PCB in talks with Gary Kirsten and Jason Gillespie for separate coaching roles

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs

==

I feel a smart move by the PCB, if true and if it happens!

Kirsten has some good pedigree as he was the coach of the Indian cricket team from 2008 to 2011, going on to win the 2011 Cricket World Cup.

Gillespie is a self-confessed fan of Test cricket and so an ideal person for the job.

How any other local coaches will fit in this picture is yet to be seen but as is normal, I expect familiar rona dhona about how much he is getting paid etc to come up from usual suspects...

Would be brilliant if we can make this happen.

Would not mind either of them end up being our coaches in all formats though.

I think it is a waste of money. Pakistan is already in an economic crisis, yet PCB is pursuing expensive foreign coaches.

I think it is a waste of money. Pakistan is already in an economic crisis, yet PCB is pursuing expensive foreign coaches.
With coaches like these two it’s certain that they will first demand their own teams if back room support staff plus they will demand a root and branch reform of Pak cricketing structure. There are three really long term issues to address

Junior cricket and the facilities alongside player development

Regional cricket and how it links into the national set up

The incredibly convoluted workings of the PCB with around 600 staff I think. So if your paying GK or JG top dollar then in a way you are saying the Pak cricket has to be dragged into the modern age and coaches have to be given everything they need to succeed otherwise…yes it would be a waste of resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary Kirsten is one of the best in the business. His track-record speaks for itself. If he takes this job, it would be interesting to see if he is allowed to implement his vision without the interference of the various external forces in Pakistan cricket.

I understand that coaches cannot change your cricket. Real change always has to come from a structural standpoint. However, great coaches can change individual players. Whether its by giving them a different perspective on their game or empowering them to play a certain way.

Gary Kirsten and Jason Gillespie are both guys that can do alot of good for Pakistan cricket if they are allowed to do things their way with minimal outside interference. And I'm not talking about the selectors.

Talks is one thing, getting them to sign on the dotted line is another.

No reputable coach understandably wants the aggravation and turmoil that comes with coaching Pakistan.

That said there's just been an election, and for better or worse there's a government in place ensuring some short-term stability.

That means whoever comes in should get 2-3 years at least even in Pakistan's volatile political environment.

PCB is in talks with everyone at the moment.

This is one instance we actually need less jaw jaw and more war war.

This could work. You would expect Kirsten and Gillespie to have a cordial relationship. They would recommend players for each other format for the betterment of Pakistan cricket.

Whereas Pakistan born coaches would get jealous of the other if he was performing better in that format and will get toxic. Let's see if the PCB get this one over the line.

Talks is one thing, getting them to sign on the dotted line is another.

No reputable coach understandably wants the aggravation and turmoil that comes with coaching Pakistan.

That said there's just been an election, and for better or worse there's a government in place ensuring some short-term stability.

That means whoever comes in should get 2-3 years at least even in Pakistan's volatile political environment.
No I think it’s telling that JG has just resigned from South Australia. It won’t be just talks with the PCB

The economic crisis is being caused by the unelected.

Bring I K in and the economy goes up no end.

The overseas Pakistani s are willing to invest billions when the true leader returns to his elected position because he is trusted.

Remember during covid our GDP was up compared to developed economies like the UK under I Ks leadership.

From a sporting point of view this could be an intelligent move with two coaches who have the passion and know how for the respected formats.

I would assume seperate white ball and red ball contracts would follow.

I personally dont like this segregation and feel that there should be one single coach but if there is some wisdom behind it then i fully back this.

Getting such high profile individuals interested in the job and finding the funds to pay them high salaries is one challenge. These individuals also want other assurances i.e. freedom of movement i.e. they dont want to be tied down by security, can they bring their families over?

I personally dont like this segregation and feel that there should be one single coach but if there is some wisdom behind it then i fully back this.
Yep two swords can't be kept in one sheath, England is already suffering because of it.

Kirsten is self admittedly not a fan of t20 cricket and according to him it should be kept to domestic leagues. under his tenure, india failed to reach semis both times and sa in 2012 wt20i. why he is being considered for the t20i job just before the wt20i is weird.

Kristen would be a good choice, but what is the portfolio of Jason Gillespie as a coach?

