[Report] PCB in touch with Justin Langer, Gary Kirsten among others for Pakistan Head Coach role

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
As per reports:

PCB is in touch with Langer, Kirsten among others for the Pakistan head coach role

After Shane Watson turned down the offer, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is in contact with several foreign coaches, including Justin Langer and Gary Kirsten, to work with the national team as head coach on a long-term contract.

According to the “Jang” newspaper, the PCB has contacted high-profile names such as Langer, Kirsten, Mike Hesson, Matthew Hayden, Eoin Morgan and Phil Simmons.

The PCB Chairman, Mohsin Naqvi said he wanted a foreign coaching and support staff to work with the Pakistan team because of the upcoming ICC events including the T20 World Cup and the Champions Trophy.

Zaka Ashraf, the former PCB chairman, had sidelined foreign coaches, Mickey Arthur, Grant Bradburn and Andrew Puttick after the World Cup in India, opting to turn towards domestic former players as coaches.

The foreign coaches were released from their contracts with three month’s salaries under a mutual agreement.

“It is because of the PCB’s poor track record in appointing and sacking coaches -- foreign and local -- in the past that others are now very reluctant to accept any offer from the PCB,” a board official conceded.

Last edited:
Kirsten made India a #1 test team and a world cup winning side. He should be familiar with Desi affairs and will be a good pick.

''The PCB Chairman, Mohsin Naqvi said he wanted a foreign coaching and support staff to work with the Pakistan team because of the upcoming ICC events including the T20 World Cup and the Champions Trophy.''

What an original reason. Couldn't even make up one statement to support the importance of proper coaching. Shows you how invested this chairman is within PCB affairs.

Don’t think the players will be able to handle Langar’s Australian Chittar

One thing the foreign coaches should look into is that this current project will not be short lived since Naqvi is here for the long term and has a different and more competent vibe than the guys before him.

I personally feel we should go for a stop gap coach till t20WC, and then pick the next coach. Or we should at least ensure that the foreign coach is not judged unfairly on the short time they have.

Just get a local guy, these guys will not be interested as too many leaks in the PCB. Like what's the point of even leaking this news. Even if we end up getting a foreigner it'll be somebody who's starting out in the coaching career. Get a strong local personality that will give the team the danda they need

As none of these guys will make the slightest difference, go back to a respected elder like Mohsin Khan and getting a proper fielding coach to coach the national team and also coach the coaches at the domestic level. The batting and bowling coaches are a total waste of time and have no impact on the players once they reach the higher levels. Mentors should be available if required by players. For example if player is struggling against spin, he should be allowed to ask for specific mentor to work with him on that skill

If langer can blow the hell out of cummins for having a banana in t session when aus are loosing. What will happen if pak goes for birthday parties and dinner parties

Langer will be a tremendous choice. I always wanted him to coach Indian team after Dravid. So good luck to Pakistan if they can manage to get him.

Gary Kirsten unfortunately has passed his peak years as coach and will be a step backwards.

Langer will be a tremendous choice. I always wanted him to coach Indian team after Dravid. So good luck to Pakistan if they can manage to get him.

Gary Kirsten unfortunately has passed his peak years as coach and will be a step backwards.
He wouldn't last 2 weeks as PK coach. He is too old school and too aggressive

Feel sorry for the westerners who ho gets the job bitter ex players like Basit Ali Tanveer Ahmed will run them out of the country.. banana republic for a reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Langer is a hard nosed Western Australian who is too much even for the Aussies and you want him coaching the likes of Abdullah Shafique ?

Pakistan will be beaten before they get onto the field.

I like the involvement of Mathew Hayden in Pakistan's dug out. If it's possible how about have people like him in as a mentor and batting consultant during the series.

For the head coach role. Have someone local who is available with the team 24/7. My vote is for Abdul Rehman.

I think the Pakistan team needs to look for a period of internal stability before they even consider hiring a big fancy name.

I'm not even sure why Hafeez was fired. He didn't do anything great true but didn't do anything bad either. Seemed a decent sort in touch with recent realities in world cricket. Sure the administration changed but they haven't even had a chance to figure things out yet. Why fire the coach? A year or so of stability under him and then you could've evaluated whether you want to stay local or go back to international big spends.

Hesson wouldn't take it probably but he does seem like he has the temperament to succeed with the national team.

I think the Pakistan team needs to look for a period of internal stability before they even consider hiring a big fancy name.

I'm not even sure why Hafeez was fired. He didn't do anything great true but didn't do anything bad either. Seemed a decent sort in touch with recent realities in world cricket. Sure the administration changed but they haven't even had a chance to figure things out yet. Why fire the coach? A year or so of stability under him and then you could've evaluated whether you want to stay local or go back to international big spends.
Good post

Hafeez was on the right path but lost the plot in the 5th T20i v NZ. What the hell was he doing opening with Haseebullah and batting Sahibzada Farhan at 7?

