PCB to ask ICC to shift the T20 World Cup to UAE from India if no visa granted for the Pakistan team

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
LAHORE, Feb 19 (APP): Pakistan will push for this year’s ICC Men’s T20 World Cup to be shifted to the United Arab Emirates in case India doesn’t provide a written assurance that the national cricket team, its fans and journalists will be granted visas for the event.

This was stated by Chairman, Pakistan Cricket Board while talking to reporters at the board’s headquarters here on Friday.

The PCB chairman revealed that his board has communicated these intentions to the International Cricket Council (ICC).

“There is a need to change the ‘Big Three’ mind set,” Mani said. “We are not seeking written assurance for the visas of the national team only, but for the fans, officials and journalists as well.

“The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) lures the other cricket boards through money. We have made our intentions clear to stakeholders both within and out of the country that we plan to run our cricket without India.”

The PCB chairman stated the board is hopeful that all of its cricketers will get vaccinated by the month of March and revealed that the hierarchy is in contact with the National Command Operation Centre.

The PCB chairman highlighted the board’s efforts of hosting international cricket – which saw tours from Zimbabwe for three ODIs and as many T20Is and South Africa for two Tests and three T20Is – and an entire domestic season despite the COVID-19 pandemic.

Mani revealed that the PCB did not seek the ICC’s assistance in the resumption of cricketing activities and played a crucial role in the resumption of the game in the post-COVID-19 world.

He lamented Cricket Australia’s decision to not to send its men’s team to South Africa and said, “At the peak of the virus in England in the summer of 2020, the Pakistan men’s team toured England. Had Pakistan and the West Indies not undertaken their tours of England, it would have costed England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) around 3.5million pounds.

Similarly, had India not travelled to Australia it would have made Cricket Australia face heavy losses.”

Replying to a question about the Asia Cup, the PCB chairman said that Sri Lanka Cricket has created a window for the event, which will be held in T20I format because of the T20 World Cup this year, in June, but it might get further postponed if India qualifies for the World Test Championship final in the same month in London.

Reflecting on the revamp of the domestic cricket structure that took place in August 2019 and has seen two seasons being played under it, Mani said that it was important that this structure is given three to five years to flourish. He revealed that the interim committee at the Cricket Association-level will be installed by next month.

He also expressed his desire that Wasim Khan, the chief executive of the PCB who is now in the last year of his contract, will spend three more years at the job. “Wasim has played a crucial role in the complete resumption of international cricket in the country and I hope he will continue to serve Pakistan cricket for three more years,” said Mani.

https://www.app.com.pk/business/pcb...ndia-in-absence-of-visa-assurance-ehsan-mani/

==

LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB)’s chairman, Ehsan Mani said they will appeal for a change of T20 World Cup 2021’s venue in case of Indian visa denial.

Speaking to reporters here on Friday, the chairman said Pakistan keeps all the rights to play T20 World Cup being a qualified team for the mega event. “Pakistan reserves all rights to play T20 World Cup in India and no one can stop that. India were supposed to assure visa for Pakistani players by September last year,” he said.

“We will wait till March this year for visa assurance in writing as per ICC told us earlier. Otherwise, we will appeal for change of venue to the UAE,” he added.

On the other hand, the PCB chairman will decide his future once his current tenure completes in September this year. “I have no plans for now, whether to continue with my post or not. But, if I will be asked to continue working after completion of my tenure, will think about it,” he said.

Meanwhile, Mani wants CEO Wasim Khan to continue on his post following his work. “Wasim is working really hard and did some good work so far. I want him to continue with his post for not a year only but three years following his good work,” he shared.

PSL 6
Mani said the Pakistan Super League (PSL) has become one of the fastest-growing leagues around the world. “PSL will go live in almost every country across the globe. The league’s value has increased now that it will now be telecasted in India too,” he concluded.

ARY

Last edited:
LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB)’s chairman, Ehsan Mani said they will appeal for a change of T20 World Cup 2021’s venue in case of Indian visa denial.

Speaking to reporters here on Friday, the chairman said Pakistan keeps all the rights to play T20 World Cup being a qualified team for the mega event. “Pakistan reserves all rights to play T20 World Cup in India and no one can stop that. India were supposed to assure visa for Pakistani players by September last year,” he said.

“We will wait till March this year for visa assurance in writing as per ICC told us earlier. Otherwise, we will appeal for change of venue to the UAE,” he added.

On the other hand, the PCB chairman will decide his future once his current tenure completes in September this year. “I have no plans for now, whether to continue with my post or not. But, if I will be asked to continue working after completion of my tenure, will think about it,” he said.

Meanwhile, Mani wants CEO Wasim Khan to continue on his post following his work. “Wasim is working really hard and did some good work so far. I want him to continue with his post for not a year only but three years following his good work,” he shared.

Mani said the Pakistan Super League (PSL) has become one of the fastest-growing leagues around the world. “PSL will go live in almost every country across the globe. The league’s value has increased now that it will now be telecasted in India too,” he concluded.

https://arysports.tv/visa-t20-world-cup-india-appeal-shift-uae-ehsan-mani/

Oh yeah, as if their appeal will be heard lol

Again big talk by Mani. ICC wont change the venue because Pakistan wants. Pakistan team will get the visa at the appropriate time as they should.

Demanding visas for fans and journalists? LMAO.

PCB should stop trying to raise controversy. They have few takers. With Manohar gone and Khawaja likely not winning, PCB will have even less support.

You know well that Wasim Khan is an outsider in Pakistan and not one looking for controversy. He does not even care about India nor has seeked discussions with BCCI like his predecessors. This stems from the FACT that Pakistani Olympic shooters couldn’t get a visa. So please explain why Pakistan shouldn’t seek assurance. Your ignorant and blind support for all things India has really diluted the quality of debate that happen here. Along with all other trash Indian posters.

You know well that Wasim Khan is an outsider in Pakistan and not one looking for controversy. He does not even care about India nor has seeked discussions with BCCI like his predecessors. This stems from the FACT that Pakistani Olympic shooters couldn’t get a visa. So please explain why Pakistan shouldn’t seek assurance. Your ignorant and blind support for all things India has really diluted the quality of debate that happen here. Along with all other trash Indian posters.

