PM Shehbaz Sharif approves the appointment of Najam Sethi as PCB Chairman

adi_62941

Tape Ball Captain
Runs
ISLAMABAD – Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Wednesday approved the appointment of former caretaker CM Najam Sethi as the new chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

A notification in this regard will be issued later in the day, reports suggest. After his appointment, the renowned journalist and TV host will replace former cricketer Ramiz Raja who took over the cricket board in September last year.

The development comes days after Sethi, a known critic of former PM Imran Khan, met Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.

More to follow...

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/21-...ys-appointment-of-najam-sethi-as-pcb-chairman

👋 goodbye rameez and good riddance, take mo wasim, saqi and babar with you.

YESS.

Happy to see Ramiz Raja being sacked. He gave too much power to Babar and hired an incompetent management that led to his downfall. PML N were waiting for poor results to sack him

Imran Khan should stay away from cricket even if he becomes PM again. He doesn't have a clue about modern cricket, his ideas are too simplistic.

6 teams = more completion is completely false.

According to reports that Ramiz Raja is a dictator like chairman, he wanted everything under his control.

PJL was a the biggest waste of money, that money could have been used to organize U19 and A tours

Oh dear the circus starts again

Started to loose interest in Pak cricket in general but this doesn’t help

Rambo was poor but a journalist taking over cricketing affairs is sad times

should have wait until next year ODI worldcup . Just to see Ramiz can walk the talk , for not coming to india.

I expect babar's remvoal from captaincy after NZ series.
Moh rizwan will be new captain

PM can appoint him as part of board of governors. He won't automatically become chairman.

Lol Muhammad Rizwan's place in the squad is even questionable and you think he will be captain. Lollll

Agreed

Rizwan who usually has to do much less in order to have more benefits missed a golden opportunity to perform in the 3 Tests and elevate himself as a captaincy candidate

Ramiz was poor but sethi is even worst. I remeber in his time as Pcb chairman, shakeel sheikh used to make sure his son arsal sheikh makes the playing eleven of every domestic tournament.Sethi is a pure lobbyist and ******** chairman. I remeber in his time Pakistan's ODI and t20 team was one of the worst ever. Test team performed better because they used to play in UAE. i am sure if they were playing in Pakistan, their situation woukd not have been much different from current team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, I will believe it once it is officially announced.

Secondly, whether it is Sethi or anyone who takes over…if the product is poor, if the politics by the chairman is questionable, inconsistent and unfair…he will not be spared just like Ramiz.

Yeh mera vaada hai

Sethi was a bigger buffoon than Ramiz. Went begging to India for series and then exclaimed "We are part of big 4" when he got that bogus MOU. Got his ego hurt by Indians not coming forth with the promised series, and went on to take BCCI to court and lost millions of PCB's money.

Like Ramiz, loved limelight. Every other day he would say something about Indian series or BCCI.

Called Misbah the captain to his political TV show on private channel while being PCB chairman to interrogate him for his captaincy and batting - Misbah was perturbed in the show and famously said "Should I launch rocket launcher to show aggression".

Allegedly misappropriate PCB funds (documents were leaked by Ehsan Mani), used to visit every country Pakistan team visited for free holidays.

Undermined Shahriar Khan when there were two heads of PCB at the same time.

Acted hero when he bragged about catching Sharjeel Khan "red handed doing fixing" and proclaimed he has concrete evidence against the opener, which he will share later. Evidence never surfaced

He is the same guy backed Big 3. India fooled him and PCB lost 20 mn usd due to case and 75 percent broadcast revenue.

Ramiz was poor but sethi is even worst. I remeber in his time as Pcb chairman, shakeel sheikh used to make sure his son arsal sheikh makes the playing eleven of every domestic tournament.Sethi is a pure lobbyist and ******** chairman. I remeber in his time Pakistan's ODI and t20 team was one of the worst ever. Test team performed better because they used to play in UAE. i am sure if they were playing in Pakistan, their situation woukd not have been much different from current team.

I listened to Shakeel Sheikh the other day. He was spot on when he said that it is PCB’s job to force the players to put in the hard yards in FC.

Cowards like Rauf, Naseem, Shadab etc. barely play FC cricket & when they play Test cricket, they get injured after one match. Shadab doesn’t even have the courage to play the format.

How is he playing in BBL & earning A$ when Pakistan is struggling with its spin bowling stocks in Test cricket is beyond me. There is no accountability whatsoever & it is PCB’s fault that they created this situation.

