Pakistan vs West Indies | World T20 | 01/04/14 | Dhaka | Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotham Cronie

Test Debutant
Runs
Virtual quarter-final.

Rain isn't forecasted, but if the game is washed out, the Windies go through.

What changes, if any, would you make to the playing XI? :junaid

Same team may be but i'm tempted for Sharjeel in place of Malik out batting needs to fiyah also regarding Junaid i think the WI sloggers like pace on bat so need of Juni let Toolkit play and ask him to use his variations if he can :facepalm:

also we need to be strong in head because in a do or die game like this we might chasing something like 170+ so can't crumble under pressure but lets hope spinners peg them from ball one.

Hmmm i am tempted for junaid for toolkit. Frankly both will get clobbered but junaid can bowl yorkers in death while tanvirs slower ones will be dispatched for 80 meter sixes. Another change perhaps. Sharjeel over malik. Batting needs some massive fire.

Strategies that Pakistan must employ to defeat West Indies

I think it is important to get rid of Gayle and Sammy for a low score. Pak should bat first and put a good total. Later with pressure and our spin bowling, we can make it happen.

Discuss!

1. Bowl Hafeez against Gayle.
2. Gul must hit his yorkers at the end, Sammy and Bravo are destructive batsmen.

WI, like India, will chase down anything, especially since we'd have one of Tanvir/Bhatti/Junaid who will be mauled for plenty.
Have to bowl first.

Maybe... Just maybe we can try Talha.

Last edited:
will be a tough game to win to be honest we don't match the west indies firepower in batting, and no way are we going to make more than 160 against them, not against narine badree and santokie.

this is a bad matchup for Pakistan. we just have to pray their batting collapses, but the tough part about that is that they already had a couple of bad games to wake the up.

I cant see the West Indies scoring runs against Pakistani spinners. How is Gayle going to hit Ajmal for the Sixes ? Dwayne Smith will be on his way to score yet another 30 balls 15.

My Playing XI

1. Sharjeel Khan
2. Ahmed Shezad
3. Mohammed Hafeez
4. Umar Akmal
5. Sohaib Maqsood
6. Kamran Akmal
7. Shahid Afridi
8. Shoaib Malik
9. Umar Gul
10. Zulfiqar Babar
11. Saeed Ajmal

No need for Bhatti/Tanvir who will just get destroyed, go for an extra batsmen and be aggressive.

indians should be helping us to gear us up and help us plan against the WI.. we are already giving you guys so much support... such a shame... ek haat se thaali

Hafeez is a waste, is a waste AND IS A WASTE at no 3.
Hafeez MUST DROP himself down at 7 and play in the squad to bowl 4 overs at the risk of losing new ball advantage.

LOL.

You are sounding as if WI have a chance.

They are no threat to us, a huge gulf in quality.

I expect a straightforward win. Just give respect to the best T20 bowler in the world (Narine).

That is all hypothetical. We know its not going to happen.

I remember "Gayle storm" hiding behind the top order after we completely owned him in the ODI series back in May.

just remember Raina's quote.. and talk like him, not like Faulkner...

Got have a definite strategy against spin.

Don't let the spinners choke us.

Hafeez should get Gayle

Don't bowl pace at Sammy

Don't bowl spin at Narine (sadly the best player of spin in the west indian team)

Im not only talkin bout Gayle, Sammy, Samual, Bravo....

Trust me do not underestimate these guys. We all know how we are scared of Narine..

But confident pak will win.

Strategies that Pakistan must employ to defeat West Indies

Well just keep it simple and thrash their bowlers. Play without fear.

People keep talking about WI batting, what worries me is their bowling. Will our batsmen be able to pick Badree, Narine and Santosh ? I highly doubt it. Today we got saved because of Bangla pacers, WI will play only one i.e Bravo. Can we handle the spin ?

Most likely the same thing will happen as the last time these two teams met in a T20 series , especially the Last T20 where Windies suddenly were at 20-5 in 7-8 overs and were finding it very very difficult to score runs against Pakistani spinners.

