[VIDEO] "I would've banned Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis forever": Ramiz Raja

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZO9TH9rwU2c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ramiz said that he was powerless when Akram and Younis were brought back into the system and had no choice but to work with them. Akram, who was a leading figure in the report, was fined and removed from the captaincy after the report was made public. Waqar was also fined for his involvement.

Both returned to Pakistan cricket in coaching roles, with Waqar having two separate stints as the side's head coach.

"I think no one should have had the chance (of coming back to Pakistan cricket). If Wasim Akram's name is in there, and he was censured for not cooperating, right? It was a borderline case. If I was the decision maker at the time, I would've banned them forever," Raja said.

"You brought them back to system. I wasn't in power at the time. We were told to play with them and work with them, and that was it. No one knew how to tackle that. So many people were involved in that. I don't know what the compulsion was."

When asked about his stance on the banned trio of former skipper Salman Butt, pacers Mohammad Amir, and Mohammad Asif, Raja said: "Whoever is tainted, I've zero tolerance on it."

The trio was banned in 2010 for their role in spot fixing, and after serving his punishment, Amir made a return for Pakistan in 2016, but was not considered for selection during Raja’s tenure as PCB chief.

"I'm absolutely clear. People say they've had their punishment; move on. But I've experienced such situations," said Ramiz.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...sim-akram-waqar-younis-watch-article-96637225

He has always had a very strong dislike for match fixers. He was sternly against the return of Aamir as well. Can't blame him, he doesn't view Wasim and Waqar as superstars like their fans do. He merely sees them as cricketers who tainted their team.

I admire his patience in this interview. The host asked the same question a dozen times. Is he deaf or slow?

Lifetime ban with zero exceptions is the only effective deterrent against fixing.

Lifetime ban with zero exceptions is the only effective deterrent against fixing.

No it is not.

Pakistani, Indians, and South African players were banned for life after the match fixing investigations of the 90s.

Did it stop the Pak trio from fixing in 2010? No. Did Hansa Cronje public case, ban, humiliation, and death, stop SA players from fixing? No. Did the bans of Azharuddin and co prevent Indian players from fixing? No.

The only effective deterrent to fixing is higher salaries.

No it is not.

Pakistani, Indians, and South African players were banned for life after the match fixing investigations of the 90s.

Did it stop the Pak trio from fixing in 2010? No. Did Hansa Cronje public case, ban, humiliation, and death, stop SA players from fixing? No. Did the bans of Azharuddin and co prevent Indian players from fixing? No.

Which is why I said lifetime ban with zero exceptions.

That is the key. For all the players that were barred for life, there are several players that were given a lifeline & allowed to resume their careers.

Even if you ban 99 fixers for life & give a second chance to 1, regardless of which team he plays for, you are giving hope to players (who have tendency to fix) that they can get away with it.

If you adopt a zero tolerance policy, which means you will never get a second chance in international or domestic cricket, the vast majority of players will be unwilling to take risk especially those who have plenty of cricket left in the tank.

Higher salaries might help somewhat, but if it was really effective there wouldn’t be any fixing in franchise cricket but there is.

100% elimination is not possible, but in my opinion, banning players from professional cricket for life & not making any exceptions is the most effective way of discouraging this practice.

Which is why I said lifetime ban with zero exceptions.

That is the key. For all the players that were barred for life, there are several players that were given a lifeline & allowed to resume their careers.

Even if you ban 99 fixers for life & give a second chance to 1, regardless of which team he plays for, you are giving hope to players (who have tendency to fix) that they can get away with it.

If you adopt a zero tolerance policy, which means you will never get a second chance in international or domestic cricket, the vast majority of players will be unwilling to take risk especially those who have plenty of cricket left in the tank.

Higher salaries might help somewhat, but if it was really effective there wouldn’t be any fixing in franchise cricket but there is.

