On This Day: October 4, 2002 - Faisal Iqbal takes the attack to Australia's bowlers

WebGuru

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
039513.jpg

qnmx.png

With Australia dismissed for 467 and Pakistan replying with 210 for 5, you might think this was a fairly ordinary day in Colombo. It was anything but. This was a day of three distinct parts, each in sharp contrast to the other.

In the first session, Damien Martyn and Adam Gilchrist added 123 runs as a lacklustre Pakistan failed to pick up a wicket; in the second, Pakistan got five Australian wickets in the space of 10 runs and then stuttered to 50 for 3; and in the last session of the day, they made 160 runs for the loss of just two wickets, mainly due to a stirring, Test-best 78 not out off 80 balls from Faisal Iqbal.

The biggest dramatic element of the day came from the battle between Faisal and Shane Warne, won emphatically by Faisal. Nonchalantly chewing gum with a swagger reminiscent of his uncle, Javed Miandad, Iqbal exuded a confidence that came not just from youthful enthusiasm - he is only 20 years old - but also from pure talent. He stepped out in his first over against Warne and smashed him over his head to the straight boundary. Then he leaned back to a short ball in the next over and hammered it through cover for four, but that was only l'aperitif.

The main course came half-an-hour before the close in what turned out to be Warne's last over of the day. First, Faisal stepped out and executed a repeat of that first four; this one though, was inside-out and sped to the long-off boundary. The next ball he cover-drove for two, and then swept Warne for four to bring up his fifty. Another lofted straight-drive followed, and then he stepped out and smashed him imperiously past cover for four more. 18 off the over: Warne blinked his eyes and disappeared out of the attack.

Faisal was equally forceful against the quick bowlers - an on-the-rise straight-drive off Jason Gillespie took the breath away - and gave Pakistan hope of averting the follow-on, something which looked extremely unlikely when they were 116 for 5, still 351 behind the Aussies.

Remember this Over?

39.1 Warne to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR

39.2 Warne to Faisal Iqbal, 2 runs

39.3 Warne to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR

39.4 Warne to Faisal Iqbal, no run

39.5 Warne to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR

39.6 Warne to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR

Faisal Iqbal vs Australia Bowling Attack:

21.3 Warne to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
22.5 Lee to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
23.3 Warne to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
28.5 McGrath to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
32.1 Gillespie to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
33.5 Warne to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
34.5 Gillespie to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
34.6 Gillespie to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
39.1 Warne to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
39.3 Warne to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
39.5 Warne to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
39.6 Warne to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
42.2 Gillespie to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
42.6 Gillespie to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
44.2 Gillespie to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR
46.5 McGrath to Faisal Iqbal, FOUR

He scored 83 runs with a SR of 97+ including 16 boundaries (7 against Warne)

Scorecard: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64001.html

Last edited:
Great read, thanks for sharing. Same old story talent always is wasted, surely with such potential shown in a young career one would expect the player to sustain good performances through hardwork atleast at a respectable level, but things work differently with pak batsman. There have been many such faisals, and he won't be the last.

i remeber that series. Shoiab was sent back with injurd. Sami and Rao Iftikhar was bowling SUPERB cant forget those overs. Umpires were at there best and did not gave many PLUMP lbw even commentators started to say that.

Thats why i very often defended Faisal Iqbal think he been unlucky and paying for siasat he still can play get him in. Same happend with Asim

I remember watching the highlights at night thinking yes we've got a proper player and fighter here.

That was all the ounce of talent he had that he got from his uncle and he used it. I thought that we had replaced miandad as he will take his place but boy did he go the opposite road. Now i am hoping imam ul haq does not become like him.

Faisal Iqbal as in Faisal Iqbal? The same guy? :murali

Now there is something I did not know.

Last edited:
Iqbal really isnt that bad, I mean he isnt international level but nowhere as bad as the likes of Farhat.

^ yeah he's worst, judging by the fact that he comes down the order and still averages less..

tbh he was unfairly treated because of his relation with miandad. he was a good batsman and a classy one against spin. he's better than azhar ali, of that i have no doubt

What i remember of Faisal Iqbal was that he had an iffy technique against the ball outside off stump but against spinners he was fantastic. As good as anyone in the team around the time, which included Moyo, Inzi, Younis Khan to name a few.

The pcb specializes in destroying players

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 4

Faisal Iqbal is an exceptional player of spin. Technically very sound so it doesn't surprise me he took Warne to the cleaners.

He is the best of the sifarishes. Problem is he thinks he can be Minadad, which he can't

i remember this match. Pakistan did seem like chasing the target untill 30 mins before the game ended. The usual suspect Mcgrath spoilt the party for Pakistan. Akhtar bowled one of his best spell in this match.

Faisal Iqbal is very special against spin but very ordinary while facing the pacers.

i remember this match. Pakistan did seem like chasing the target untill 30 mins before the game ended. The usual suspect Mcgrath spoilt the party for Pakistan. Akhtar bowled one of his best spell in this match.

That spell video is available on youtube but unfortunately Faisal innings video is not available. Hopefully Rob will upload it for us.

He is the best of the sifarishes. Problem is he thinks he can be Minadad, which he can't

If he was the best of sifarshis, then how come garbage players like Hafeez and Imran Farhat still in the side?

As I have always maintained, I will take him in the side for his strong character over the other big cancers in the team any time of the day. He is no Miandad, but he is not timid as many we have now in the team. He HAS played some other good innings

2 problems. I have to find the video tape. Then i have to find a working video player. Then, i can begin editing. Will happen one day, not today. Cracking innings though!!!!

2 problems. I have to find the video tape. Then i have to find a working video player. Then, i can begin editing. Will happen one day, not today. Cracking innings though!!!!

It's ok rob we can wait but how many months/years exactly? :13:

and this thread is the epic reason why potential talent, never takes off :)

was faisal backed then after this innings. Bet not! because he was still a bhanja for the people :)

It is not in pakistani fans to back anyone, unless that player is his own choice. Hell we dont back players who havent spoken to us nicely :)

just shows our mentality :)

Back