Pakistan vs Bangladesh | 2nd Test | Rawalpindi | August 30 - September 03 | Pre-Match Discussion

I still don't understand why we can't throw Rizwan, Babar and Shaheen out.

What is the worst that could happen?

We will lose?

We are losing anyways.
First name on that list should be Shan Masood. Rizwan and Babar will only leave when they retire

Pakistan will win this one and level the series. But the harm to WTC chances is already done... or do they have any chance to qualify?

Pakistan should bench Shaheen, Abdullah and Saim for sure. Abrar needs to play, huraira and Kamran should also play this game.

Update:

Training sessions have been cancelled for both teams due to rain in Rawalpindi.

kbhcgBg.jpeg

Bangladesh to win comfortably again strong in every department pace spin batting.. w/k is equal.

Pakistan has announced a 12-member squad for the 2nd test against Bangladesh. Surprise surprise.

qLA7uTM.jpeg

Pakistan will win this one and level the series. But the harm to WTC chances is already done... or do they have any chance to qualify?
8 wins in 8 matches will ensure a place in the final

7 wins, they will have a chance defending on other results

Shaheen Afridi dropped!

Last edited by a moderator:
8 wins in 8 matches will ensure a place in the final

7 wins, they will have a chance defending on other results

It's over for them. They should have ideally won atleast a Test in Australia and took the momentum from there on but they ended up choking in Melbourne and Sydney.

No way England aren't beating them 2-1 atleast.

It's over for them. They should have ideally won atleast a Test in Australia and took the momentum from there on but they ended up choking in Melbourne and Sydney.

No way England aren't beating them 2-1 atleast.
You can never rule out Pakistan. The real Pakistan can turn up any time.

I think Mir will play not Ali. Shaheen has he left the squad?
Yeah, better to play Hamza to keep a left armer in the team, and he can be effective as well.

Also good that Abrar will play this game.

Last edited:
We will loose all 8 matches as trouble maker like Babar still there.

Almost game time. Less than 24 hours to go.

I checked the weather forecasts online. There are chances of rain on Day 1 and Day 5.

Apart from Rizwan and Saud all are walking wicket. Should get rid of Saim and Salman at least.

Is Shaheen dropped or rested? Any word if he will continue to be in test side

Cant understand the selection of salman agha. He appeals to be such a non serious cricketer. Never give his best. why cant they play a proper batsmen. A test cricker is made for 6 proper batsmen, 1 WK, 4 bowlers.

Overhyped shaheen is just living on his 2 wickets he took in 2021 T20 WC against India. Other than that he dont have much in his portfolio. He is a rubbish test match bowler. I think he is only good in white ball cricket.

But this is needed to get him settled down . His fitness is bad and also discipline issues both can improve because of some rest
Maybe rest him for all home games. that is the best we can expect atm. Good to see hamza and Abrar getting a game. I said it because I think, Mohammad Ali might miss out this game for Hamza.

I live in isb, I know how damp it is these days. Rain will win this match over 5 days and Shawn Masood will become the first captain to lose a series to Bangladesh. The guy is captain for almost a year and is yet to win a his first game. lelz

I live in isb, I know how damp it is these days. Rain will win this match over 5 days and Shawn Masood will become the first captain to lose a series to Bangladesh. The guy is captain for almost a year and is yet to win a his first game. lelz
Yes there is forecast of rain for tomorrow

Last edited:
Pakistan has announced a 12-member squad for the 2nd test against Bangladesh. Surprise surprise.

qLA7uTM.jpeg
Jason Gillespie, the Pakistan men’s cricket team red-ball head coach today announced a 12-member squad for the second Test match against Bangladesh during a pre-match press conference at a local hotel in Islamabad.

The playing XI for the second Test commencing tomorrow at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium will be announced at the time of toss. Bangladesh are leading the two Test-match series 1-0, after defeating the hosts Pakistan by 10 wickets at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium on Sunday.

