[REPORT] Shane Watson has withdrawn his candidacy for the position of head coach for Pakistan [Update on Post# 117]

Who should be the next head coach of the Pakistan Cricket Team?

• Total voters
Pakistan to pay highest-ever salary to Shane Watson for head coach role

Former Australian all-rounder, Shane Watson, who is in line to take over as Pakistan cricket team's head coach, is yet to make up his mind despite the PCB accepting his remuneration demands.

According to sources in the board, Watson has demanded $2 million annually, which is approximately around 46 million rupees per month, the highest fee ever paid to a foreign coach.

He conceded Watson was taking time to ink the contract because of the frequent changes within the PCB and the coaching staff.

This sounds like those thieving auto drivers, reluctant to go to the passenger's destination, demand an exorbitant amount so the passenger would refuse.

But here the passenger (PCB) says OK let's roll. :ROFLMAO:

Why is PCB so desperate to hire him that they are willing to offer that much money to Shane?

----------------------------

Former Australian all-rounder, Shane Watson, who is in line to take over as Pakistan cricket team's head coach, is yet to make up his mind despite the PCB accepting his remuneration demands.

According to sources in the board, Watson has demanded $2 million annually, which is approximately around 46 million rupees per month, the highest fee ever paid to a foreign coach.

Former foreign coaches of Pakistan such as Richard Pybus, Bob Woolmer, Geoff Lawson, Dav Whatmore, Grant Bradburn and Mickey Arthur were paid much less than what Watson has demanded.

He has a young family in Australia and also has commitments in the USA Major League. So, he is weighing his options as the board wants him to spend maximum time in Pakistan helping them also discover and groom talent at domestic level, the source said.

He conceded Watson was taking time to ink the contract because of the frequent changes within the PCB and the coaching staff.

Watson, at present, is coaching the Quetta Gladiators in the Pakistan Super League (PSL) and has no prior experience of coaching an international team although he has dabbled in coaching roles in the Indian Premier League (IPL)
PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi had made it clear that he would want a foreign coaching set-up to run the team with the full backing of the board.

Naqvi, despite being appointed as minister of interior, has also indicated he has no intention of leaving his post in the board and will do both the jobs simultaneously.

However, it will not be the first time an official heading the PCB has also held a position in the government, and the source said the International Cricket Council (ICC) had no objection to Naqvi donning the dual role.

Naqvi has already got six bureaucrats of the Punjab government to work on deputation in the board and also announced that he would be taking no salary as minister of interior.

SOURCE: https://www.business-standard.com/cricket/news/pakistan-to-pay-highest-ever-salary-to-shane-watson-for-head-coach-role-124031400176_1.html

Would be quite stupid if this happens. This is a huge sum of money that PCB are effectively throwing away.

There seems to be prevailing thought if you get a big name foreign coach that Pakistan fortunes will completely change and this team will become a juggernaut. I assure you, that will not happen. This team isn't going to magically become a great team just because there is a bigger name coach there. The talent simply isn't there for them to be a top tier team and no coach is magically changing that. He doesn't have coaching experience either to justify such a high salary either.

I would rather give each franchise $350k each year to add it to the platinum pick and get prime players to play in IPL...

Why is PCB so desperate to hire him that they are willing to offer that much money to Shane?

----------------------------

Former foreign coaches of Pakistan such as Richard Pybus, Bob Woolmer, Geoff Lawson, Dav Whatmore, Grant Bradburn and Mickey Arthur were paid much less than what Watson has demanded.

He has a young family in Australia and also has commitments in the USA Major League. So, he is weighing his options as the board wants him to spend maximum time in Pakistan helping them also discover and groom talent at domestic level, the source said.

Watson, at present, is coaching the Quetta Gladiators in the Pakistan Super League (PSL) and has no prior experience of coaching an international team although he has dabbled in coaching roles in the Indian Premier League (IPL)
PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi had made it clear that he would want a foreign coaching set-up to run the team with the full backing of the board.

Naqvi, despite being appointed as minister of interior, has also indicated he has no intention of leaving his post in the board and will do both the jobs simultaneously.

However, it will not be the first time an official heading the PCB has also held a position in the government, and the source said the International Cricket Council (ICC) had no objection to Naqvi donning the dual role.

Naqvi has already got six bureaucrats of the Punjab government to work on deputation in the board and also announced that he would be taking no salary as minister of interior.

