Potential Pakistan Wicketkeeper-Batsman candidates

as-95

Local Club Star
Runs
With the selectors again thinking about selecting Sarfraz Ahmed and dropping Adnan Akmal, I feel it is a shame to ignore the talented Rizwan who is currently doing well in the Domestic Circuit. I will look at some potential Wicketkeeping Batsman (including Rizwan) that could replace Sarfaraz/Adnan and make the spot permanently their own in the next 2-3 years. I am emphasising their batting skills as a Good keeper that can not bat is of little use(Salman) wheras batsman that keep regularly or even occasionally are much more useful as it is easier to improve keeping skills than improving your batting drastically. I Will write their names and their current stats and write updates when they have good knocks and then also update their stats from time to time.

All of these players have their own individual threads on PakPassion but I think it would be good to have all the Good Batting wk candidates in a single thread so we can compare and contrast them. Obviously Rizwan is the only one playing Departmental Cricket at the moment so his average is bound to be lower since he is playing against better bowlers. However, one should remember that although the bowlers are easier in Regional, its no mean feat having a 45+ avg in regional as then every other batsman would have it so you must still be talented to pile the runs even in Regional. So far in 13/14 First Class Regional Rehan afridi with 91 average in 6 games so far and Siddiq with 63 average in 6 gamesv

Also, there is the argument that one or two of these players haven't played enough matches, but regardless, they have started well and Insha Allah, as time goes on, they will continue their good performances in future.

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=174661
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=174951
http://host.pakpassion.net/~pakpass/ppforum/showthread.php?t=188698
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=127523

Also if anyone knows of any other promising young Wicketkeeping Batsman, I will add into OP and stats if suitable.

Attachments

• wicketkeepers pakpassion.jpg
    wicketkeepers pakpassion.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 370
Should be Rizwan if it is going to happen. He has a healthy average in both formats and has played a great deal of matches to prove it is consistent. Fielding wise he even looks better. His catches show he is far ahead of anyone else in Pakistan (per match basis by comparison to the other two it's also not even close).

Rizwan, should be selected, another very promising batsman was Bismillah Khan but he was banned for a while. Is Rehan Afridi that dashing batsman that played for FATA in that T20 tournament, in which they made the final, their keeper was really good too

I don't know they all look good "on paper", can't assess their WK skills without seeing them but all three are capable batsmen ; in fact Rizwan and Umar Siddique Khan both opened the batting for their teams (in List As/dom. ODIs) from time to time, and when Rizwan did it for the first time, he scored a century @ SR 100 against a dpt. team (Najaf Shah/Cheema)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/engine/match/677763.html

^from the number of 4s and the SR, you can gather that he has both shots in the arsenal and knows how to rotate the strike.

So the point is that they're all "proper" batsmen... now, if we do a "Sarfraz" with them, namely play them at 7-8 in ODIs and give them a chance in Test cricket only against SA in SA (not the easiest place!), we're on our way to disappointment.

If I had to chose one of them for the future Test series against Sri Lanka in the UAE though, I'd go for Rizwan first, even if Rehan Afridi is in quite some form right now (second with most runs in the QeA trophy, averages 90, three 100s, SR +75.)

Last edited:
Should be Rizwan if it is going to happen. He has a healthy average in both formats and has played a great deal of matches to prove it is consistent. Fielding wise he even looks better. His catches show he is far ahead of anyone else in Pakistan (per match basis by comparison to the other two it's also not even close).
Yep I agree, Rizwan is proving himself in Departmental cricket so he is first in line. But Siddiq and Rehan are also good candidates for the future, especially if they manage to keep high average when they play for departmental sides in coming seasons.

Rizwan, should be selected, another very promising batsman was Bismillah Khan but he was banned for a while. Is Rehan Afridi that dashing batsman that played for FATA in that T20 tournament, in which they made the final, their keeper was really good too
Sorry Not sure about which torunament your talking about. Maybe someone else can answer if it was him.

I don't know they all look good "on paper", can't assess their WK skills without seeing them but all three are capable batsmen ; in fact Rizwan and Umar Siddique Khan both opened the batting for their teams (in List As/dom. ODIs) from time to time, and when Rizwan did it for the first time, he scored a century @ SR 100 against a dpt. team (Najaf Shah/Cheema)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/engine/match/677763.html

^from the number of 4s and the SR, you can gather that he has both shots in the arsenal and knows how to rotate the strike.

So the point is that they're all "proper" batsmen... now, if we do a "Sarfraz" with them, namely play them at 7-8 in ODIs and give them a chance in Test cricket only against SA in SA (not the easiest place!), we're on our way to disappointment.

If I had to chose one of them for the future Test series against Sri Lanka in the UAE though, I'd go for Rizwan first, even if Rehan Afridi is in quite some form right now (second with most runs in the QeA trophy, averages 90, three 100s, SR +75.)
Yeah. He deserves the chance as he has been performing for his Department consistently in First Class. Was also picked for a previous International tour earlier but didnt get a chance to play(Cant remember which side it was against). Hopefully the other 2 also continue their good progress and perform for their Departments when they move on.

Yup just found out that the keeper was indeed Rehan Afridi, this guy is a batting beast. It was some ramzan tournament ages back, in which Karachi Gymkhana played FATA in the finals, Fawad Alam played a winning knock

Answered my own question, dude is definitely one for the future

We know that Sarfraz is due for a comeback again, which will be followed by a recall for Adnan, which will then be followed by a recall for Sarfraz.

