Pakistan (134/8) defeat New Zealand (92) by 42 runs to win the 5th T20I – New Zealand win series 4-1

This pitch lol.

Iftikhar and Usama looking like prime Murali and Warne.

Really puts into perspective how Rizwan handled Santner. It seemed slow but it will end up being matchwinning on this surface.

Rizwan plays like this day in and day out.

We are losing 4-0.

Not winning 4-0 that you come up with these sudden statements.

The 50 partnership between Babar and Rizwan proving to be the difference 😂
PP experts - just wait to see how the pitch plays in the second innings before pre concieved agendas about Rizwans batting comes to the fore

Rizwan plays like this day in and day out.

We are losing 4-0.

Not winning 4-0 that you come up with these sudden statements.

If Pakistan winning this game thanks to Rizwan's contribution makes you mad, you need to look within.

I cannot help you. Look elsewhere.

The 50 partnership between Babar and Rizwan proving to be the difference 😂
PP experts - just wait to see how the pitch plays in the second innings before pre concieved agendas about Rizwans batting comes to the fore

Was that really the difference?

Or was it our spinners?

You want to give credit to world famine being over due to Babar and Rizwan be my guest.

But don't fool others.

What a difficult pitch it has turned out to be. Still inexcusable batting from Babar and its that Fakhar's innings that's been the difference. Makes it all that more special considering how every batsmen has struggled to score at a good rate.

Seeing Ifti take wickets and you wonder why in the world he hasn't been used in this entire series until now.

If Pakistan winning this game thanks to Rizwan's contribution makes you mad, you need to look within.

I cannot help you. Look elsewhere.

Well well well keep calm it's just a game

I know.

You guys must be jumping at this rare moment.

I am calm.

I see my team losing the series 4-1.

And you guys are excited like we managed to win the World Cup.

Irrespective of the result of this match, which seems to have cemented places for mediocre players, Babar and Rizwan are still terrible opening combination.

One would think we are leading the series 4-0, as Babar and Rizwan lovers seem to have flooded this thread with a possible remote win for Pakistan.

Our bowlers pulled this one for us.

Not the mediocre Rizwan or Babar.
You were throwing a dance party along with @Rana in the Pakistani innings thread when it seemed Rizwan and Babar was playing too slow.

Now it’s clear that this is a very difficult pitch and Rizwan played a match winning innings.

Iftikar getting away with this figures is kinda telling about NZ's poor batting regardless of pitch.

I know.

You guys must be jumping at this rare moment.

I am calm.

I see my team losing the series 4-1.

And you guys are excited like we managed to win the World Cup.
Not excited at all. I know how bad this team is. But I can't contain myself at absurdity of blaming our only run getters for all our losses. I repeat a cricket team is made up of 11 players not 2

You were throwing a dance party along with @Rana in the Pakistani innings thread when it seemed Rizwan and Babar was playing too slow.

Now it’s clear that this is a very difficult pitch and Rizwan played a match winning innings.

That was not a match winning innings.

It was a terrible innings and everyone knows it.

This is the exact innings he played during our World Cups and guess what?

We lost.

And guess what?

We will lose this World Cup again with these type of innings at the top of the order.

We lost.

And guess what?

We will lose this World Cup again with these type of innings at the top of the order.

Lose the World Cup :ROFLMAO:

My friend, have you seen the skill gap between Pakistan and the likes of the teams above us?

The fact you are even talking about World Cups showed the incredible job Babar and Rizwan did to make us a respectable cricketing nation at a time when talent in Pakistan is at an all time low.

You are basically confirming you're a Babar fan with these takes.

Was that really the difference?

Or was it our spinners?

You want to give credit to world famine being over due to Babar and Rizwan be my guest.

But don't fool others.
I said it in jest- but it is the highest partnership of the game 😜

This fielding is pathetic. Farhan what are you doing at the boundary. Hide somewhere.

Irrespective of the result of this match, which seems to have cemented places for mediocre players, Babar and Rizwan are still terrible opening combination.

