[PICTURES] Is the Border-Gavaskar Trophy (2024-25) the final frontier for Virat Kohli's Test career?

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
As I look at Virat Kohli's recent performances in Test cricket, it’s hard to ignore the troubling signs. In the first Test against Bangladesh, he scored just 6 and 17, showing that he’s really struggling to find form. His average has now dropped to an eight-year low, which is concerning for someone of his caliber.

In recent years, Kohli’s numbers in Test cricket have been less than impressive. Since 2020, he’s managed only 1,669 runs at an average of 32.72, with just two centuries. It’s clear that something isn't right. In 15 matches this year alone, he’s scored only 319 runs at an average of 18.76, which is far below what fans expect from him.

Looking back at his career, Kohli has had incredible moments, with 29 Test centuries to his name and a lifetime average of 48.74. However, the downward trend in his performance is alarming. As he faces the upcoming five-Test series against Australia, I can’t shake the feeling that this could be a career-defining moment for him in this format. If he doesn’t step up, we might see him struggle even more. It's tough to say, but I honestly think he might flop in these matches.

Here are some notable stats:

Most Dismissals for Virat Kohli against spinners in Test

GONBCnz.png

zsv2dcc.png

India's middler order (3-5) in Tests since 2023

IYfUgnd.png

Pakistan former cricketer Basit Ali while speaking on his You Tube channel:

“Virat Kohli will score runs against Australia. He will like the wickets Down Under. Big cricketers lose concentration against weak teams, but they perform well against challenging opponents."

“India don’t only win at home and they have defeated Australia in Australia in the previous two series. India won’t allow Australia to win the upcoming series.”

Pakistan former cricketer Basit Ali while speaking on his You Tube channel:

“Virat Kohli will score runs against Australia. He will like the wickets Down Under. Big cricketers lose concentration against weak teams, but they perform well against challenging opponents."

“India don’t only win at home and they have defeated Australia in Australia in the previous two series. India won’t allow Australia to win the upcoming series.”
Mate Basit Ali is the sane guy who said Babar Azam shpuld marry as marriage is the key to improving cricket skills. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously

No. He already has it.. I'd say it's the 2025 WTC final.

After we won the WT20, Dravid said something along the lines of "You've won all 3 White ball trophies, now time to tick the red ball one as well" in the change room to Kohli. If we win the WTC final at Lords, Kohli is 100% going to retire from Test Cricket.

No. He has already won the BGT multiple Times .

When is india going to tour NZ for a test series?

No. He already has it.. I'd say it's the 2025 WTC final.

After we won the WT20, Dravid said something along the lines of "You've won all 3 White ball trophies, now time to tick the red ball one as well" in the change room to Kohli. If we win the WTC final at Lords, Kohli is 100% going to retire from Test Cricket.
Yep he wants to end things on high and hopefully he won't be a Jonathan Trott in the upcoming BGT

That decision is upto him. But he is replaceable in my opinion.

Yep he wants to end things on high and hopefully he won't be a Jonathan Trott in the upcoming BGT

You haven't seen Kohli play if you think he's gonna end up like Trott. Even if he scores 4 ducks in a row, he'll still be in opponent's face while fielding and be as intense as ever. He won't run away like Trott did in 2013/14.

Virat Kohli is no Sachin and must give in the way to upcoming youngsters.
he is the 3rd best of this generation that is about to culminate.
but he is more on the level of mo yousuf and inzi overall. below younis khan, dravid, laxman, tenda etc.

actually he isnt much better than pujara.

Virat Kohli is no Sachin and must give in the way to upcoming youngsters.
Virat Kohli has had a disappointing career in Tests. He should have been averaging 50+ and 10K runs but looking at the current scenario he isn't going to achieve either one of those targets. I think this cycle of WTC should be his last no matter what he does in the remaining 9 games (10 if we play the finals). Sachin is an elite player and despite averaging 31-32 in his final 2 years he still retired with an average of 53 in Tests. There is no comparison between Virat and Sachin in Tests. It is only Virat fans who want to project him as some great who cannot be touched. In LOIs I agree, he is a legend and in Tests he has been a great captain but as a batter he has grossly underachieved. So did Pujara and Rahane. India have enough batters to take up the mantle in all formats from Virat.