SOURCE: https://www.business-standard.com/cricket/news/pakistan-to-pay-highest-ever-salary-to-shane-watson-for-head-coach-role-124031400176_1.html
Will not invest in improving stadium and general facilities for players and fans. But will spend $2 Million annually to a new foreign coach.

Splendid!

I would rather give each franchise $350k each year to add it to the platinum pick and get prime players to play in IPL...
I am even in favor of giving $10 Million annually. But then bring someone established and experience with credible performances. Someone like Stephen Flemming lets say.

Imagine paying Watson $2m, and he gives us a team with Rizwan as captain and Babar opening with him?

You could pay Saqlain Mushtaq or Misbah to do this role for $2k

Imagine paying Watson $2m, and he gives us a team with Rizwan as captain and Babar opening with him?

You could pay Saqlain Mushtaq or Misbah to do this role for $2k
distribute this $2m into the team they will start performing without any coaching staff :ROFLMAO:

Of whose money? We don’t have trees that grow money like that
Of whoever is paying right now. Whatever the amount maybe. They know better. I don't run their finances.

But understand my point here. What is a new and certainly inexperienced foreign coach going to bring in that it is so worth paying that PCB will pay much more than it has paid to any other coach before.

No foreign coach would be willing to associate with a circus cricket board that changes its chairman every few months.

A board with no stability and no sense of what it needs to be doing who in their right mind would like to do a job which has so much scrutiny associated to it.

Even though in the poll I've voted for Mike Hesson who's got much more experience than Watto as Sammy is with Windies.

LOl sammy? The guy who made WI into a terrible team?

Shane Watson can place the players back in there place so he would be a good addition. Like Nadeem Omar replacing Sarfraz? That only happened cause of Watson.

If we are paying a coach $2m, I’m expecting the team to be able to score 450 in 50 over cricket and 270 in 20 over cricket

Thats a lot of moola, let’s not forget Watson will need a coaching staff as well so that’s goona cost $ on top of the $2mill. I’d be weary, because he has a young family who I doubt will be moving to Pakistan. Part of the deal should be a stipulation that Watson has to live in Pakistan for a specified period of time each year otherwise we’ll get another overpaid zoom coach.

As per a media report…watson will be appointed as only white ball head coach , and he will be paid such huge amount only for white ball.. Also, he is not ready to live all year around in Pakistan.. rather he will come to Pak, only for training camps, and travel with team…

What are Watson’s coaching credentials at all? What are his coaching qualifications? Why is PCB so desperate to hire him, and meet his unreasonable demands, and willing to pay such hefty amount for only white ball coaching? Why not hire an experienced top tier coach for such huge salary?

@Saj any insights on this? Why so much desperation from PCB to hire Watson?

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all our current team has no future. Its a waste of money even if you put any coach but if PCB insisting they should at least find A grade coach from Eng/Aus.

Watson is not worth that much. The PCB can use half that money to attract someone more deserving

As per media reports, The Pakistan Cricket Board could be forced to appoint separate red-ball and white-ball coaches since Shane Watson is only interested in limited-overs cricket.

The former Australian all-rounder, Watson, is not willing to commit to a year-round presence in Pakistan which is why a separate coach for Test cricket could be appointed.

Watson has been offered an annual salary of $2 million by the PCB. If the agreement is signed, Watson could potentially become the highest-paid coach in the history of Pakistan cricket.

Watson is seriously considering the offer and could accept the role when he is formally approached by the PCB.

The Mohsin Naqvi-led PCB is interested in appointing a strong coaching staff for the cricket team.

In order to fill the vacancy in time for the upcoming T20I series against New Zealand at home, the PCB is also considering the possibility of appointing local coaches along with foreign consultants incase the contract with Watson is not signed before the series.

As per media reports, The Pakistan Cricket Board could be forced to appoint separate red-ball and white-ball coaches since Shane Watson is only interested in limited-overs cricket.

The former Australian all-rounder, Watson, is not willing to commit to a year-round presence in Pakistan which is why a separate coach for Test cricket could be appointed.

Watson has been offered an annual salary of $2 million by the PCB. If the agreement is signed, Watson could potentially become the highest-paid coach in the history of Pakistan cricket.

Watson is seriously considering the offer and could accept the role when he is formally approached by the PCB.

The Mohsin Naqvi-led PCB is interested in appointing a strong coaching staff for the cricket team.

