On This Day: January 31, 2010 - Shahid Afridi bites the ball!

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Bizarre day for Pakistani cricket and another dimension to the ball-tampering issue!

Here is what Rana Naved told us about the incident in his interview with us

PakPassion: There was an incident during Pakistan's tour of Australia in 2009/2010 where Shahid Afridi bit the ball and was subsequently punished for his transgression. As you were standing next to him when this happened, what are your recollections of that incident?

Rana Naved-ul-Hasan: Yes, I remember this well! This was the 4th ODI in Perth and I was bowling from one end while Mohammad Asif was bowling from the other. Lala [Afridi] bit the ball a couple of times between deliveries. As you will see from videos of this incident, we all told him not to do that as there were cameras all around the ground. The ball was swinging anyway, but he did not listen and continued biting the ball. I suppose as he was the captain, he got a bit excited as it was turning out to be a close match. We had not won any match in the ODI series by that time, so in his enthusiasm, he committed a mistake and had to face the consequences.

As for us, we were really ashamed ourselves about what happened on that day but the fact is that whilst Afridi may have committed a mistake, it is also true that he did pay the price for this misdemeanor.

I actually saw this match at the ground.

Couldn't stop laughing for at least 5 minutes.

January 31, 2010 : Afridi bites the ball!

Match fixing aside, this Has to be One of the most embarrassingly stupid episodes in the charade that is pak cricket.

Humiliating day for cricket in general, but no point in clinging on it it. Time to move over this episode.

Humiliating episode indeed. I remember Afridi had to go to the opposing team's dressing room to apologize to them in person. I cant imagine how that must have been.

While it's best to get over what happened (I already have), it has given the detractors something that they'll bring up till eternity to humiliate and point fingers at Pak cricket. And Pak fans have got only Afridi to thank for it.

Remember the negative things that Darrell Hair said after this incident? Who do you think gave him the opportunity to open his big mouth?

He has been punished for it, and this is no where as bad as fixing. No big deal. I did not see the match live but when I saw the highlights I could not control my laughter for a while.

Afridi was doing it for colgate ad, he wasn't cheating.

Meanwhile as of October 2013, mass selling of zippers in cricket-crazy countries has increased ten fold

its a miracle that a person brings shame to his country by eating a cricket ball, by trying to temper the pitch, by resigning after just his first test as captain and running back home like a coward, by turning his back on his country by announcing retirement from international cricket atleast half a dozen times, by losing atleast 100 cricket matches due to his childish batting and is still considered a hero. Greatest injustice. sometimes i feel for this generation. Their stars are bits and pieces players like afridi. While previous generation had genuine stars such as wasim, waqar, inzi, saqlain and saeed..

The worst thing about was it the stupidity, how did he expect to get away with such a blatant act in this day and age.

Re: January 31, 2010 : Afridi bites the ball!

its a miracle that a person brings shame to his country by eating a cricket ball, by trying to temper the pitch, by resigning after just his first test as captain and running back home like a coward, by turning his back on his country by announcing retirement from international cricket atleast half a dozen times, by losing atleast 100 cricket matches due to his childish batting and is still considered a hero. Greatest injustice. sometimes i feel for this generation. Their stars are bits and pieces players like afridi. While previous generation had genuine stars such as wasim, waqar, inzi, saqlain and saeed..

Potw!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The worst thing about was it the stupidity, how did he expect to get away with such a blatant act in this day and age.

He made a mistake and apologized.

If people can take arms for the likes of Mohammad Amir etc then Afridi's misdemeanour is also excusable - atleast he did for Pakistan to win!

I personally find it hard to visualize anyone else doing it except Afridi. I couldn't stop laughing for some time after I saw it but we should let it go. He went over board in trying to win that game. It looked funny on camera but he was punished. He also apologized for that. An old issue.

Last edited:
It also boggles my mind. How did he think he would get away with it..

If people can take arms for the likes of Mohammad Amir etc then Afridi's misdemeanour is also excusable - atleast he did for Pakistan to win!
I am questioning the thought process, plenty of teams do ball tampering except that they do it smartly 'cleaining dirt off the seam with nails(India)' 'mints(England)' 'using boot spikes (England)' 'zippers (SA)'. And what he does, tries to gobble the ball, how can someone who play so much cricket thinks the camera wouldn't catch something that blatant.

No,not at all.I just appreciated his bravery and courage to go for that act,not the act that he performed.I am also not an Afridi fan.

:)))

Then I'm pretty you sure admire Du Plessis' bravery and courage too? And Amir's, Asif's and Butt's?

To think Afridi has so many lovers despite his actions, it's a travesty really.

No,not at all.I just appreciated his bravery and courage to go for that act,not the act that he performed.I am also not an Afridi fan.