Virat Kohli has had a disappointing career in Tests. He should have been averaging 50+ and 10K runs but looking at the current scenario he isn't going to achieve either one of those targets. I think this cycle of WTC should be his last no matter what he does in the remaining 9 games (10 if we play the finals). Sachin is an elite player and despite averaging 31-32 in his final 2 years he still retired with an average of 53 in Tests. There is no comparison between Virat and Sachin in Tests. It is only Virat fans who want to project him as some great who cannot be touched. In LOIs I agree, he is a legend and in Tests he has been a great captain but as a batter he has grossly underachieved. So did Pujara and Rahane. India have enough batters to take up the mantle in all formats from Virat.
Virat is nothing compared to sachhu

Virat is barely better than ghujara.

Better comparison would be virat vs laxman. I actually believe laxman might be close to virat.

Hanuma Vihari said in an interaction organized by local media:

"I wouldn't say crucial. It is important for Virat Kohli to be in a good state of mind. I know he has not played Test cricket for a while now. He missed out on the England Test series due to his personal commitments."

"But coming back to Test cricket after a while, it takes time to get into your groove, to get that mental space, and to have that routine back. India should not be concerned with Virat's form because we know when the real Test comes, he will stand up and get those runs in Australia."

His financial career took off due to his ODI exploits and T20 exploits. Not Test formats. So he is tried to stay in those formats as possible while paying very little attention to Test format. He missed Test series for personal reasons twice. Those were major Test series. Didn't bother to play domestic. Didn't bother to work on his weakness like he did in the mid 2010s. He just wants to stay relevant in IPL and ODI internationals. He is hanging around just because he keeps getting selected

Rohit should be replaced in Test cricket, Virat needs some rest and I am sure he will back in business.
He needs permanent rest away from cricket. He has been done for a while. In before some idiot brings up his performance in SA. Yea he is good vs pace and bounce but he is utter trash vs spin, movement.

And in Australia, in the last full fledged series hazelwood and Cummins had his number. He only averaged 42 on flat pitches back in 2018. 39 in 2021 in that one test. He only has gotten older. He will be lucky to average 30 if he plays and I hope he gets dropped

He needs permanent rest away from cricket. He has been done for a while. In before some idiot brings up his performance in SA. Yea he is good vs pace and bounce but he is utter trash vs spin, movement.

And in Australia, in the last full fledged series hazelwood and Cummins had his number. He only averaged 42 on flat pitches back in 2018. 39 in 2021 in that one test. He only has gotten older. He will be lucky to average 30 if he plays and I hope he gets dropped
42 isn't the worst average for any player in any series and we all know Kohli is a class player and he can perform against any team in any conditions and win matches for India on his own.

42 isn't the worst average for any player in any series and we all know Kohli is a class player and he can perform against any team in any conditions and win matches for India on his own.
He has never performed in a match winning cause anywhere in SENA

He has never performed in a match winning cause anywhere in SENA
"Never" would be a bit harsh on him. Don't you remember his innings against Pakistan at MCG in T20 World Cup 2022? It is fair to say that his performances in SENA haven't been up to the level of his performance in other parts of the World but he is a good enough batter to perform in any conditions.

"Never" would be a bit harsh on him. Don't you remember his innings against Pakistan at MCG in T20 World Cup 2022? It is fair to say that his performances in SENA haven't been up to the level of his performance in other parts of the World but he is a good enough batter to perform in any conditions.
In tests I mean.

In 79 Test innings at home, Virat Kohli has scored 4,167 runs at an average of 58.69. His average is 42.38 with 4,704 runs in 114 innings away from home.

He looks finished better to give way more talents like Jaiswal in Indian cricket now.
Isn't jaiswal already important player of test team.

Virat is needed for Australia tour .i think australia do all the things to win the series as they are very disparate.