The toss will take place 09.30am, with the first ball expected to be bowled at 10.00am.

Pakistan 12-member squad for second Test against Bangladesh:

Shan Masood (captain), Saud Shakeel (vice-captain), Abrar Ahmed, Abdullah Shafique, Babar Azam, Khurram Shahzad, Mir Hamza, Mohammad Ali, Mohammad Rizwan (wicket-keeper), Naseem Shah, Saim Ayub and Salman Ali Agha

Match officials for second Test match:

Michael Gough and Adrian Holdstock (on-field umpires), Richard Kettleborough (third umpire), Asif Yaqoob (fourth umpire) and Ranjan Madugalle (match referee)

First name on that list should be Shan Masood. Rizwan and Babar will only leave when they retire
We can't drop Shan Masood due to his ICC ranking a Mighty 67. Babar's Ranking is 9 and Rizwan ICC ranking is 10. Shaheen Shah Afridi's ranking has dropped to 8 so he has been rested/dropped. Shan Masood meanwhile has the honor of ICC ranking of 67. Captaincy material for sure

Jason Gillespie, the Pakistan men’s cricket team red-ball head coach today announced a 12-member squad for the second Test match against Bangladesh during a pre-match press conference at a local hotel in Islamabad.

The playing XI for the second Test commencing tomorrow at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium will be announced at the time of toss. Bangladesh are leading the two Test-match series 1-0, after defeating the hosts Pakistan by 10 wickets at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium on Sunday.

The toss will take place 09.30am, with the first ball expected to be bowled at 10.00am.

Pakistan 12-member squad for second Test against Bangladesh:

Shan Masood (captain), Saud Shakeel (vice-captain), Abrar Ahmed, Abdullah Shafique, Babar Azam, Khurram Shahzad, Mir Hamza, Mohammad Ali, Mohammad Rizwan (wicket-keeper), Naseem Shah, Saim Ayub and Salman Ali Agha

Match officials for second Test match:

Michael Gough and Adrian Holdstock (on-field umpires), Richard Kettleborough (third umpire), Asif Yaqoob (fourth umpire) and Ranjan Madugalle (match referee)
An attack that lacks real pace and quality, which this one does with the decline of SSA and Naseem is going to find it very difficult to take 20 wickets. Looking at Naseems weight, another injury is around the corner

qLA7uTM.jpeg
So basically we will play with 9 players only because babar and shan are walking wickets for any half decent medium pacer. Shan although may score 30 or 40 but babar on the other hand has become so poor. YOu just need to bowl few deliveries on 4th or 5th stump to get his nick. I think babar needs to go back to domestics. His technique has become poor due to playing t20s. He should be dropped from t20s and tests and never be selected for t20s ever because they destroy his technique. He needs a good first class season to get back to the team.

Bangladesh head coach during press conference ahead of 2nd Test:

"If you remember, we had played on very result-oriented pitches previously. In those pitches, if you scored 250, 230 or 260, those were match-winning scores, which happened against New Zealand and even against Sri Lanka to a certain extent. But this (playing with a different mindset in Pakistan) mainly because of the pitch, was really good. Our application and our game plan was slightly different for this Test match."

"We talked about spending time in the middle, getting their fast bowlers to come and bowl second and third spells. That mindset changed, the approach was different, our game plan was slightly different because of the condition. That helped a lot to put up a good show with the bat."

"I think it is important that you have good partnerships early on, especially those 12 overs that openers bat. It also gave us little time, and that gave us a lot of confidence and control of the game on the third morning."

"We always go with an offensive strategy. Of course, depending on the condition the strategy changes. We know our strengths and our limitations, and we know the opposition's strengths and limitations as well. On top of that, you look at the pitch and the overhead conditions as well, so we will take that into account when we think about strategies."

"The morale is good for obvious reasons. Beating Pakistan in Pakistan, it's not an easy task. They are a really good and strong team. Still, we expect a really good fight in the second game as well. We might have a few changes depending on the conditions tomorrow when we look at the pitch. We didn't get to look at the pitch today as it was covered and the weather is slightly different than the last game."