Bravery and courage...
More like recklessness like his whole career

ask anyone who is the famous in pak... its Afridi... its bcoz of his charisma.. not bcoz of biting ball or ball tampering...
can you prove the ten matches he costs you the game...?

ask anyone who is the famous in pak... its Afridi... its bcoz of his charisma.. not bcoz of biting ball or ball tampering...
can you prove the ten matches he costs you the game...?

That's why pakistan cricket is in the drains...
We like players with "charisma" than the players who actually perform

His excuse was even worse lol.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gOQo36HENrM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gOQo36HENrM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He said, he was trying to smell with his teeth. When interviewer said that you don't smell anything with you teeth then he replied,

Some time you do smell with you teeth - Afridi

Hilarious. Now, when you add his comments to the actual event then biting the ball is lot more hilarious. Dancing on the pitch is not even close to this.

Last edited:
He said, he was trying to smell with his teeth. When interviewer said that you don't smell anything with you teeth then he replied,

Some time you do smell with you teeth - Afridi

Hilarious. Now, when you add his comments to the actual event then biting the ball is lot more hilarious. Dancing on the pitch is not even close to this.

:afridi You think you understand him then you don't. Don't worry the world, we are just as confused about him as you are.

actually makes me think Afridi doesn't ball tamper often. No cricket fan is naive enough to think all teams don't do it, but Afridi obviously hadn't done it at international level before if he was biting the ball.

Many players over the years have tried tampering the ball even Sachin was accused of ball tampering, I watched where Ganguly was "shining" the ball with one his pointing finger nail on the ball(scratching the other side) , i saw Jayasuriya doing the same thing back in the day with thumb finger. and I saw Ponting wear sunscreen juts before going to field and getting the ball and shining the ball with his most likely a wet slippery hand. Afridi was just dumb enough to bite the damn ball lol

There should be cake and celebrations on the 5 year anniversary of this event coming up in ~1.5 months :afridi

afridi is one of the luckiest guy in the cricketing history....how he can fool pakistan for abt 15 years....just wonder.....and the comment smell with teeth lol..

afridi definitely showed his passion for the game and his win at all cost attitude that day. not many people in the world would risk a ban in trying to help his team like he did. a warrior in the truest sense and a legend of the game

Rana Naved-ul-Hasan: Yes, I remember this well! This was the 4th ODI in Perth and I was bowling from one end while Mohammad Asif was bowling from the other. Lala [Afridi] bit the ball a couple of times between deliveries. As you will see from videos of this incident, we all told him not to do that as there were cameras all around the ground. The ball was swinging anyway, but he did not listen and continued biting the ball. I suppose as he was the captain, he got a bit excited as it was turning out to be a close match. We had not won any match in the ODI series by that time, so in his enthusiasm, he committed a mistake and had to face the consequences.

A little correction. It was 5th ODI. Mohammad Yousuf was forced to sit down from captaincy in order to prepare Afridi as captain in 5th ODI for the WC T20 2010 i think.

I fondly remember ball eating incident. Who can forget that? :jf

article-0-09E9CEC2000005DC-207_468x362.jpg

Afridi's tampering taunt invites ICC ire

Karachi/Melbourne: Shahid Afridi made a feeble attempt at defending his ban-inviting ball-biting antic in Perth before making a startling allegation that all teams indulge in such ball-tampering acts.

Caught on camera biting the ball during Sunday's ODI against Australia in Perth, Afridi on Monday did flip-flops, first claiming he was trying to "smell" the ball, then reckoning he was trying to help the bowler "in a wrong way" before apologising for the "mad thing".

He then went on to claim that ball-tampering is nothing new in cricket and it's only that his "methods were wrong".

Benefitting from his two-match ban, Shoaib Malik was on Monday named to lead the side in Friday's one-off Twenty20 tie against Australia while the former Pakistani players wondered why Afridi behaved in such a crazy manner.

Coach Intikhab Alam felt Afridi seemed like "eating an apple" while former captain Inzamam-ul Haq lashed out at the all-rounder, saying it was "unacceptable".

Recalling the incident, Afridi said, "I tried to smell it. There was some things on it that I tried to move. I don't know what happened to me that made me do such a mad thing.

"It was not right and I apologise for my actions to everyone. What happened was very unfortunate and should not have happened. I have learnt from my mistake and will not repeat it again," Afridi said.

Subsequently, Pakistan's Twenty20 captain tried to dilute the issue, saying all teams indulge in ball-tampering.

"There is no team in the world that doesn't tamper with the ball," said Afridi.

"My methods were wrong. I am embarrassed, I shouldn't have done it. I just wanted to win us a game but this was the wrong way to do it," Afridi said.

Incidentally, TV footage surfaced in Pakistan in which the player was apaprently seen admitting to and advocating ball-tampering.