Good post

Hafeez was on the right path but lost the plot in the 5th T20i v NZ. What the hell was he doing opening with Haseebullah and batting Sahibzada Farhan at 7?
If you're looking for a coach/manager who doesn't frustrate you and makes no mistakes, you'll be looking forever.

Even Alex Ferguson used to drive me crazy with his selections and stubbornness sometimes. Not that I'm saying Hafeez was going to turn into Ferguson but he seemed okay. You're not going to find any better than him in the short term.

I don't understand why PCB is so desperate to only hire foreign coaches. Give a chance to your local coaches just like Yasir Arafat, he is a qualified coach and also knows ur cricketing structure very well.

I don't understand why PCB is so desperate to only hire foreign coaches. Give a chance to your local coaches just like Yasir Arafat, he is a qualified coach and also knows ur cricketing structure very well.

Problem with local coaches is they don't have a method and the discipline to follow through with their ideas. After a while the players stop listening to them. Also they lack socal skills and start saying some odd stuff which ruin the dressing room.

Perfect example is Waqar.

Kirsten made India a #1 test team and a world cup winning side. He should be familiar with Desi affairs and will be a good pick.
Indian players made India no. 1. Not Kirsten.

Coaching is overrated for the national team.

If Langer is hired be will be invested in the job that’s for sure. How would he cope with the PCB, not sure but then again Naqvi does actually seem competent and willing to administer vs micro manage.

I don’t know if he would be dealing with a similar set up as Pakistan though at least India had some stability, he can talk to Geoff Lawson for a quick background on what to expect :yk I’d be surprised to see any top names

Sad to say but I can't imagine any foreign coach wanting to coach Pakistan unless they have really lucrative packages. Mickey Arthur in that respect really was an anomaly.

PCB need to start investing more in ex players getting their coaching degree overseas. If the state of Pakistan and Pakistan cricket remains as is, the turnover of foreign coaches will remain high. The only ones that will remain are the ones who already know the system and know what they're getting themselves into (essentially local Pakistanis).

If the PCB wants a top tier coach, they are going to have to compromise and agree to release him for the IPL. Otherwise go for a low tier coach.

Anyone who'd go for this job would be a total disaster to get themselves involved with this circus board as previous foreign and desi coaches have seen.

24×7 scrutiny by every single individual in and around the country and abroad its just too much a headache.

not sure about langer but yeah kristen did and this time he looks favourite to hold the position of Head Coach because of a huge money offering by PCB
Regardless of the money, they would know how the previous coaches have fared and how external factors wreck havoc in Pakistan on a daily basis.

This is all made up news , not true.

If someone like Watson rejected the offer , Kirsten and Langar is far beyond PCB.
They will ultimately go for some pakistani legend .

Find it crazy that a team like SRL has a champion coach like Silverwood and we have to pay big bucks for the big names.

All professionals looking to coach should follow Wasim Akram’s lead and run as far away from PCB as possible. The PCB is a mud and you don’t get out of a mud without getting yourself dirty. No need to tarnish your reputation and credibility by being associated with a cesspool that’s Pakistan cricket where backstabbing, micromanaging and petty politics dictate outcomes.

As none of these guys will make the slightest difference, go back to a respected elder like Mohsin Khan and getting a proper fielding coach to coach the national team and also coach the coaches at the domestic level. The batting and bowling coaches are a total waste of time and have no impact on the players once they reach the higher levels. Mentors should be available if required by players. For example if player is struggling against spin, he should be allowed to ask for specific mentor to work with him on that skill
Main coach Mohsin
batting Miandad
Bowling Waqar
Keeping coach Kamran
Fielding Majed
Manager Misbah
All deshi coaches. No blaming to others. Play to win hearts/kidney

Langer is a hard nosed Western Australian who is too much even for the Aussies and you want him coaching the likes of Abdullah Shafique ?

Pakistan will be beaten before they get onto the field.
To be honest Pakistan male team has no future just like our women team. if PCB is serious, they should go for someone First class hard working person for Aus/Eng.
Otherwise they can stick with useless Misbah/Waqar.

To be honest Pakistan male team has no future just like our women team. if PCB is serious, they should go for someone First class hard working person for Aus/Eng.
Otherwise they can stick with useless Misbah/Waqar.
There's no evidence that "tough love" works in any walk of life let alone in professional sport.

The best head coaches have always been the ones that have been good man managers who create a relaxed working environment and kept the dressing room happy.

Thats why Ronnie McDonald works better than Justin Langer , Gary Kirsten works better than Greg Chappell etc

You cannot treat an adult, professional side like they are school children.

Pakistani head coaches are the worst because the likes of Miandad, Waqar , Misbah and Hafeez are ex cricketers who treat the dressing room like their personal fiefdoms.