This series going to be heated and virat is must for india. He will definitely perform with the bat

I've lost interest in watching Kohli. I wouldn't be mind if he called it a day after the BGT.

"Virat Kohli's Last Tour Of...": 167-Test Veteran Predicts About India Star. It's Only Nine Months Away​

The Indian cricket team is in the middle of a long Test season. After the series against Bangladesh, India will next face New Zealand in a three-Test series starting on October 16. Then in November, India will Tour Australia for the Border-Gavsakar Trophy. Next year, after the IPL, India will take on England in a five-match series starting in Leeds on June 20 2025. There will be matches at Edgbaston, Lord's, Old Trafford and The Oval.

India last won a Test series in England in 2007, and the Rohit Sharma-led side would want to end that drought.

Former England pace great Sturat Broad, who played 167 Tests, 121 ODIs and 56 T20Is, said it could be Virat Kohli's last Tour of England.

"This could be Virat's last tour of England," Broad was quoted as saying by nottinghampost.com.

"They've got so much talent and so much depth and England are slightly more youthful and less experienced but have a huge amount of talent and play this front-foot style of cricket.

"As a fan, you want to watch every ball of that series. England will be on the money, and I think it's going to be close. I don't think it will be a five-nil or a four-nil, it will probably be going down to the last Test. If the weather plays ball, I think it will be 2-2."

He predicts it to be cracker of a series.

"It's going to be a very special series," said Broad.

"Don't underestimate how much it hurt England when India won at Lord's (in 2021) and drew the series. It was an aggressive test match, Mohammed Siraj bowled fantastically well on the final day, a drier pitch and just getting that bit of movement.

"It was an amazing, emotional Test match to watch, and I know how much that hurt the England dressing room. Equally, it was very joyous for India to come here - we saw the joy on Kohli's face and how much that meant to him. I think it's going to be an absolute crackerjack of a series."

"Virat Kohli's Last Tour Of...": 167-Test Veteran Predicts About India Star. It's Only Nine Months Away​

The Indian cricket team is in the middle of a long Test season. After the series against Bangladesh, India will next face New Zealand in a three-Test series starting on October 16. Then in November, India will Tour Australia for the Border-Gavsakar Trophy. Next year, after the IPL, India will take on England in a five-match series starting in Leeds on June 20 2025. There will be matches at Edgbaston, Lord's, Old Trafford and The Oval.

India last won a Test series in England in 2007, and the Rohit Sharma-led side would want to end that drought.

Former England pace great Sturat Broad, who played 167 Tests, 121 ODIs and 56 T20Is, said it could be Virat Kohli's last Tour of England.

"This could be Virat's last tour of England," Broad was quoted as saying by nottinghampost.com.

"They've got so much talent and so much depth and England are slightly more youthful and less experienced but have a huge amount of talent and play this front-foot style of cricket.

"As a fan, you want to watch every ball of that series. England will be on the money, and I think it's going to be close. I don't think it will be a five-nil or a four-nil, it will probably be going down to the last Test. If the weather plays ball, I think it will be 2-2."

He predicts it to be cracker of a series.

"It's going to be a very special series," said Broad.

"Don't underestimate how much it hurt England when India won at Lord's (in 2021) and drew the series. It was an aggressive test match, Mohammed Siraj bowled fantastically well on the final day, a drier pitch and just getting that bit of movement.

"It was an amazing, emotional Test match to watch, and I know how much that hurt the England dressing room. Equally, it was very joyous for India to come here - we saw the joy on Kohli's face and how much that meant to him. I think it's going to be an absolute crackerjack of a series."

So broad is talking about a test series which is 9 months away from now .

Virat Kohli while speaking to a local sports media channel:

"It was quite intense at the beginning, but I think since the time we had won two Test series in Australia, the rivalry has turned into respect.”

"We are not taken lightly now as a Test team. The respect looks quite visible when you play against Australia since we have beaten them twice - back-to-back series wins at their own backyard.”

India already won in Australia and Kohli was in the team.

