PCB announces a new selection committee comprising former cricketers Wahab Riaz, Mohammad Yousuf, Abdul Razzaq, and Asad Shafiq [Post Updated #24]

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
PCB chief Mohsin Naqvi during a press conference on Monday talked about a revamped selection committee:

"I don't want to get involved in appointing the captain, team and all that. I will be revamping the national selection committee and will give it more authority and independence to take cricket related decisions"

"The revamped selection committee will, after discussions with the team's head coach, recommend the captain and team. I want the selection committee, coach and captain to be independent to make decisions which they feel are best for the Pakistan team"

"My job is to govern and administrate the board affairs properly to facilitate the players, he added.
Naqvi said the board was in final talks with a candidate to take over as Pakistan's head coach."

"Our team is talking to this person and I don't want to take his name before everything is finalized,"

"We were also in talks with Shane Watson and one reason for him not accepting the offer was because so many things leaked out in the media most of which were not correct."

"I don't want to get involved in appointing the captain, team and all that. I will be revamping the national selection committee and will give it more authority and independence to take cricket related decisions, PCB chief Mohsin Naqvi said on Monday during a press conference here.

"The revamped selection committee will, after discussions with the team's head coach, recommend the captain and team. I want the selection committee, coach and captain to be independent to make decisions which they feel are best for the Pakistan team"

"My job is to govern and administrate the board affairs properly to facilitate the players, he added.
Naqvi said the board was in final talks with a candidate to take over as Pakistan's head coach."

"Our team is talking to this person and I don't want to take his name before everything is finalized," he said.
"We were also in talks with Shane Watson and one reason for him not accepting the offer was because so many things leaked out in the media most of which were not correct.

Naqvi said he wants to improve the domestic cricket structure and establish a system in which talented players are not only spotted early on but get opportunities to play and also be groomed for future.
Who will call the final shots?

Wahab will be calling all the shots as far as Cricketing affairs are concerned. Wonder if Wahab will take all his revenge and badlay now.

It should always be like that and chairman should review the selection committee periodically but their decisions should always be independent. The chairman has no business doing/making any cricket decisions in all honesty, that role should be more focused on business decisions, financial sustainability & profit driven while cricket hires are made to run cricket.

In theory it sounds good but will it be an actual reality. I have my doubts.

Mohsin Naqvi I will send Karachi style biryani to your house just don’t select Chacha for International.
He had a good stint in the PSL. He will play for Pakistan Inshallah.

The selection committee should always be free from any interference so in the end there is somebody who can be held responsible in case the thing goes sideways. When there is interference then people will try to put blame on each other. Let's see if it is just talking stuff or actually things do work on the ground as well like he said.

Mosin Naqvi is a guy who can't stay away from such matters.

I am sure he will try to influence the selection committee to include his 'Yes sir' type people.

Chairman PCB emphasises importance of merit in national selection

Chairman PCB Mohsin Naqvi met National Men’s Chief Selector Wahab Riaz at the headquarters of Pakistan Cricket at Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore, to discuss matters related to national selection and preparation for the home T20I series against New Zealand. COO PCB Salman Naseer and Director International PCB Usman Wahla also attended the meeting.

Another agenda of the meeting also involved the selection of players for a fitness and conditioning camp in Kakul, Abbottabad, set to commence later next week. The chairman instructed to assemble a pool of players based on merit and performance.
Chief Selector Wahab Riaz also presented a detailed report regarding the performances of various players in the recently concluded HBL PSL 9.

Chairman PCB Mohsin Naqvi: “A pool of players selected purely on merit and performances will possess the ability to perform well at the highest level. The high performers of HBL PSL 9 should also be kept in mind and rewarded for their performances.”

Chairman PCB emphasises importance of merit in national selection

Chairman PCB Mohsin Naqvi met National Men’s Chief Selector Wahab Riaz at the headquarters of Pakistan Cricket at Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore, to discuss matters related to national selection and preparation for the home T20I series against New Zealand. COO PCB Salman Naseer and Director International PCB Usman Wahla also attended the meeting.

Another agenda of the meeting also involved the selection of players for a fitness and conditioning camp in Kakul, Abbottabad, set to commence later next week. The chairman instructed to assemble a pool of players based on merit and performance.
Chief Selector Wahab Riaz also presented a detailed report regarding the performances of various players in the recently concluded HBL PSL 9.

Chairman PCB Mohsin Naqvi: “A pool of players selected purely on merit and performances will possess the ability to perform well at the highest level. The high performers of HBL PSL 9 should also be kept in mind and rewarded for their performances.”
Just like in politics. The public select on merit but complete losers stole their mandates. Mr Naqvi who are the thieves?

PCB chief Mohsin Naqvi during a press conference on Monday talked about a revamped selection committee:

"I don't want to get involved in appointing the captain, team and all that. I will be revamping the national selection committee and will give it more authority and independence to take cricket related decisions"

"Our team is talking to this person and I don't want to take his name before everything is finalized,"

"We were also in talks with Shane Watson and one reason for him not accepting the offer was because so many things leaked out in the media most of which were not correct."
Just like he became the chairman PCB on merit. LoL

As per reports:

Abdul Razzaq, known for his versatile all-rounder role in Pakistan cricket, was reportedly invited by Chief Selector Wahab Riaz to serve in a position within the board. After a discussion with PCB Chairman Mohsin Khan, Razzaq has consented to undertake duties within the committee, with the goal of utilizing his vast experience to enhance the sport in the country.​

The current selection committee of the Pakistan Cricket Board has been dissolved.

The announcement of the new selection committee will be made soon.

The new selection committee will make independent decisions based on merit for team selection.

The merit-based decisions of the new selection committee will be transparent.