That approach is absolutely counter productive

Find it crazy that a team like SRL has a champion coach like Silverwood and we have to pay big bucks for the big names.

Why is Silverwood considered a "champion coach"?

There's no evidence that "tough love" works in any walk of life let alone in professional sport.

The best head coaches have always been the ones that have been good man managers who create a relaxed working environment and kept the dressing room happy.

Thats why Ronnie McDonald works better than Justin Langer , Gary Kirsten works better than Greg Chappell etc

You cannot treat an adult, professional side like they are school children.

Pakistani head coaches are the worst because the likes of Miandad, Waqar , Misbah and Hafeez are ex cricketers who treat the dressing room like their personal fiefdoms.

That approach is absolutely counter productive
Depends on players!!! Our players are greedy. They prefer Leagues over international matches. They save energy for useless leagues but reluctant to national duties just like WI players. They needs to deal harshly Perform or get lost. If you too gentle with them they will be all over the coach and make their own rules. They don't even work on their fitness. If its England/Australia, all these current players will be kicked out from national team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Main coach Mohsin
batting Miandad
Bowling Waqar
Keeping coach Kamran
Fielding Majed
Manager Misbah
All deshi coaches. No blaming to others. Play to win hearts/kidney
Keeping coach Kamran 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I know it was a joke… it got me laughing

During the press conference, PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi announced that the appointment of the head coach and coaching panel will be made public next week.

The issue isn't about whom the PCB is in touch with, it's about who is willing to coach Pakistan. I don't see renowned coaches like Garry, Langer, or Hesson accepting the offer, regardless of the amount of money they're offered.

Instead of facing the consistent embarrassment of rejection, it would be more prudent for them to swiftly hire a local coach and allocate this budget to other priorities.

Call me mad. But I'd take Younis Khan as head coach at this point. Will bring the discipline and experience. Was the captain when we won the 2009 T20 world cup. No nonsense and not corruptable. Will work well with the new selectors committee set up as he will have a say in selections as he wanted when offered the u19 coaching role.

Kirsten and Langer are currently IPL franchise coaches

Hesson is not in IPL now.. but there are also other coaches who are not in IPL now , may be they should strike a deal with them

Mahela, Gillespie, Cameron white, Simon Katich , Stuart Law, Hayden , philander, Ntini, Steyn , Alland Donald, Klusener, Graeme Hick, Gibbs, Eoin Morgan, Aaron Finch , Nathan Astle, Carl Hooper, Brian Lara, Walsh, etc

They can call each of them and see who is willing to give it a shot.

Such nonsense
No western coach worth his salt will touch the Pakistan job with the proverbial barge pole.
An easy life and plenty of money, to be earned on the franchise circuit.
The PCB will end up settling for a second rate coach who will get a pay off after he is, inevitably, sacked after Pakistan fail to win the T20 World Cup (which is also inevitable).
After this, many famous coaches will again be “contacted” …. Of course, a second rate coach will then be selected.

Rinse and repeat….

Kirsten and Langer are currently IPL franchise coaches

Hesson is not in IPL now.. but there are also other coaches who are not in IPL now , may be they should strike a deal with them

Mahela, Gillespie, Cameron white, Simon Katich , Stuart Law, Hayden , philander, Ntini, Steyn , Alland Donald, Klusener, Graeme Hick, Gibbs, Eoin Morgan, Aaron Finch , Nathan Astle, Carl Hooper, Brian Lara, Walsh, etc

They can call each of them and see who is willing to give it a shot.
Mahela is in charge of all of Mumbai teams worldwide. He is too busy to coach a national team. He didn't even pick BCCI's phone some months back.

I don't believe any high-profile cricketer or coach would be willing to coach Pakistan considering the numerous challenges they might face. The culture of Pakistani cricket seems irreparable. It requires a bottom-up approach, starting from the grassroots level rather than at the national level.

Such nonsense
No western coach worth his salt will touch the Pakistan job with the proverbial barge pole.
An easy life and plenty of money, to be earned on the franchise circuit.
The PCB will end up settling for a second rate coach who will get a pay off after he is, inevitably, sacked after Pakistan fail to win the T20 World Cup (which is also inevitable).
After this, many famous coaches will again be “contacted” …. Of course, a second rate coach will then be selected.

Rinse and repeat….
Exactly this is why they can’t find anyone to take the role , such an insecure job. Team has to keep winning for the coaches to stay otherwise bye bye

A competent selection committee is more important than a competent coach.

What can the coach do when you bring rubbish retired players like Imad and Amir back to the team and make the worst Test batsman in your history the Test captain.

Social media is reporting that Luke Ronchi will be the next head coach

What is this merry-go-round where every name under the sun is being thrown up in the media?

Pcb is at the wrong front here..

First chose your captain, then the support staff they want.