"Those two (Nahid and Shadman) are very young in terms of international cricket. Nahid Rana is an exciting prospect not only for Bangladesh cricket but I would say for world cricket, he can bowl 150/140 plus consistently and then he is very young. I think we are going to see a lot from him his best is yet to come."

"Shadman has been with Bangladesh, he has played a few test matches previously. He showed a lot of mental resilience coming back and playing that kind of innings under pressure on his comeback."

"I understand when there is a new leadership which has come in. They have their views but I am looking forward to going and getting a chance to speak to them, that's number one. And the other one is my job is to prepare the team the best I can and then whatever the hard work we have done in the last few months."

Bangladesh need to play like they want 2-0

No point trying to play as if they want to just survive and get draw

This Pakistan side is their for the taking

New ball wicket taking skills has been on the decline for Pakistan

Last 3 year stats. Opening wicket partnership average against different teams in Tests. Pakistan is only better than Zimbabwe and Ireland.

Screenshot-2024-08-29-141253.jpg

For all the knock against foreign coaches, this is exactly why they're needed - uninfluenced, impartial, here to do a job. Can bet my bottom dollar if this was a Pakistani coach, he would never drop SSA given he'd be scared of the father-in-law's influence.

I have been screaming from the mountaintops for a few years now that SSA is an incredibly average bowler who had a peak run, and not a once-in-a-generation bowler who is having a down run. His immense ego and constant middle-school-esque tantrums didn't help his cause.

Can't wait for the emo IG story/post to be up soon! Can take a break from cricket, but not from the PR!

For all the knock against foreign coaches, this is exactly why they're needed - uninfluenced, impartial, here to do a job. Can bet my bottom dollar if this was a Pakistani coach, he would never drop SSA given he'd be scared of the father-in-law's influence.

I have been screaming from the mountaintops for a few years now that SSA is an incredibly average bowler who had a peak run, and not a once-in-a-generation bowler who is having a down run. His immense ego and constant middle-school-esque tantrums didn't help his cause.

Can't wait for the emo IG story/post to be up soon! Can take a break from cricket, but not from the PR!

According to sources and reports, Shaheen did not take his dropping well and has had a fight with the captain Shan Masood and the coaching staff.

Good decision to drop SSA by Gillespie and clearly this is a drop, he just had a child so they could have said that he is a new father etc but...

"Shaheen's missed out this game," Gillespie said. "We've had a good conversation with him, and he fully understands and appreciates the thinking behind it. Shaheen's been given some feedback. He's working on some things with his bowling to be as effective as he possibly can be. He's working really well with Azhar Mahmood. We want to see Shaheen at his best because we've got a lot of cricket in all formats and Shaheen's going to play a really big role in that."

Last edited by a moderator:
Bangladesh has historically defeated Pakistan in the 1st Test in Rawalpindi by 10 wickets. Pakistan, having not won a Test match on home soil since February 2021, faces a challenge. Can they bounce back in the 2nd Test at Rawalpindi? What will be the pitch conditions for the second Test, and what changes would you like to see in the playing XI?

Bangladesh Squad: Zakir Hasan, Shadman Islam, Najmul Hossain Shanto(c), Mominul Haque, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim(w), Litton Das, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Shoriful Islam, Nahid Rana, Hasan Mahmud, Khaled Ahmed, Nayeem Hasan, Taskin Ahmed, Taijul Islam

Pakistan Squad: Abdullah Shafique, Saim Ayub, Shan Masood(c), Babar Azam, Saud Shakeel, Mohammad Rizwan(w), Agha Salman, Shaheen Afridi, Naseem Shah, Khurram Shahzad, Mohammad Ali, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Mir Hamza, Kamran Ghulam, Abrar Ahmed, Mohammad Huraira

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning:

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.
Seems like this match is doomed as well

Back