. I think people have grown tired of it. All yesterday you two were arguing about petty things and again today you are doing the same. Let's talk about the match objectively instead of meaningless arguments.

PS: I have no problem with healthy discussion, disagreements or even arguments, but this one has been exhausted of all resources and there's no point to keep bickering.

if you check mine was a serious assesment!

jusarrived said:
if you check mine was a serious assesment!

What that the pakistani's looked demoralised? How can anyone make that judgement from 15 overs? The fact of the matter is that we have no seen enough meaningful cricket in the last few days to make any real 'serious' assesments.'

kablooee87 said:

there needs to be some play in order for that too happen!>> Let's talk about the match objectively instead of meaningless arguments.>>>> n btw i can see u jumping in on the act ur self>>>>>>>>What that the pakistani's looked demoralised? How can anyone make that judgement from 15 overs? The fact of the matter is that we have no seen enough meaningful cricket in the last few days to make any real 'serious' assesments>>

im sorry if u felt left outside...u could have jumped in anytime no need to ask for our permission!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, this is the official commentary thread. If you have no contructive thoughts to post, please stay off it. This constant childish bickering is not the standards set at PP. Please give it some thought!!

kablooee87 said:
What that the pakistani's looked demoralised? How can anyone make that judgement from 15 overs? The fact of the matter is that we have no seen enough meaningful cricket in the last few days to make any real 'serious' assesments.'

Don be surprised if akthar is not available for next test....i can see him fakin an injury..he seams to loose all his confidence wen he plays aginst india..this i turn effects the whole team...me thinks pak is better off without akthar atleast against india..cos they seam to perform well as underdogs.if we get som cricket tody..u will understand wat am saying...!

the coverage is back on we are live now........will be able to tell u in a bit about the condition inzi

cavin420 said:
the coverage is back on we are live now........will be able to tell u in a bit about the condition inzi

thanks bhai log. All I want is some cricket. No matter who plays how.
Oh God get us some cricket.

ppl are working hard on the ground right now...covers are still on.......so start doesnt look thats its gonne be on time!!!

cavin420 said:
ppl are working hard on the ground right now...covers are still on.......so start doesnt look thats its gonne be on time!!!
There is an hour for the start. Is it drizzling?

micheal holding n deano with the weather update..........they blv another frustrating day thats what they reckon..........its overcast.........but one ray of hope the winds blowing today which was missing yesterday that might blow all the clouds away thus helping the sun to break through!

yo cavin...you got more posts in a day then i manage in a year man! i could see the prescription on your glasses goin down a few notches very quickly...a little self restraint my man

Tupac said:
yo cavin...you got more posts in a day then i manage in a year man! i could see the prescription on your glasses goin down a few notches very quickly...a little self restraint my man
i dont wear any glasses thank God for that!!!! well someone has to do the job i guess!!thanko for the concern though i appriciate it!

imran khan still blvz the weather has helped paksitan now ...its given them the freedom soon as they get to play they can go at it with all gunz blazing since india loose 1 wicket their should be tormendous pressure on india........paksitan cant loose this one......either a draw or an indian defeat!...i agree but hopefully if weather permits!

if we are lucky we shud get abt 100 ovrs of cricket n 2 days...am sure no result..at least a good build up for 2nd test!

gud news peeps......possibility of play starting on time.......covers being taken off!

cavin420 said:
gud news peeps......possibility of play starting on time.......covers being taken off!

Thanks 420, hopefully we can take some early wickets.

Aurangzeb said:
is it raining there?
no rain now but the rain overnight n earlier in the morning has done the damage light seems to be improving now...but its the water on the ground they are clearing up .....

cavin420 said:
no rain now but the rain overnight n earlier in the morning has done the damage light seems to be improving now...but its the water on the ground they are clearing up .....
whats the news from lahor

dean jones will be talking to shoaib akhtar will bring u the interview live n exclusive only here on pp :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Guys Pakistan needed the rain, so even though the match might be short but I would rather have the rain

cavin420 said:
cheers mate!..so how does it feel to be a star now ehh??? btw dean jones will be talking to shoaib akhtar will bring u the interview live n exclusive only here on pp :p

Thanks mate!!

