Pakistan vs Bangladesh Test Series (2024): Player Performance Review

mominsaigol

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
I didn't even think I would make this thread, I only make these types of threads for World cups or at the very least I wait until the entire series is concluded.

But frankly speaking I don't really care, their important elements that need to be discussed ASAP and questions that need to be answered.

So let's begin.

Pakistan has suffered a rough couple of Months ever since the conclusion of the game against India last year in the asia cup.

Before that game, Pakistan was celebrating a historic no 1 odi rank achievement and confidence was sky high within the unit, I mean how can it not be? We came from a semi final against australia in 2021, Reached a final 2x in 2022, And finally reached the no 1 rank.

It seemed that Pakistan was a proper tournament team and a feared competitive side, the only thing that was missing was some sweet silverware, However after reaching 2 finals back to back, surely 3rd times the charm right?

Wrong, in comes India and delivers Pakistan a brutal thrashing that had dented us to this date. Going from peak confidence to the point of announcing playing 11's weeks before a game, to timid chickens losing brutally againat every team imaginable and having a humilating world cup 2023 campaign.

Then comes 2024 and and things haven't gotten much better, With our new captain Shan Masood leading team Pakistan to get bullied left and right in Australia, Followed by humilating group stage exit by USA of all teams fir the t20 2024 wc and now followed by another 10 wicket bashing by bangaldesh.

So let's focus on this game.

1) Shan Masood (C) Rating: 1 out of 10

Shan Masood being given the captaincy role was met with divided opinions of the bat. Some felt that he'd be a mike breadley esc captain, One who's own form was weak but coning from an educated background surely he would be an improvement over babar azam given Shan's impressive communication skills and deep understanding of the test game, due to his county cricket experience?

Well i guess Pakistan fans were dissapointed. With poor scores of 6 and 14 against Bangladesh and Shan losing his 4th game in a row that too in a humilating fashion, it begs the question, what's the point of impressive communication skills when the test results are at an all time low?

One key element to note was Shan's behaviour. For all talks about shan being a respected educativative individual, He sure seemed to showcase extremly unprofessional behaviour towards his coaches and umpires, an element that progressed till day 4. I advise pakiatani fans who love the support, Education =/= professionalism.

2) Babar Azam 1 out of 10

Sigh Babar The king, the man who just about avoided a 0 rating. He sure got lucky on being dropped for another duck in the 2nd innings.

Their isnt much to be said about Babar, his own form has been crap since 2022, and he frankly seems completly disintrested in even playing Test cricket and representing Pakistan in its most historic format.

The question that should be asked is, Why are the selectors still keeping him around? Is it nepotism and marketing? Or has the talent pool really run so dry?

3) Muhammad Rizwan 8 out of 10

Possibly the only positive thing about this series. Rizwan entered in an uncomfortable position and scored an exttemimpressive 171 not out at a sr of 71. It was a well constructive innings

And he acted as the lone warrior during his 2nd innings scoring an inpressive 50 despite wickets falling around him left and right.

His fielding was up and down and all over the place, sometimes good and sometimes bad, but overall, Rizwan was the only person who gave pakistan fans some semblance of respect.

4) Saim Ayub : 3 out of 10

Ah saim ayub, the kid who has been hyped as the most talented kid in pakistan, hailed as the natural successor to saeed Anwar, Fakhar zaman, And even going so far to name himself as the 2nd coming of de villers,

But just like babar azam, its a total marketing farce. Saim entered with a respctabke 50, he played the early seam well, showcased good quality shots, a good defense against the seam movement. For a while it seemed that the kid finally found his stride and earned his first international 50.

But as soon as he did, he went back to his same old routine. Tried to act funky, gave his wicket away and in the 2nd innings got out on a nothing delivery.

Now the question is, Why is he still in the squad? Surely right attitude cannot justify the inclusion amd be a solid justification for poor form?