SOURCE: PCB Spokesperson

It feels like this happens every few months.

I just want a good selection committee selected and then given a solid run so that way we can actually evaluate them properly instead of changing them every couple of series.

I think Wahab will keep his place and the rest of the members will be a goner. Razzaq will be one of the new members to be on the new selection committee.

Four Test cricketers named in seven-member men’s selection committee

Chairman PCB Mohsin Naqvi announced the men’s selection committee during a press conference at the headquarters of Pakistan Cricket, Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore.

The selection committee comprises seven members including former Test players, Wahab Riaz, Mohammad Yousuf, Abdul Razzaq and Asad Shafiq while the captain and coach of the respective national men’s team will also be part of the committee. The seventh member will be a data analyst, who will be responsible for providing the members with statistics and data to help in the selection.

Wahab Riaz, who played 27 Tests, 91 ODIs and 36 T20Is, was the chairman of the former selection committee. Mohammad Yousuf formerly led the Pakistan Men’s U19 team as head coach in the ACC U19 Asia Cup and the ICC Men’s U19 World Cup 2024.

Yousuf represented Pakistan in 90 Tests, 288 ODIs and three T20Is.

Asad Shafiq, who recently announced his retirement from competitive cricket, played 77 Tests, 60 ODIs and 10 T20Is for Pakistan in a ten-year international career. Abdul Razzaq played 46 Tests, 265 ODIs and 32 T20Is in his career.

The selection committee will not have any chairman with each member having equal power and the same committee will also be responsible for the selection of the U19 and A team other than the national selection affairs.

Chairman PCB Mohsin Naqvi: “I have mandated the seven-member selection committee, comprising of four former Test players, with the powers to select the national men’s teams for international cricket. I will not interfere with the working of the selection committee. They are experienced and professional in their domain and I am confident that they will do their job with dedication and honesty.”

Last edited:
Well this is excellent news. Former cricketers with good modern experience given a go to select. Good bye to the dinosaurs.

Selection Committee feels like OJ Simpson’s dream team of lawyers

Not happy with Yousuf being on it tbf, he is a Dosti Yaari protector

PCB has reorganized its selection committee by abolishing the chairman's post and empowering selectors to choose the captain and head coach of the national team. Will this experiment by PCB prove successful?

PCB has reorganized its selection committee by abolishing the chairman's post and empowering selectors to choose the captain and head coach of the national team. Will this experiment by PCB prove successful?
It’s a very important move

It means that the selectors can pick the best XI who they deem is right for Pakistan, and the chairman out of his likes and dislikes cannot be an obstacle in signing off the team.

I’m am 1000% sure that the selectors and coaching staff wanted Sharjeel Khan to feature for Pakistan in the 2021-22/3 squad but Ramiz Raja out of his weird obsession of wanting a team that looks aesthetically pleasing to the eye was finding every reason under the sun to not have him there. Also Najam Sethi because of his own personal gripe with him having been challenged in court by Sharjeel for his spot fixing claims was not willing to move on.

Now it’s not the Chairman’s personal likes or dislikes

I'm just glad there aren't any fixers and dinosaurs, and the toxicity has been kept to a minimum in the form of Razzaq.

An interesting point Mr. Naqvi made that all the money will be spent in the development of Cricket in Pakistan and on the players.

He said he won't shy away and in the time of his exit, he won't be bothered if PCB Treasury goes empty even.

And one more thing, it will decrease the chances of favoritism.

The selection committee comprises seven members including former Test players, Wahab Riaz, Mohammad Yousuf, Abdul Razzaq and Asad Shafiq

2x Batsman, 1x Fast Bowler, 1x All Rounder

2x Spinner Leg/Off

I don't like any of these individuals but hopefully they can come together and do some good.

I think the PCB should take the bold move and make an entirely separate committee for T20 cricket. Maybe try to replicate the franchise model at international T20 level.

The biggest thing to come out of this is that there is no chairman but 7 people with majority vote being the final call. I dont trust Wahab to be the end and all of Pakistan cricket, so i am in support of this new model. Mohsin Naqvi doing some good work!

7 is far too excessive.

Too many cooks and all that.

There already 400 plus fake admin staff we need to cut this nonsense out not increase the numbers.

Look, did we ever have a good selection committee? We’ve all complained in the past, so let’s see how this works. I don’t think 7 is too much, this is a good committee and I like that there’s a data analyst in there as well.

We are forever experimenting with nonsensical ideas, just in the hope that they come off. There should be a Director of Cricket and he should appoint talent scouts but ultimately he chooses the squad and then gives to the captain, who then chooses the final 11. This way there is clear areas of responsibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abdul Razzaq on why the selection committee chose Babar Azam as the white ball captain:

"When I got this job opportunity then one thing we were supposed to do was justice that is good for everyone. So we choose Babar (Azam) the best option. Things are different when you are on TV and when you do actually get the responsibility. So when we came here the best choice we found (for captaincy) was Babar Azam"

Mohammad Yousuf, while justifying the appointment of the new selection committee during the press conference on Tuesday, openly revealed Kirsten's appointment as head coach. He said:

"Asad Shafiq is from Karachi, Gary Kirsten is from South Africa. This isn't my decision. Everyone is a good cricketer here - who is here undeservedly? Abdul Razzaq is the best all-rounder Pakistan ever produced. Asad Shafiq played 80 Tests and performed everywhere. Wahab Riaz's performances are there for everyone to see. He (Bilal Afzal) is the best person for data. Nowadays, data is very important. If we don't have data, how do we know who is doing what? The captain is also part of the committee and Gary Kirsten is our head coach,"

Clueless?

basoWNY.png

Back