[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Saim Ayub - the real deal or a flash in the pan?

Look at Ghulam and Saud playing right now. The team needs another 50 runs and they have shown a bit of grit with good shot selection while others crumble around them. Test cricket is a game of patience and resilience but above all being judicious with an eye on an evolving match situation.

Saim will need a few years in first class to learn the basics. He doesn’t know anything for tests. All this wristiness means nothing because he’s playing on very slow wickets. If he was in Uk he wouldn’t last an over. This is why Abdullah is struggling. He hasn’t learnt his craft but still is gritting it out making an occasional 100. Those players Abdullah, Saud, Ghulam, Jamal are the future. Not yet Saim. In LO he’s ok.
Look I agree that you can't just pack the team with youngsters. Test match temperament isn't something that is built overnight. But it's not like Imam or Shan have that temperament either. I think the middle order is fine barring Babar coming back in at 3. But Pakistan has to develop some young players that may not necessarily have alot of experience but can be long-term prospects for us. Sometimes players need baptism by fire. And there is no better way to learn test cricket then by playing test cricket.

Tbh, he showed what he was capable of in his innings of 30 odd against Australia. He certainly looked much more assured against short-pitched bowling than most Pakistan openers do in Australia, where they are ducking for cover. I also rate Saim much more highly than Abdullah, who seems to have some very obvious technical flaws in his game right now that he needs to work on.

This guy seriously needs to spend some time in first-class cricket so he can understand the basics of the longer format... every time he comes out to play like he's playing in some local Ramadan tournament.

Back