Predict the biggest upsets in the T20 World Cup 2024 edition

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Like CWC 2023, we may witness some upsets this T20 WC too. Even more than that we may see big stalwarts crashing out at the hands of minnows.

The teams like USA, Ireland, Namibia, Afghanistan, Papua New Guinea and Scotland are very much capable to upset any big day on their day.

So the question is which encounters do you guys fancy as one of the biggest upsets in this edition and also make mention of other upsets that you can foresee.

I believe USA will be the one to watch out as they had already humbled Bangladesh, and can upset Ireland, Pakistan too.

Ireland on the other hand can beat Pak or India too.

The Pakistan vs Ireland match is evenly matched. Ireland's recent performance has shown their capability. We lost the first game and almost lost the third one, but thanks to those 3-4 dropped catches, we managed to win the final game.

My 99.99 % prediction South Africa will bottle it against some minnow this WC, probably Netherlands

one upset could have happened tonight during the match between England and Scotland today because i think chasing 110 in 10 overs was a bit challenging task for england on this wicket.

USA has a real shot here as they bowl first. Ali khan and netravalkar have the chance to be heroes. Think Ali Khan is underrated. He can be the surprise bowler today. Hope the Dallas crowd turns up and supports USA !
USA USA USA !! Can hear the chant chorus and the decibel levels :D

England are so generous towards European Nation as almost in every other T20 WC event they hand them a freebie victory.

tdFHXKo.jpeg

We have become a laughing stock everywhere
====
Canada's captain pre toss conversation today

"It's always good to see an associate country to beat a full member country. Hopefully what USA did to Pakistan, we can do to Ireland. If you play your A game on the day, you can beat anyone."

I predict another upset coming tonight as New Zealand need to be wary against Afghanistan

This tournament is bound to be special as after yesterday's upset, Today Canada have stunned Ireland.

Pakistan team must be shivering now

USA will have issues in NY, they are used to playing in Dallas area, MCL BD series etcc they aren’t prepared for NY pitch but seeing how Ireland performed today USA should try their best and win in florida

USA will have issues in NY, they are used to playing in Dallas area, MCL BD series etcc they aren’t prepared for NY pitch but seeing how Ireland performed today USA should try their best and win in florida
BD series was at a different venue I think. The pitches were slower etc. Don't know much about MLC but was that at this stadium itself?

BD series was at a different venue I think. The pitches were slower etc. Don't know much about MLC but was that at this stadium itself?
Sorry meant to say Texas Area.. BD was in Houston.. MLC all games are in one stadium.. atleast of last season and that was in same stadium as US and Pak

Its an obvious thing not a prediction :D
If Canada, the lowest ranked team in this Cup, is going to "obviously" win against Pakistan, then Pakistan should take the earliest flight home and should only make World Cups only after playing qualifiers against these teams. Makes no sense to automatically qualify anymore :facepalm

USA had all the right things going for them against Pakistan.
1. Won the toss, home ground, last ball full toss by Rauf, poor captaincy fieldset by Babar, Pakistan not used to USA pitches and haven't had practice matches here. Should have done tri series along with USA and Bangladesh before the wc.

Great feat nonetheless, you just need that perfect storm to pull of these kinds of upsets.

Defn, biggest upset of the tournament.

Bro what I and brother bunny rabbit meant was, that if this side beat India it would be the biggest upset. How? Well in T20 you don't need proper technique even a fluke win could occur here.
@The Bald Eagle can you please explain what that bunny said hit the nail? We couldnt win against USA … u think they can even beat CANADA? Let alone india..plz explain ur theory how ?

How much more embarrassment can we pakistani people take? Playing likes of Azam khan and babar…6 off 24 during power play?. I will sponsor them early flight off than embarrassing us and our culture…

Last edited by a moderator:
If Canada, the lowest ranked team in this Cup, is going to "obviously" win against Pakistan, then Pakistan should take the earliest flight home and should only make World Cups only after playing qualifiers against these teams. Makes no sense to automatically qualify anymore :facepalm
Canada isn't weak though? I don't get why people are assuming they are.

Ireland has no bowlers besides adair?

How much more embarrassment can we pakistani people take? Playing likes of elephant khan and babar…6 off 24 during power play?. I will sponsor them early flight off than embarrassing us and our culture…
Azam Khan fr is the Mark Henry of cricket. He had his hall of Pain moment in cpl, And when it came to the big leagues, aka where you think he'll be a goat, he's nothing more then a joke and is always getting humilated by the likes of brock lesnar.

In this scenario Azam Khan is Mark Henry and every international bowler he faces is Brock Lesnar.

Despicable that he's in the squad really.

Canada isn't weak though? I don't get why people are assuming they are.

Ireland has no bowlers besides adair?

Josh Little, Young, Delaney are not bowlers ?

Brother, by that logic, no team is weak and there are no upsets

Josh Little, Young, Delaney are not bowlers ?

Brother, by that logic, no team is weak and there are no upsets
They bowl at 110kph and give hit me balls? Azam Khan looks like a god damn Bradman when playing these guys.