In order to fill the vacancy in time for the upcoming T20I series against New Zealand at home, the PCB is also considering the possibility of appointing local coaches along with foreign consultants incase the contract with Watson is not signed before the series.
For $2 million he should be required to relocate to Pakistan. What foolishness is this to give such a large sum of money for a part time coach. That too without any pedigree.

Naqvi needs to relinquish the PCB chairmanship or the ministry. Can’t do both at the same time and expect to be competent.

It is not PCB own’s money my friend.

PCB is not somebody’s private limited company.
PCB does not take tax money, PCB makes its own revenue and is one of those few govt institutes that turns a profit, thus PCB is using its own money.

PCB does not take tax money, PCB makes its own revenue and is one of those few govt institutes that turns a profit, thus PCB is using its own money.
Government institutions do not have the right to do whatever they want with the money. Their main objective is to prioritise national interest, invest in the infrastructure and give due consideration to the public voice.

For $2 million he should be required to relocate to Pakistan. What foolishness is this to give such a large sum of money for a part time coach. That too without any pedigree.

Naqvi needs to relinquish the PCB chairmanship or the ministry. Can’t do both at the same time and expect to be competent.
Naqvi wants to make a big move. It's all about PR in Pakistan Cricket. Not about caring for real issues.

Hahhah ...his team QG is getting mauled here and PCB deciding to hire him on a stupendous paycheck...What an irony.

Government institutions do not have the right to do whatever they want with the money. Their main objective is to prioritise national interest, invest in the infrastructure and give due consideration to the public voice.
By hiring a coach they are investing in cricket

Wasim Akram in the Pavilion show mentioned that according to his sources in the QG camp, Watson was running a dictatorial one man show where he refused to listen to the feedback from the local support staff.

Wasim Akram in the Pavilion show mentioned that according to his sources in the QG camp, Watson was running a dictatorial one man show where he refused to listen to the feedback from the local support staff.
That’s what Pakistan needs tbh

Otherwise Rizwan will control everything

That’s what Pakistan needs tbh

Otherwise Rizwan will control everything

Watson was bought in as coach much later after the PSL draft. I hope next season he is given more control to decide the make up of the squad. QG team was pretty unbalanced.

And they have paid the price for it.

If I was him I'd take that money without any hesitation... the way the PCB is run he'll randomly be released after a few months and it's payday for no work after that

So apparently Shane Watson decided against Rutherford playing the game today because he deserted his side earlier.

Guy is no nonsense

If Pakistan soft fans thought Hafeez was a strict authoritarian,

This guy Watson is an absolute brute Aussie.

All the speculations of Shane being the next head coach have died now.

-------------------------------
As per reports:

Shane Watson has withdrawn his candidacy for the position of head coach for Pakistan.

Watson has chosen to fulfill his existing coaching and commentary obligations for now. At present, Watson has a commentary contract with the IPL and serves as the head coach for the San Francisco Unicorns in Major League Cricket, in addition to his role with Quetta Gladiators. He also has a young family and resides in Sydney.

Had he accepted a full-time position with Pakistan, he would have taken up the role immediately, ahead of Pakistan’s upcoming limited-overs series against New Zealand in April, and committed to Pakistan’s year-round limited-overs programme.

With Watson’s withdrawal from consideration, Pakistan continues to lack a head coach in the lead-up to the five-match T20I series against New Zealand. Furthermore, Pakistan is scheduled to compete in T20Is against England in May, prior to the T20 World Cup in June.​

If Pakistan soft fans thought Hafeez was a strict authoritarian,

This guy Watson is an absolute brute Aussie.
Being strict is not the issue. Hafeez appeared to be dumb and selfish through his analysis, approach and interviews.

Why would anyone want to coach PCB after Mickey saga.. hire a local desi one.. from QEA who has won the local tournaments as coach

Why would anyone want to coach PCB after Mickey saga.. hire a local desi one.. from QEA who has won the local tournaments as coach

Agreed. We need a desi coach to go with the clueless administration which had no idea that Karachi public didn't want to watch PSL.

Forget Pakistan cricketers being able to hack this guy

I don’t think the fans can hack him either. Especially the ones that found their “love” for Pakistan cricket in 2019 when Imran Khan was appointed PM of Pakistan

On top of that, the Chairman has already clearly told the players that he is a ‘be-lehaaz’ person, he won’t care one bit if he receives a single negative complaint about them.