Ehsan Mani is the PCB chief. He is a known India hater.

India has already declared that all sports person for international events will get visas.

Demanding visas for fans and journalists? Lmao. Dont think any fans will get visas, journos may.

Lets assume India doesn't issue the visa. Can ICC move the T20 WC outside India and risk India's non participation? Mani is uselessly trying to showoff bravado.

The only thing that dilutes quality is Ehsan Mani's senseless statements on India.

Lol..Ehsan Mani talking like a kid.
There is still plenty of time, just wait man you will get visa.

India has already declared that all sports person for international events will get visas.

Demanding visas for fans and journalists? Lmao. Dont think any fans will get visas, journos may.

Lets assume India doesn't issue the visa. Can ICC move the T20 WC outside India and risk India's non participation? Mani is uselessly trying to showoff bravado.

The only thing that dilutes quality is Ehsan Mani's senseless statements on India.

Agreed, if it has been stated, then there's no point in picking at something that doesn't exist.

I think that Mani was trying to get confirmation, and is probably concerned about what would happen if the visas are not issued.

If something like that arises, ICC should be the first to step in, but given how little anyone gives a hoot about ICC and what they think, the situation could possibly go unnoticed.

Mani's not an idiot to try and get confirmation as soon as possible, it will only alleviate the pressure on him.

Fans are out of the question, Pakistani's won't be allowed to travel to India under any circumstances.

Journalists are probably possible, but only a handful.

I hope that there are no last-minute issues with visas or anything, which could prevent some of our players from playing in the tournament.

Agreed, if it has been stated, then there's no point in picking at something that doesn't exist.

I think that Mani was trying to get confirmation, and is probably concerned about what would happen if the visas are not issued.

If something like that arises, ICC should be the first to step in, but given how little anyone gives a hoot about ICC and what they think, the situation could possibly go unnoticed.

Mani's not an idiot to try and get confirmation as soon as possible, it will only alleviate the pressure on him.

Fans are out of the question, Pakistani's won't be allowed to travel to India under any circumstances.

Journalists are probably possible, but only a handful.

I hope that there are no last-minute issues with visas or anything, which could prevent some of our players from playing in the tournament.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www....ce-demand-from-icc-for-t20-wc-2021-336913/amp

Icc gave its statement. Bcci said it. Indian government has given its assurances to IOC.

Mani is trying to play silly here. He thinks he will try to blackmail the BCCI and then say to pakistanis see, how i forced BCCI. This will only come to bite back the PCB.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am sorry, a World Cup is being held in India and our fans cannot go there?

What is this? bakra mandi or some proper tournament?

I am sorry, a World Cup is being held in India and our fans cannot go there?

What is this? bakra mandi or some proper tournament?

ICC agreement only asks for visas for teams, not fans. So no one knows if fans will be given visas. Thats how official work goes. Not a bakra mandi with entry for all.

Journalists and officials will likely get visas.

ICC agreement only asks for visas for teams, not fans. So no one knows if fans will be given visas. Thats how official work goes. Not a bakra mandi with entry for all.

You seem very content to stick to the status quo. Not sticking up for neutral fans to attend a world cup? What is the point of the world cup it fans cannot see their team?

Then why is the World cup being held in India?

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www....ce-demand-from-icc-for-t20-wc-2021-336913/amp

Icc gave its statement. Bcci said it. Indian government has given its assurances to IOC.

Mani is trying to play silly here. He thinks he will try to blackmail the BCCI and then say to pakistanis see, how i forced BCCI. This will only come to bite back the PCB.

As per usual, Mani will try to flex the muscles and status that he doesn't have.

If it's been confirmed, then Mani's concerns should be elsewhere. If it wasn't confirmed, then I'd understand his concerns.

You seem very content to stick to the status quo. Not sticking up for neutral fans to attend a world cup? What is the point of the world cup it fans cannot see their team?

Under the assumption that the percentage of fans allowed to access stadiums increases in the coming months, I think that ICC should look into visas for neutral fans as well.

Obviously, there will be several political aspects at play in terms of Pakistani fans being allowed to enter India, so I think there's little that we can expect on this front.

If COVID spikes for some reason, and fans are not allowed to attend the matches at the WC, this should not really be an issue.

Due to covid, world wide travel restrictions are in place. If it wasn't Covid, all neutral fans are welcome ofcourse pakistani fans will find it tough to get visas.

As per usual, Mani will try to flex the muscles and status that he doesn't have.

If it's been confirmed, then Mani's concerns should be elsewhere. If it wasn't confirmed, then I'd understand his concerns.

Mani thinks that support from the Khawaja-Manohar lobby will help him get at the Bcci. He also hopes to wean away CSA after the recent CA debacle.

Problem is be it CSA or anyone else, while they may be open to go against CA or ECB etc, they dont want to go against BCCI.

India is currently being ruled by a fascist right wing authoritarian government and everyone can see the chaos going on there , why on earth do Pak fans want to go there when they have already being disparaged for decades ?

It’s a blessing that they are not issuing visas for our fans and hopefully it extends to our commentators and journalists as well so it sends a clear message.

Our players should arrive there as late as possible to play this meaningless hit and giggle tournament and then get the hell out of there ASAP.

End of story and end of discussion.

Last edited:
Under the assumption that the percentage of fans allowed to access stadiums increases in the coming months, I think that ICC should look into visas for neutral fans as well.

Obviously, there will be several political aspects at play in terms of Pakistani fans being allowed to enter India, so I think there's little that we can expect on this front.

If COVID spikes for some reason, and fans are not allowed to attend the matches at the WC, this should not really be an issue.

Pakistani fans are neutral fans. There is no such thing as politics at a World Cup in any sport in the world, last time I checked.

I don't remember quite well but were there any visa related problems when Pak visited India for the world T20 back in 2016?

I mean it was the same government back then....

Anyways too much fuss over a clickbait headline..

Things changed drastically post Modi 2.0.