One would think we are leading the series 4-0, as Babar and Rizwan lovers seem to have flooded this thread with a possible remote win for Pakistan.

O Bhai bas kar dey -- don't you get tired.

Difference was fielding here. NZ dropped 3 catches this match and lost the match. That's what Pakistan did in previous matches and lost the series.

We lost.

And guess what?

I know there have been about a dozen candidates nominated by you to replace replace Rizwan in opening slot. But its not happening until someone does it by sheer weight of performances or Rizwan loses his form completely which he haven't seen in last 3-4 years Alhamdulillah what a a consistent performer

They are jumping up and down even though Fakhar played the best innings out of everyone in Pak today 💀

The way they are celebrating you’d think it was 70* and 64* for RizBab

Very difficult pitch today, reminds me of some of the old T20 pitches.

Much to think about in terms of team changes now.

Shaheen 140 yorker breaks the stumps and Pakistan win the game. More of this pace please Shaheen.

Somehow Pakistan managed to win this awful T20 match that was played like it was on some awful Sharjah or Abu Dhabi pitch. Fakhar sixes were amazing but not much all that noteworthy to be honest.

I know there have been about a dozen candidates nominated by you to replace replace Rizwan in opening slot. But its not happening until someone does it by sheer weight of performances or Rizwan loses his form completely which he haven't seen in last 3-4 years Alhamdulillah what a a consistent performer

Fine.

Enjoy another World Cup loss with him opening.

Pakistan utilized their spin options to make maximum use of the slowness of the wicket.

Pakistan attacked Satner today, that was the difference. Abbas Afridis and Fakhar Zamans cameos made a big difference as well

NZ batting line up is also out of form seemingly. Finn Allen 275, Mitchell 158 Philips 147. Rest are either 50 or below.

Pakistan suffering a January whitewash in New Zealand is a lot of fun.

2018: 5-0 whitewash in ODIs
2021: 2-0 whitewash in Tests
2024: 5-0 whitewash in T20Is

Beautiful. :klopp
😃 Must be embarassing isn't it.
Our cricket has gone down over the past couple of decades and that's why it easy to make predictions about their failures. But understanding this intricate game is not everyone's cup of tea.

I was skimming through the Pakistani innings commentary thread and I couldn’t help but chuckle when I saw Pakistani fans feeling nostalgic about average cricketers like Afridi, Razzaq, Mahmood etc.

Those players should have been forgotten memories by now because they achieved very little but it goes to show how much Pakistan cricket has regressed and how bad things are today that those players look like legends compared to the ones playing today.
That was me and the difference between the likes of you and me is that I actually watched the "average" all rounders, live in the grounds, smash the opposition and take wickets as well (e.g. the T20 final at Lords in 2009)... there's more to cricket than sitting at home and watching it on tele and acting all high and mighty (text book definition of arm chair critic)...

So Pakistan avoided the whitewash. Good stuff in the final game by bowlers and saved the day for the team.

1705807682692.png

Attachments

• 1705807683653.png
    1705807683653.png
    413.5 KB · Views: 0
Rohit Sharma has never won a T20 WC. Makes him a bad player isn't it. Nor has AB devilliers or so many other greats.
Be logical

Now talking about being logical.

Rohit and Rizwan?

You want me to start?

It won't be a pretty ending.

Rohit sharma was part of 2007 world cup unit. Infact he made a crucial 30 in 16 balls in the final.
Ok but I think I did get my point across. There's QDK and so many others who haven't won a world cup being part of far superior sides than Pak

T20 series are mostly used by teams to build bench strength for T20 and even ODIs. Winning series is not a priority for anyone these days. Pakistan missed the opportunity to expose exclusively new faces (instead of mixing with seniors) in foreign conditions.

Pakistan won the match, that is a reality just like they lost the 4 games earlier. Getting whitewashed would have been pretty humiliating, it still is though but 4-1 is still better than 5-0

In men’s T20Is in New Zealand, Pakistan set a new record by successfully defending the lowest 20-over total of 134/8. The previous record was held by Australia in 2021, with a total of 156/6.