Babar - bring in Hayden - he works well and knows the team. Didn’t we also get to the final with him around!

Rizwan - have to bring in the MS setup, bring the two ladies along the boys may perform under them.

Shadab - don’t see him coming without Rehan n co.

Shaheen - it’s a recipe for disaster!

A competent selection committee is more important than a competent coach.

What can the coach do when you bring rubbish retired players like Imad and Amir back to the team and make the worst Test batsman in your history the Test captain.
How could any of the current lot be analytical selectors when they’re all friends with each other. Also, our countrymen are celebrating the return of two egotistical washed up players. They don’t see that they only did well in bursts and that too only in a secondary league. This wasn’t the IPL, there is a massive drop off in talent level between the IPL and PSL or Big Bash, or CPL. No, our fan just see these crybabies as dominant personalities and seem to feel off that.

A small part of me really hopes that Babar decides to sit this out. Let them have their cake and see how terrible it tastes. We have 1 world class player in the team and he gets disparaged for everything and these two-bit hacks are gonna be the saviors. Give me a break.

How could any of the current lot be analytical selectors when they’re all friends with each other. Also, our countrymen are celebrating the return of two egotistical washed up players. They don’t see that they only did well in bursts and that too only in a secondary league. This wasn’t the IPL, there is a massive drop off in talent level between the IPL and PSL or Big Bash, or CPL. No, our fan just see these crybabies as dominant personalities and seem to feel off that.

A small part of me really hopes that Babar decides to sit this out. Let them have their cake and see how terrible it tastes. We have 1 world class player in the team and he gets disparaged for everything and these two-bit hacks are gonna be the saviors. Give me a break.
Amir and Imad will do this drama of taking retirement back because they want to “help and serve” Pakistan but the reality is that a paid trip to USA and a chance to play in a World Cup was too attractive to decline.

They couldn’t care less about Pakistan. If they did, they wouldn’t have retired in the first place. Amir didn’t even have the excuse of getting dropped - he was an automatic choice, and would have remained an automatic choice in all formats but he decided to put himself above Pakistan in spite of the fact that he lost 5 years of his career because of his own actions.

Hopefully both will be humiliated at the World Cup and will disappear for good afterwards.

Can't blame the PCB, if both Shaheen and Wahab wanted these players then you have to fully back your captain and chief selector.

Lets be real the likes of Shaheen, Rauf have been taking their places for granted and they have not delivered since the Asia Cup 2023. It was about time they get put on notice as well.

Either would be good appointments but would probably start being pushed out when they crack the whip on fitness levels

Can't blame the PCB, if both Shaheen and Wahab wanted these players then you have to fully back your captain and chief selector.

Lets be real the likes of Shaheen, Rauf have been taking their places for granted and they have not delivered since the Asia Cup 2023. It was about time they get put on notice as well.
The PCB went and begged these selfish players to come back and made special accommodations. They aren’t even the likes of Imran, Wasim, or Mirandad, or Hanif that you would consider making some special arrangements for. Oh how far we’ve fallen.

Well well well. Nobody was expecting luke ronchi's name to pop up. I guess he previously declined the offer last year when Grant Bradburn was made the head coach instead. Let's see.

Well well well. Nobody was expecting luke ronchi's name to pop up. I guess he previously declined the offer last year when Grant Bradburn was made the head coach instead. Let's see.

LAHORE – Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) approached Luke Ronchi for the position of head coach of the national team, the sources close to the development said on Tuesday.

Ronchi is the current batting coach of the Kiwis.

The sources said that the talks between Ronchi and PCB officials were underway.

However, the details regarding finances and other matters are yet to be decided. The 42-year-old is carefully considering the offer and asked for time to make a decision.

The development follows refusals from Shane Watson, Mike Hesson, and Darren Sammy to coach the national team.

Ronchi had previously turned down a PCB offer last year, leading to Grant Bradburn’s appointment as head coach.

Ronchi has a significant presence in Pakistan cricket, especially playing for Islamabad United in the 2018 Pakistan Super League (PSL) where he emerged as the top run-scorer and earned the man of the match title in the final against Peshawar Zalmi, contributing to Islamabad United’s PSL title win.

The PCB officials are proceeding cautiously and confidentially with the coaching matters but have not confirmed these developments.

Source: Pak Observer

If this is the model Pakistan's going to follow for it's coach i.e. a low profile, upcoming but hungry and competent (hopefully...I have genuinely no idea) international, I think they would do well to provide him air cover from all the politics by also hiring an internal "name" over him. Someone who can sort of manage the egos, politics, personalities but doesn't have interest in the day to aspects of coaching - let's say a Wasim Akram type?

I would say Shastri for India, under whom we had a fair bit of success, was such a guy. The common feeling is that he was a players' coach who left the operational running of the team was run to others - the likes of Bharat Arun, Sridhar, Rathour.

Back