On This Day: March 25, 1992 - Pakistan win the World Cup - Your memories of that day?

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
For those that were born back in 1992, what are your memories of the day that Pakistan won the 1992 world cup final?

Attachments

• Imran-Khan-lifts-the-Worl-007.jpg
    Imran-Khan-lifts-the-Worl-007.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,139
IK with the crystal trophy on the dias.

For those that were born back in 1992, what are your memories of the day that Pakistan won the 1992 world cup final?

And i am sure, people born in 92 will be having zilch for memories about this event :p

Last edited:
On this Day in 1992 win the World Cup - Your memories of that day?

That was the day...

Amir Sohail's sajda...I was little but I had full knowledge of cricket as I used to play the game and I was following Pakistan's progress in the world cup....That Sajda summed up my world cup, i.e., we ended up with ultimate prize.

I was 7odd months old so no memories lol

But my dad tells me he and my uncles n friends watched it all together (obviously it was overnight here in the UK and Ramadan I think) and they were just cheering etc in the house lol

Wasim's 2 deliveries in finals.
NZ going for pinch hitting in start and able to pull it off to some extent.
Martin Crowe batting.
Out of place speech by IK which he regretted later.

Added Later: Strike the middle two but I will leave the comments. These 4 things I remember the most from that WC. Wasim's 2 balls in the final takes the top spot in vividness.

Last edited:
The most memorable day in history of Pakistan Cricket

I was negative 2 at that time... But my father told me that he and some other guys went to a friends house who had a satellite dish around 100 miles away from where he was and all of them watched it together. That was in Germany.

Was a super awesome day but in my opinion, the Semi against NZ was a lot more tense day. After Fajr, I recited "Ya hayyo ya Qayyum bey rehmatayka astaghees", 1000 times and prayed for the victory. I guess the entire Pakistan was on Mussallah that Ramadhan morning.

Born 4 years after this, but still remember my dad, uncle etc who would talk about Wasims 2 deliviries all day. I finally asked them why they don't watch or talk cricket and prefer rugby and they all replied "we stopped watching when Imran retired".

I was 7: this was the first game I saw (highlights) on BBC in the evening. Everyone in my family was happy so I started supporting Pakistan. I will never forget that day. Then that summer I would become a lifetime addict....we used to have hats saying 1992 world champions :)

I desperately want another World Cup triumph next year

Last edited:
I was too young to watch every match and understand it. The only memory I had when Ramiz caught the ball. Everyone screamed in the room. Dad, brothers, sisters etc
That's the only thing I remember as a kid. After that I went to buy a bread from a local bakery everyone was so happy for some strange reason. Shop keepers, passersby. It was like Eid. I had never seen such happy faces afterwards especially in Pakistan.

I was in Saudi Arabia; it wasn't on tv, so managed to catch most of the game on radio (very bad quality).

However, have seen the full game video so many times that my memory feels like I watched it live that day.

I was only 10 years old and actually had no interest in cricket whatsoever (I was a mad football fanatic uptill then) but I remember vividly my dad coming home from work with Meethai to say Pak had won the World Cup in cricket. I was happy that Pakistan had won something major in a sports game but still didn't show that much interest.

Only when Pak toured England a few months later did I start to watch the game and my passion really start when I saw Wasim and co but especially Waqar running at pace to destroy England.

Although you could say the World cup win kick start me into the game it was actually the Test format that really made me love watching Pak and cricket.

Also a question for all posters old enough which team did you see as Pakistans biggest rival during that time ?

For me it was England by far. The Pakistan team especially seemed pumped up against them. There was lots off the field incidents as well that probably added to the spice.

Indian rivalry only really started from the 1996 WC onwards, especially after the bitter defeat.

Re: On this Day in 1992....Pakistan win the World Cup - Your memories of that day?

I was 7odd months old so no memories lol

But my dad tells me he and my uncles n friends watched it all together (obviously it was overnight here in the UK and Ramadan I think) and they were just cheering etc in the house lol

Lol half my granddad's street was crammed into his front room .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Also a question for all posters old enough which team did you see as Pakistans biggest rival during that time ?

For me it was England by far. The Pakistan team especially seemed pumped up against them. There was lots off the field incidents as well that probably added to the spice.

Indian rivalry only really started from the 1996 WC onwards, especially after the bitter defeat.

No, it was definitely India even at that time. India was happy to beat us even though they didn't win the cup.

England was also up there due to Imran/Botham rivalry, but it didn't trump India.

so now we know everyones age in this thread :kapil

Inshallah Pakistan will win the 2015 World Cup Under Misbah Ul Haq!

