[PICTURES] Why was Shreyas Iyer not given out in the 2nd ODI against Australia?

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
it's obvious he had complete control of it even though it touched the ground. Therefore, in my opinion it was clearly out.

What do you think, is it right call from 3rd Umpire for giving not out?

Abbott to Shreyas Iyer, no run, a chance and Abbott dives across to accept it with glee - Australia have broken through finally, Shreyas departs to a standing ovation form the Indore crowd. Was a loopy full-toss that dipped onto the right-hander - Shreyas jammed the bat down as he attempted to squeeze it out, scooped it in the air and to the other side of the pitch - Abbott arrests his follow through and then threw himself at the ball, it did help that the ball came on slowly, he gets both hands around and cusps it with his right hand. The 3rd umpire is having several looks, the point of contention was to check if he was in control over the catch when the ball grazed the ground, which it definitely did - umpire KN Ananthapadmanabhan has plenty of looks and decides that Abbott wasn't in complete control the crowd roars in delight as NOT OUT flashes on the big screen.

1695553781710.png

1695553798247.png

Last edited:
I think it was a fair call by the umpire because ball was touching the ground when he dived which means he was getting supprt from the ground to keep the ball in his hands.

Aussies do have this bad habit of catching and dragging the ball with hand. Has happened a few times and I think this is pretty much allowed in domestic cricket there.

FOX sports made a big deal of it. He got out in 3 balls after that. But that was clearly not out. He was unable to gain control. He had to use ground to gain control while ball touching it.

Aussies do have this bad habit of catching and dragging the ball with hand. Has happened a few times and I think this is pretty much allowed in domestic cricket there.
At least they take their catches unlike Pakistani players who apparently have hands lubricated with ghee.

Any cricketer from gully to professional knows that you always have to keep your fingers under the ball for the entirety of the catch. That is how a catch will always be judged. Schoolboy error from Abbott.

I believe there’s are pretty clear that it’s not out. Honestly I’d be comfortable with the rules being changed for these kinds of catches though.

So, can we way Iyer can't score runs without any respite?

Back