He has had great success with Yorkshire in county cricket, he took them back to the top flight division and made them a force again in the 2010’s, during that period he made good use of the resources available in the national academy at Loughborough. He really familiarised himself with the set up, domestic scene and was great at harnessing talent. I think he was a candidate to coach England at one point to. In my opinion either Kirsten or Gillespie would be excellent coaches, getting both would be like getting to sign the two best franchise players in the world, and I’d take my hat off to the PCB if they pull it off.

I have never really understood why coaches are even considered to be important in Cricket when it really makes no difference. Over the years we have had so many different coaches without any improvements.

what is the portfolio of Jason Gillespie as a coach?
I think he is an experienced individual when it comes to being a coach.

2011-bowling coach of Indian Premier League team Kings XI Punjab

2011-first-team coach of Yorkshire (won them 2 titles back to back )

2015- coach of Adelaide strikers in BBL

2017- interim head coach for the Papua New Guinea national team

2018- head coach of Sussex.

2020- coach of South Australia.

I have never really understood why coaches are even considered to be important in Cricket when it really makes no difference. Over the years we have had so many different coaches without any improvements.
Without Mickey Arthur Pak would still be playing Ahmed Shehzad and Akmal brothers until they wish it’s enough and want to retire
Babar at no.3 was a find of Mickey. Hafeez with all his ego and power didn’t wanna give away no.3 to Babar but Mickey on the other side was adamant to give no.3 to Babar and achieved it a year before 2019 CWC. He had a plan.

Fakhar Zaman , Imam ul haq, Shaheen , Shadab , Hasan Ali all became a mainstay because of a professional coaching setup they had past the 2015 WC

Under Misbah and Waqar it was Azhar ali captaining the team not the case under Mickey. There is certainly massive difference in who they play , back as player , captain mindset etc.

Without Mickey Arthur Pak would still be playing Ahmed Shehzad and Akmal brothers until they wish it’s enough and want to retire
Babar at no.3 was a find of Mickey. Hafeez with all his ego and power didn’t wanna give away no.3 to Babar but Mickey on the other side was adamant to give no.3 to Babar and achieved it a year before 2019 CWC. He had a plan.

Fakhar Zaman , Imam ul haq, Shaheen , Shadab , Hasan Ali all became a mainstay because of a professional coaching setup they had past the 2015 WC

Under Misbah and Waqar it was Azhar ali captaining the team not the case under Mickey. There is certainly massive difference in who they play , back as player , captain mindset etc.
Umar Akmal and Shahzad were brought back by Misbah against SL and banished forever based on the evidence of that series.
It was Misbah not Mickey Arthur who fixed shahzad and akmal problem once and for all.

Gillespie definately has the experience to coach and it was a matter of time he landed a major international role. Another no nonsense Aussie.

Gillespie definately has the experience to coach and it was a matter of time he landed a major international role. Another no nonsense Aussie.

Not just a no nonsense bloke for show, he is an excellent task manager and his organisational skills are fantastic.

Unlike Shane Watson, who gets his chest out and looks serious - which is more driven by pretending to be something he’s not.

He has had great success with Yorkshire in county cricket, he took them back to the top flight division and made them a force again in the 2010’s, during that period he made good use of the resources available in the national academy at Loughborough. He really familiarised himself with the set up, domestic scene and was great at harnessing talent. I think he was a candidate to coach England at one point to. In my opinion either Kirsten or Gillespie would be excellent coaches, getting both would be like getting to sign the two best franchise players in the world, and I’d take my hat off to the PCB if they pull it off.
I was also thinking the same there's no reason to appoint both of them an a coaching role when both have excellent coaching records. Either pick Kirsten or Gillespie and save the money that the PCB is going to give both of them.

Umar Akmal and Shahzad were brought back by Misbah against SL and banished forever based on the evidence of that series.
It was Misbah not Mickey Arthur who fixed shahzad and akmal problem once and for all.

This. Umar and Shehzad's problems with the management started with Waqar Younis at the helm. Misbah was captain. It takes a great man to not hold a grudge and still recall them to the national team. He gave them a chance, they blew it up

Selectors choose the team more more then coaches. Coaches have very minimum say overall.