India is currently being ruled by a fascist right wing authoritarian government and everyone can see the chaos going on there , why on earth do Pak fans want to go there when they have already being disparaged for decades ?

It’s a blessing that they are not issuing visas for our fans and hopefully it extends to our commentators and journalists as well so it sends a clear message.

Our players should arrive there as late as possible to play this meaningless hit and giggle tournament and then get the hell out of there ASAP.

End of story and end of discussion.

Honestly, I think Pakistan should just boycott it...

Enough

BJP fans gaslighting as usual. It was long ago IOC took away rights of India to host any future events unless they gave a written guarantee to give visa to Pakistani players. Of course in that case Indian government caved. And here we have BJP fans pretending that what Pakistan is asking for is unreasonable or unprecedented.

Tournament should be shifted out as the country is not safe for Pakistani players or officials. No matter what ever security Indian govt talks about the problem is the Indian govt who are the real fascist and extremist.

Pakistan should try to get at least Pakistan's games shifted out. The rest of the teams can play in India if they want to.

Mani thinks that support from the Khawaja-Manohar lobby will help him get at the Bcci. He also hopes to wean away CSA after the recent CA debacle.

Problem is be it CSA or anyone else, while they may be open to go against CA or ECB etc, they dont want to go against BCCI.

BCCI isn't as big as people are making it out to be, it's another cricket board. The thing is, CSA, CA, and ECB get a lot of sponsorship deals, broadcasting deals, and revenue when the ICT tours.

The reason nobody is going against BCCI is because they haven't done anything wrong, it's as simple as that. The strength and all of the other stories sprung about the BCCI are inconsequential because the board has not done anything visibly wrong.

The only events I consider wrong are the occasions where the BCCI has boycotted the Asia Cup, and my reason isn't really what most people would expect. I don't care if Pakistan is hosting the Asia Cup, I still think that the event is good for promoting smaller Asian teams and letting them get a taste of international cricket in favorable conditions. The reason teams like Afg and Bang have been able to develop is through events like the Asia Cup, where the lack of quality in their team is hidden by conditions favorable to their bowling and batting experience.

Basically, my point is that the BCCI hasn't directly done anything wrong or offensive towards any other cricket board (except for Pakistan, but that's politics), so they have no reason to do anything against BCCI. If they had a reason, they would.

Politics is part of sports.

I disagree.

Politics is made to be a part of only a few games in sports where unnecessary hype or political propaganda interferes with the game.

The Manchester Derby is not political. France vs Germany in football is not political.

Though US and Russia in Olympics is political.

It's only a handful of situations in sports which are political, a prominent one being Pakistan and India.

Apart from that, not all sports are political, most are detached from politics.

Pakistani fans are neutral fans. There is no such thing as politics at a World Cup in any sport in the world, last time I checked.

True, fans are neutral.

However, the outlook of the current political party in India, and its regards to Pakistan aren't quite welcoming for Pakistani fans.

I'm all for Pakistani fans being allowed to travel to India and attend World Cup matches, but realistically, it won't happen because politics prevent it from being allowed.

Mani is right to stand his ground, he's going overboard with the fans bit, but given India's complete refusal to play a bilateral series over the years, at the orders of the authoritarian regime running their country, he has every right to seek visa assurances for the players. BCCI is heavily influenced by the fascist Indian government, under pressure at the last minute, you never know what decision they could with regards to permitting entry for Pakistan's team and officials.
I fear what will happen with the World Cup in 2023 to be held right after the Pakistan general election and just a few months before the Indian general election, you never know what the situation will be like at the time.

“The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) lures the other cricket boards through money. We have made our intentions clear to stakeholders both within and out of the country that we plan to run our cricket without India.”

The gap between the PCB and the BCCI hasn't been this big for a long time.

One wonders when or if Pakistan and India will play a bilateral series.

The gap between the PCB and the BCCI hasn't been this big for a long time.

One wonders when or if Pakistan and India will play a bilateral series.

He says this in the next line.

PSL will go live in almost every country across the globe. The league’s value has increased now that it will now be telecasted in India too,” he concluded.

We will run our cricket without India. PSL value has increased due to telecast in India.

What sorcery is this?

LAHORE, Feb 19 (APP): Pakistan will push for this year’s ICC Men’s T20 World Cup to be shifted to the United Arab Emirates in case India doesn’t provide a written assurance that the national cricket team, its fans and journalists will be granted visas for the event.

This was stated by Chairman, Pakistan Cricket Board while talking to reporters at the board’s headquarters here on Friday.

The PCB chairman revealed that his board has communicated these intentions to the International Cricket Council (ICC).

“There is a need to change the ‘Big Three’ mind set,” Mani said. “We are not seeking written assurance for the visas of the national team only, but for the fans, officials and journalists as well.

The PCB chairman stated the board is hopeful that all of its cricketers will get vaccinated by the month of March and revealed that the hierarchy is in contact with the National Command Operation Centre.

The PCB chairman highlighted the board’s efforts of hosting international cricket – which saw tours from Zimbabwe for three ODIs and as many T20Is and South Africa for two Tests and three T20Is – and an entire domestic season despite the COVID-19 pandemic.

Mani revealed that the PCB did not seek the ICC’s assistance in the resumption of cricketing activities and played a crucial role in the resumption of the game in the post-COVID-19 world.

He lamented Cricket Australia’s decision to not to send its men’s team to South Africa and said, “At the peak of the virus in England in the summer of 2020, the Pakistan men’s team toured England. Had Pakistan and the West Indies not undertaken their tours of England, it would have costed England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) around 3.5million pounds.

Similarly, had India not travelled to Australia it would have made Cricket Australia face heavy losses.”

Replying to a question about the Asia Cup, the PCB chairman said that Sri Lanka Cricket has created a window for the event, which will be held in T20I format because of the T20 World Cup this year, in June, but it might get further postponed if India qualifies for the World Test Championship final in the same month in London.

Reflecting on the revamp of the domestic cricket structure that took place in August 2019 and has seen two seasons being played under it, Mani said that it was important that this structure is given three to five years to flourish. He revealed that the interim committee at the Cricket Association-level will be installed by next month.