5) Abdullah Shafiq 1 out of 10

Pathetic
really, theirs not much to say, He looked clueless out their, once hailed as pakistan's answer to Shubman Gill is very quickly turning into the right hand version of Imam ul Haq.

6) Saud Shakeel 5 out of 10

Saud scored a well made 100, however he did dissappint me overall, He did well to weather the early storm alongside saim ayub while the pitch was seaming, however afterwards the pitch was a road. He played relatively slow for my liking but overall it was a good 100.

However he departed for a 0 when the team needed him. A key trait about Saud is how he comtinues to get out on soft dismissals, He really meeds to abvoid this if he wishes to become a proper international class batsmen which sadly Pakistan is lacking right now.

7) Salman Ali Agha 0.5 out of 10

What can i even say? Crap with the bat, Wicketless with the ball whereas Bangladeshi spinners were having the time of their life.

8) Shaheen Shah Afridi 1.5 put of 10

Giving an extra .5 due to taking the wicket of Mehidy Hasan, but here is what I don't get.

What was Shaheen even doing playing Test when the birth of his child was right around his corner? Furthermore he seemed totally disintrested in playing?

Forget lack of form, my question to pakistan's star pacer is, WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOUR PRIORITIES ATM?

9) Naseem Shah 3 out of 10

I understand that it was a road pitch and he got 3 wickets, but still, i blame the pacers for letting the game slip when Bangladesh was at 200-5, ontop of which they all got spanked in 6 overs in the 2nd innings anyway?

10) Ali 2.5/3 out of 10

Ali did alright, Im being super lieannat with him, he got rahim's wicket, was economical, gave us some good spells, bowled well on a pitch that's tough for pacers to bowl,

And it was his first test. However if you think the rating is 2, I don't mind.

11) Khurram Shehzad 2.5/3 out of 10

Did okay, Did a good job to get Mominul out.

Overall Team rating: 2.63 out of 10, Downright horrible.

Questions to be asked

Q1: What exact surgery is being done?

Q2: What is Jason Gilspie even doing?

Q3: Babar's lack of form? Any thoughts?

Q4: What is wrong with the pitch curators? Where is the 55M going?

Q5: Shan's behaviour and form as a captain?

Q6: What are Shaheen's priorities in representing his nation?

Q7: Why is injustice being done to certain players who have yet to get a chance? Hurraira/ Abrar/ Kamran Ghulam and amoung others.

Summary

1) Shan Masood: 1 out of 10
2) Babar Azam: 1 out of 10
3) Muhammad Rizwan: 8 out of 10
4) Salman Ali Agha: 0.5 out of 10
5) Shaheen Shah Afridi: 1.5 out of 10
6) Saud Shakeel: 5 out of 10
7) Naseem Shah: 3 out of 10
8) Muhammad Ali: 2.5 out of 10
9) Khurram Shehzad: 2.5 out of 10
10) Abdullah Shafiq: 1 put of 10
11) Saim Ayub: 3 out of 10

Nice review bro. I think Naseem Shah deserves 6/10 as he should intent to take wickets
Yes but bro, it's still a skill issue. Yes the wicket is crap but even bamgaldeshi bowlers were finding a way to seam? And rana can bowl faster then all of our pacers?

It's unforgivable that you let a 37 year old bully you to such an extent that the game slipped from 200-5 to 500+. Bamgaldesh shpuld have been bundled out for 300 to 350 max.

Naseem Shah has been playing for 2 to 3 years now, and I have not seen an improvement, he can't keep relying on that exact same test match line and length, at one point you need to start developing variations like yorkers, Bouncers, offcutters, and just learning to read the batsmen. If a batter is coming at you, then bowl short, if he's standing far back then bowl away.

Dude has not been able to improve on this. And it's a shame. Junaid khan, Amir and even Hasan Ali before they all regressed knew this and were able to adjust accordingly and get into the minds of batters.

Back