On This Day: October 25, 1991 - Aaqib Javed demolished India with 7/37

Watsupdoc

Test Star
Runs
Aaqib Javed, former right arm fast bowler, on this day in 1991 demolished India with a brutal spell of bowling in Sharjah.

It was the final of the Willis Trophy. India had won the toss and had elected to field first. Pakistan scored a decent pretty good total of 262 runs, mainly thanks to the pair of Zahid Fazal and Saleem Malik, who scored 98 (retired hurt) and 87 respectively.

India with the batting line-up they had would have certainly looked to challenge this total if it wasn't for one man. Aaqib Javed sank the Indian ship even before it had a chance to float and reduced India to 8-143 with career best figures of 7-37, scripting a 72 run win for Pakistan.

Scorecard: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/65946.html

Aaqib Javed's career stats:

Screenshot2012-10-24at115859PM.png

04630463640x480.jpg

Those were the days our fast bowlers use to run through batting lines in a flash give me goose bumps thinking about it.

Aaqib Javed, former right arm fast bowler, on this day in 1991 demolished India with a brutal spell of bowling in Sharjah.

It was the final of the Willis Trophy. India had won the toss and had elected to field first. Pakistan scored a decent pretty good total of 262 runs, mainly thanks to the pair of Zahid Fazal and Saleem Malik, who scored 98 (retired hurt) and 87 respectively.

India with the batting line-up they had would have certainly looked to challenge this total if it wasn't for one man. Aaqib Javed sank the Indian ship even before it had a chance to float and reduced India to 8-143 with career best figures of 7-37, scripting a 72 run win for Pakistan.

Scorecard: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/65946.html

Aaqib Javed's career stats:

Screenshot2012-10-24at115859PM.png

04630463640x480.jpg

Including 3 LBW's Hat trick... I still remember this game.

Yup, forgot to add that this spell included a hattrick.

Also, yes those were the days, when we used to terrorize other batting-lineups with our fast bowling.

From what I remember there were some dodgy LBW decisions in this match!

Perhaps someone could upload the highlights?

Yeah remember that one, got the best ODI figures which he held for a while. Kapil Dev vowed never to go back to Sharjah, he wasn't happy with some decisions.

Aaqib Javed an unfulfilled potential probably?
I admit I haven't seen him bowl much but he appears to be in the Umar Gul league of bowlers.

He was a very average test bowler

just 54 wickets in 22 matches ............that is Rubbish

I remember some expert saying that selecters and management used to pull aqib out of the jungle to play when ever Pakistan had a match against India.. I think he has the best record for any Pak bowler against India.

Yup, forgot to add that this spell included a hattrick.

Also, yes those were the days, when we used to terrorize other batting-lineups with our fast bowling.

How times have changed ... Now your fast bowlers are being terrorised by A certain virat kohli...

How times have changed ... Now your fast bowlers are being terrorised by A certain virat kohli...

Time changes everything, now :sachin is being terrorized by any other bowler in test cricket!

Last edited by a moderator:
He was over-hyped for years b/c of that spell. He was a good swinger of the ball no doubt but he lacked the pace to trouble the batters.

He was a good support bowler none the less and pretty good on his day

on those times everybody was demolishing India for fun so its not that big of a deal.

One of the the games which haunted me for long time. This was the first ODI series I ever watched as a kid and the finals was such a heart break. Very good spell by Aaqib Javed.

He was a proven ball-tamperer.
Yes, I vividly remember Richie Benaud exclaiming “Steady on!” as Aaqib gouged a huge chunk off the ball in the 1992 England v Pakistan Test series.

Aaqib was a decent 135K away swing bowler.

He was overshadowed by the fact that Wasim, Waqar and Mushtaq were ATG’s, and things were made worse by the huge deception of Aaqib’s age. He was probably 8-9 years older than his imaginary age, which is why he was finished by the time he was “23”.

All the same, without Aaqib, Pakistan would have lost the 1992 World Cup Final. Both for his bowling and his catch off Mushy.

In 92 world cup though, he took some big wickrts for pakistan using conventional swing and two new white balls from each end so ball tampering during that tournament was pointless.

And yes thise kooks swung more than the ones today for some reason. You can watch old footage and make up your own mind.

For Indian fans he was a bigger nightmare than Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib :)).

As a kid, i thought he was the best bowler of Pakistan. Maybe because he almost always performed against India

Yes, I vividly remember Richie Benaud exclaiming “Steady on!” as Aaqib gouged a huge chunk off the ball in the 1992 England v Pakistan Test series.

Aaqib was a decent 135K away swing bowler.

He was overshadowed by the fact that Wasim, Waqar and Mushtaq were ATG’s, and things were made worse by the huge deception of Aaqib’s age. He was probably 8-9 years older than his imaginary age, which is why he was finished by the time he was “23”.

All the same, without Aaqib, Pakistan would have lost the 1992 World Cup Final. Both for his bowling and his catch off Mushy.

Aqib had a chest operation in Australia at the end of 1992, they say he was never the same bowler after that, much less pace and spring in his step. Watch him bamboozle Graeme Hicks stumps in 1992 with a brilliant inswinger, he had decent pace before that injury

For India, Aqib Javed always seemed like the toughest bowler to handle in the Pakistan team.

Good third or fourth bowler, great record against India. For some reason, Indians handled Wasim & Waqar better than him

I watched this live.

What an atmosphere in the ground, not a single empty seat and it was so warm.

A bit of trouble in the stadium too and I remember Javed Sheikh dancing in front of the Bollywood stars at the fall of each Indian wicket.

Another thing I remember about that day was the ridiculous behaviour of the UAE police after the match, charging fans with sticks, just because they were cheering for their team.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OnThisDay</a> in 1991. Aaqib Javed's 7-37 including a hat-trick gave Pakistan victory by 72 runs against India in the Wills Trophy final at Sharjah <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/Tj9KVwAu8Y">pic.twitter.com/Tj9KVwAu8Y</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1584813533199732736?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 25, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I remember this match very clearly. Followed it on teletext and some highlights were provided by Sky Sports a bit later.

I remember Wasim was bowling very gingerly in that match, just jogging in.

Great attack - they were probably so cautious of the two Ws and got smashed by who they thought was the weak link.

Sir Aqib Javed

Love you brother

Allah Tala aapko lambi Zindagi ata farmaye

Keep spitting fire on the mic! Keep speaking the truth no matter how much it hurts the establishment!

Aaqib was a very fine bowler. He would have been a great bowler if was an Indian. Unfortunately, he was a victim of the 90's infighting culture within the team. I guess he didn't get along well with Wasim And Waqar especially when Wasim was appointed captain in 1993. It was astonishing that at times Ata ur Rehman was preferred over him.

You can even observe now how he keeps himself distance from Wasim and Waqar. I have yet to see these three sitting together in any forum.

He was destroyed by unknown in pcb....he used to take 5fer for fun against us.... sometimes it was puzzling to see him not in the squad when the 2 Ws were playing

Injuries handicapped otherwise he was a champion bowler don't forget his contribution in the 92 WC

So much talent Pakistan had like the Italy of 90s

He was good. But this particular match BC Cooray made some bonker decisions. One of the worst umpire ever to officiate.

These are the matches that mattered, not these modern day t20 Mickey Mouse games where you’re a hero for 2 sixes.

Back