He also expressed his desire that Wasim Khan, the chief executive of the PCB who is now in the last year of his contract, will spend three more years at the job. “Wasim has played a crucial role in the complete resumption of international cricket in the country and I hope he will continue to serve Pakistan cricket for three more years,” said Mani.

https://www.app.com.pk/business/pcb...ndia-in-absence-of-visa-assurance-ehsan-mani/

==

PSL 6

ARY
Telecast of IPL is banned in Pakistan but india is allowing telecast of PSL lol, slap on the face of we won't allow pakistanis to earn anything from india brigade

Telecast of IPL is banned in Pakistan but india is allowing telecast of PSL lol, slap on the face of we won't allow pakistanis to earn anything from india brigade

IPL used to be shown in Pakistan didn't it?

Mani is again trying to play to the galleries. Visas will be granted and even fans will be allowed but it will be last minute approval.
Mani secant say whatever he wants does not matter at all to BCCI and GOI.

Before 2016 WT20 same things saod by PCB & we know what happened after that so just take a chill

BCCI's money talks even though India is more unsuitable for international cricket than Pakistan right now with all the sit ins, protests and Cow lynching's going on. What if some visiting team ends up being beaten for eating beef.

Ehsan Mani or the PCB is trying to give a message and the way Indians reacted has confirmed that he succeeded. PCB is a mafia but they know what to do.

BCCI's money talks even though India is more unsuitable for international cricket than Pakistan right now with all the sit ins, protests and Cow lynching's going on. What if some visiting team ends up being beaten for eating beef.

Ehsan Mani or the PCB is trying to give a message and the way Indians reacted has confirmed that he succeeded. PCB is a mafia but they know what to do.

Aisa nahi hai Bhai.

India is the world's largest exporter of Beef.
Lynching's and sit-in's occur in every Asian country as you very well know.
Visiting team are never beaten in any country (cricket grounds are acceptable) :D

Fans and Journos are very important but Covid-19 safety is more important.
Fans and Journos don't stay in bubble.
Ehsan Mani is not PCB.
PCB is an efficient body and is trying. Everyone has constraints.
BCCI is more than a board with money.
Ehsan Mani's message is redundant and non issue.

Player safety should be paramount. PCB has considered this when they toured England. India considered this when they toured Oz.
Australians are unreasonable in cancelling SAF tour. Brisbane doesn't hold copyright over bio-bubble.

Guess which country has to provide "presidential" security to visiting teams and block major city roads for hours to make them feel less threatened. As far as i know it's definitely not India.

There will always be some protests going on somewhere in India you know 1.4 BN people and all that? But until visiting teams get in and and out of the stadiums and team buses without much fuss, your statement will remain more of a wish than a fact.

How about this. Instead of worrying about visas for officials and players. Pakistan team and officials will get their visas, Indian govt is not as stupid as ppl are making it out or shall i say Mani saab doing it now.

How about We go to India beat India in India and win the Trophy and come back home as heroes and write a Thank You letter to Indian govt for issuing the visas. 👍

I doubt fans from other countries will be allowed in India due to the covid19 restrictions. But ICC and BCCI should give assurances that Pakistan players and staff will be protected in India and that they will get visas. Don't need any controversy before such a big tournament.

Kolkata: Ehsan Mani, chairman of Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), is arguably one of the most respected active cricket administrators in the game. Now 75, the former president of International Cricket Council (ICC) is the perfect example of someone being there and done that.

A chartered accountant by profession, Mani had served the world governing body of the game in various key capacities - right from the Chairman’s Advisory Committee set up to advise Lord Cowdrey and Sir Clyde Walcott during their tenures. As someone who worked closely with the late Jagmohan Dalmiya, the strongman of Indian cricket and his predecessor in the ICC top job, the duo were instrumental in hosting the second ICC World Cup in 1996 in the Indian sub-continent which opened up the floodgates for sponsors in the showpiece and was a roaring financial success.

When the ICC was looking for a helmsman after the last chairman Shashank Manohar stepped down in June last year after two terms, Mani’s name was doing the rounds again as someone who would be the perfect consensual candidate who would be acceptable to all the members. An oppointee of Prime Minister Imran Khan, Mani scotched the rumours himself and said it was imperative that he served the PCB till the end of his term.

A staunch opponent of the so-called ‘Big Three’ (India, England and Australia) influencing the policy decisions in the ICC, Mani never shied away from speaking his mind about it and also felt that the new chairman should be someone from outside these three countries. His prayers were eventually answered when Greg Barclay, the head of New Zealand Cricket, was eventually elected unopposed as the independent chairman in November last year.

In an exclusive interview with Gulf News over phone, Mani spoke candidly about the journey of Pakistan Super League (PSL) so far, the contentious issue of India’s delay in assuring travel visas for the T20 World Cup later this year to Pakistan team, support staff, fans to the Asia Cup. Following are the excerpts:

Gulf News: The sixth edition of Pakistan Super League (PSL) has got underway earlier this week. How has the journey been so far?

Ehsan Mani: Obviously, it’s been a very, very good confidence building exercise in terms of convincing the overseas players that Pakistan was completely safe. We always felt that it was a safe country, but the decision to gradually shift the tournament to Pakistan was the final step.

There was a hiccup when in 2019 when IMG pulled out of telecasting and it created some concern but having got over that, we have moved on. Last year, we had a tremendous start but then Covid came but we could finally finish the tournament. It’s the same this year, we now have a 50% occupancy at the ground and by the end, the numbers could be higher.

This year, over 100 overseas players had registered for the auction, and 35-40 players were chosen.

The perception is that thanks to the PSL, there is now a bigger talent bank of players to choose the national teams from?

Yes, it has produced some cricketers who were not known nationally who have performed well. Last year, we introduced a new domestic structure - we had only six first class teams - and our international players are playing there. it’s now very competitive and going forward, we will produce more players from the structure.

Six years down the line, have the franchises developed a revenue model and how far are they from breaking even?