Come the PSL, all these players will become magically fit & even if they do get injured, they will do whatever they can to play through because PSL match fees are very high.

I don’t believe for one moment that Naseem & Rauf were injured to such an extent that they had to be ruled out of the series. I am convinced that both of them ran away after getting thrashed in Pindi & PCB could not do anything about it.

Pakistan Test cricket will continue to plummet as long as these players have no respect & no interest in the format. They are fake patriots. If PCB stops giving central contracts to players who are not interested in Test cricket, they will happily retire from ODIs & T20Is & focus on franchise cricket.

Hopefully new chairman and new captain. Can't tolerate this Babar and Rizwan duo anymore.

He is the same guy backed Big 3. India fooled him and PCB lost 20 mn usd due to case and 75 percent broadcast revenue.

That was a massive blunder on his part but he did what the emotional public wanted him to do. Had he backed out, he would have been called a coward & a sellout who was too scared to lock horns with BCCI.

It was a battle he was never going to win & he could also never run away from. A lose-lose situation for him.

Good appointment by PM. Time for Youtuber to go back and sell his aggressive cricket manjan and kiss Indian butts for more views.

I listened to Shakeel Sheikh the other day. He was spot on when he said that it is PCB’s job to force the players to put in the hard yards in FC.

Cowards like Rauf, Naseem, Shadab etc. barely play FC cricket & when they play Test cricket, they get injured after one match. Shadab doesn’t even have the courage to play the format.

How is he playing in BBL & earning A$ when Pakistan is struggling with its spin bowling stocks in Test cricket is beyond me. There is no accountability whatsoever & it is PCB’s fault that they created this situation.

Come the PSL, all these players will become magically fit & even if they do get injured, they will do whatever they can to play through because PSL match fees are very high.

I don’t believe for one moment that Naseem & Rauf were injured to such an extent that they had to be ruled out of the series. I am convinced that both of them ran away after getting thrashed in Pindi & PCB could not do anything about it.

Pakistan Test cricket will continue to plummet as long as these players have no respect & no interest in the format. They are fake patriots. If PCB stops giving central contracts to players who are not interested in Test cricket, they will happily retire from ODIs & T20Is & focus on franchise cricket.
He is saying these things becaise he is not in power as of now. Let him get a job in PCB and see how he selects all these ******** players without any merit whatsoever. Moreover, if shadab does not want to play tests, it is his personal choice. He should not be forced to play a format that he is not interested in. You can't just force someone to play tests and then expect them to perform. Players who are performing in first class should be selected to play in Pakistan team. If they do not perform well, then there is issue with our domestic structure and that needs to be solved

I'm willing to give Najam Sethi a chance. Those saying he's a political appointee should remember IK had 3.5 years to end the link between the PCB and the Patron like he'd promised for years, but did nothing.

My main concern is avoiding a return to the previous flawed domestic system.

I'm encouraged by what Sethi said in his 2018 PP interview:

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/s...e-hurt-and-destroyed-the-PCB-quot-Najam-Sethi

PakPassion.net: Any areas where you feel you didn't achieve your target during your tenure?

Najam Sethi: Absolutely so and you will be surprised to note that one of the first things that I wanted to do when I was appointed as Chairman PCB was to try and organise regional cricket along the way its organised all over the world which is also what Imran Khan has been saying all along. I recall that in my first meeting at the PCB I said that we need to do what Imran Khan has been talking about as that is the right way to go forward for Pakistan cricket. We had to have quality regional teams and we must have a system which feeds talents to those teams. This would allow for a fiercely competitive and high-quality environment. But one thing which was standing in the way of this progress were the departments and the way the cricket structure was organised in which these entities were a world unto themselves. Many of the cricketers had jobs with the departments and the regions were lazy in a way as they could not raise money to support themselves and were dependent on PCB’s largesse for their survival. This is exactly the kind of crisis that a strong man like Imran Khan can resolve as he believes in it and the departments will not be able to stand up to him.

PakPassion.net: How in your view, can domestic cricket be organised in regional terms?

Najam Sethi: What we need to do is to merge the system in a way that we only have regional cricket and that departments should become sponsors of cricket, rather than cricket playing agencies of their own. When that happens, you will get proper fan basis and the regional sub-nationalisms coming into the equation and you will see the stadiums filling up. Who really wants to see a cricket match where one department is playing another department? Such teams have no fan loyalty, so it doesn’t make sense, but we have a situation where the departmental system is strong with many of Pakistan’s top cricketers having played for the departments and are thus unwilling to speak against their alma maters as such. And the reason the departments came into the picture was because the Board was poor and could not pay their players well. This is why the departments came in and thought that this would be good for their image but in the end, they became bureaucratised and also were not getting any real fan following as well as any significant revenues out of it.