Umar Siddiqs team Lahore Lions knocked out by Peshawar in one Day Cup. Scored 79 runs with 72 strike rate batting at no.3. Top score for his team as they were bowled out for 214. Finished competition with 45 .83 average

Rizwans scores in December(from latest to earliest):1,2,7,50,0,60*,0. Seems to be either score decent amount or get out very cheaply.

International cricket is a different ball game, i wouldn't say so & so would be fit for a certain position in international cricket based on their domestic performance.

have to see them perform in the international arena to see whose fit for the purpose.

i thought sharjeel khan would break all records in his first few games based on the hype he had been getting on here and hafeez is a useless player but against the same bowlers on the same grounds hafeez made a total of 448 and sharjeel 101

so its best to judge by actual performance when they get a chance than whats on the domestic papers.

International cricket is a different ball game, i wouldn't say so & so would be fit for a certain position in international cricket based on their domestic performance.

have to see them perform in the international arena to see whose fit for the purpose.

i thought sharjeel khan would break all records in his first few games based on the hype he had been getting on here and hafeez is a useless player but against the same bowlers on the same grounds hafeez made a total of 448 and sharjeel 101

so its best to judge by actual performance when they get a chance than whats on the domestic papers.

I never rated sharjeel that high, there were definite flaws in his batting and fitness was and is a big question mark.
I do rate Harris Sohail highly though.

Rizwan and Bismilllah Khan seem to be good prospects ,worth trying out at the international level , both playing departmental cricket . Rizwan has good stats to show as the latter has fallen behind due to a one year ban and now injury issues this season .

Last edited:
With a guy like Ajmal in the team you should look for someone who is test standard as a keeper first and then worry about the batting.

This can be seen by watching a keeper's footwork behind the stumps.

With a guy like Ajmal in the team you should look for someone who is test standard as a keeper first and then worry about the batting.

Batting is important too because we dont want a 5 man tail if we pick a loser like sarfraz

Interesting point. But our tail is already weak enough. A keeper that cannot bat would make it even worse. Sarfaraz himself doesn't have too bad FC stats. He could potentially come good as his test matches aren't really a fair assessment since they were overseas. These are just other available options who could become better batsman than him.

Taufeeq Umar should work on wicket keeping. He kept in one innings. Was a quality keeper.

Ajmal Cant win matches if batsmen give him no runs. We need more Batsmen not less

I think rehan afridi should make it to intl level. Look at his SR and conversion rate from 50 to 100. Not a single 50 but 3 100s.

I think rehan afridi should make it to intl level. Look at his SR and conversion rate from 50 to 100. Not a single 50 but 3 100s.
Too early to say. He's still playing Regional cricket. If he performs similarly in Departmental, he may get a shot. However performing in regional is also obviously a good sign and Insha Allah he can keep up performances for department.

Adnan Akmal doing decently today
Sure he's decent behind stumps but were specifically discussing batting qualities of the players and we have seen Adnan is a mediocre batsman.

Too early to say. He's still playing Regional cricket. If he performs similarly in Departmental, he may get a shot. However performing in regional is also obviously a good sign and Insha Allah he can keep up performances for department.

Sure he's decent behind stumps but were specifically discussing batting qualities of the players and we have seen Adnan is a mediocre batsman.

he is a great fighter. come in 4 wickets remaining needing to lift the lead to like 150. Adnan Akmal's your man in these type of scenarios :)

Its safe to say the we have the worst WK pool among all Test playing nations and I am sure, most of the associates as well.

Lets not get carried away with domestic averages, they arent worth much when it comes to providing a picture to how good a batsmen is when they need to make a step up to the highest level.

Sarfaraz has a good domestic record and at highest level he looks he doesnt know what end of the cricket bat to hold :facepalm:

Pakistan are really scrapping the barrel in terms of batting resources currently

About time I bumped this thread I created almost 10 years ago. Time sure does fly!

As you can see, I was posting about Rizwan replacing Sarfraz back in 2013! If only the selectors had the foresight to do this, Rizwan would have probably ended up an ATG wicket keeper as opposed to simply the best Pakistani keeper ever as he is on track to be now. At 29 years old, he still has plenty of mileage, but its a shame that our selectors are so backward and failed to give this talented player a chance and stick with him.

Interestingly enough, there is plenty of humble pie in this thread for some of Pakpassions renowned wrist slitters lol.

About time I bumped this thread I created almost 10 years ago. Time sure does fly!

As you can see, I was posting about Rizwan replacing Sarfraz back in 2013! If only the selectors had the foresight to do this, Rizwan would have probably ended up an ATG wicket keeper as opposed to simply the best Pakistani keeper ever as he is on track to be now. At 29 years old, he still has plenty of mileage, but its a shame that our selectors are so backward and failed to give this talented player a chance and stick with him.

Interestingly enough, there is plenty of humble pie in this thread for some of Pakpassions renowned wrist slitters lol.

Spot on on your part :) very well done, the fact that you realized Rizwan was the one who should be Pakistan WK-batsman in 2013 was really amazing

From what I remember no one even mentioned his name, I believe around that time, it was really Sarfraz and Adnan Akmal.

Back