As you have seen in IPL (Indian Premier League), they didn’t make too much money in the initial years. Last year, two of our franchises broke even and this year, two more will do. By next year, we expect that all six teams should start breaking even.

Only a few days back, you reiterated the demand for assurance of travel visas from India for the T20 World Cup. What is the update on that front?

Well, the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) was supposed to come up with a clear confirmation by December 31. Let me make it very clear that we have got nothing against the event being held in India, but we have to be absolutely sure that our players, support staff, fans and the media should get the necessary visas. The decision was postponed to January, but Sourav Ganguly (the BCCI president) was not well and they asked for more time, but now January has also passed.

I am now facing queries from our stakeholders as well the media and I have now raised the issue with the ICC that the assurance has to come sooner than later so that we don’t go beyond the deadline.

In the last World T20 which was held in India in 2016, Pakistan had played there. Is there a reason for any apprehension about the visas on your part?

Yes, there was an unfortunate incident when in 2019, the Pakistan women’s team were supposed to play a ICC Qualifier there. The BCCI said they had written to the Indian government but did not get a response...this went on for months and eventually, the Indian board said it was too late. The women’s team couldn’t play the match and the points had to be shared. We do not want that kind of a situation to happen again as it’s not good for world cricket.

You had suggested that in case India cannot guarantee the visas, PCB would propose the event to be shifted to the UAE. Are you confident about UAE’s ability to host it?

We are absolutely confident that the UAE can handle it but personally, I feel that the event should be hosted at where it’s meant to be held. The UAE has a strong cricketing infra-structure and we are confident about them hosting any event at the highest level. Actually, we are working with the UAE to jointly bid for some ICC events in the next cycle.

That’s interesting. Is it fair to assume that we can see any bi-lateral series in the UAE, involving Pakistan, again?

No, We are capable of holding all our home matches in Pakistan. Anyone who wants to play us has to play in Pakistan. The only time I would consider holding something there (in the UAE) is if there are any Asian Cricket Council (ACC) events like the Asia Cup. I will be happy to involve other member countries of the Asian council than just India and Pakistan.

Talking about the Asia Cup, when can it be held now?

We swapped the 2020 Asia Cup, which was supposed to be held in Sri Lanka, to 2021 in June because of the pandemic situation last year. However, it’s going to clash with the World Test Championship and hence it will now be held in 2023.

Finally, in Greg Barclay. there is a ICC chairman who is not from the ‘Big Three.’ What will be your expectations from him and can Pakistan get a better deal now in the Future Tours Programme?

Sadly, the ICC now has no role in working out the FTP, though it used to. The Big Three has destroyed it and it’s now dependant on bi-lateral negotiations and we will try to see what we can get. As far as Mr Barclay is concerned, he is the chairman and he has our complete support. I am sure he will work in the interest of all the members.

https://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/...ng-held-in-india-pcb-chairman-says-1.77486035

India and Pakistan's cricketing ties have been at the loggerheads post the terrible 26/11 Mumbai terror attack. While the two cricketing giants have not engaged in a bilateral series since then -- having met for a bilateral series only once in early 2012/13 -- they only meet during ICC events.

Ahead of this year's T20 World Cup, to be held in India in November, the PCB chairman Ehsan Mani opened up on the visa issues, which was prevalent even during the last edition of the World Cup, also held in India.

Mani said in an interview with Gulf News, “Well, the BCCI was supposed to come up with a clear confirmation by December 31. Let me make it very clear that we have got nothing against the event being held in India, but we have to be absolutely sure that our players, support staff, fans, and the media should get the necessary visas."

Earlier, Mani had pressed for the relocation of the event and was earlier quoted as saying by the PTI, "There is a need to change the 'Big Three' mindset. We are not seeking written assurance for the visas of the national team only, but for the fans, officials and journalists as well."

"We have told the ICC that India should give written assurances by the end of March so that we know where we stand or we will push for the relocation of the World Cup from India to UAE," he had added.

For the unversed, the Men in Green were issued visas for the T20 World Cup, in 2016, which took place in India. However, the league stage match between India and Pakistan was shifted out of Dharamsala. It was eventually held at the iconic Eden Gardens, Kolkata which saw the Men in Blue maintain their dominant record versus their neighbours.

It will be interesting to see if India and Pakistan are put together in the same group for the mega event, to take place later in 2021. The last meeting between both sides took place in the pre-COVID era when India defeated Pakistan by 89 runs (DLS method) during the 2019 ODI World Cup group stage clash.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...rman-ehsan-mani-opens-up-on-visa-issue/726121

India and Pakistan's cricketing ties have been at the loggerheads post the terrible 26/11 Mumbai terror attack. While the two cricketing giants have not engaged in a bilateral series since then -- having met for a bilateral series only once in early 2012/13 -- they only meet during ICC events.

Ahead of this year's T20 World Cup, to be held in India in November, the PCB chairman Ehsan Mani opened up on the visa issues, which was prevalent even during the last edition of the World Cup, also held in India.

Mani said in an interview with Gulf News, “Well, the BCCI was supposed to come up with a clear confirmation by December 31. Let me make it very clear that we have got nothing against the event being held in India, but we have to be absolutely sure that our players, support staff, fans, and the media should get the necessary visas."

Earlier, Mani had pressed for the relocation of the event and was earlier quoted as saying by the PTI, "There is a need to change the 'Big Three' mindset. We are not seeking written assurance for the visas of the national team only, but for the fans, officials and journalists as well."

"We have told the ICC that India should give written assurances by the end of March so that we know where we stand or we will push for the relocation of the World Cup from India to UAE," he had added.

For the unversed, the Men in Green were issued visas for the T20 World Cup, in 2016, which took place in India. However, the league stage match between India and Pakistan was shifted out of Dharamsala. It was eventually held at the iconic Eden Gardens, Kolkata which saw the Men in Blue maintain their dominant record versus their neighbours.

It will be interesting to see if India and Pakistan are put together in the same group for the mega event, to take place later in 2021. The last meeting between both sides took place in the pre-COVID era when India defeated Pakistan by 89 runs (DLS method) during the 2019 ODI World Cup group stage clash.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...rman-ehsan-mani-opens-up-on-visa-issue/726121

BCCI will have it's way. Even Mani knows it. These are the token statements PCB makes every year before getting humiliated. Why can't they just stop issuing statements?