The best world cup in my opinion.. 90k people watching the final..

My one memory has been watching the celebration on Indian streets after the final. That was hard to take.

I was 4 years old then. I lived in a joint family back then, all my uncles used to sit up in the morning in blankets watching the cricket match when I used to goto school and I hated it because I wanted to watch the match too although I didn't understand much. I learnt the world cup song back then coz it used to play so much, 'who ruled the world' and I used to sing it in class the teacher made me sing it in front of the class. Now as a 4 year old I can't recall much but this what my mom used to tell me.

But even when I grew older I was a big wasim akram fan and I hated it when my dad or anyone else said anything against him. Coz I am left handed myself I loved all left handers and hated the obsession people had with waqar younis and people who said waqar was better than wasim.

Even my mom used to say that If I wana be like wasim akram I have to drink milk looool

It started before the birth of Pakistan in 1947. There were Muslim and Hindu clubs during British Raj and matches between these club were very heated affairs.

Former Pakistan Fast Bowler Sikandar Bhakt was visiting one of his friends few weeks before India's tour of Pakistan in 1978. When he was leaving his friend's home, his friend's mother said him to never come to her home if they lose to India.

The best world cup in my opinion.. 90k people watching the final..

My one memory has been watching the celebration on Indian streets after the final. That was hard to take.

What? Why where the indians celebrating?

I was -5 years old :D But I have still seen replays!
That trophy looks much much better than the current one to be Honest!

I had the whole match on VHS.

Re-watched it and watched it and watched it again and again.

It was epic.

That VHS is still around here somewhere but I don't have a VCR anymore :S

I was 10. It remains the greatest cricket memory for me, along with the 1999 Chennai test.

I remember that the day before the match, my school organized a special assembly where we (300+ kids) belted out the national anthem, followed by prayers and motivational speeches. Everyone got so pumped up. It was as if we were going to play the final, and not Imran's team.

I remember watching this game. I was very young and when I came back from school, I remember those two match turning wickets of Wasim from around the wicket. Was it Lamb and Lewis? Not sure...That was amazing bowling.

I was in Kuwait, my dad booked a hotel room so that we could watch it..amazing day, partied all night after that!!!

no doubt that was a special win and 2 years later WC in hockey . Golden decade for Pakistani sports.

It was probably as good as 83 WC for India.

oh boy oh boy.... I was only 6 then and it was Winter Kashmir, Ramadan and Early morning start and we probably were the only house in the whole of Srinagar to have an access to Dish Antenna and my word I still remember how people from neighborhood used to come to our house at 2 in the morning. Its something that would always stay with me forever. Javed Maindad, the ever reliable, Inzam-ul-gHaq's Semi-final innings against Kiwis, Moin Khan's Six and boundary in the same match- I still remember how every one danced out of ultimate joy and then the final glory .... World Cup 1992 Winning Tropy and Aamir suhails Sajda and to top it all i dont know how true is it but I was told that Javed maindad was fasting on that day as it was Ramadan

Matric board exams, watched the game still from first ball to last in CCH mess hall with special TV setup by college admin

Quotes from Moin Khan speaking today

"Winning the 1992 World Cup was a very special moment"

"It was the first World Cup for most of us and also the first tour to Australia"

"The way Imran Khan led the team was commendable"

"We were down and out, but the rain helped us qualify for the semis"

"Had it not been for the rain, we would never have won the mega event"

Quotes from Moin Khan speaking today

Winning a World title when you are done an out and them making a comeback within the tournament has a special feel IMO compared to dominating from the onset.

watched every ball of it. had half of the street at my dad's house. Had my heart in my mouth when Imran's catch was dropped!

Thanks goochy!

It was the only ever cricket match that my mum watched from start to finish :)

Recorded the full match on vhs, it's been more than 15 years since I have lost the cassettes.

The year 1992 will always have a special place in my life, not only for the '92 World Cup but the memorable England tour as well.

The 80's & 90's were a great time being a cricket fan.

Last edited:

Agree with you, at that time England was the team we loved to hate. Although India were the arch-rivals, but beating England was something special.

I still get goose bumps watching or reading anything about the 1992 England tour. That series win at the Oval in 1992 was more satisfying than the World Cup final.....at least for me.

Last edited:
Agree with you, at that time England was the team we loved to hate. Although India were the arch-rivals, but beating England was something special.