For the removal of departments from Pakistan cricket, a change in constitution is required which isn’t as easy as it sounds, as I found out when I tried to change it. There was a revolt against me and people even went to parliament to stop me from changing the cricket structure which was producing some top stars for the country. What people were forgetting was that those were the days of Test cricket where placid pitches were the norm. But, now life is changing, and cricket is being played at a faster pace and our structure wasn’t geared for that. It was indeed a terrible time for me as I could not even persuade my own Board on this issue as the PCB itself had a representation of four departments and they suddenly saw their existence under threat and put up a huge resistance. I believe that Imran Khan should take on this challenge and revamp the domestic structure.

A better option than Rambo for sure.

But, is it the right option? That is debatable. His past tenure had some ups and downs. He pulled off PSL and brought cricket back home, that's a positive.

We put up a commendable performance in Tests under his tenure, where Misbah ran the show but at least he backed him.

But then, there were some blunders as well. Wasted PCB's money in going after a hopeless case.

I feel someone else may have been a better option, we've already tried him - he was OK, but we need someone more dynamic in this era.

Some negatives are quoted in the post below.

Sethi was a bigger buffoon than Ramiz. Went begging to India for series and then exclaimed "We are part of big 4" when he got that bogus MOU. Got his ego hurt by Indians not coming forth with the promised series, and went on to take BCCI to court and lost millions of PCB's money.

Like Ramiz, loved limelight. Every other day he would say something about Indian series or BCCI.

Called Misbah the captain to his political TV show on private channel while being PCB chairman to interrogate him for his captaincy and batting - Misbah was perturbed in the show and famously said "Should I launch rocket launcher to show aggression".

Allegedly misappropriate PCB funds (documents were leaked by Ehsan Mani), used to visit every country Pakistan team visited for free holidays.

Undermined Shahriar Khan when there were two heads of PCB at the same time.

Acted hero when he bragged about catching Sharjeel Khan "red handed doing fixing" and proclaimed he has concrete evidence against the opener, which he will share later. Evidence never surfaced

What do you think [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]?

Lol what a circus . Poor Ramiz just organized players celebration 😂😂

“Seth was doing a fine job” - [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]

On my own grave, I promise you he’d mock anyone else if they had lost PCB 20 mil to BCCI…the constant reminders of his errors but cos it’s Sethi it’s just a “blunder”.

Also, Sethi ran away before IK became PM, he wasn’t removed.

Sad to see Rambo go.

This was the peak banter era of Pak cricket.

I think only Pak with PM SS and SL with their PM have this big a clout in the say and selections of the pcb high officials, sleectors etc, dont know if this is the case in other countries

Good riddance. But I fear this will probably mean a return back to the garbage departmental system, and yet another overhaul in the domestic structure.

Now that NZ team has left for Pak..there should be some clarity on this issue.. formal notification not been issued..and theres confusion all around..on who is the chairman PCB..as of now..

There should be clarity on this before NZ team arrives in Pak

Can PCB please remove Rameez from all cricket related stuff please, don't need Mr two face loud mouth back in comms box

According to reports

Ramiz Raja is going to fight till the last ball to secure his spot, will take a legal course of action.

I hope people do know that Rameez Raja was also a political apointee.

“Seth was doing a fine job” - [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]

On my own grave, I promise you he’d mock anyone else if they had lost PCB 20 mil to BCCI…the constant reminders of his errors but cos it’s Sethi it’s just a “blunder”.

Also, Sethi ran away before IK became PM, he wasn’t removed.

PCB lost the case and paid $1.6mn not 20mn.

According to 2019 constitution, patron can't sack chairman PCB or dissolve the board

I think PM Shehbaz would argue that since there has been no election in PCB of any regional team for last 3 years hence the board has no legal status also chairman is illegally election by an illegal BOG, so it will be dissolved.

Last edited:
This is all so gloriously preposterous.
Can one imagine a situation in which Rishi Sunak would decide who would replace Gareth Southgate as England manager or indeed Mark Bellingham as head of the Football Association (FA).

Not entirely sure it makes sense to allow politicians to make these sporting decisions, especially as most politicians, around the world, seem to get most things wrong.