Yes India has to give visa. Of course it will not be an assurance on a letterhead. it will be a visa stamped on a passport and the whole process begins with PCB sending a list of players and their passport details to BCCI and which in turn will send it to the sports Ministry to issue visa invitation letter and which wil then go to Indian Embassies. The role of sports ministry and BCCI ends there. The visitors will have to apply for visa and if the documents are in order (and visitors are not in red list) they will be granted a visa. (Now will be a good time to get hold of age fudgers).
Then it is on to immigration authorities which can still deny entry because they have their own lists. All kinds of checks and balances are there. This is the same for every nation and nothing new.

So what is all the big hoopla about written assurance?
Has PCB applied? Has the request letter been denied? Is this all hot air and nothing else? I think so.

At best BCCI can issue an invitation letter which by the way is issued by the Sports ministry. Immigration authority doesn't listen to BCCI or Bollywood or Indian Olympic committee or any trade exhibitor or whoever blindly.

BCCI doesn't need government permission to host any international event but it does need Ministry of Sports to issue visa invitation letters to visiting players and staff. It goes to the embassy and visiting teams can apply for visa.

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chief Ehsan Mani's demand for visa assurance for Pakistan players, media and fans for the T20 World Cup to be held in India between October-November has surprised the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).

Speaking to ANI, a board official said the comments are 'immature' and also pointed that the Indian government has already made its policy clear when it comes to handing visas to players for international sporting events.

"It was surprising to read Ehsan Mani's comments, especially in the background of the wonderful working relationship that he shares with Sourav Ganguly (BCCI President) at the ICC. He is a gentleman and had in fact been a guide for Sourav during the pandemic along with Shashank (Manohar). One can't help but think that it is very immature of Mani to give a statement like this," the official said.

"It is almost as if he is either desperately looking for a way out of his team playing in the tournament or he is grandstanding for some constituency back home. If they want to make it a political issue, it is of course their own wish. They do know that a cricket board of a country has absolutely no locus standi to give any assurance on an issue, which is not in their purview and is firmly in the decision-making sphere of the government," he added.

"What's the next logical step? Will the ICC play a UN kind of role? Will Pakistan's participation in tournaments depend upon an assurance that no acts of terror would originate on their soil?" the official enquired.

"Moreover, the government has already made their position crystal clear on the issue of visas and an informed person would be aware of it. Mani should be making efforts to try and normalise cricket relations between the two countries rather than making efforts to widen the gulf between them," he asserted.

The issue of visas was laid to rest last year itself when the Indian government had written to the Presidents of the IOA (Indian Olympic Association) and the IOC (International Olympic Committee).

Then Sports Secretary Radhe Shyam Julaniya, in his letter on June 18, 2019, clearly stated that the country of origin of athletes would not be a barrier for them to get visas to come and compete in international sporting events in India. This after a couple of Pakistan shooters were denied visa to compete in the ISSF World Shooting championship in the national capital. The visa issue had led to the IOC reconsidering the decision to hand India international sports events.

Mani on Sunday said the PCB has sent a letter addressed to the International Cricket Council (ICC) in order to get details about the issuance of visas from India for the T20 World Cup.

"India is set to host T20 World Cup in October-November this year. I have told the board that we want written confirmation from India that our fans, journalists, and players will get visas. I have a meeting with ICC and I will raise this point once again," said Mani.

Mani also said if India fails to provide assurance then the T20 World Cup needs to be shifted somewhere else.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...-players-surprising-says-bcci-official/726680

Grandstanding by Mani, I feel.

Why does he need written assurances? Who will give written assurances? When have such assurances been ever given? What is his basis for believing that players/ support staff may be denied entry?

This is a normal tournament with a clearly defined and traditionally followed process. Why does he even feel the need to bring it up?

So i believe all Pakistan matches in India will be held without pakistani fans in the crowd ? Thats not equality, unfair to Pakistan and extra favour to other teams... #ICC #BCCI #JUSTICE

So i believe all Pakistan matches in India will be held without pakistani fans in the crowd ? Thats not equality, unfair to Pakistan and extra favour to other teams... #ICC #BCCI #JUSTICE

This could happen, lack of total crowd support though I guess there will be some support if the cricket on offer is good. I remember how Multan appreciated Sehwag's triple ton and how Chennai crowd appreciated Root.

Grandstanding by Mani, I feel.

Why does he need written assurances? Who will give written assurances? When have such assurances been ever given? What is his basis for believing that players/ support staff may be denied entry?

This is a normal tournament with a clearly defined and traditionally followed process. Why does he even feel the need to bring it up?

In answer to your questions:

Why? Because the relations between India and Pakistan have nosedived since Mohdi, a nationalist similar in character to Trump, took power. Anti-Pakistani sentiment in India is rife. The Indian government has blocked all previous attempts for any cricketing relations between the two countries. This is not just some hypothetical threat - in 2019, two Pakistani athletes were denied visas for the World Shooting Championship.

Who? The Indian government, at the request of the BCCI.

When have such assurances ever been given? Relations with India have never been this bad and never has there been such a long period where the Indian government has blocked Ind-Pak games.

What is the basis of believing visas will be denied? See my answer to why and in particular, see the example of the previous occasion Pakistani athletes were denied a visa.

Instead of falling for propaganda on the Indian side telling the World that this is all grandstanding, I think all Pakistani fans should be backing Mani's proactive approach. If on the eve of the tournament we aren't allowed to enter India, do you think anyone else will care? The tournament will go ahead without us. So we need this sorted right here, right now.