100% elimination is not possible, but in my opinion, banning players from professional cricket for life & not making any exceptions is the most effective way of discouraging this practice.

The players banned in the 90s were banned for life, and none of them ever returned to playing cricket.

The one's who do fix in franchise cricket are either poor, unknowns, or looking to make a fast buck because they know they may not get another chance to play cos they are rubbish.

Higher saleries help immensely. If a player is paid £1000000 a year, he has no reason to bowl a no ball for a paltry £1000.

Though what I would say is this, that making an example of a corrupt player can go a long way depending on punishment. A simple ban with no exceptions is not as effective as putting a fixer in jail for 10 years minimum. And yes, the Pak trio were sentenced to prison in the UK, which will act as a deterrent to any player thinking about fixing in the UK, but not in Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh where this is no custodial punishment for fixing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZO9TH9rwU2c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ramiz said that he was powerless when Akram and Younis were brought back into the system and had no choice but to work with them. Akram, who was a leading figure in the report, was fined and removed from the captaincy after the report was made public. Waqar was also fined for his involvement.

Both returned to Pakistan cricket in coaching roles, with Waqar having two separate stints as the side's head coach.

"I think no one should have had the chance (of coming back to Pakistan cricket). If Wasim Akram's name is in there, and he was censured for not cooperating, right? It was a borderline case. If I was the decision maker at the time, I would've banned them forever," Raja said.

"You brought them back to system. I wasn't in power at the time. We were told to play with them and work with them, and that was it. No one knew how to tackle that. So many people were involved in that. I don't know what the compulsion was."

When asked about his stance on the banned trio of former skipper Salman Butt, pacers Mohammad Amir, and Mohammad Asif, Raja said: "Whoever is tainted, I've zero tolerance on it."

The trio was banned in 2010 for their role in spot fixing, and after serving his punishment, Amir made a return for Pakistan in 2016, but was not considered for selection during Raja’s tenure as PCB chief.

"I'm absolutely clear. People say they've had their punishment; move on. But I've experienced such situations," said Ramiz.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...sim-akram-waqar-younis-watch-article-96637225

Blabbering like a hypocrite coward again.
NO. YOU WERE NOT POWERLESS!

If you truly were such a man of principles and high on your horse of righteousness, then you would’ve simply AND BRAVELY extended your resignation.
Why did you play alongside with them? Where was your zameer?

This is the first I've heard Waqar involved in match-fixing.

Was there any proof in the Qayyum Report about him?

Ramiz has really gone off a cliff IMO. Sure he was discarded in the middle of the night, but he could have gone out gracefully and just returned to the commentary box. He’s taking the scorched earth route, taking personal shots against former teammates and administrators. He sounds quite scattered at times, rambling on about how great the team was under his leadership. It’s actually shameless for him to take credit for the 2021 T20 wc performance as he didn’t have much of a hand in that unless bringing in Hayden and Philander was his master stroke. He doesn’t even talk about the pathetic red ball performance. All in all it was a mediocre tenure and he’s tainting himself further with these nonsensical interviews where he’s defending himself and touting his accomplishments like he’s on trial.

Mohammad Hafeez and Azhar Ali were dead against Mohammad Amir being brought back but their arms were twisted by the Admin at that time.

If you truly were such a man of principles and high on your horse of righteousness, then you would’ve simply AND BRAVELY extended your resignation.

Exactly, RR was playing with them during the 90s! Funny thing is RR will be the first to praise Wasim for taking those 2 wickets in the 1992 final. In fact there's countless videos of RR doing just that, and one in particular with SKY Sports documentary on Wasim and Waqar. RR couldn't stop praising the duo!

First there was wasim making comments of Waqar shouldn’t have been captain in his book. Then much worse Ramiz is saying this on live tv. These guys will probably be commentating together at some point..

First there was wasim making comments of Waqar shouldn’t have been captain in his book. Then much worse Ramiz is saying this on live tv. These guys will probably be commentating together at some point..