So what is the latest update when are they going to announce
The announcement will be made just before the t20 series against Kiwis starts, I guess. PCB has advertised for the role and is still in the process of finalizing things.

If Kirsten and Gillespie are hired it can’t be about money. Both could make the same if not more coaching in leagues and just chilling. They must truly love the game to accept a head coaching role with the PCB. Let’s hope that’s the case and we’re on to bigger and better things.

If Kirsten and Gillespie are hired it can’t be about money. Both could make the same if not more coaching in leagues and just chilling. They must truly love the game to accept a head coaching role with the PCB. Let’s hope that’s the case and we’re on to bigger and better things.
I guess PCB will be able to rope both of them in for the role. Let's see

Mickey didn’t waste time with them. Misbah brought back all the players who were out of contention when Mickey was the coach and also the reason for Amir / Wahab early retirement. Misbah was the reason the team regressed playing white ball cricket , Mickey revived them in fact made a settled top order also they start to score 320+ regularly , Misbah came again they crawl back to struggle to put 250. One of the biggest nightmare for Pakistan is Misbah in any capacity coach captain or selector.

Mickey didn’t waste time with them. Misbah brought back all the players who were out of contention when Mickey was the coach and also the reason for Amir / Wahab early retirement. Misbah was the reason the team regressed playing white ball cricket , Mickey revived them in fact made a settled top order also they start to score 320+ regularly , Misbah came again they crawl back to struggle to put 250. One of the biggest nightmare for Pakistan is Misbah in any capacity coach captain or selector.
under Mickey we went to two ICC events, CT2017 and WC2019, wihtout knowing our First X1. Mickey talked himself up but his results were poor.

Some reports on Twitter that Gillespie has accepted the head coach offer but he is refusing to travel to Pakistan, he will only join the team on foreign tours. I hope the PCB does not repeat the Mickey Arthur mistake again.

Some reports on Twitter that Gillespie has accepted the head coach offer but he is refusing to travel to Pakistan, he will only join the team on foreign tours. I hope the PCB does not repeat the Mickey Arthur mistake again.

So, if he’s the head coach for all formats, does he avoid travelling to Pakistan for the CT25?

Saw those reports as well, if it turns out to be true. It would be another disaster class.

Lol, Gillespie can take a hike if that’s the case. I don’t think we are goona be able to get a “name” coach. The PCB is hell bent on finding one so we are goona either have a temp coach for the NZ series or someone like Misbah will be appointed again. Personally I’d like to see a young Pakistani coach, maybe even someone from England who has Pakistani roots, complemented with some foreign coaches.

This won't do. We need a coach onsite at the NCA everyday. Guiding and mentoring the other coaches there. Monitoring progress of future players, fine tuning the system. It has to be someone experienced and committed.

Pakistan Cricket Board to announce new head coach by April end​

Pakistan will announce a new set of coaches for red and white ball formats for the national team by the end of this month, a Cricket Board (PCB) official said on Friday. The PCB also confirmed that besides South Africa's Gary Kirsten and Australia's Jason Gillespie, the board had received applications from a couple of reputed coaches by the April 15 deadline. The PCB official said that while they are interested in Kirsten and Gillispie, the new applicants are also in the fray. "The PCB chairman, Mohsin Naqvi has made it clear that the long-term appointments of coaches will be done through a due process and all commitments would be met by the board," the report added.

The last time PCB followed due process in appointing coaches was in 2019 when it named Misbah-ul-Haq as the head coach and chief selector of the national side. Since then, all appointments have either been made on a consultancy or interim basis. Another reliable source at the PCB said that this time, the board would only invite those candidates for interviews who apply for the coaching positions.

"Even in Kirsten and Gillispie's case though, the board has held direct negotiations with them, and they remain top candidates to be appointed head coaches, (but) they were also told to apply through due process by the deadline," the source said. He admitted that having some interesting candidates have also applied for the head coach's position, the PCB will require time till the end of the month to reach a decision and make an announcement.

"The PCB chief doesn't want names disclosed at any stage, and names would only be revealed once announcements are made," stated the source. The PCB has also kept April 20 as the deadline for candidates interested in applying for assistant coaches positions. "Even Azhar Mahmood has to go through the process, and currently, he was named head coach for the New Zealand series on a consultancy basis," the source added.