My Playing XI

1. Sharjeel Khan
2. Ahmed Shezad
3. Mohammed Hafeez
4. Umar Akmal
5. Sohaib Maqsood
6. Kamran Akmal
7. Shahid Afridi
8. Shoaib Malik
9. Umar Gul
10. Zulfiqar Babar
11. Saeed Ajmal

No need for Bhatti/Tanvir who will just get destroyed, go for an extra batsmen and be aggressive.

with your batting line up and team selection we would loose all chances we have lol

Both teams will play for their survival, so you can expect the best out of all players.

so all the average cases that Gayle not good against spin, Pak cant chase etc dont apply. Everyone will be in beast mode.
Think of best of both teams unless one chokes big time.

bowl spin.. as much as you can..
umar gull is bowling good but we still have sohail tanvir.. ONE OF THE WEAKEST LINK OF OUR ATTACK... either drop him or try to get min runs out of his 2 overs.. I am pretty sure he will be just bowling 2 overs considering we have hafeez.

I would actually go as far as to open with hafeez and baaber instead of sohail tanvir because.. we may not need to even bowl him which is fine for now..

Spin is the key, I'd say bowl Hafeez and Babar up the order against Gayle, if they can get Gayle early it is half the match won.

LOL.

You are sounding as if WI have a chance.

They are no threat to us, a huge gulf in quality.

I expect a straightforward win. Just give respect to the best T20 bowler in the world (Narine).

We will win only because of our bowling.

I wouldn't sound cocky about this match.

Bangladesh , sure yeah. Eyes closed.

But Badree is extremely deceptive, he goes for runs and picks up the wickets early.

And with our batting, you know how dangerous that could be.

Santokie is another guy that's so miserly he makes you weep.

Now that leaves 8 overs of fun.

If Pakistan don't plan this well, they are gonna be staring at 70-5 or 80-6 wickets and that will be the end of the match.

I am more worried about our batting than theirs.

I see Narine as the only threat because he is the best T20 bowler in the world.

Rest are manageable and don't forget we are the only team in the competition to score 190 twice.

Pak spinners should be able to put a web around them. Its Pakistans batting against Badree and Narine that worries me. We are really awful at playing spin.

Badree will be a handful for us, Narine, not so much. We tend to struggle more against leg spinners than mystery spinners.

I reckon we should set a 160+ total first and then watch them crumble under pressure.

Badree and Narine might triggers a collapse because top order Pakistani batsmen are more comfortable against Pace and also because these spinners are not your typical average spinners but a bit of mystery ones.

Only Afridi and somewhat Maqsood can be handy in playing the spinners , Santokie would also have to be played with caution and Sammy will be liked as usual.

Samuels , Sammy and Bravo would be the ones that will be milked by Pakistani batsmen.

Last edited:
Pakistan needs offer Gayle and Bravo a PSL contract as an icon player, thats the strategy I would employ

Many people talking about how to stop Gayle & co. from scoring the runs. I guess the equal issue is how our boys will score of Narine and Badree :(

Hafeez is a waste, is a waste AND IS A WASTE at no 3.
Hafeez MUST DROP himself down at 7 and play in the squad to bowl 4 overs at the risk of losing new ball advantage.

if hafeez bats at #3 we will lose the game. take it to the bank, I guarantee it.

imagine hafeez coming in the third over batting against badree and santokie. he is going to be gone within 4 minutes maybe less and if he somehow survives past 4 to 5 minutes he will be 5 runs off 20 deliveries and the game will be lost

i think the dew factor will nullify any spin in the second innings. Not sure if there is much dew in Dhaka but the West Indies Spin Threat by Narine and Badree is real and acute. The only hope for pak against it is if dew prevents them gripping the ball if we are chasing a low total.

Windies are equally weak against our spin and Gayle is suspect against left arm pace. Should be one hell of a match. Im taking the day off work.

But Badree is extremely deceptive, he goes for runs and picks up the wickets early.

