Pakistan v West Indies | 3rd ODI | Abu Dhabi | 16/11/08 | Pak Innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poison

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
Hour and a half to go to the dead rubber, but I'm happy just to watch Pakistan play cricket personally:) I've a feeling the same side will be selected, unless Shoaib can somehow pull himself together. Tipping a big knock from Afridi today. :afridi

Eye on the future in dead rubber

Cricinfo staff

November 15, 2008

Will Brendan Nash get another chance? © Eddie Norfolk

Match facts
Nov 16, 2008
Start time 3pm (1100 GMT)

Big Picture
The series is in hand but having faced a lot of criticism since he was appointed captain last year, Shoaib Malik will be keen to complete a whitewash to boost the side's confidence ahead of India's tour of Pakistan early next year. The first two matches have been fairly close, with West Indies holding the edge at half-time. A nerveless performance from Kamran Akmal, when his side needed 17 off the last over, gave Pakistan the series lead while a disciplined and tight performance from the seamers handed them the series win. It's now time for the others to step up.

West Indies are not unfamiliar with a series whitewash, having lost 5-0 to Australia at home only five months back. But they head to New Zealand in December and will prefer to have a win under their belt before tackling the month-long tour. Players from both sides will want to use the dead rubber to make a case for selection for future series.

Form guide (last 5 ODIs)
Pakistan WWWWL
West Indies LLWWW

Watch out for
Saeed Ajmal: He dropped two catches off Shivnarine Chanderpaul but also picked up a wicket while bowling an economical nine overs for 38 runs. He made his ODI debut against India in the Asia Cup and will be keen to make the squad for the five-match one-day series against the same opposition in February 2009.

Sohail Tanvir: He troubled the West Indies batsmen by swinging the ball both ways and dismissed the openers, Chris Gayle and Sewnarine Chattergoon, for ducks in the second game.

Shivnarine Chanderpaul: He averages 84 in his previous 10 ODIs but his only century in those games came in Friday's loss. He will hope for another big score, preferably one that will not only keep him on top of the run-getters list but also hand West Indies a consolatory win.

Team news
Pakistan are unlikely to change a winning combination despite it being a dead rubber. Saeed Ajmal is likely to keep his place over Fawad Alam, who went wicketless in the first match, as is Iftikhar Anjum, who was unlucky not get more than one wicket in the second ODI - Chanderpaul was dropped off his bowling. Malik said Shoaib Akhtar was struggling with a calf injury and his fitness will be assessed ahead of the final match. But Pakistan would not want to risk straining Shoaib in a match that holds no consequence for them.

Pakistan (probable): 1 Salman Butt, 2 Khurram Manzoor, 3 Younis Khan, 4 Misbah-ul Haq, 5 Shoaib Malik (capt), 6 Kamran Akmal (wk), 7 Shahid Afridi, 8 Sohail Tanvir, 9 Iftikhar Anjum, 10 Umar Gul, 11 Saeed Ajmal.

Will West Indies give another chance to Brendan Nash, who was run out for 9 in the first game? Nash, who moved to Jamaica after not receiving a contract with Queensland in 2007, was called up to the Test squad against New Zealand. Although Nash is more of an accumulator than a one-day dasher, Gayle may want to give him some experience before the Test tour.

West Indies (probable): 1 Chris Gayle (capt), 2 Sewnarine Chattergoon, 3 Ramnaresh Sarwan, 4 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 5 Xavier Marshall, 6 Carlton Baugh (wk), 7 Brendan Nash, 8 Jerome Taylor, 9 Daren Powell, 10 Nikita Miller, 11 Lionel Baker.

Stats & Trivia

* Sohail Tanvir has been the most economical bowler among those who have bowled more than 15 overs in the series so far. He has conceded 3.89 an over for his five wickets at 14.80. Lionel Baker is the next-best, having given away 4.31 an over for four wickets at 20.50.

* In the second ODI, Pakistan gave away 22 extras while West Indies conceded only six.

Quotes
"We will do our best because my aim has always been to improve and be among the world's top two teams. Here is an opportunity for us to do that."
Shoaib Malik is keen to push for a 3-0 scoreline

Cricinfo preview.

http://content-pak.cricinfo.com/pakvwi/content/current/story/378372.html

This is the last chance to try some players before we play India!

I dont think the last XI will be a good Test team. They would probably still go with the winning combination with Rao, who can be a fine ODI bowler at times, but definitely not Test material.

Definite air of excitement here on PP, with 15 minutes left till the toss. :afridi
Hahah, I agree with lollol, and Boi.:)

Whoever gets the team news 1st, please post here ASAP :)

Oxy said:
Whoever gets the team news 1st, please post here ASAP :)
haha Oxy. Something to do with the Fantasy cricket ? :)

News anybody? CricIndia hasn't updated at all.

Dont expect Cricinfo to mention this already, they arent at the ground, so they will only inform about the toss etc after it has aired...