Exactly - wont go down too well with Wasim who will react.

Waqar generally ignores these things.

As i said it dozen times in these forums these 1992 world cup winners love media limelight and attention way too much.

The sooner ( i doubt ) i current and future generation move away from 92 stars, the better it is.

I agree with Rameez Raja on this stance! Even though he removed Misbah and was a bad pcb chairman, i will still consider him as the best chairmanw e ever had just for keeping fixers out of the team

The players banned in the 90s were banned for life, and none of them ever returned to playing cricket.

The one's who do fix in franchise cricket are either poor, unknowns, or looking to make a fast buck because they know they may not get another chance to play cos they are rubbish.

Higher saleries help immensely. If a player is paid £1000000 a year, he has no reason to bowl a no ball for a paltry £1000.

Though what I would say is this, that making an example of a corrupt player can go a long way depending on punishment. A simple ban with no exceptions is not as effective as putting a fixer in jail for 10 years minimum. And yes, the Pak trio were sentenced to prison in the UK, which will act as a deterrent to any player thinking about fixing in the UK, but not in Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh where this is no custodial punishment for fixing.

umm a professional cricketer is never poor. they earn money which a normal person cant even make....

a cricketer in associate country earns less

Exactly, RR was playing with them during the 90s! Funny thing is RR will be the first to praise Wasim for taking those 2 wickets in the 1992 final. In fact there's countless videos of RR doing just that, and one in particular with SKY Sports documentary on Wasim and Waqar. RR couldn't stop praising the duo!

Maybe Wasim Akram wasn't fixing games as of 1992? His reputation for that stuff began later in the decade.

so you are saying, Rameez Raja, who had an honest career should had resigned and thrown away his career while the fixers enjoyed making more money?

Do you see the logic in your statement.

Rameez Raja is right, these fixers who sold the country for money, who bought the game in doubt, should had never been allowed near the PCB hq again.

Amir was rightly not even allowed to us NCA facilities. Sharjeel khan was rightly not allowed back in the team.

Hafeez and Azhar also said this, but Najem Sethi pressured them that you will lose your jobs while these fixers wont, so learn to deal with it.

What is the point of raising the late 90s issues now when you are removed from your job? Why former Pakistan cricketers cannot move on from that incident? It is well known fact that Ramiz got PCB's top post because of his connection with Imran Khan. Instead of accepting failures during his tenure he is digging 20 year old issues. Ramiz is the man who told BBC podcast how he guided Babar to plan Rohit Sharma's dismissal. When it comes to taking credit he will claim everything even if it's not his area of domain.

But he won't speak on below issues:

Why full time Head Coach & proper fielding coach was not hired?
Inconsistencies in selection
Non-cricketing pitches
No bench strength was developed. Same set of players played even against minnows

Exactly - wont go down too well with Wasim who will react.

Waqar generally ignores these things.

Wasim did write bakwas though... He made an allegation that just because Rameez's father was a DC which is why Rameez was fielding at slip. It was a stupid comment by him, and what Rameez has said is a simple fact. Waseem Akram was a corrupt player

Maybe Wasim Akram wasn't fixing games as of 1992? His reputation for that stuff began later in the decade.

The SKY doc I am referring to was from last decade. After the class of 92 retired, after the Justice Q report, the next century, RR continued to praise the 2 Ws.

Ramiz is playing a very dangerous game here

He better hope no skeletons from his closet ever appear in the limelight

There’s no point crying about it now. They’re also in the category of just allegations.

What’s worse is, he’s doing it after rightfully getting the boot.

He had no capacity or competency to lead the PCB. But, Khan Sahab had to ruin our cricket and the PCB by not just dissolving the departments but also make one another incompetent the chairperson.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Ramiz kept Amir out, then that’s the only thing I admire about him.

It was never made clear whether Wasim etc were actually involved in anything.