Azam Khan fr is the Mark Henry of cricket. He had his hall of Pain moment in cpl, And when it came to the big leagues, aka where you think he'll be a goat, he's nothing more then a joke and is always getting humilated by the likes of brock lesnar.

In this scenario Azam Khan is Mark Henry and every international bowler he faces is Brock Lesnar.

Despicable that he's in the squad really.
Mark Henry would take offense to that. He was obese and all, but he was good at his job atleast. Azam simply isn't.

Bro what I and brother bunny rabbit meant was, that if this side beat India it would be the biggest upset. How? Well in T20 you don't need proper technique even a fluke win could occur here.
That's why i said it would be mother of all upsets if it ends up happening.

Mark Henry would take offense to that. He was obese and all, but he was good at his job atleast. Azam simply isn't.
Well I meant more from storyline perspective. Mark Henry is a great seller obviously. But he was done dirty by Wwe. The dude should have gotten a proper run rather then be discarded to B tier.

At the end of the day, Mark Henry was relagated to being a brock lesnar spite match bunny. And that's kinda what azam khan is against any spinner with his iconic average of 1.

Afghanistan has beaten New Zealand by 85 runs. Considering it as an upset as well?

I guess it was not TBH. Afghanistan has been playing good cricket for a long time now. But still, beating Kiwi side in World Cup is a big thing.

It should count as an upset if teams which give more priority to Test cricket and least priority to IT20, defeat teams which have adopted T20 as their most prioritised form of cricket.

It's about time the cricket world respects Pakistan and declare it an upset if Aus, Eng, SA or Ind defeat Pak in a T20 match. :inti

Well I meant more from storyline perspective. Mark Henry is a great seller obviously. But he was done dirty by Wwe. The dude should have gotten a proper run rather then be discarded to B tier.

At the end of the day, Mark Henry was relagated to being a brock lesnar spite match bunny. And that's kinda what azam khan is against any spinner with his iconic average of 1.
He did get a run near the top. He was simply selfless enough to refuse beating cena.
Azam, I am pretty sure, is simply not good enough for the job and is a product of nepotism and privilege.
A more apt comparison would be Ryback who keeps making a fool out of himself to this very day.

He did get a run near the top. He was simply selfless enough to refuse beating cena.
Azam, I am pretty sure, is simply not good enough for the job and is a product of nepotism and privilege.
A more apt comparison would be Ryback who keeps making a fool out of himself to this very day.
Ik, Mark Henry is mostly vince mcmahon's fault He ruined so many stars. Sting didn't join forb20 years because he feared vince would ruin him and as soon as sting joined in 2014 he was right.

Sting had to go to aew to make sure he doesn't retire as a joke.

So you're right, Ryback and azam khan make more sense. But again Mark Henry was done dirty by Vince

Ik, Mark Henry is mostly vince mcmahon's fault He ruined so many stars. Sting didn't join forb20 years because he feared vince would ruin him and as soon as sting joined in 2014 he was right.

Sting had to go to aew to make sure he doesn't retire as a joke.

So you're right, Ryback and azam khan make more sense. But again Mark Henry was done dirty by Vince
Yes but Mark Henry found out the grass wasn't much greener in AEW either and has left it as well.

Azam if anything, is supported by the system and is given undue chances that he doesn't deserve. The sheer stubborness of him refusing to accept he needs to attain some sort of fitness is a damning indictment of it.

Afghanistan has beaten New Zealand by 85 runs. Considering it as an upset as well?

I guess it was not TBH. Afghanistan has been playing good cricket for a long time now. But still, beating Kiwi side in World Cup is a big thing.
NZ is the last team one would expect not to be switched on in ICC events. This wt20, as boring as it has been (the vibe just isn't there for me), is turning the reputations of some sides over their heads.

Yes but Mark Henry found out the grass wasn't much greener in AEW either and has left it as well.

Azam if anything, is supported by the system and is given undue chances that he doesn't deserve. The sheer stubborness of him refusing to accept he needs to attain some sort of fitness is a damning indictment of it.
Theirs an interview with azam khan where he said the words

" people say that to be a wicket keeper you need to be Atheletic, well I think I'm very Atheletic "

^^ And no he was not being sarcastic, He genuinely was serious and even showed a few clips about him taking catches and how he was a gun keeper.

NZ is the last team one would expect not to be switched on in ICC events. This wt20, as boring as it has been (the vibe just isn't there for me), is turning the reputations of some sides over their heads.
World cups are getting boring because their happening every god damn year now so the vigor is gone.

They feel more like series now.

Also it doesn't help that the wc group stages is taking place in USA where USA locals don't even know a world cup is happening cause they don't give a kahoot

India is a consistent bottler. We indians do not expect much from this senior citizen team. Pakistan is the most consistent inconsistent team. You can never rule out a loss and never rule out a victory from them. It's always anybody's game before play starts, and the outcome depends on the kinda Pakistan that turns up that day. Generally they start playing better after fans abuse them.

It will be the biggest upset of ICC T20 World Cup 2024, if USA win against India

So far, New Zealand not being able to win a single game is pretty amazing. Not gonna call it an upset though, both west indies and Afghanistan dominated them.

USA beating Pakistan is still an upset.

Back