If Pakistan don't plan this well, they are gonna be staring at 70-5 or 80-6 wickets and that will be the end of the match.

I just noticed, you even type like Mamoon. :91:

Be careful of Narine, don't try and hoick him over midwicket.

Hit him on the offside.

I would play junaid and bowl majority of his overs at the end. Tell him to bowl full and Yorkers.

West Indies will have find 8 overs b/w Sammy,Samuels,Russel and Bravo.If guys like Shehzad or Umar are in at that time, they will absolutely murder them.Umar took a liking to their pacers the last time we played them.

Narine is the only class bowler they have.Don't give him wickets and play him like Shehzad did today with Shakib and Razzak.

Badree bowls 2 hit me deliveries every over and is nothing like the bowler that he is made out to be.

Note:Pakistan needs to play Junaid.The prospect of toolkit bowling to Gayle horrifies me.He can cost us the game single handedly.He is not going to get runs anyway, if the other don't.And do I need to say anything about his fielding??

Last edited:

Its nothing near the horrific vampire tale that your are making it out to be.

All the Pundits are out in full force telling us how to beat WI !!! Great !!! Consider it done !!! Well guys, this is T/20 format ... basically a Crap Shoot. Not easy for a Better Team to assert itself over a Weaker Team, let alone two evenly matched Teams. So a dropped catch here or a lucky bounce there or a bad umpiring call could easily dictate the outcome of the game. So just sit back and hope our team wins. Nervous ??? You bet I am Nervous. I am always Nervous before any Cricket Match our guys play.

WI is not what everyone is trying to make them out to be just because of that win VS Australia.
Australia are just clueless this tournament in the sub continent.

Badree took 4 wickets VS Ban, and 2 Vs Aus and only 1 each VS IND & SL

Narine only managed 3 in 3 games (12 overs). Gul, Babar, Ajmal & even Bhatti are ahead of him in the average game.

He is ahead in the economy game but hafeez, ajmal and afridi are not far off.

Sammy & Gayle can be dangerous but we have akmals, shehzad and afridi

Play your strenght and that is spin, don't give them any pace and keep giving them variations.

I would let them bat first.

Santokie will be the one to watch imo. We've never played against him before and his slower balls can be very tricky to get away.

Santokie will be the one to watch imo. We've never played against him before and his slower balls can be very tricky to get away.

Yeah I agree, our players also aren't very good at playing slower balls.

Pak can defend a score as low as 130-140. WI seem clueless vs anything that isn't fast bowling.

People are underestimating badree here !

The lad will get our top order bowled or trapped in front !

From WI's perspective if they use their sloggers effectively then can really decimate us Bravo is a genuine finisher Sammy off late is in purple patch i think they should gamble on Russell send him instead of one out of Samuels/Simmons as a pinch hitter he can use the long handle and might destroy Toolkit n Gully

Pakistan need to look at how India bowled at WI , that is the way to choke them.

Hafeez is shameless guy and Pakistan management spineless , thus he will continue to kill momentum at number 3.

Shehzad
Kamran
Sharjeel
Umar
Hafeez
Maqsood
Afridi
Gul
Babar
Tanvir
Ajmal

Sharjeel if he gets going will provide a great platform for the lower order, Hafeez v Narine and Santokie = disaster (he'll sap all the energy from the innings).

Our bowling vs their batting, our bowling will come on top, if we look at WI's 3 games only time they looked comfortable was against Aus (who have no spinners), against Bang they would have not made 170+ if Bang never dropped catches and gave cheap boundaries and we know what India did to them.

I'm more concered about our batting v Narine and Santokie, not Badree as much you can get some cheap runs of him, but Narine and Santokie won't make it easy so I hope they have proper planr against them.

That is all hypothetical. We know its not going to happen.

I remember "Gayle storm" hiding behind the top order after we completely owned him in the ODI series back in May.

Dude don't be so overconfident. Cricket is a funny game. :))

On paper, Pakistan should take this without batting an eyelid but Santokie,Badree and narine can be a handful. Interesting contest.