But for Amir and Salman, they were caught red handed. It will be shameful if Sethi brings Amir back and it will be worse than the millions he wasted on chasing that legal case.

I did not expect this from Sethi.

The SKY doc I am referring to was from last decade. After the class of 92 retired, after the Justice Q report, the next century, RR continued to praise the 2 Ws.

Fixing is a seperste matter, Ramiz praising the ability and on field cricjeting contribution of two Ws is a seperate matter. Why should he deny that tge two Ws were great cricketers?

Ramiz in the interview is only answering questions, and has implied that if he was chairman at the time of Qayyom report he would had zero tolerance for anyine proven to have fixed matches, as for two Ws nothing was clarified and no one knew how to handle the situation.

Last edited:
Ramiz in the interview is only answering questions, and has implied that if he was chairman at the time of Qayyom report he would had zero tolerance for anyine proven to have fixed matches, as for two Ws nothing was clarified and no one knew how to handle the situation.

I feel that the interviewer did his best to get something out of Ramiz - and he succeeded!

Was wondering when Rameez would have his leash and muzzle take off, this guy constantly feels need to be centre of attention when he talks, probably loves the sound of his own voice.

Fixing is a seperste matter, Ramiz praising the ability and on field cricjeting contribution of two Ws is a seperate matter. Why should he deny that tge two Ws were great cricketers?

Simply because Cricket is more than just performances, it is also about character and charisma.

What is he actually talking about? The Qayyum report came out in 2000. He was no longer playing, so he didn’t have “continue playing with them”

I think he’s lost the plot.

Look if you have a stance regarding this, fine, that should be respected.

He didn't want Mohammad Amir, Sharjeel Khan etc picked.

But then at the same time, he was sat there in the commentary box with Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, working alongside them. Why didn't he refuse to do that or object to them being there.

Simply because Cricket is more than just performances, it is also about character and charisma.

It was not Ramiz decision to allow 2 Ws to continue playing or have any role in Pakistani cricket, so still not sure why he should not acknowledget hat that the 2 Ws were great cricketers, and why should he not playin any Pakistani team or participate in a commentry box if the PCB found no reason to ban them.

Last edited:
Ramiz is crying like a baby whose candy has been taken away from them. Someone of his stature was expected to go out gracefully rather than behave like an unhinged individual.

He is only destroying his own image and reputation with these interviews in the media.

I am of the same mindset as RR on fixers but if a fixer is a good player, too many people have an interest in their return. Any player caught spot or match fixing should be banned from the national side, but if its a low level offence like failing to report an approach then they should be allowed to earn a living by playing for the local teams/ franchise after serving a ban

Last edited:
I watched this after reading the comments and thought Ramiz was going to be angry and bitter.

Instead after watching the video I am of the opinion that he was merely expressing the consistency of his stance on fixers and said absolutely nothing wrong.

Lets be clear here - if there was a PakPassion back in the day many of us would have been creating threads that wanted the tainted players punished.

Ramiz is once again 100% correct here, a strong PCB chairman (at that time) would have taken stronger action.

What did Waqar Younis do?

This was what report said about Waqar
As regards the general allegations, they are generally baseless. No evidence has been proffered to support them. The evidence against Waqar Younis is primarily hearsay (even then mostly from anonymous sources) and unsubstantiated. Possession of a cellular phone has no probative value unless it is alleged to have been used during a match to fix that match. As such they alone are insufficient to hold Waqar Younis guilty to the requisite standard.

Ever since he has been removed from the PCB job, he has gone into full destruction mode and ruining his relations with everyone. Doubt he will have anyone to work with in the future a this rate.

Ramiz Raja was a terrible batsman who was lucky to even play for Pakistan.

He was and remains a terrible commentator too, with virtually no knowledge of the Pakistani domestic scene and no useful insight whatsoever about any member of the team.