Black Caps squander chance for T20 clean sweep

At Hagley Oval, Christchurch: Pakistan 134-8 (Mohammad Rizwan 38 off 38, Fakhar Zaman 33 off 16; Tim Southee 2-19 off four, Ish Sodhi 2-22 off four, Lockie Ferguson 2-24 off four, Matt Henry 2-30 off four) beat Black Caps 92 (Glenn Phillips 26 off 23; Iftikhar Ahmed 3-24 off four) by 42 runs.

The Black Caps have squandered a chance for a T20 series sweep against Pakistan with a horrible batting display.

Chasing a 5-0 whitewash at Christchurch’s Hagley Oval on Sunday, New Zealand were set just 135 for victory.

They turned in a forgettable run chase against some quality Pakistan spin bowling, replying with just 92 in 17.2 overs in a 42-run run loss.

Had New Zealand won, they would have achieved history, trying to become the first side in T20Is to pull off a 5-0 series triumph.

New Zealand crumbled with the bat in the Christchurch sun with their top order - missing star performers Kane Williamson (minor hamstring strain), Devon Conway (Covid-19), and Daryl Mitchell (workload management) - failing to fire.

Pakistan's 134-8 is the lowest 20-over total any team successfully defended in men's T20Is in New Zealand. The previous lowest was 156-6 by Australia in 2021.

Despite the loss, New Zealand still took out the series 4-1, but would have been disappointed to finish with a whimper.

Pakistan’s total of 134-8 looked well short at the halfway mark, but the visitors stepped up with the ball, delivering their best showing in the field for the series.

Run scoring was difficult for New Zealand too, reaching 35-2 from their six-over power play. At the midway mark of their chase, they were 54-3 with plenty of work to do, requiring 81 off 60.

Finn Allen, who has caused Pakistan nightmares in this series, looked lively hitting 22 from 19, but he fell to a smart catch diving forward from Haseebullah Khan.

When Mark Chapman was needlessly run out after a mix up with Tim Seifert, Pakistan were on top with New Zealand reeling at 54-4 in the 11th.

That became 64-5 after a successful lbw review off Iftikhar Ahmed, who hadn’t bowled in his last eight T20Is, sending Seifert on his way. Iftikhar was superb with his part-timers, taking 3-24 from four overs.

Pakistan were grinning the most they had all series after an excellent return grab from Usama Mir to dismiss Mitchell Santner.

While it was mostly comprehensive stuff across the series with bat and ball from New Zealand, tougher

Australia arrive for a much-anticipated three-match T20 series, beginning in Wellington on February 21, in what will be must-watch viewing.

The T20 World Cup in the United States-West Indies in June is the big event in the back of the players’ minds with coach Gary Stead likely having the bulk of his 15-player squad locked in. Fringe places are up for grabs and players will know if they stand out against Australia, they won’t do their World Cup prospects any harm.

Pakistan couldn’t have scripted a worst start with the bat after winning the toss on a glorious Christchurch afternoon, where temperatures reached 27C.

Debutant Haseebullah lasted just three balls, getting tucked up by Tim Southee and undone by the extra bounce, picking out Phillips at point.

Pakistan couldn’t get going during the power play, scoring just 29 runs.

Babar Azam struggled to find any rhythm with the bat, but was gifted two early lives - shelled twice by Mark Chapman, usually a safe pair of hands.

Chapman put down Babar on zero at deep square leg, misjudging his run in when he needed to take an extra step forward.

His second drop was more galling, spilling a sitter at long-off from Santner’s bowling, which went in and out of his hands, with Babar on four.

There was no third life for Babar, who departed for 13, with Ish Sodhi striking with his wrong’un. Babar tried to send the ball into the Hadlee Pavilion but only succeeded in picking out Phillips, who judged the catch well at deep midwicket, ending the 53-run partnership.