Regardless of who appointed who, if someone in the position of appointing a support staff around the captain thinks that support staff doesn't matter in this day and age, they should have been booted out the day they made their views known.

Sethi is a smart guy but his priorities are different and its not cricket . He possesses some special talent which PM likes in him.

Right man for the right job.

It was Najat Sethi who actually brought us a league like the PSL.

I for one enjoyed his time. Every cricketer I hear says good stuff about him.

Regardless of who appointed who, if someone in the position of appointing a support staff around the captain thinks that support staff doesn't matter in this day and age, they should have been booted out the day they made their views known.

Captains make teams not Support staff. BM may have said be positive but ultimately its Stokes that makes it happen or not. Shane Warne had nothing but contempt for John Buchanan

Interesting!

No wonder.

Clause 47. Ramiz is a goner after reading this. They will amend the constitution

PCB.JPG

Imran Khan is at fault for the removal of Ramiz Raja, he promised to depoliticize PCB but IK didn't do zilch to stop the government interference.

Good riddance. But I fear this will probably mean a return back to the garbage departmental system, and yet another overhaul in the domestic structure.

They should be doing an interview process and not selecting people based upon previews links.

I don't agree with any appointment before doing interviews same old friendships being picked in high positions.

Captains make teams not Support staff. BM may have said be positive but ultimately its Stokes that makes it happen or not. Shane Warne had nothing but contempt for John Buchanan

Didn't i use the term support staff? Coaches have a significant impact, Buchannan is a bad example, Autralia were world beaters during his tenure, but that team was stacked with talent, what was Buchannan going to do with tinkering with their techniques or working out something?

IPL teams must be fools to pay a premier for elite coaches.

Didn't i use the term support staff? Coaches have a significant impact, Buchannan is a bad example, Autralia were world beaters during his tenure, but that team was stacked with talent, what was Buchannan going to do with tinkering with their techniques or working out something?

IPL teams must be fools to pay a premier for elite coaches.

Coaches have little impact unless you give them power to select the team which few do. Everything supposedly does is the job of the captain. Cricket is trying to copy football

I'm willing to give Najam Sethi a chance. Those saying he's a political appointee should remember IK had 3.5 years to end the link between the PCB and the Patron like he'd promised for years, but did nothing.

My main concern is avoiding a return to the previous flawed domestic system.

I'm encouraged by what Sethi said in his 2018 PP interview:

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/s...e-hurt-and-destroyed-the-PCB-quot-Najam-Sethi
Then why are they reverting back 2014 constitution?

Hopefully Shahid Afridi is appointed director of white ball cricket or something

Hopefully Shahid Afridi is appointed director of white ball cricket or something

Shahid Afridi will be busy with his business and charity, don't think he has the time for this. Normal salary will be peanuts for him

Imran Khan should stay away from cricket even if he becomes PM again. He doesn't have a clue about modern cricket, his ideas are too simplistic.

Yea, like weating a tiger t-shirt

Welcome Najam Sethi - now favors to kids of Khwaja's of Lahore

Sethi has a soft corner for Imad Wasim but zilch for Babar.

So what happens if there is a change of government after this? Another chairman is replaced? Domestic structure is revamped once again?

I don't care for Ramiz or his replacement but what I will say is, this government interference cannot and should not continue. It is so ridiculous that this has been happening to begin with but the most absurd part is how quickly chairmans come & go. With it, comes new selectors who also come & go very quickly along with coaches and it all leads to a very inconsistent & ever changing vision of how the team needs to be built.

Pitches change every ball or sometimes its the balls, sometimes the entire domestic setup and then fans ask why is our team so inconsistent? How can it ever be consistent when there's nothing stable about all of this. There's no stability from top down, no stability in selections and changes are made on a whim.

Honestly, I just doubt anything will change for the better. If Sethi comes, I am sure he will bring his cronies to make money as fast as possible before he is replaced and changes will be made for the sake of making changes but I doubt it will change any outlook on the team as its problem lie so deep.

So what happens if there is a change of government after this? Another chairman is replaced? Domestic structure is revamped once again?

I don't care for Ramiz or his replacement but what I will say is, this government interference cannot and should not continue. It is so ridiculous that this has been happening to begin with but the most absurd part is how quickly chairmans come & go. With it, comes new selectors who also come & go very quickly along with coaches and it all leads to a very inconsistent & ever changing vision of how the team needs to be built.

