[PICTURES] Michael Vaughan's son Archie Vaughan signs professional deal at Somerset

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
v7DOoCp.png

CgYX0rm.png

Michael Vaughan's 18-year-old son Archie has signed a professional contract with Somerset until the end of the 2026 season.

Archie, whose father captained England to Ashes glory in 2005 and scored 18 hundreds in 82 Test matches, plays as a top-order batter and off-spinner.

The teenager has been part of the academy set-up at Taunton and made his first appearance for the second XI in 2022.

This winter, he featured in the T20 Abu Dhabi Counties Super Cup, scoring 35 runs from 28 balls as Somerset beat Yorkshire to finish third.

Archie told Somerset's website ahead of his contract taking effect on November 1: "It's something that I've worked extremely hard for and it's something that I've strived for since I was a kid.

"To get the opportunity for a club where I've really enjoyed myself over the last few years is an honour.

"I will be looking to gain as much experience as I can and learn as much as I can from the more experienced players in the dressing room.

"I want go do my bit in the second team whenever I get the opportunity and be a good team player."

Somerset director of cricket Andy Hurry said: "Archie is a young man with a bright future ahead of him.

"Since joining the academy he has demonstrated a genuine and strong desire to work incredibly hard and improve every facet of his game.

"This hard work alongside his impressive on-field performances have led to second XI opportunities, in which he has flourished."

Michael Vaughan spent his entire county career at Yorkshire.

Last edited:
Archie Vaughan, the 18-year-old son of former England captain Michael Vaughan, has been given a County Championship debut for Somerset in their match against Durham today

The teenager signed his first professional deal with the county earlier this year, having been part of the academy set-up since 2020. He also made his England U19s debut in a Youth Test against Sri Lanka last month, where he opened the batting alongside Jadyn Denly - nephew of Joe Denly. He scored six off 19 balls before he was caught behind in the first innings of that game, and made 14 off 30 in the second innings.

That England U19s side also featured Rocky Flintoff, son of Andrew Flintoff, who made his County Championship debut for Lancashire last week, and Farhan Ahmed, brother of Rehan Ahmed.

Following his U19s debut, Vaughan made his professional debut for Somerset in the One Day Cup. He had an unfortunate debut, when he was run out before facing a ball to pick up a diamond duck. In the two subsequent innings he played in the competition, he has a top score of 31* against Worcestershire.

Source: Wisden

Last edited by a moderator:
A six-wicket haul for Archie Vaughan, son of former England captain Michael, in his second County Championship match for Somerset

YZzkWpm.jpg

Last edited:
Back