I think final frontiers for Kohli would be to win Test series in England, South Africa, and NZ.

This series would define Kohli's status as either a legend or a guy with good stats in the prime of his career

This series would define Kohli's status as either a legend or a guy with good stats in the prime of his career
why? In Adelaide oval alone he has scored more than 1000 runs across the formats. He loves Aussie pitches. But batsmen can only draw matches. You need bowlers to win matches.

@mominsaigol discus here about virat .

As i said already ,players will come and go but Virat Kohli is remain king of cricket forever .

Do you know that who is Mr.cricket ?? If you don't know then search on google .

Also you can search who is king of cricket then you will get your answer .

@mominsaigol discus here about virat .

As i said already ,players will come and go but Virat Kohli is remain king of cricket forever .

Do you know that who is Mr.cricket ?? If you don't know then search on google .

Also you can search who is king of cricket then you will get your answer .
I searched King of cricket on Google.AU and it said Bradman.

But when I search on Google.PK ofcourse it says Virat Kohli. I bet you searched on Google.Bharat.Fraud.

Let's discuss right here and right now.

Current Travis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Current Kohli > Current Smith in whiteball

Current Travis > Current Smith >>>>>> Current kohli in test

Prime Steve Smith in test >>>>>>>>>>>>> Prime Kohli in test > Prime Travis in test

Prime Kohli > Prime Steve Smith > Travis In whiteball

Prime Smith in cups > Travis in cups >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Prime kohli in cups

Travis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Current Kohli >Current Smith in cups

^^ This is my claim, This is my argument

Last edited by a moderator:
I searched King of cricket on Google.AU and it said Bradman.

But when I search on Google.PK ofcourse it says Virat Kohli. I bet you searched on Google.Bharat.Fraud.

Let's discuss right here and right now.

Current Travis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Current Kohli > Current Smith in whiteball

Current Travis > Current Smith >>>>>> Current kohli in test

Prime Steve Smith in test >>>>>>>>>>>>> Prime Kohli in test > Prime Travis in test

Prime Kohli > Prime Steve Smith > Travis In whiteball

Prime Smith in cups > Travis in cups >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Prime kohli in cups

Travis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Current Kohli >Current Smith in cups

^^ This is my claim, This is my argument
He earned the King tag by scoring bucket of runs in every formats and no one came close .

You can chose and pick whoever you want but king of cricket remain same and that ia Virat Kohli .

He earned the King tag by scoring bucket of runs in every formats and no one came close .

You can chose and pick whoever you want but king of cricket remain same and that ia Virat Kohli .
He earned the king tag by being born in a nation with 1.4B people.

He earned the king tag by being born in a nation with 1.4B people.
@Devadwal finished?

Theirs no such thing as an Indian God of cricket or Indian king of cricket. That title belongs to bradman.

This indian God of cricket thing is a fairy story for those afraid of the land down under.

I find it hilarious that Sachin has played 310 fc games more them bradman 234 yet has 81 test centuries compared to Bradman's 117.

I find it hilarious that kohli had played nearly 3x the no of international test games to bradman yet both have 29 international test centuries.

I find it hilarious that the statue of Sachin looks more like Steve smith then Sachin himself, I guess the sculptors knew who was the king.

@Devadwal finished?

Theirs no such thing as an Indian God of cricket or Indian king of cricket. That title belongs to bradman.

This indian God of cricket thing is a fairy story for those afraid of the land down under.

I find it hilarious that Sachin has played 310 fc games more them bradman 234 yet has 81 test centuries compared to Bradman's 117.

I find it hilarious that kohli had played nearly 3x the no of international test games to bradman yet both have 29 international test centuries.

I find it hilarious that the statue of Sachin looks more like Steve smith then Sachin himself, I guess the sculptors knew who was the king.
There's Virat Kohli, Daylight And Then The Rest": Nasser Hussain's about virat Kohli .

Most of commenters ( not talking about indian) called him king Kohli.

But here comes some unknown pakistani oh sorry Australian fan who is crying about king Kohli tag.