Pitches change every ball or sometimes its the balls, sometimes the entire domestic setup and then fans ask why is our team so inconsistent? How can it ever be consistent when there's nothing stable about all of this. There's no stability from top down, no stability in selections and changes are made on a whim.

Honestly, I just doubt anything will change for the better. If Sethi comes, I am sure he will bring his cronies to make money as fast as possible before he is replaced and changes will be made for the sake of making changes but I doubt it will change any outlook on the team as its problem lie so deep.

This has always been the case unfortunately.

IK promised for years to end the link between the PCB Chairman and Patron but did zilch. Frankly ICC should've suspended Pakistan for political interference a long time ago.

However there's one rule for countries like Zimbabwe and another for everyone else.

This has always been the case unfortunately.

IK promised for years to end the link between the PCB Chairman and Patron but did zilch. Frankly ICC should've suspended Pakistan for political interference a long time ago.

However there's one rule for countries like Zimbabwe and another for everyone else.

A very interesting point.
Given the overt involvement of sub-continental politicians in the governance of the game in their respective countries, should this be not be a red flag for the ICC ?
They won’t, of course, do anything because they are a powerless organisation whose only 8nter#t is revenue generation.

So Ramiz officially is no longer the chairman. The option of honorable resignation does not apply anymore. If he fights this in court, the PCB will ban him from commentating in future assignments.

So Ramiz officially is no longer the chairman. The option of honorable resignation does not apply anymore. If he fights this in court, the PCB will ban him from commentating in future assignments.

Taste of his own medicine

He crossed the line when he threatened legal action against ex cricketers for expressing their views about him as chairman.

PakPassion.net: Any areas where you feel you didn't achieve your target during your tenure?

Najam Sethi: Absolutely so and you will be surprised to note that one of the first things that I wanted to do when I was appointed as Chairman PCB was to try and organise regional cricket along the way its organised all over the world which is also what Imran Khan has been saying all along. I recall that in my first meeting at the PCB I said that we need to do what Imran Khan has been talking about as that is the right way to go forward for Pakistan cricket. We had to have quality regional teams and we must have a system which feeds talents to those teams. This would allow for a fiercely competitive and high-quality environment. But one thing which was standing in the way of this progress were the departments and the way the cricket structure was organised in which these entities were a world unto themselves. Many of the cricketers had jobs with the departments and the regions were lazy in a way as they could not raise money to support themselves and were dependent on PCB’s largesse for their survival. This is exactly the kind of crisis that a strong man like Imran Khan can resolve as he believes in it and the departments will not be able to stand up to him.

Lets see if Sethi holds to his views as many of the posters describe him as a virtuous man or if he shows no spine like the rest of the lot.

So after the elections when Imran Khan wins it will go back to Ramiz? The elites of Pakistan will leave nothing good for the country

So after the elections when Imran Khan wins it will go back to Ramiz? The elites of Pakistan will leave nothing good for the country

I think the Pakistani awaam will make sure now Imran doesn’t win…just for the sake of cricket

It will be a very short tenure , Sethi will be sent home after the general elections and some inquiries will open against him for financial mismatching.

What's the cricketing background Sethi has ? anyone knows ?

His crickting background is that he was never accused of getting special treatment for getting fast tracked into cricket by his team mates.

Let us have 50 departmental teams.Pakistan will win every ICC competition it has 50 or more FC teams.Australia should copy Pakistan and increase the number of it’s teams from six to 50.

Let us have 50 departmental teams.Pakistan will win every ICC competition it has 50 or more FC teams.Australia should copy Pakistan and increase the number of it’s teams from six to 50.

Well, that’s a pretty massive pool to pick players from

Oh dear the circus starts again

Started to loose interest in Pak cricket in general but this doesn’t help

Rambo was poor but a journalist taking over cricketing affairs is sad times
This circus is not going to end.The next PM will replace Sethi with his own chairman.No wonder Pakistan cricket,economy abd everything is at rock bottom.Sethi was imprisoned by Nawaz Sharif on trumped up charge of treason because he wrote about corruption of Sharif family.He suffered an heart attack while in jail.The same Sethi has become a lackey of Sharifs and has been rewarded by them.

Well, that’s a pretty massive pool to pick players from

Lets focus on quality over quantity.

Sethi is a tried and tested failure. It was Wasim Khan and Ramiz who actually bought top quality foreign teams to Pakistan.

This is a backward step but this Sethi tenure will not be for long in shallah.

Back