"...you also have to help the ball yourself. You have to tamper with the ball to make it swing.

"It spells death for bowlers if you don't tamper with the ball. You can get some help from the pitch but even then you have to 'make' the ball,"
Afridi was heard saying.

He in fact went to the extent of saying that ICC should legalise ball-tampering.

Coach Intikhab Alam, however, was less than amused and said, "It is unacceptable, it should not have happened -- I feel sorry for him, being a captain you should be above everything.

"It just happened, like he was eating an apple. I have no idea (what he was trying to achieve)," he said.

Inzamam was more harsh in his view and felt Afridi was lucky to have escaped with a two-match ban.

"What Afridi did was unacceptable and more worrying is the fact that he was captain when he tried to tamper with the ball," Inzamam added.

"The match referee Ranjan Madugalle has been kind to Afridi, giving him just a two-match ban or else Afridi could have been in bigger trouble," Inzamam added.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/cricketnext/every-team-tampers-the-ball-afridi/345634-78.html

Well, the tampering with the ball is a serious offence.

But this is freaking hilarious :))) Everytime I think about it, I burst into laughter. That dance on the pitch too. :)))

Ah man... he's such an exuberant charactor. very spontaneous. Its always pleasure to see him in action. And that criss-cross celebration :)))

Not that I condone what he did, but at least he didn't use his nails to pick the seam descretely like Sachin Tendulkar or Philtrundler. He did it in a way that we all can have a laugh about it. :)))

Bizarre day for Pakistani cricket and another dimension to the ball-tampering issue!

Here is what Rana Naved told us about the incident in his interview with us

This was the funniest thing I had ever seen at the time :))

He must have really strong teeth.

I cant imagine ever doing this... God knows how many people have spat on the ball, so much saliva, dont forget people rubbing it on their groins to get some shine, plus you add mud from different parts of the ground, quite possibly could have bird poop on it as well.

Yuck!

8 years down the line and this incident still helps me crack up (whenever I think about it) :)) :))

What a Legend :14:

:afridi

Last edited:
He must have really strong teeth.

I cant imagine ever doing this... God knows how many people have spat on the ball, so much saliva, dont forget people rubbing it on their groins to get some shine, plus you add mud from different parts of the ground, quite possibly could have bird poop on it as well.

Yuck!

Some vivid imagery right there :shadab

PakPassion: There was an incident during Pakistan's tour of Australia in 2009/2010 where Shahid Afridi bit the ball and was subsequently punished for his transgression. As you were standing next to him when this happened, what are your recollections of that incident?

As for us, we were really ashamed ourselves about what happened on that day but the fact is that whilst Afridi may have committed a mistake, it is also true that he did pay the price for this misdemeanor.
Read more at http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/s...-quot-Rana-Naved-ul-Hasan#lLrI2V4jMRHq4EGq.99

I saw his interview with Nauman Niaz and Afridi admitted honestly that "he wanted to win at any cost". Atleast he accepted and I appreciate that. Was a moment of madness.

I still to this day wonder what Afridi was thinking. You can't even rub your nose these days without being caught by the cameras.

Say what you will about Lala but only he had balls to do it so blatantly.
What a legend. They don't make like em anymore:afridi

The day Afridi figured out biting the ball is better than biting the dust!

There needs to be national holiday based on this day.

I remember this incident. Didn't know about the date. From here on I shall celebrate this historic day every year by ordering a cake made purely out of cricket balls.

it was not the ball biting that made us look stupid, it was his statements afterwards.

The guy was the freaken captain of Pakistan Cricket, you dont make such statements on such a position.

it was not the ball biting that made us look stupid

Come on. This looks pretty stupid.

DU4bAEAW4AA50Dj.jpg

To think these days, everything is being scrutinized by the media to no ends, like Steven Smith allegedly using lip balm on the ball, Faf Duplessis using the liquid from the lolly. Afridi if he did in this era of cricketing would be villified to no ends. Thank God no social media was present in such excess during this time. We would be hiding our faces, it would've been a media war.

One of the most bizarre incidents on the cricket field.

Hungry players should eat first and then step inside the field.

Sometimes you can (smell the ball with your teeth) :))) wth Afridi lool

Isn’t this the same tour where oath taking and that other stuff was done?

That response to the journalist is another level of comedy from Afridi.

Epic response from Lala "Don't ask negative questions" :)

I had no idea he was skipper! That makes it even funnier !! :)))

The dumbest thing a cricketer has ever done in the field.

Seriously dumb - remember watching it 10 yrs back! Maybe some trainer had made Afridi forego his Biryani before the match, that could be the only explanation for something so bizarrely funny!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is still unbelievable to think captain of an international cricket team could behave like this.

That day!

But something so Afridi about this whole thing.

Back