He was a broadly useless administrator, who failed to ensure that pitches for our home series suited us, and who thought the solution to this was to bring in drop in pitches. This is a strategy that those who really are knowledgeable about the game, like Kumar Sangakarra, have said is a terrible idea. He oversaw the worst home results for us, in our entire history.

Ramiz has therefore got all these gigs on the back of one attribute alone - his ability to speak fluent English. He is an imposter who really shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath as legends such as Wasim and Waqar.

So before Ramiz tells us that he would have banned Wasim and Waqar, like as if Ramiz is some kind of supreme authority and figure of respect, he really needs to stop and think how ridiculous he sounds. Ramiz is literally a nobody in comparison to the people upon whom he is casting his judgmental eye, and he would do well to remember that.

Salman Butt speaking on his YT

"Ramiz Raja was lucky that the new government allowed him to work for several months after coming to power, which doesn't happen usually. It's first time that a new government did not fire the chairman straightaway. Not only did they not remove him straight away, but they also supported him. There had been talks about Ramiz's removal. It did not happen overnight".

"I think his recent comments have left a bitter taste. People have been sacked before too, but nobody has ever reacted this way. He's behaving like a kid who had his toy snatched. He has got other skills and should consider doing commentary now. He should not be making such statements and needs to show some grace"

Rich coming from Salman who has been crying on all possible media consistently despite his shameful act.
Ramizis expressing rightly his disapproval in the manner he was re moved, it can be argued either way whether he was doing a good or bad job as PCB Chairman. The topic of subject the tainted player was brought up by Mansoor not Ramiz.

He was and remains a terrible commentator too, with virtually no knowledge of the Pakistani domestic scene and no useful insight whatsoever about any member of the team.

He was a broadly useless administrator, who failed to ensure that pitches for our home series suited us, and who thought the solution to this was to bring in drop in pitches. This is a strategy that those who really are knowledgeable about the game, like Kumar Sangakarra, have said is a terrible idea. He oversaw the worst home results for us, in our entire history.

Ramiz has therefore got all these gigs on the back of one attribute alone - his ability to speak fluent English. He is an imposter who really shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath as legends such as Wasim and Waqar.

So before Ramiz tells us that he would have banned Wasim and Waqar, like as if Ramiz is some kind of supreme authority and figure of respect, he really needs to stop and think how ridiculous he sounds. Ramiz is literally a nobody in comparison to the people upon whom he is casting his judgmental eye, and he would do well to remember that.

Brilliant post

Ramiz Raja has gone mad I think, his ego has been shattered. He had the worst analysis on cricket, Hafeez was right about his knowledge. I'm glad he got sacked.

This takes me back to Mohammad Yousuf’s very brutal and perfectly executed take on Rameez to his face on a news channel.

“You were only in the team to keep Shoaib Mohammed out”

And told him to let real cricketers talk about cricket

doesnt matter, Rameez atleast never sold his country or bought the games credibility into disrupt. That is above all

Not a single cricketer has come out in favour of Ramiz Raja. That tells you something about his reign.

It's interesting to read what Wasim Akram has to say about Ramiz in his book Sultan.

Without going into every comment, Wasim didn't think much of Ramiz the cricketer. He suggests that he got chances due to his connections, even stating that he was fielding in the slips due to seniority. Wasim states that Ramiz had this big reputation for some reason in Pakistan but it's clear Wasim thought that he rarely performed.

This takes me back to Mohammad Yousuf’s very brutal and perfectly executed take on Rameez to his face on a news channel.

What’s the story with Shoaib and Ramiz’s role?

Ramiz should have been smart enough to dodge that stinky old question by that classless TV anchor

On what basis someone could keep Amir out once he completed his punishment. He was the youngest one but received the severest penalty including jail time in a foreign country . Respect and follow the law of the land and don’t make your own .

You cannot hang a person for stealing something.

Not a single cricketer has come out in favour of Ramiz Raja. That tells you something about his reign.