I am pretty sure when the right time comes Pakistani players will get their visas. On the other hand Pakistani fans and media should understand that this is not 2005 where they were welcomed with open arms. This is a new India where people are aggressive in their thinking and won't let any opportunity go to prove their patriotism and share it on social media. Also Indian govt can provide security to Pakistani players but not their fans and media. Enjoy your world cup from home and forget about visiting to India for your safety. I know it will hurt some people but that is a bitter truth. :inti

In answer to your questions:

Why? Because the relations between India and Pakistan have nosedived since Mohdi, a nationalist similar in character to Trump, took power. Anti-Pakistani sentiment in India is rife. The Indian government has blocked all previous attempts for any cricketing relations between the two countries. This is not just some hypothetical threat - in 2019, two Pakistani athletes were denied visas for the World Shooting Championship.

Who? The Indian government, at the request of the BCCI.

When have such assurances ever been given? Relations with India have never been this bad and never has there been such a long period where the Indian government has blocked Ind-Pak games.

What is the basis of believing visas will be denied? See my answer to why and in particular, see the example of the previous occasion Pakistani athletes were denied a visa.

Instead of falling for propaganda on the Indian side telling the World that this is all grandstanding, I think all Pakistani fans should be backing Mani's proactive approach. If on the eve of the tournament we aren't allowed to enter India, do you think anyone else will care? The tournament will go ahead without us. So we need this sorted right here, right now.

Tournament will go ahead in India, with or without pakistan. ICC cant risk India not participating if they try to shift the venue. Thats the hard truth.

India changed its visa rules post the 2019 shooting world cup. Visas will be granted to participating athletes.

Mani wants visas for fans and media. That will be on the discretion of the Govt. The BCCI and ICC agreement only tals about visa for the teams.

This could happen, lack of total crowd support though I guess there will be some support if the cricket on offer is good. I remember how Multan appreciated Sehwag's triple ton and how Chennai crowd appreciated Root.

But that is disadvantage to Pakistani team and advantage to other teams, how will Pakistani team become Worldcup T20 champion with unfair treatment ?

Tournament will go ahead in India, with or without pakistan. ICC cant risk India not participating if they try to shift the venue. Thats the hard truth.

India changed its visa rules post the 2019 shooting world cup. Visas will be granted to participating athletes.

Mani wants visas for fans and media. That will be on the discretion of the Govt. The BCCI and ICC agreement only tals about visa for the teams.

So they can provide written assurance for the participating players, right? or is that beneath them too?

I agree that if, shortly before the start of the tournament, visas are denied, the tournament will go ahead without Pakistan. This is why its so important to get a commitment from India now. If the rules have indeed changed as you say, then it should surely be very easy and simple for the Indian government and BCCI to say to Mani, don't worry, we can assure you that you will get your visas.

Instead of providing that simple assurance, BCCI officials would prefer to talk about grandstanding etc. For goodness sake stop playing politics and just provide a simple answer to Mani's questions, so that we can all move on.

Even if the answer is, as you say, the players can come but fans/journalists aren't guaranteed entry - at least that is an answer! Leaving the whole matter in limbo hoping the issue goes away is never a solution.

I agree that if, shortly before the start of the tournament, visas are denied, the tournament will go ahead without Pakistan. This is why its so important to get a commitment from India now. If the rules have indeed changed as you say, then it should surely be very easy and simple for the Indian government and BCCI to say to Mani, don't worry, we can assure you that you will get your visas.

Instead of providing that simple assurance, BCCI officials would prefer to talk about grandstanding etc. For goodness sake stop playing politics and just provide a simple answer to Mani's questions, so that we can all move on.

Even if the answer is, as you say, the players can come but fans/journalists aren't guaranteed entry - at least that is an answer! Leaving the whole matter in limbo hoping the issue goes away is never a solution.

Indian government doesn't work on the whims of Mani or PCB. Neither does the BCCI. Bcci has an agreement with the ICC, it will be honoured. Bcci isnt answerable to Mani and he wont be entertained.

Shortly or even today, ICC cannot shift the tournament out of India, doesn't matter whether pakistan plays or not. ICC cant risk losing India. Thats the simple hard fact.

There is no issue. BCCI has told what it wants to the ICC. None of Mani's demands will be entertained.

So they can provide written assurance for the participating players, right? or is that beneath them too?

Why will they give into any of the demands of PCB and Mani? They are not obligated to do so. PCB is free to try to shift the T20 WC. Lets see if they can.

If they try and they can't, then Bcci should take steps in retaliation.

Who cares? Pakistan should not go there. Safety comes first. India and their stooge cricket nations can enjoy their little tournament. Without Pakistan being there, any victory will be meaningless

We should have our own T20 tournament at the same time to divert fan attention. It would be the perfect response.

Who cares? Pakistan should not go there. Safety comes first. India and their stooge cricket nations can enjoy their little tournament. Without Pakistan being there, any victory will be meaningless

We should have our own T20 tournament at the same time to divert fan attention. It would be the perfect response.

I agree. Pakistan should refuse if the fans cant attend. It will be a lame tournament with schedule and format ruined. It may still go ahead but in future the ICC will not allow India to hold it if Pak wont attend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why will they give into any of the demands of PCB and Mani? They are not obligated to do so. PCB is free to try to shift the T20 WC. Lets see if they can.

If they try and they can't, then Bcci should take steps in retaliation.

It's interesting how quickly you guys shift from arguments based on principals to arguments based on might being right, since your principal based arguments were shown to be phony. No surprises I guess.

Before Pakistani fans get upset over a couple of them not being able to attend a match in India, they should first try and attend Pak games elsewhere. It's a cringe experience to see crowds that are so wholly dominated by India abroad.

Also, why do PCB officials time and again insist on embarrassing themselves vis-a-vis the BCCI by coming up with Pak media-friendly claims or demands that are either simply ignored or refused.

I agree. Pakistan should refuse if the fans cant attend. It will be a lame tournament with schedule and format ruined. It may still go ahead but in future the ICC will not allow India to hold it if Pak wont attend.

We all know how this attitude turned out the last time the PCB thought they could bully Indian cricket and change India's image abroad to that of an unsafe place to play cricket :ipl

It's interesting how quickly you guys shift from arguments based on principals to arguments based on might being right, since your principal based arguments were shown to be phony. No surprises I guess.