Pakistan Cricket Board to announce new head coach by April end​

Pakistan will announce a new set of coaches for red and white ball formats for the national team by the end of this month, a Cricket Board (PCB) official said on Friday. The PCB also confirmed that besides South Africa's Gary Kirsten and Australia's Jason Gillespie, the board had received applications from a couple of reputed coaches by the April 15 deadline. The PCB official said that while they are interested in Kirsten and Gillispie, the new applicants are also in the fray. "The PCB chairman, Mohsin Naqvi has made it clear that the long-term appointments of coaches will be done through a due process and all commitments would be met by the board," the report added.

The last time PCB followed due process in appointing coaches was in 2019 when it named Misbah-ul-Haq as the head coach and chief selector of the national side. Since then, all appointments have either been made on a consultancy or interim basis. Another reliable source at the PCB said that this time, the board would only invite those candidates for interviews who apply for the coaching positions.

"Even in Kirsten and Gillispie's case though, the board has held direct negotiations with them, and they remain top candidates to be appointed head coaches, (but) they were also told to apply through due process by the deadline," the source said. He admitted that having some interesting candidates have also applied for the head coach's position, the PCB will require time till the end of the month to reach a decision and make an announcement.

"The PCB chief doesn't want names disclosed at any stage, and names would only be revealed once announcements are made," stated the source. The PCB has also kept April 20 as the deadline for candidates interested in applying for assistant coaches positions. "Even Azhar Mahmood has to go through the process, and currently, he was named head coach for the New Zealand series on a consultancy basis," the source added.

As per rumours if Gary Kirsten becomes the white-ball coach and Jason Gillespie the red-ball coach then who will coach Pakistan in the pink-ball Test? :ROFLMAO:

I think Jason and Gary will be the coaches for Pakistan for sure. PCB is just wasting time now. Things should be finalized by now.

I think Jason and Gary will be the coaches for Pakistan for sure. PCB is just wasting time now. Things should be finalized by now.
Does this mean that Kirsten is leaving his coaching position with the Gujrat Titans?

The greatness of Misbah was that he didn't hold any grudges. Not only did he give Akmal and Shehzad a chance but he also brought back Sharjeel Khan and gave chances to many youngsters like Musa, Hussnain, Naseem. Even Fawad Alam was finally given Justice by Misbah. The guy gave every performer a chance whether young or experienced. Again he didn't hold grudges.

Evidence of this;

1. Umar and Shehzad had major attitude problems even before Mickey. When Misbah was captain and Waqar was coach they had a major falling out with the two where the coach on his report after the 2015 WC singled them out. Yet Misbah brought them back and gave them another chance.
2. Legendary Younis Khan had a revolt in his captaincy, many here feel that Misbah played a big part in it. Yet Misbah the captain supported him as a player all the way till YK retired and got the best out of him. Even had him in the 2015 WC team which YK didn't deserve at all.
3. Mohammad Yusuf was the biggest critic of Misbah the captain and used to take pot shots at him at every opportunity he got. Yet he ended up working under him as part of the coaching panel when Misbah was head coach. Not just him but also guys like Faisal Iqbal, Basit Ali and Abdul Razzaq too went from being critics to admirers.
4. Even after Ramiz Raja ousted him, Misbah had only positive things to say about Ramiz, here's a quote from him in an interview:

"I think Ramiz Bhai knows the problems of cricketers. He understands Pakistan cricket being a part of it for so many years. Who can do a better job than him at PCB's office," he said.

"From pitches to financial aspects of players, Ramiz Bhai knows everything so well and he can take things forward. Also, he has done commentary for many years, so it is helpful for him to build relations with other countries," he added.

It's just the way Misbah carries himself that he demands respect. You would never hear him talk bad about anyone. Again, a genuine good human and a professional that didn't hold grudges or let personal vendettas interfere with what's best for Pakistan cricket.

Why can't they just continue with Azhar Mehmood? He has extensive coaching experience with foreign teams and has coached in various capacities locally. He brings a blend of both foreign and local experiences, which is what the current team needs. He is young, hungry, and can offer the best of both worlds. Give him an extended opportunity; I'm sure he can't do worse than our local "unqualified" coaches.

Back