Sorry [MENTION=2501]Savak[/MENTION], you can say it all you want… but not having toxic ex-cricketers’ “support” actually confirms you were doing something right.

It's interesting to read what Wasim Akram has to say about Ramiz in his book Sultan.

Without going into every comment, Wasim didn't think much of Ramiz the cricketer. He suggests that he got chances due to his connections, even stating that he was fielding in the slips due to seniority. Wasim states that Ramiz had this big reputation for some reason in Pakistan but it's clear Wasim thought that he rarely performed.

I was gonna say this as well. Ramiz has always been silent on Wasim in relation to the Qayyum report and fixing accusations but has now come out all guns blazing to hit back at him and also because he knows his commentary career is about to come to an end.

Nobody comes out in favour of those not in power.

Ramiz didn’t hand out free lunches to these leeches that are our ex-cricketers; hence no support.

The fact that Sharjeel is back in squad, Amir is waltzing in at NHPC, tells you why excricketers and media lobbies are glad RR is out.

So funny how some are using this to justify how RR had a bad tenure.

No it is not.

No it didn't stopped because very smartly only those players were banned in 99 who were not expected to contribute anything special in future. They were made the scapegoats whereas many other big names were in radar from both india and pakistan.

this isnt pakistani cricket, but pakistani society as a whole, everyone gets massive leeway regardless of how they transgress if they are liked by the right people.

He also called him an English teacher 😄

Feels a bit like Ramiz will soon be keeping a lower profile within the game and so is firing off as many parting shots as he can on the way out of the door.

I was gonna say this as well. Ramiz has always been silent on Wasim in relation to the Qayyum report and fixing accusations but has now come out all guns blazing to hit back at him and also because he knows his commentary career is about to come to an end.

The problem also is that Ramiz is trying to fight too many battles at once.

He's taking on Sethi, he's taken on some current players and he's taking on former players all at once.

Lashing out in too many directions without much poise or impact.

Look if you have a stance regarding this, fine, that should be respected.

He didn't want Mohammad Amir, Sharjeel Khan etc picked.

But then at the same time, he was sat there in the commentary box with Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, working alongside them. Why didn't he refuse to do that or object to them being there.

I am not a fan of Rameez but he answers your question in the same clip that he is not talking about commentating but playing.

He specifically says that if I was a decision maker they wouldn't have been allowed back in the team so its about playing for Pakistan

Last edited:
I am not a fan of Rameez but he answers your question in the same clip that he is not talking about commentating but playing.

He specifically says that if I was a decision maker they wouldn't have been allowed back in the team so its about playing for Pakistan

So he is differentiating because it suits him.

Ridiculous really.

So he is differentiating because it suits him.

Ridiculous really.

Not defending or supporting him but his stance in this clip is consistent and he clearly articulates what he is saying and why he is saying it and why he couldn't do anything about it as PCB Chairman.

Not a fan of Ramiz because his stance of PCB needs to be run by a former Cricketer is inconsistent because he was part of the Worldcup winning side (1992) when PCB was run by Lt Gen Zahid Ali Akbar Khan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zahid_Ali_Akbar_Khan

The next PCB Chairman under which Ramiz had a "purple patch" was Nasim Hasan Shah who was also not only a non-cricketer but a Judge and had ZERO sporting background of any kind!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasim_Hasan_Shah

In the late 80s / early 90s - Shoaib Mohammed (son of Hanif) was Pakistan’s leading test opener, he was (like his dad) an anchor and played very patiently. But his record was pretty good - average of 46 in that era where the likes of Gooch and Gower were averaging 43-44.

There were rumours that Imran didn’t want Shoaib in his team - the reasons were debated, be it regional bias, be it he didn’t like his style of play or whatever.

Obviously hard to justify replacing Shoaib for Ramiz who was pathetically inconsistent and had a poor record.