I guess Indian ppers who used 'might is right' argument are only calling off the false bravado of wanting to shift venue to UAE. You should apply matter of principle before demanding shifting of venue.

Ok. so what is your argument here?
if you wonder about so called unfairness, let me explain, there is no such thing as Pakistan fan in eyes of Indian immigration authorities. They are Pakistani citizens. So kindly leave aside the emotional fan appeal. It is a matter of national policy and security and you would be surprised that visas are definitely granted to people on case to case basis. Lots of Pak citizens do visit and stay for months in India for medical treatment. Their bills are waived off by local governments and are regularly featured in Indian media, so spare us the phony narratives too.
As of now, Cricket fans don't qualify as critical or needful visitors. Pakistani fans will find it easier to enter if they have a passport from other nations.
Let us leave out why because it will take another thread and many years. For those of you who travel frequently, you will understand how closely immigration authorities and politics are interlinked.

With players and staff is a different matter. Do scroll up and read #52 @ assurance and process.

For all those who demand assurances, I don't think anyone, say, Kohli for instance, would get an assurance letter from USA or UK or Schengen authorities if he requested. So quit asking for assurance. Accept that pak fans support isn't there and just play cricket.
Heck lots of Indian fans wont be allowed too as there are lockdowns happening in parts of India due to Covid-19.

Bcci has an agreement with ICC and will act accordingly. PCB can keep making extra demands, its useless.

PCB should try to shift the event to UAE.

We all know how this attitude turned out the last time the PCB thought they could bully Indian cricket and change India's image abroad to that of an unsafe place to play cricket :ipl

Pakistan should really boycott the event and see how they keep sitting at home while the rest of the world enjoys a cricketing spectacle.

Also it will make sure Pakistan doesn't get to host an ICC event for a long time.

A team who plays without cricket fans loose 50% of the match without even playing. That is so unfair in an ICC tournament. I am not saying India is bullying ICC but thats unfair cricket... :(

A team who plays without cricket fans loose 50% of the match without even playing. That is so unfair in an ICC tournament. I am not saying India is bullying ICC but thats unfair cricket... :(

I feel you but the statistics and the rules that you make are so imaginative. Why be so negative? Maybe Pakistan will go on to win even without that 50% contribution of all Pak fans.

India-Pakistan thaw faces early test: visas for T20 World Cup

An official source in Pakistan told The Indian Express that the PCB wants a "guarantee" from the BCCI that the government will grant visas to Pakistani fans to watch the T20 World Cup in India.

Among the first tests of whether the latest thaw along the Line of Control (LoC) will lead to wider easing of tensions between India and Pakistan will be in another arena where the two remain bitter rivals: cricket.

An official source in Pakistan told The Indian Express that the country’s cricket board wants a “guarantee” from the BCCI that the Government will grant visas to Pakistani fans to watch the T20 World Cup to be played in India later this year.

Official sources in India said that if there are no “incidents” that would upset or bring the ceasefire agreement at the LoC to an end, there are plans to open up cricket and other sporting ties between the two countries.

Meanwhile, Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ehsan Mani has already written to the International Cricket Council (ICC) asking it to ensure that apart from the team and the squad, visas are granted to all “stakeholders” and others interested in watching the matches.

The T20 World Cup is to be held in October-November, but the PCB wants an early “Indian guarantee” that Pakistani audiences, as well as journalists and board officials, will be granted visas. “If visas are not guaranteed, then PCB will ask ICC to shift the venue from India,” the source said. During media interactions in Pakistan, Mani has said that if he does not get a “written assurance”, he would ask the ICC to shift the venue to the UAE.

On Sunday, Mani told The Indian Express that “it is the responsibility of ICC” to ensure that visas are granted to all stakeholders as per the Members Participation Agreement. While he is learnt to have raised this with the ICC repeatedly over the last three months, the February 25 LoC agreement has given rise to optimism that the visas could be granted.

A BCCI official, who did not wish to be named, said the decision would be made by the Government keeping in mind all factors, including Covid. “The Government has to take a call on allowing fans to the stadium. The BCCI has no jurisdiction when it comes to issuing visas. If the Government allows, we have no problem. At the same time, these are not normal times. No country can give an assurance that they will keep their obligations under the Members Participation Agreement during a pandemic,” the official said.

The last time the Pakistan team played on Indian soil was in the T20 championship in March 2016, two months after the Pathankot attack. On that occasion, the Home Ministry gave multi-city visas to Pakistani fans who had tickets for the matches.

Before that, India granted visas to Pakistani fans for the 2011 World Cup semi-final at Mohali. The then Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani also came to Mohali and watched the match with then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

The last time the two countries played a bilateral home series was in 2007-2008 in India. And the 2019 World Cup in England was when the two teams last met at a neutral venue.

I think that with the pandemic it would be silly to host the t20 world cup in UAE as their is a new strain in that part of the world. India is a lot safer than UAE.

BCCI cannot directly issue visas but they obviously have relationships and contacts in the Indian government and they need to make sure Pakistani team and support staff all get visas - I accept that fans is not necessary and probably not a good idea in pandemic environment anyway.

If visas cannot be guaranteed for any team which has a right to play in the tournament then the tournament should be moved.

In Covid era, the issue is the other way around. ICC and BCCI should ask "guarantee" that PCB players will follow the bubble, and not be selfish and careless. Even the PCB Covid tests have to genuine and real, can't have fake results only to find a player infected eventually...

Thanks to Wasim Khan, the PSL debacle has ensured that PCB has lost whatever Mickey Mouse leverage it had.

Now the real question is, should a throughly unprofessional, incompetent and clueless board like PCB be allowed partake in the WT20 during this pandemic?

The players, management and officials will be vaccinated but they will still have to adhere to certain SOPs as an additional safety measure, and PCB is the last board in the world that you would trust to adhere to the guidelines.

PCB is a threat to the well-being of the cricket community. I believe ICC should put its foot down and bar Pakistan from competing in any multilateral events for now. Moreover, teams should also refuse to tour Pakistan for bilateral cricket.

It will not help because we are incapable of mending our ways, but the ICC still needs to play its part and teach PCB a lesson.

Back