I still get goose bumps watching or reading anything about the 1992 England tour. That series win at the Oval in 1992 was more satisfying than the World Cup final.....at least for me.

Did Pakistan lose ODI series 4-1 ?

Yes the World cup is a mega event, but teams are judged on their Test performances especially away from home.

On this Day in 1992....Pakistan win the World Cup - Your memories of that day?

Wasn't born but can imagine the celebrations, let's hope we get to see them lift it again next year

I was 7 and living in Pakistan @ the time. Still remember watching the match @ my place with few of my gulli friends and then running with a Pakistan flag in the streets after we won the world cup. Also remembering playing cricket in our gulli before or after and trying to imitate Imran Khans bowling action. It was a school holiday for us and my love/obessesion for Pakistan Cricket really started after the world cup win. I only remember a few matches before the world cup win and they were Pakistan vs West Indies in Sharjah. After the World Cup win...most of the matches are in good memory or vividly clear :)

No memories for obvious reasons :afridi but hopefully some others can contribute their thoughts here!

Staying up all night to watch Imran Khan lift the trophy! And then walking 10 ft tall all day afterwards!

I was way too small to remember anything about that WC victory but heard many stories about it!!

Like how we were almost eliminated in the group stages before rain saved us lol, how Imran Khan wore that cornered tigers shirt and Inzy's blistering knock in the WC semifinal!

Undoubtedly our greatest ever sporting triumph that will be forever remembered!

I was probably being a cranky one year old while the rest of the familia rejoices.

A whole generation of Pakistan has grown up with zero cricketing achievement :facepalm:

In India after India's early exit, a Pakistani win was welcomed by many. I remember I was 8 years old and many people including me were happy that an asian side won it

Absolutely changed the landscape of Pakistan cricket. Imran's goals in life changed due to his mother's illness but had he stayed on board and run Pak cricket, we would have been much better off

Wasim's 2 deliveries in finals.
NZ going for pinch hitting in start and able to pull it off to some extent.
Martin Crowe batting.
Out of place speech by IK which he regretted later.

Added Later: Strike the middle two but I will leave the comments. These 4 things I remember the most from that WC. Wasim's 2 balls in the final takes the top spot in vividness.
What did imran say? I've never heard about this.

What did imran say? I've never heard about this.

Think people took umbrage to him not mentioning his team too many times and speaking more of his own goals in life etc

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On this day 1992 - the greatest day in the history of Pakistan cricket <a href="https://t.co/dJQAKvJtrr">pic.twitter.com/dJQAKvJtrr</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/845556858609975296">March 25, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The greatest day in our cricketing history is back for another year. Relive the memories!

In India after India's early exit, a Pakistani win was welcomed by many. I remember I was 8 years old and many people including me were happy that an asian side won it

Maybe because the news didn't intoxicate them then. Now Times of india, NDTV etc. have filled indians with hate against pakistan.

Man, to think of some of the players we had back then in that team, and look at the players now. :dw

Some great memories, walking out on the street feeling 10 feet tall!

Watched the whole game (don't remember if school was off that day or i didn't go) but tbh the semi-final was way more fun. The whole tournament remains etched in my memory as if it was yesterday. From watching the first match and being furious at Ramiz's selfishness to waking up one morning and finding out that we had been bundled out for 75, to my father giving me an update on the RSA loss on the way back from school, 1992 is and will probably remain my fondest cricketing memory. Still also remember the huge celebrations that followed the team's return. Does anybody else remember the "fatah ka jhanda lay kar Imran agaya" song that played on PTV when the team returned? :pkflag

The 80's & 90's were a great time being a cricket fan.

Indeed. There wasn't a glut of cricket and each match was an occasion to be looked forward to. Still remember how one had to wait for months for matches, often to find out that PTV would not be covering them :p and then having to resort to radio, which was fun in its own way.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OnThisDay</a> 1992. The greatest day in the history of Pakistan cricket <a href="https://t.co/RrzhcRxfM2">pic.twitter.com/RrzhcRxfM2</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1110079553647661056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 25, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I recall it was midweek. what I remember.
The live news coverage of the celebrations on the Broadway in Southall London.
The celebrations outside Birmingham Central Mosque prior to the Ramadan Taraweeh Evening Prayers.
And the UK Tabloid newspaper headline that stands out in the days of the Star Trek film franchise release:
'The Wrath of Khan'

Last edited:
Seeking full ball by ball 92 World Cup Final highlights

Hi,

Can anyone advise where I could acquire full ball by ball highlights of the 92 final as currently being shown?

Thanks!

Back