So that’s where it came from. Ramiz was unfairly holding Shoaib’s place in the team.

doesnt matter, Rameez atleast never sold his country or bought the games credibility into disrupt. That is above all

I don’t think anyone would actually approach Ramiz - him underperforming was not something anyone would bet against!

It's a sad reflection of the mentality of some people ( and this mentality is what holds our country back) that people belittle Rameez batting record to try and condone fixing.

In the late 80s / early 90s - Shoaib Mohammed (son of Hanif) was Pakistan’s leading test opener, he was (like his dad) an anchor and played very patiently. But his record was pretty good - average of 46 in that era where the likes of Gooch and Gower were averaging 43-44.

There were rumours that Imran didn’t want Shoaib in his team - the reasons were debated, be it regional bias, be it he didn’t like his style of play or whatever.

Obviously hard to justify replacing Shoaib for Ramiz who was pathetically inconsistent and had a poor record.

So that’s where it came from. Ramiz was unfairly holding Shoaib’s place in the team.

Surely you should be blaming Imran here rather than Ramiz.

In order to try to malign Ramiz you have actually questioned the character of Imran.

Do you think Imran deliberately played an inferior player for regional biases?

Last edited:

In order to try to malign Ramiz you have actually questioned the character of Imran.

Because ramiz is the archetypal parchi who used his brother the late wasim raja and his father's influence as a commissioner.

Because ramiz is the archetypal parchi who used his brother the late wasim raja and his father's influence as a commissioner.

Whose Parchi?

Sounds like the allegation is that he was Imrans.

I was quite young during Rambos career so don't know the ins and outs.

Also doesn't the allegation that Imran deliberately selected him as a petty grudge towards Shoaib Mohammed go against Imran's image as captain?

Ramiz was not quite Sunil Gavaskar but was a good player, came on merit through the system , with good performance first at 19 level, then FC and then played for Pakistan . Both him and Salim Malik were the outstanding performers at the under 19 level and were fast tracked to FC and then to national team .

Ramiz was not quite Sunil Gavaskar but was a good player, came on merit through the system , with good performance first at 19 level, then FC and then played for Pakistan . Both him and Salim Malik were the outstanding performers at the under 19 level and were fast tracked to FC and then to national team .

Leave it out mate, RR was a full parchi player courtesy of his elder brother Wasim Raja.

Brilliant post

Ramiz Raja has gone mad I think, his ego has been shattered. He had the worst analysis on cricket, Hafeez was right about his knowledge. I'm glad he got sacked.

His ego has certainly been hurt. He is constantly giving these attention-seeking interviews with controversial and ridiculous comments with the sole aim of trying to stay relevant. It just lacks all class, but it is unsurprising given that with Ramiz, it has always been all show and very little actual substance.

Yep good on Mohammed Yousuf for calling Ramiz out. I think in Ramiz’s mind, he sees himself as far more important than he actually is.

I’m not suggesting Ramiz did any of that, nor am I defending anyone who was involved in fixing. But this is not about the issue of match fixing at all. This is about Ramiz running around giving TV interviews to anyone who will listen to him, and saying anything he can to try and grab a headline and remain relevant. It is just trashy behaviour.

I’m sorry but if you’re going to stoop low enough to defame Wasim and Waqar in your quest to remain relevant, then I absolutely will call that out. Ramiz appears to consider himself as a contemporary of the two Ws, and believes he has some superiority over them which entitles him to pass judgment on them for his own personal benefit. Ramiz really should think again as he is very badly mistaken indeed.

It was not Ramiz decision to allow 2 Ws to continue playing or have any role in Pakistani cricket, so still not sure why he should not acknowledget hat that the 2 Ws were great cricketers, and why should he not playin any Pakistani team or participate in a commentry box if the PCB found no reason to ban them.

RR was praising the 2Ws, until he was ousted as PCB Chairman and now claims he would have banned the 2Ws.

Why?

