Pakistan U-19 (284/9) defeat Afghanistan U-19 (103) by a big margin of 181 runs in their inaugural match of the ICC Men Under-19 World Cup 2024

Saad saying to Asfand that shall I remove the slip and put it fine leg as your bowl is only coming in , Asfand said no and then bowled another darter and hit for a boundary

Giant Zeeshan gets sweet revenge. After being bit for in previous over he castles the batsman with a beautiful in-cutter

What a beauty from Ubaid to peg back the middle stump. Seaming the old ball around too

Ali Asfand will be future captain for Pakistan. Its shameful that players like this keep getting selected again and again

Afghanistan defeated England easily in the Warm up match and Pakistan lost to Englad in the warm up match and today Pakistan outclassed AFG. Allthough there is big difference between warm ups and real matches I think Pakistan just had an off day against Poms or did not take it seriously.

For me the favourites are Pakistan, India and home team SA. BD are a good side but I think they are struggling with the bounce and pace of the wickets in SA.

Hopefully they bowl first and restrict Afg to low score and chase it , Pak bowling looks really weak with no wicket takers and batting needs to be clicked regularly in order to have any chance in this worldcup
Pakistan bowling isnt bad.They have Ubaid who can seam the ball and then they have extra bounce in Zeeshan.

Ubaid has really improved since Asia cup , he has started bowling Asif’s length as I told earlier and seems to have increased his pace as well or may be it’s the SAF pitches which making him look quick but I still I think he is touching 135k every now and then.

Pakistan U-19 defeat Afghanistan U-19 in an emphatic manner and with a big margin of 181 runs

Pakistan skipper Saad Baig won the toss and opted to bat first in East London. The Pakistan openers were patient against the new-ball pairing of Bashir Ahmad and Allah Mohammad Ghanzafar. However, the early good work was undone by Khalil Ahmed. The pacer picked two wickets in his first two overs, including Shamyl Hossain (17) and Azan Awais (5). Captain Baig counter-attacked at number four, particularly taking on the Afghanistan spinners, hitting four sixes during his stay.

He was eventually cleaned up by a beauty from Ghanzafar in the 28th over. Ahmed Hussain fell soon after, as Pakistan's scoring rate was stifled over the next few overs. However, around the 35th over mark, Shahzaib Khan and Muhammad Riazullah let out a number of attacking shots to get Pakistan back in the game. They finished the second Powerplay with a four and began the last stretch with a flurry of big strokes. By the time Riazullah fell, the duo had added 84 at run-a-ball.

Shahzaib's aggression bore results for the Boys in Green. He reached his hundred in the 48th over, while Pakistan added 84 runs in the last 10.

Pakistan pacers were right on mark with the new ball. Wafiullah Tarakhil (0) and Jamshid Zadran (1) fell to Amir Hassan and Ubaid Shah respectively, even as Afghanistan stood at 2/2. Hassan Eisakhil steadied Afghanistan along with Sohail Khan Zurmati. The duo hit six boundaries in the first Powerplay, to keep Afghanistan's run rate closer to four. Ubaid struck once more in the 10th over, to leave Pakistan in a strong position.

Disciplined bowling from the Pakistan pacers ensured that wickets fell at regular intervals. Ahmad Hassan cleaned up Zurmati with a slower one, the giant Mohammad Zeeshan caught a near-perfect length and brought about the downfall of the Afghanistan lower-order by sticking to that area. Afghanistan were skittled out for merely 103.

Source : ICC

Solid win and hopefully one that the team will take not for granted.

This probably one of the most talented U-19 batch Pakistan ever had.
Who is the Haider Ali , Naseem Shah , Shaheen , Amir , umar akmal , ahmed shehzad of this lot? I am not seeing any prodigy here except for Zeeshan even he is not extra ordinary

And all those prodigies I mentioned didn’t make it big in international despite all the talent , so what to expect from this hype less lot?