There's Virat Kohli, Daylight And Then The Rest": Nasser Hussain's about virat Kohli .

Most of commenters ( not talking about indian) called him king Kohli.

But here comes some unknown pakistani oh sorry Australian fan who is crying about king Kohli tag.
Haan Haan, Nasser Hussain mera phupa hai na, that I care about bi's opinions.

How about you justify the king mantra rather then running away to Nasser Hussain a guy who you haven't even met?

Bradman vs kohli in test, Let's hear it

Haan Haan, Nasser Hussain mera phupa hai na, that I care about bi's opinions.

How about you justify the king mantra rather then running away to Nasser Hussain a guy who you haven't even met?

Bradman vs kohli in test, Let's hear it
Im not a blind cricket expert so i can't discuss about Bradman.

I don't watch him like you so you can assume anything .

Mostly discuss (players) things which i watched lived .

Im not a highlight expert either.

I don't understand how people rate certain player's when they don't even watched them. Unbelievable

Im not a blind cricket expert so i can't discuss about Bradman.

I don't watch him like you so you can assume anything .

Mostly discuss (players) things which i watched lived .

Im not a highlight expert either.

I don't understand how people rate certain player's when they don't even watched them. Unbelievable
Kohli vs Steve Smith in test, Let's hear it despite kohli playing with a better team and not having to deal with bumrah himself.

Smith: 56 avg, 53 SR, 109 matches, 32 100's and 41 50's. High score of 239.

Kohli: 115 matches, 48 avg , 56 sr, 29 100's, 30 50's, high score of 254.

Can you please explain how Smith playing less matches,

Has more centuries and more 50's and a higher avg while playing lesser games then virat kohli who is suppose to be the king.

In fact kohli had 4 years to easily shut smith down? Kya hua?

Kohli vs Steve Smith in test, Let's hear it despite kohli playing with a better team and not having to deal with bumrah himself.

Smith: 56 avg, 53 SR, 109 matches, 32 100's and 41 50's. High score of 239.

Kohli: 115 matches, 48 avg , 56 sr, 29 100's, 30 50's, high score of 254.

Can you please explain how Smith playing less matches,

Has more centuries and more 50's and a higher avg while playing lesser games then virat kohli who is suppose to be the king.

In fact kohli had 4 years to easily shut smith down? Kya hua?
First tell me about bradman , garner etc ,hoq good were they ? As you have watched them .

What happened now ??

Regrading smith and kohli , kohli is miles ahead of Smith in all formats .

I know you chose test stats only bcz everyone knows that Smith has better number.

Has Smith won the test series against india in India? Loke Virat won back to back test series kn australia

Kisko pagal bana rha h ? Bade aye Bradman ko discuss karne

First tell me about bradman , garner etc ,hoq good were they ? As you have watched them .

What happened now ??
You said you're not a blind cricket fan and can't comment because you haven't watched them so I'm giving you a player who you have watched and asking about it?

What's your issue? Why can't you answer the Question for a player who you have seen and love to flash sandpaper arguments on?

Go on, Explain?

As for bradman, Him averaging 56 against a chcuker who use to consistently throw his deliveries at your face and body with 100mph speed that was stated to br even faster then what was measured is > What kohli can play.

Regrading smith and kohli , kohli is miles ahead of Smith in all formats .

I know you chose test stats only bcz everyone knows that Smith has better number.

Has Smith won the test series against india in India? Loke Virat won back to back test series kn australia

Kisko pagal bana rha h ? Bade aye Bradman ko discuss karne
I chose test because I firmly believe steve smith is superior to kohli in test in every which way.

Read my above post. When did I say smith > Kohli in whiteball.

I verbatim said kohli >.

Again, Quote where I said Smith > Kohli in whiteball?

Now you said every format which includes test. Your words, now back them and answer, Back your claim which you have written.

Kis ko pagal bna raha hai?

I chose test because I firmly believe steve smith is superior to kohli in test in every which way.