And dont expect GEO (most of the users here) to show anything about the toss, as they will start @ 11.00 PM GMT.

Probably someone will TEN Sports should know more about the toss/team selection

Saj said:
haha Oxy. Something to do with the Fantasy cricket ? :)

What makes you say that? I'm out all day, so want catch any of this until about 5pm - if they are still playing then!

Might stick the ICL final on record though - might be a 'spicy' encounter!

Good day wherever you are and welcome to Cricinfo's coverage of the third and final ODI between Pakistan and West Indies in Abu Dhabi. This is Kanishkaa Balachandran taking you through the first couple of hours at least, before Osman Samiuddin takes over. Fortunately, the dead rubber today isn't overshadowed by any other international game so sit back and enjoy.

Ten Sports are currently showing some random Aussie Football match!!

lol!

Good day wherever you are and welcome to Cricinfo's coverage of the third and final ODI between Pakistan and West Indies in Abu Dhabi. This is Kanishkaa Balachandran taking you through the first couple of hours at least, before Osman Samiuddin takes over. Fortunately, the dead rubber today isn't overshadowed by any other international game so sit back and enjoy.

He hasnt done many live commentary afaik

Toss Pakistan have won the toss and will bat first.

Pakistan have won the toss and are batting first.

hashman said:
when exactly did akhtar pick up this injury.
At the airport as he boarded the plane. Also the 2 hour plane journey was too much for his body to take !

At training.
Haha its hilarious aye, he got basically a free holiday to Abu Dhabi.

What do u guys expect with his body, reminds me of a majj i had in Pakistan

Will someone be able to take a good screen shot of the back of roa's shirt? It says "ROA IFTIKHAR". What a lege, he reads this forum.

Akhtar had declared himself fit, but Malik didnt play him

Probably didnt wanted to take the risk

Damn, Akhtar would've been superb alongside Gul and Tanvir today.
Good keeping start from Marshall.

YESSS!!!
We're batting first

Sooo excited :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Pity Akhtar isn't playing, really REALLY wanted to see him

y doesnt Y.Khan just open the batting, hes generally in within the first 5 overs

Lovely! Bichardi Butt OUT for a Duck. The usual flash of the blade. The minnow basher keeps confirming his ineptitude.

lollol said:
Akhtar had declared himself fit, but Malik didnt play him

Probably didnt wanted to take the risk
Akhtar the passenger. :akhtar

Teams..

Attachments

• New Picture.bmp
    333.5 KB · Views: 50
For some reason, my excitement for this game is monstrous, truly monstrous :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Go Pak!

Kill them!

hashman said:
y doesnt Y.Khan just open the batting, hes generally in within the first 5 overs

That is actually quite a good idea.

I sincerely hope Khurram Manzoor scores REALLY big today. Otherwise certain PP'ers will label him like they've labelled :butt.

4/1 1 overs... pak should look to get 250 which should be enough... should play responsibly initially and then start taking risks

Manzoor not showing great technique there, doesn't inspire a lot of confidence as an opener. Why can't we find any good openers in Pakistan?

Salman Butt is totally crap. He only scored runs against the minnows and those runs were piled up when catches were dropped. Do you think good opposition would drop catches. No. Get rid of him. I don't understand why so much people give him credit, he has done nothing special apart from centuries against India.

DAmn - Butt is my Fantasy XI opener & Skipper today :(

Was banking on him making a bi, winning score today.

Are my fantasy XI dreams in tatters?

Boi said:
Salman Butt is in really bad form!!

For how long will we say that to ourselves... he just cant play anyone other than india and bangladesh

Sparhawk said:
Manzoor not showing great technique there, doesn't inspire a lot of confidence as an opener. Why can't we find any good openers in Pakistan?
:)))

I think its good for manzoor to play alongside Younis.
Younis can guide him how to build innings.lets hope Khurram will make a good score today.

Pakistan attack today (as indeed in the last match):

AFRIDI
TANVIR
IFTIKHAR
AJMAL
GUL

ATI AG (the approaching fire)

West Indies should be very afraid.

Boi said:
Salman Butt is in really bad form!!

Just face it you Butt lovers it is not form, it is the fact that there are a couple of half decent bowlers facing him and they keep showing up his inefficiencies.

The ball he got out to was there to be cover driven to the fence. He just poked at it as usual. At least Farhat used to flash hard and get out. Not that I rate farhat any better.

Momo said:

AFRIDI
TANVIR
IFTIKHAR
AJMAL
GUL

:))) :))) :))) :))) :)))

Momo said:

AFRIDI
TANVIR
IFTIKHAR
AJMAL
GUL

:)))

you are quite violent my brother....quite violent :afridi

Ghoshtbuster said:

Well i may be wrong but with his technique i dont think Manzoor would do well on seaming pitches. (and you know im probably right about that :younis )

Sparhawk said:

Nasir Jamshed seems like a reasonable prospect, we have to see how he does outside Pakistan though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back