deano to shoaib akhtar , about his shoes looking his boad..his size is 9 uk.....gets em specially made from birmingham.....but now he thinks the shoes are cauing him probs......(what would u expect made in england)..........n he says he doesnt run too fast nor to slow otherwise if he runs fast he may do his hamstring...(i was wondering since when he started used to run in alot quicker.......).....inside his boot are special heels....has more cushon...(what a dull topic deano :p but has has 12 spikes.........wears 3 socks :O.......average shoes cost him £500!!!!!!!!!! for one pair :O:O

cavin420 said:
deano to shoaib akhtar , about his shoes looking his boad..his size is 9 uk.....gets em specially made from birmingham.....but now he thinks the shoes are cauing him probs......(what would u expect made in england)..........n he says he doesnt run too fast nor to slow otherwise if he runs fast he may do his hamstring...(i was wondering since when he started used to run in alot quicker.......).....inside his boot are special heels....has more cushon...(what a dull topic deano :p but has has 12 spikes.........wears 3 socks :O.......average shoes cost him £500!!!!!!!!!! for one pair :O:O

He can afford it! :p

shoaib is no tthe fist one to use these shoes. It was wiqi who started wearing these shoes and introduced teh prototype to shoaib.

octavian said:
shoaib is no tthe fist one to use these shoes. It was wiqi who started wearing these shoes and introduced teh prototype to shoaib.
he mentioned that it was the same guy who made em for waqar n allan donald as well now pindi is the 3rd one!

cavin420 said:
he carries 4 new boots at all time :O he must be loaded!!

When you're yearly income is around 300,000 dollars or pounds is it surprising?

Raz said:
When you're yearly income is around 300,000 dollars or pounds is it surprising?
i never knew it would be that much...cricketers are picking up oo yeah he does play country cricket as well ....been playing from sometime.........man i wish i was either on footballers wages or wouldnt mind a cricketers even :D

Plus shooby is flat footed also so more comfort for his feets..Wadday expect when guys bangs his feet on the ground after follow thru he needs all the comfort in the world.

Thank god he doesnt go to the prayers wearin those otherwise trhe guy u streals them would be loaded :p

live in lahore again with rameez...news not gr8 umpires checked and said will come back at 10.15 now.........deano says lights improving!

deano says the lights gud enuff if it had been anyother form of game........since its an international game thats why they are reluctant to start...he says both me n rameez would agree we have played so many times in the similar conditions............

The_Cricket_Devil said:
i bet shoaib doesnt have to pay 1penny out of his own pocket he just gets pcb to do it form him :D
or it might even be a sponsorship who pays really..he is a big name in world cricket......

The_Cricket_Devil said:
i bet shoaib doesnt have to pay 1penny out of his own pocket he just gets pcb to do it form him :D
You are correct sir.

nasser hussain says the same sort of conditions are in manchestor n birmingham........if they applied the same rules then u wouldnt get a single bowl being bowled !!!!

cavin420 said:
or it might even be a sponsorship who pays really..he is a big name in world cricket......

cant see an international cricketer shelling out mony frm his pocket to buy shoes...its obviously sponsored!

Whats the news of the inspection, if there has been one?

deano with sehwag.......he says he can get 200 in one days coz they have gud bowlers n the ball comes on the bat !!!!!!! thats confidence peeeps

Still trying to grasp the wisdom of a series set in January - starting in Lahore. Lahore winters (i.e. the fog etc) are famous this should not have been a surprise to the PCB. I guess what one forgets is the Indian Cricket Board's input into the schedule. The Indians probably did not want to play the first test in Karachi. Anyway a pure logistical and scheduling disaster.

Last edited:
cavin420 said:
deano with sehwag.......he says he can get 200 in one days coz they have gud bowlers n the ball comes on the bat !!!!!!! thats confidence peeeps

and we all remember wat happened to sehwag last time he said he would get 200's

Pace said:
Still trying to grasp the wisdom of a series set in January - starting in Lahore. Lahore winters (i.e. the fog etc) are famous this should not have been a surprise to the PCB. I guess what on forgets is the Indian Cricket Boards input into the schedule. The Indians probably did not want to play the first test in Karachi. Anyway a pure logistical and scheduling disaster.

yes this is exactly wat i want to say I too do not understand the reasoning for playing here in january

cavin420 said:

Dont tell me hes said he can get 200 in ODIs again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Cricket_Devil said:
and we all remember wat happened to sehwag last time he said he would get 200's
:))):))):))):))) yes i do very well indeed was struggling to get into double figures for a long long time!

Back