Read my above post. When did I say smith > Kohli in whiteball.

I verbatim said kohli >.

Again, Quote where I said Smith > Kohli in whiteball?

Now you said every format which includes test. Your words, now back them and answer, Back your claim which you have written.

Kis ko pagal bna raha hai?

Ok now lets hear .

Your every arguments about india limited over cricket team end on World cup final and Travis head is better than anyone's else because he won the final.

Now when comes to test cricket

Virat has played 7 test series against australia and won FIVE( two in australia)

Smith has played 5 test series against india and won ONE ( that only at home )

Now chose which is your argument you have standing .

Ok now lets hear .

Your every arguments about india limited over cricket team end on World cup final and Travis head is better than anyone's else because he won the final.

Now when comes to test cricket

Virat has played 7 test series against australia and won FIVE( two in australia)

Smith has played 5 test series against india and won ONE ( that only at home )

Now chose which is your argument you have standing .
Did I say Travis Head is better then everyone else when I legit put both prime kphli and prime smith > Him?

If you're talking about current, you have to be brain dead to think current kohli who was a virtual passenger till the final, can't even properly bat in odi againat sri lanka and a failure in test for 4 years and smith who's virtually useless in whiteball and mellowed down in test is on par with Travis head who is younger and in his prime years?

You got to be absolutely insane to think current kphli and current smith are superior to current Travis?

Now when it comes to Kohli vs Smith, playing in Australia and winning has got nothing to do with anything, You're bringing in team narratives.

The argument is kphli vs smith, Not India vs Australia in test for which India is superior.

What's the answer and justification here for putting kohli > Smith in test?

Did I say Travis Head is better then everyone else when I legit put both prime kphli and prime smith > Him?

If you're talking about current, you have to be brain dead to think current kohli who was a virtual passenger till the final, can't even properly bat in odi againat sri lanka and a failure in test for 4 years and smith who's virtually useless in whiteball and mellowed down in test is on par with Travis head who is younger and in his prime years?

You got to be absolutely insane to think current kphli and current smith are superior to current Travis?

Now when it comes to Kohli vs Smith, playing in Australia and winning has got nothing to do with anything, You're bringing in team narratives.

The argument is kphli vs smith, Not India vs Australia in test for which India is superior.

What's the answer and justification here for putting kohli > Smith in test?
Its has everything to do .why virat has won more than smith in test cricket .

So i applied only your argument here - Smith only won one series against india that at home and virat won five including two in australia .

Ths mean Smith test runs were useless against india.

This is your logic only ,from my logic those runs are not useless .

Its has everything to do .why virat has won more than smith in test cricket .

So i applied only your argument here - Smith only won one series against india that at home and virat won five including two in australia .

Ths mean Smith test runs were useless against india.

This is your logic only ,from my logic those runs are not useless .
Because he's played with a stronger team, india has been dominant for 4+ years in test cricket yet kohli has been a passenger.

Australia won wc 2023 and went on their 2nd biggest win streak since the classic days with smith still being a passenger.

2023 and 2015 are the only 2 times kohli played a final against australia and he flunked both. That's a historical fact?

he is the 3rd best of this generation that is about to culminate.
but he is more on the level of mo yousuf and inzi overall. below younis khan, dravid, laxman, tenda etc.

actually he isnt much better than pujara.
Kohli is better than laxman

Kohli should take his test career seriously or should make way for deserving talents.
He skipped all important 5 match test series against England, Missed last away BG trophy where Great Rahane won us trophy with kids.
Nowadays, Kohli looks uninterested playing test matches. Look at his dismissal in 1st test against Bangladesh. Huge Edge but he didn't call DRS.
He is more like Fake ambassador, who just gift bats and tshirts to opposite players for booming his PR.

Comparing him with Sachin is childish.
Great Sachin >>>>>>>> Kohli

Kohli along with Williamson are two of the most overrated test batsman ever. Among the Fab 4, Steve Smith and Joe Root are comfortably better. Just tell me any one of Kohli's notable innings where he single handedly won us the game.

Back