Pakistan batters versus Jofra Archer - Part 2

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
He's in the World Cup squad and may well be in the playing XI versus the visiting Pakistan side.

All indications are that he is very close to his rapid best - so another challenge for our guys - but who will come out on top?

==

Jofra Archer was named in England's T20 World Cup squad for the tournament beginning next month but has very little professional cricket up his sleeve after the stress fracture that saw him sidelined last year.

In a lively spell for Sussex's second XI, after being parachuted in for the fourth day's play, Archer took a wicket in six impressive overs.

Archer last played for England on the tours of South Africa and Bangladesh in 2023, after missing England's title-winning T20 World Cup campaign in 2022, but even then he was on a comeback trail.

Archer hit his straps in terms of pace and bounce, and his sharp spell strengthened the belief that the seamer could finally be ready for some international action when England take on Pakistan next week in a bilateral series ahead of the T20 World Cup.

Skipper Jos Buttler was pleased with Archer's showing, but chose to play down expectations around Archer ahead of the big tournament.

"Everyone knows what he is capable of and the attitude he possesses," Buttler told the PA Media.

"As a captain he is someone you can always turn to in a game because he always has a trick up his sleeve.

"It's great to be able to call on him but it's important to manage expectations. He has been out of it for a while now so we will need to look after him and realise that it might just take him a little while to be the Jofra of 2019.

"He is a proper superstar but we do have to be smart with him. It's a jump in intensity from what he's doing now to international cricket and you can't really replicate it."

England are drawn in Group B at the T20 World Cup alongside Australia, Namibia, Scotland and Oman.

ICC

Jofra Archer coming back from injury don't think he will be good as he used to be

He done well last time against us. I think Haris Sohail handled him ok.

Depends upon how fit is he now. Hard to believe he would be bowling with the same venom he was spitting a couple of years ago.

Archer will be a huge issue for Pakistan. As I said England will win 4-0

Bigger question is how English batters will cope with fast and furious bowlers like Shaheen, Naseem, Aamir and Rauf.

Shaheen and Aamir will do better. English batters don't play left arm pace well.
Don’t believe so. Shaheen doesn’t have that many tricks in his arsenal. Batsmen know when in rhythm Shaheen bowls good Yorkers, so they are ready for that ball and ramp him six over the fine leg.

Aamir has become a gentle medium pacer. He has tricks and is smart but doesn’t possess the pace to trouble batsmen anymore.

Tearaway pacers in majority have terrorised Pak batsmen over the years and our players get caught off guard on numerous occasions in recent past barring UmarAkmal Asad Shafiq and Babar Azam there isn't a single name worth a mention.

Shaun Tait, Brett Lee, Morne Morkel, Dale Steyn, Pat Cummins, Starc, Woakes etc to name a few always had an upper hand on Pakistan batting lineup

Jorfa has been hyped too much. This guy is coming off an injury and is not in the game for a long time now. He needs a few games to get his rhythm back for the international scene. I know, he is tall and has got deceptive pace but still, coming back after injury is never easy.

Jorfa has been hyped too much. This guy is coming off an injury and is not in the game for a long time now. He needs a few games to get his rhythm back for the international scene. I know, he is tall and has got deceptive pace but still, coming back after injury is never easy.

i don't think we are in a position to write off any bowler from any of the top teams when rizwan and babar just managed to to level a series vs newzealnd c team and just lost to ireland

Babar plays quote well on the back foot so he will handle his bounce quite easily, Fakhar will strugle the most against him.

Jofra Archer will bring a "fear factor" to England's bowling attack when he returns this month, says team-mate Sam Curran

Archer, 29, is in line to play his first match for England in more than a year during the four-match T20 series against Pakistan, which starts on Wednesday at Headingley.

The fast bowler, whose career has been hampered by a series of injuries in recent years, is also in England's provisional squad for the T20 World Cup in June.

"It’s incredibly exciting," all-rounder Curran said.

"I’m sure England fans and players are extremely buzzed to have him back. He’s an addition no side can turn down."

Archer, who took a wicket for Sussex's second XI last week and has been building up his fitness by playing club cricket in Barbados, took part in England training in Leeds on Monday.

It is hoped he will play in up to three of the four T20s against Pakistan, although there is a poor weather forecast for Wednesday's series opener and England would be wary of taking risks with him on a greasy outfield.

The series is England's only preparation for the World Cup, which they go into as defending champions.

"He’s obviously got that extra pace and fear factor we can bring to opposition as well," Curran said.

"Hopefully his injuries are behind him now."

Archer made a thrilling start to international cricket in 2019, bowling the super over in England's World Cup final win and impressing in the Ashes against Australia later that summer.

But he has since suffered stress fractures in his back while a recurring elbow issue, which resurfaced last May, ruled him out of the 2023 summer.

He last featured for England in March 2023 but has not played an international at home since September 2020, against Australia.

Coach Matthew Mott was not at training because of a family issue but hopes to join the squad in the next 24 hours.

Captain Jos Buttler, whose wife is expecting their third child, was present but could miss a match later in the series, or potentially at the World Cup.

All-rounder Liam Livingstone had his knee heavily strapped on Monday as he manages a problem which forced him to leave the Indian Premier League early.

Source: BBC

He should be having sleepless nights nervous and worrying about the prospect of facing the fearless duo of Bab-Ri.

Hope the barrage of "no look hacks" that Saim is going to unleash on him are not so traumatic as to disturb his mental health. :inti

seems like Jofra Archer will play against Pakistan in the 1st T20I after a long break.

It's bad luck for Pakistan that he got fit in time to play against them. :ROFLMAO:

Jos Buttler shared his views on Jofra Archer earlier today in a media talk:

"I think we just have to manage him through and see how it goes but he's fully fit now which is really exciting."

"He has a big smile on his face. It's great to see him back fit and bowling fast - and just having him back around the group. I know how much he has missed that."

"We've got to temper expectations, he's been out of international cricket for a long time and you can never quite replicate that, but we all know what a superstar he has been"

"Any player of Jofra's calibre is a huge asset to any team, so absolutely it makes us a better side and gives us a better and gives us a better chance of winning games."

"But we're not expecting too much from him too soon. It's important that he just enjoys being back and playing cricket. As England captain, and as a fan, people want to see Jofra playing cricket which is going to be great."

Buttler: Archer looks fit and ready

England captain Jos Buttler:

"We would have chased as well. It looks a good wicket.

"I'm really excited [for Jofra]. It has been a long road for him, but he has worked hard. He looks great, he looks fit and ready to get out there in an England shirt again.

"We want to win this series, we want to play really good cricket here - really focus on the here and now, with the World Cup round the corner."

Archer: Great to be back

And here is Jofra Archer chat with Eoin Morgan...

"I want to get out there first before I tell you how I feel, but being around the guys has been really refreshing.

"I have been rehabbing for as long as I can remember now so it's great to be back.

"I have been bowling since November properly, but the step up there's always that 10 per cent more intensity you put in, especially in big games.

"Hopefully I get through today and the other two games and I get myself on the plane [for T20 World Cup]."

Back