Chapman’s bad hands and another woeful Southee lbw review when Fakhar Zaman clearly middled the ball onto his pads were the lone blemishes on a polished bowling effort.

With Pakistan 53-2 after their opening 10 overs, they needed to get a wriggle on to reach a competitive score.

Enter the big-hitting Fakhar, who started to lift the run rate with Mohammad Rizwan, who picked up where he left off on Friday when he scored an unbeaten 90.

Zaman clubbed Lockie Ferguson for two sixes in three balls signalling his intent, scoring 27 runs from his

Every time Pakistan threatened to seize the initiative, New Zealand picked up wickets. Fakhar’s 33-run cameo off 16 balls, ended in soft fashion, lofting one to Ferguson in the deep.

Pakistan were in deep trouble, losing a further two wickets in two balls, across two overs, slumping to 91-5.

Sodhi had his second, removing Mohammad Nawaz, then the set Rizwan went with the first delivery of Matt Henry’s over, leaving them in a rough spot.

Pakistan stuttered through to 134-8, their lowest score of the series, which looked well short against this confident Black Caps batting group. Ultimately, it proved more than enough, though for a long-awaited victory.
SOURCE: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/350153030/black-caps-squander-chance-t20-clean-sweep

Rohit Sharma has never won a T20 WC. Makes him a bad player isn't it. Nor has AB devilliers or so many other greats.
Be logical

Pakistan won this game with Haseebullah opening.

That means Haseebullah is a better opener than Saim according to Dr Saab’s logic.

Rizwan and Babar played every T20 game this series while we benched Saim Ayub and Azam Khan.

The sooner the Babar Rizwan cabal hold on the team is broken the better it will be.

most of the runs in this series were scored by Babar, fakhar and riz. rest of the guys were there just to enjoy.

Glad another torrid series comes to an end. Unfortunately not the result i was hoping for. This just means Shaheen continues at the helm and we would see more clueless captaincy in the near future.

Waiting for Zaka to take credit for the win and absolve himself off the chaos.

I also almost fell victim to the Rizbabar innings hate today, but I had to wait around to watch at least some of NZ batting. Pitch wasn't easy to bat on. Rizwan's inning was the difference otherwise Pak would have been bundled out a lot earlier. Clinical bowling and bowling rotation by Pakistan today. Shaheen actually had some decent captaincy for the first time in this series.

That was me and the difference between the likes of you and me is that I actually watched the "average" all rounders, live in the grounds, smash the opposition and take wickets as well (e.g. the T20 final at Lords in 2009)... there's more to cricket than sitting at home and watching it on tele and acting all high and mighty (text book definition of arm chair critic)...
Afridi, Razzaq and Mahmood were average cricketers. Your criteria of greatness is witnessing a few sixes in T20s which shows the level of Pakistani fans and of Pakistani players.

Pakistan has always been a mediocre cricket nation and it has glorifed mediocre cricketers. Pakistan has only produced a handful of elite cricketers.

A nation that glorifies cricketers like Afridi and Razzaq exposes its cricket culture and the standards.

😃 Must be embarassing isn't it.
Our cricket has gone down over the past couple of decades and that's why it easy to make predictions about their failures. But understanding this intricate game is not everyone's cup of tea.
I agree. This is why I keep saying that Pakistani fans are the most ignorant fans in the world, they don’t know anything about cricket.

Fans, players, ex-players, media. None of the stakeholders in Pakistan cricket have any cricketing acumen. An intellectually bankrupt cricket nation.

I also almost fell victim to the Rizbabar innings hate today, but I had to wait around to watch at least some of NZ batting. Pitch wasn't easy to bat on. Rizwan's inning was the difference otherwise Pak would have been bundled out a lot earlier. Clinical bowling and bowling rotation by Pakistan today. Shaheen actually had some decent captaincy for the first time in this series.
But Rizwan is the problem for our team according to some people here

Last edited by a moderator:
Back