Who is the Haider Ali , Naseem Shah , Shaheen , Amir , umar akmal , ahmed shehzad of this lot? I am not seeing any prodigy here except for Zeeshan even he is not extra ordinary

And all those prodigies I mentioned didn’t make it big in international despite all the talent , so what to expect from this hype less lot?
Unfair to put Naseem and Shaheen in the same bracket as the players you've mentioned. They have not played nearly as much and have had decent starts to their international careers. And there's a difference between a prodigy and talent. Babar was a prodigy. You can see that he didn't fade away. Umar Akmal was a prodigy. He gave some great years to Pak despite being the cause of his downfall. Same with Amir. Shaheen was a prodigy and he's been the spearhead of Pak's attack for years now. His regression is quite significantly due to the incompetence of the board

Unfair to put Naseem and Shaheen in the same bracket as the players you've mentioned. They have not played nearly as much and have had decent starts to their international careers. And there's a difference between a prodigy and talent. Babar was a prodigy. You can see that he didn't fade away. Umar Akmal was a prodigy. He gave some great years to Pak despite being the cause of his downfall. Same with Amir. Shaheen was a prodigy and he's been the spearhead of Pak's attack for years now. His regression is quite significantly due to the incompetence of the board
This is not the point who made it big or not the point is their talent was visible at U19 level and the current lot just doesn’t possess the same talent which is apparent even they are winning the games.

You expect 2/3 players from the U19 side to absolutely dominate the competition and their talent speaks for themselves even when they don’t perform in some games , just see Maphaka for example, even if he goes for 60+ runs without any wicket you will still be sure that he will play for Saf national team in an year or two , but I am not seeing such type of talent from Pak U19 side. Yes even Ubaid picked up 4 wickets today but if given an option to choose between Maphaka and Ubaid you already know the answer , on the other hand if Ubaid was bowling like Naseem used to do then we would have called him next real talent from Pak.

Shahzaib scored a century but looked clueless at the start again Afg bowlers and he didn’t last 3 balls against Maphaka in the warmups so is he the next big thing from Pak , clearly the answer is no.

Pakistan U-19 defeat Afghanistan U-19 in an emphatic manner and with a big margin of 181 runs

Pakistan skipper Saad Baig won the toss and opted to bat first in East London. The Pakistan openers were patient against the new-ball pairing of Bashir Ahmad and Allah Mohammad Ghanzafar. However, the early good work was undone by Khalil Ahmed. The pacer picked two wickets in his first two overs, including Shamyl Hossain (17) and Azan Awais (5). Captain Baig counter-attacked at number four, particularly taking on the Afghanistan spinners, hitting four sixes during his stay.

He was eventually cleaned up by a beauty from Ghanzafar in the 28th over. Ahmed Hussain fell soon after, as Pakistan's scoring rate was stifled over the next few overs. However, around the 35th over mark, Shahzaib Khan and Muhammad Riazullah let out a number of attacking shots to get Pakistan back in the game. They finished the second Powerplay with a four and began the last stretch with a flurry of big strokes. By the time Riazullah fell, the duo had added 84 at run-a-ball.

Shahzaib's aggression bore results for the Boys in Green. He reached his hundred in the 48th over, while Pakistan added 84 runs in the last 10.

Pakistan pacers were right on mark with the new ball. Wafiullah Tarakhil (0) and Jamshid Zadran (1) fell to Amir Hassan and Ubaid Shah respectively, even as Afghanistan stood at 2/2. Hassan Eisakhil steadied Afghanistan along with Sohail Khan Zurmati. The duo hit six boundaries in the first Powerplay, to keep Afghanistan's run rate closer to four. Ubaid struck once more in the 10th over, to leave Pakistan in a strong position.

Disciplined bowling from the Pakistan pacers ensured that wickets fell at regular intervals. Ahmad Hassan cleaned up Zurmati with a slower one, the giant Mohammad Zeeshan caught a near-perfect length and brought about the downfall of the Afghanistan lower-order by sticking to that area. Afghanistan were skittled out for merely 103.

Source : ICC

Highlights

Back