Soft cricketers
Soft fans
Agenda driven journalists especially supporting some players

————-
Be-lehaaz chairman
No nonsense coach

Work it out for yourselves

Because there are 10-12 Test member teams and getting a coaching gig with anyone of those teams looks good on your resume.

There are thousands of coaches but only 12 test members (the highest quality of cricket membership), so when a coaching spot opens up in an international test member team, so does the demand.

PCB being volatile is not a phenomena of 2021, but it has been like this since the 1990s, yet it did not stop Lawson, Whatmore, Mickey (twice), Dean Jones and many others to not to apply

I think someone from the board approached him for the position and he didn’t want to offend them. So he went ahead and made some impossible demands which he knows they won’t accept.

All the speculations of Shane being the next head coach have died now.

-------------------------------
As per reports:

Shane Watson has withdrawn his candidacy for the position of head coach for Pakistan.

Watson has chosen to fulfill his existing coaching and commentary obligations for now. At present, Watson has a commentary contract with the IPL and serves as the head coach for the San Francisco Unicorns in Major League Cricket, in addition to his role with Quetta Gladiators. He also has a young family and resides in Sydney.

Had he accepted a full-time position with Pakistan, he would have taken up the role immediately, ahead of Pakistan’s upcoming limited-overs series against New Zealand in April, and committed to Pakistan’s year-round limited-overs programme.

With Watson’s withdrawal from consideration, Pakistan continues to lack a head coach in the lead-up to the five-match T20I series against New Zealand. Furthermore, Pakistan is scheduled to compete in T20Is against England in May, prior to the T20 World Cup in June.​

A blessing in disguise in all honesty. Paying 2M for a board that barely makes money would be beyond stupid.

This money is better off invested in domestic, upgrading facilities and focus on player development.

Personally, I think they should focus on getting a progressive coach than a bigger name.

Wasim Akram revealed on a local sports channel program what Shane Watson told him about why Quetta Gladiators did not play Sherfane Rutherford in Eliminator 1 of PSL 9 against Islamabad United:

"We [Shane Watson and Wasim Akram] know each other, we've worked together in several tournaments. Even in the first edition of the PSL, he played for Islamabad United. He's a very nice guy, very professional and straightforward, a typical Aussie person."

"He told me, I had said from the beginning that when I joined Quetta, my style would be a bit different. There's something different in terms of the dressing room and organization. Everyone has clarity about their roles."

"And I also said that in the middle of the tournament, no one will go anywhere, and whoever leaves won't come back to the team. So he mentioned this before."

"Watson did something that we Pakistanis, especially in cricket, couldn't even imagine."

Unhappiness Over Salary Details Leaked to Media, IPL Commitment: Why Shane Watson Turned Down Offer to Coach Pakistan​

Australia legend Shane Watson recently dropped out from the race to become the next Pakistan men’s team head coach despite the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) reportedly meeting his salary demands.

Besides Watson, West Indies legend Daren Sammy was also among the candidates PCB were considering for the role but the two-time world cup winning captain also opted out since he’s already contracted to the West Indies board.

According to a report in news agency PTI, the PCB held discussions with Watson during the PSL 2024 Watson was contracted to Quetta Gladiators as their head coach.

“Watson had initially shown interest and kept certain financial and other conditions to accept the offer,” a source was quoted as saying.

PCB accepted Watson’s financial demands but the Australian reportedly wasn’t happy with the pay package details being leaked to the Pakistan media.

The PCB reportedly agreed to a USD 2 million dollar annual remuneration for Watson.

“But after the board more or less accepted Watson’s financial demands the Australian was not happy that details of the proposed package were leaked out in the Pakistan media and social media,” the source said.

Watson then turned down the offer citing prior commitments as a commentator in IPL and also in the major USA league besides wanting to give more time to his young family in Sydney.

PCB will now go for an interim arrangement for the national team to supervise the training camp in Kakul from March 25 to April 8 ahead of the home five-match T20 series against New Zealand from April 14 in Lahore and Rawalpindi.

“A team of local coaches as an interim arrangement for the camp and NZ series is the only available option for the PCB now and Chairman Mohsin Naqvi will be required to make a call after the PSL final on 18th March,” the source said.

Naqvi has made it clear that he is keen on appointing foreign coaches for the national team on a long term basis, covering the World T20 Cup in West Indies and USA and Champions Trophy early next year in Pakistan.

The source said that former Pakistan captains, Younis Khan, Muhammad Yousuf, Inzamam ul Haq, Moin Khan were also under consideration for the time being.