Moreover, while RR was Chairman he made it clear the like of Mohammed Amir would never return to Pakistan cricket, why did he not mention 2 Ws in the same breath at the time if Rr was against fixers?

In 90's there were lots of rumors about how Imran was pushing out Shoaib in favor of Rameez. Imran did not like Shoaib as a person and atleast according to news reports there was also regional favoritism being done. So Imran needed to push nsj man, who was Rameez to keep Shoaib out. I remember reading an article around mid 90s, when Shoaib played his last test, heavily criticizing Imran on how he purposefully ruined Shoaib's career with the help of Rameez. Obviously the blame has to be with Imran but Rameez also used his influence with his brother being in the team. I think even Rameez father was an influential person. Whatever the reasons from cricketing standpoint he did not deserve to be in the team

His ego has certainly been hurt. He is constantly giving these attention-seeking interviews with controversial and ridiculous comments with the sole aim of trying to stay relevant. It just lacks all class, but it is unsurprising given that with Ramiz, it has always been all show and very little actual substance.

Yep good on Mohammed Yousuf for calling Ramiz out. I think in Ramiz’s mind, he sees himself as far more important than he actually is.

I’m not suggesting Ramiz did any of that, nor am I defending anyone who was involved in fixing. But this is not about the issue of match fixing at all. This is about Ramiz running around giving TV interviews to anyone who will listen to him, and saying anything he can to try and grab a headline and remain relevant. It is just trashy behaviour.

I’m sorry but if you’re going to stoop low enough to defame Wasim and Waqar in your quest to remain relevant, then I absolutely will call that out. Ramiz appears to consider himself as a contemporary of the two Ws, and believes he has some superiority over them which entitles him to pass judgment on them for his own personal benefit. Ramiz really should think again as he is very badly mistaken indeed.

Maybe you need to watch the video. Rameez was talking in context of fixers.

Any person who didnt sold his country or bought the games reputation amd creadibility to disrupt will always have superiority over the ones who did.

The issue here is about cricket corruption and how these people are allowed to make a return even though non of them admit guilt.

No he would not have banned the two W's. Just blowing hot air for no reason!

In 90's there were lots of rumors about how Imran was pushing out Shoaib in favor of Rameez. Imran did not like Shoaib as a person and atleast according to news reports there was also regional favoritism being done. So Imran needed to push nsj man, who was Rameez to keep Shoaib out. I remember reading an article around mid 90s, when Shoaib played his last test, heavily criticizing Imran on how he purposefully ruined Shoaib's career with the help of Rameez. Obviously the blame has to be with Imran but Rameez also used his influence with his brother being in the team. I think even Rameez father was an influential person. Whatever the reasons from cricketing standpoint he did not deserve to be in the team

Thank you. I'd love to read Shoaib's story. He had an average above 44 in 45 tests. 7 hundreds, some big ones. Remember him playing well in England as well.

I’m sure Imran took the responsibility for the selection of Ramiz over Shoaib in any case so there’s no real “who to blame” question here.

I’m not maligning Imran - he was a great leader and captain but it would be naive to say he didn’t have any biases of some sort as nearly every captain has had. Personally I don’t think it was a regionally motivated decision because Imran E.g always showed a lot of preference for Mansoor Akhtar over other more prolific players. Mansoor was from Karachi.

He maybe had a more personal issue with Shoaib M, or maybe he didn’t like his slow style of batting which even in those days was considered slow. Maybe he thought he played for himself (I find that hard to believe, because he did play some tough innings). Maybe it was the influence of Rameez’ more heralded brother Wasim. Whatever it was, it was still a mind boggling selection to have Rameez over him.

And that is the subject we are discussing here. Not about regional motivation or anything. It’s the fact that Rameez only had such a long career and is even a household name because he lucked out being selected over much more qualified players. It would be the equivalent of faisal Iqbal being selected ahead of Younis Khan in 2005.

Please stick to the topic of the thread

Back