Lol Afridi took 7-12 against a very similar looking WI side. He got Samuels, Bravo, Simmons and Narine; Sammy went at SR of 40 for 50 balls.

Ajmal's average is 22 against WI in ODIs and his economy is 3.7 in 15 ODIs. I recall he makes Sammy look like a joke on a very regular basis. Gul averages 18 with an economy of 4.1 against the Windies. FFS even Hafeez has dominated WI in T20s with the ball.

We are huge favourites given that its being played at Mirpur as well, where we had them all out for 112 in the 2011 WC. Gayle rarely comes off against us, has hit 3 tons in 33 ODIs and nothing much in between.

Only problem I can see is if our batsmen fold up to Badree and Narine.

It's also a fraction worrying how fired up the Windies are now. Stupid Faulkner. Simmons is also a class batsman, have seen him take apart our spin attack before.

I think at this stage we are not in a position to take Sharjeel as it's a sort of quarter final and we cannot directly put him in this sort of situation. It's better to change Tanvir only for Juni or otherwise no change at all.

Sent from my GT-I9105

It's also a fraction worrying how fired up the Windies are now. Stupid Faulkner. Simmons is also a class batsman, have seen him take apart our spin attack before.

Simmons is the only proper batsmen in that lineup. Swing with the new ball will destroy them.

Our player's need to watch out for the following:

1. Santokie's cutter.
2. Badree's googly.
3. Narine's carrom ball.
4. Gayle.

Go after the other bowlers, and get Gayle out within the PP.

Pakistan need to look at how India bowled at WI , that is the way to choke them.

Hafeez is shameless guy and Pakistan management spineless , thus he will continue to kill momentum at number 3.

swing upfront and then spin later.

All we have to do is bowl is like this:

[UTUBE]-lXEyk_Zhh4[/UTUBE]

and that is just one part of our bowling, if anyone is not convinced, you may watch the QFs of the World Cup 2011.

If we bowl good spin bowling, no one in the world can play it well. Especially, not West Indies.

Last edited:
Hmmm i am tempted for junaid for toolkit. Frankly both will get clobbered but junaid can bowl yorkers in death while tanvirs slower ones will be dispatched for 80 meter sixes. Another change perhaps. Sharjeel over malik. Batting needs some massive fire.

Can Sharjeel play Narine & Badri????
I think Malik can

just play junaid khan instead of tanvir... give junaid khan the new ball...

when even i can smack him for a couple of boundaries in an over with the way he bowls... gayle, bravo and sammy can eat him alive...

just play junaid khan instead of tanvir... give junaid khan the new ball...

when even i can smack him for a couple of boundaries in an over with the way he bowls... gayle, bravo and sammy can eat him alive...

Are you watching the tourney mate! WI hacks had parked both Starc and Faulkner out of the park with ease let Toolkit play its good if he avoids the phainta but if he gets :133: then it will be good for us in the long term :))

W.I opening bowlers badree and santoke have proved difficult to get away and pakistans inability to start well will need to improve, our bowlers should on other hands should be good enough to cause W.I batsmen plenty of problems.

Basically it will come down to our how our batsmen play Badree, Narine and Santioke. I fear we'd make Santioke look like Wasim Akram by taking him lightly. One for the Lallu thread for sure.

Badree, Narine, Santoike are good T20 bowlers. If Pak bat first, they shouldn't be hoping for an unrealistically high score. 140-150 is enough for Pakistan spinners to defend.

Pakistan's weak batting is their biggest concern, Windies will shitt themselves down against quality pakistan spin. Pakistan spinners will expose how much a big overrated failure Smith is.

I think you chase. This is a second game and the dew will be a bigger factor than the early slot game (ones we have been playing).

Badree, Narine, Santoike are good T20 bowlers. If Pak bat first, they shouldn't be hoping for an unrealistically high score. 140-150 is enough for Pakistan spinners to defend.

These bowlers are in the top interms of econ rates over the last year so, its will be a tough task for pakistan to combat these bowlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back