Unhappiness Over Salary Details Leaked to Media, IPL Commitment: Why Shane Watson Turned Down Offer to Coach Pakistan​

Australia legend Shane Watson recently dropped out from the race to become the next Pakistan men’s team head coach despite the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) reportedly meeting his salary demands.

Besides Watson, West Indies legend Daren Sammy was also among the candidates PCB were considering for the role but the two-time world cup winning captain also opted out since he’s already contracted to the West Indies board.

According to a report in news agency PTI, the PCB held discussions with Watson during the PSL 2024 Watson was contracted to Quetta Gladiators as their head coach.

“Watson had initially shown interest and kept certain financial and other conditions to accept the offer,” a source was quoted as saying.

PCB accepted Watson’s financial demands but the Australian reportedly wasn’t happy with the pay package details being leaked to the Pakistan media.

The PCB reportedly agreed to a USD 2 million dollar annual remuneration for Watson.

“But after the board more or less accepted Watson’s financial demands the Australian was not happy that details of the proposed package were leaked out in the Pakistan media and social media,” the source said.

Watson then turned down the offer citing prior commitments as a commentator in IPL and also in the major USA league besides wanting to give more time to his young family in Sydney.

PCB will now go for an interim arrangement for the national team to supervise the training camp in Kakul from March 25 to April 8 ahead of the home five-match T20 series against New Zealand from April 14 in Lahore and Rawalpindi.

“A team of local coaches as an interim arrangement for the camp and NZ series is the only available option for the PCB now and Chairman Mohsin Naqvi will be required to make a call after the PSL final on 18th March,” the source said.

Naqvi has made it clear that he is keen on appointing foreign coaches for the national team on a long term basis, covering the World T20 Cup in West Indies and USA and Champions Trophy early next year in Pakistan.

The source said that former Pakistan captains, Younis Khan, Muhammad Yousuf, Inzamam ul Haq, Moin Khan were also under consideration for the time being.

Respect to Watson for this.

PCB were like we will give you what you want, but we will make sure we shame you through the media for it.

Only in Pakistan will you see such unprofessional behaviour.

Who’d want the world to know how much they make and in a sporting world it will introduce the wrong sort of attention before you’ve even started the job.

I don’t think he was right for the job but PCB have outdone themselves again.

Respect to Watson for this.

PCB were like we will give you what you want, but we will make sure we shame you through the media for it.

Only in Pakistan will you see such unprofessional behaviour.

Who’d want the world to know how much they make and in a sporting world it will introduce the wrong sort of attention before you’ve even started the job.

I don’t think he was right for the job but PCB have outdone themselves again.
Salary details for Cricketers and high profile coaching jobs are always in the public domain

Salary details for Cricketers and high profile coaching jobs are always in the public domain

I didn’t realise there was a database out there detailing personal data like it was a normal thing. If you have a link to this information that would be interesting to read

As per media reports, Shane Watson during PSL 9, he received $150,000 from Quetta Gladiators, which translates to approximately 4 crore and 20 lakh rupees. Despite earning a daily fee of 15 lakh rupees during his 28-day stay. Former mentor Vivian Richards used to earn up to $100,000, reduced to $75,000 due to COVID, while Moin Khan had a contract starting at $50,000, with bonuses for reaching playoffs and finals.

Last edited:
As per media reports, Shane Watson during PSL 9, he received $150,000 from Quetta Gladiators, which translates to approximately 4 crore and 20 lakh rupees. Despite earning a daily fee of 15 lakh rupees during his 28-day stay. Former mentor Vivian Richards used to earn up to $100,000, reduced to $75,000 due to COVID, while Moin Khan had a contract starting at $50,000, with bonuses for reaching playoffs and finals.

What a waste of money. And they can't even paint the roof of Gadaffi stadium? I am sure it wouldn't even cost $10k.

Pakistani sports journalists are behaving like jolted ex lovers now. First they were abusing Watson for asking 2m USD, now they are abusing him for saying no to PCB because of IPL commitments.

No coach really makes a difference. We are a team of mavericks and always will be. Most of our boys won't even understand the instructions of a native English speaker.

Mohsin Naqvi on Watson's withdrawal from the candidacy of coaching:

“I assure you that we will appoint the head coach within the next one week or ten days,”

"We were also in talks with Shane Watson and one reason for him not accepting the offer was because so many things leaked out in the media most of which were not correct,”

Back