Predict your semi-finalists for the ICC World Cup T20 2024

Why must Rizwan play if he is such a liability? He has a strike rate of 120 as an opener…in every competition he plays
It decreased to 114 in the recent series and 110 in psl.

This whole logic doesn't even make sense. According to posters, Rizwan must open as he's useless anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
It decreased to 114 in the recent series and 110 in psl.

This whole logic doesn't even make sense. According to posters, Rizwan must open as he's useless anywhere else.
Of course he just has to be in the side to somehow overtake Sarfaraz’s legacy. That’s the agenda behind his inclusion in the first place.

I am curious to see your world cup playing 11 for Pakistan?

Like what's your 11?

1) Babar (c)
2) Rizwan (Wk)

Who are the rest?

If Saim continues to fail:

Babar
Rizwan
Usman/Agha Salman
Fakhar
Shadab
Iftikhar
Imad
Shaheen
Usama/Abrar
Naseem
Amir/Haris

If Saim does well:

Saim
Rizwan
Babar
Fakhar
Shadab
Iftikhar
Imad
Shaheen
Usama/Abrar
Naseem
Amir/Haris

Still not convinced on number 7, but with Imad being guaranteed a spot in the team, he will definitely slot in at that position.

If Saim continues to fail:

Babar
Rizwan
Usman/Agha Salman
Fakhar
Shadab
Iftikhar
Imad
Shaheen
Usama/Abrar
Naseem
Amir/Haris

If Saim does well:

Saim
Rizwan
Babar
Fakhar
Shadab
Iftikhar
Imad
Shaheen
Usama/Abrar
Naseem
Amir/Haris

Still not convinced on number 7, but with Imad being guaranteed a spot in the team, he will definitely slot in at that position.
Shadab and chacha at 5 and 6 was a failure against a D string NZ. Their a horrible option to have.

Bro you can choose any playing 11, don't be restricted to kakul camp.

For me my playing 11 is

1) Haris
2) Fakhar
3) Babar/ Abdullah Shafiq
4) Tayyab Tahir
5) Imad Wasim
6) Salman Ali Agha (Make shift with tayyab at 4 if wickets fall early)
7) Shadab (His high sr gives him no 7)
8-11) Shaheen, Abrar, Amir, Abass/Wasim Jnr (On current form naseem doesn't make it in my 11)

Saud is backup opener with usman khan being backup keeper.

Azam Khan can be tried at 7 as well.

Shadab and chacha at 5 and 6 was a failure against a D string NZ. Their a horrible option to have.

Bro you can choose any playing 11, don't be restricted to kakul camp.

For me my playing 11 is

1) Haris
2) Fakhar
3) Babar/ Abdullah Shafiq
4) Tayyab Tahir
5) Imad Wasim
6) Salman Ali Agha (Make shift with tayyab at 4 if wickets fall early)
7) Shadab (His high sr gives him no 7)
8-11) Shaheen, Abrar, Amir, Abass/Wasim Jnr (On current form naseem doesn't make it in my 11)

Saud is backup opener with usman khan being backup keeper.

Azam Khan can be tried at 7 as well.

Tayyab Tahir is not international material, specially in T20 cricket. His strike-rate is much of the same, and the guy doesn't even get a proper gig in PSL. How on earth does he randomly make your T20 team I have no idea.

Abdullah Shafique has not had a good T20 career so far, and to be honest he will also be around the same strike-rate as Babar, with a much inferior skill-set.

Agha Salman at number 6 based on what exactly? He batted in the top order in the PSL.

Shadab and Imad can be inter-changed based on their form, and according to the match situation.

Tayyab Tahir is not international material, specially in T20 cricket. His strike-rate is much of the same, and the guy doesn't even get a proper gig in PSL. How on earth does he randomly make your T20 team I have no idea.

Abdullah Shafique has not had a good T20 career so far, and to be honest he will also be around the same strike-rate as Babar, with a much inferior skill-set.

Agha Salman at number 6 based on what exactly? He batted in the top order in the PSL.

Shadab and Imad can be inter-changed based on their form, and according to the match situation.
He had 42 avg and 152 sr in psl, on top of that he in emerging acc cup had the best performances despite that team including saim, Omair, Haris, shabzada farhan etc.

His sr was > Babar’s in psl and miles > Rizzu, in fact he hit 2 sixes in the first PP in one game while under Babar we never hit one in over 60 games.

Agha salman as Makeshift, he comes in at 4 if wickets fall early otherwise he sjpuldnt bat until 6/7.

Also if tayyab isn't international material, What qualifies chacha to be? Or heck what qualifies our current test captain to be?

He had 42 avg and 152 sr in psl, on top of that he in emerging acc cup had the best performances despite that team including saim, Omair, Haris, shabzada farhan etc.

His sr was > Babar’s in psl and miles > Rizzu, in fact he hit 2 sixes in the first PP in one game while under Babar we never hit one in over 60 games.

Agha salman as Makeshift, he comes in at 4 if wickets fall early otherwise he sjpuldnt bat until 6/7.

Also if tayyab isn't international material, What qualifies chacha to be? Or heck what qualifies our current test captain to be?
Chris Jordan had an average of 45 and a SR of 225, I'm sure you get my drift. If not, this point will not work out for you the way you want it to.

Babar's SR was only 9 points lower over 11 innings and a difference of 484 runs.

Australia, South Africa, England and India.

India has the best spinners in the world, there is no way they are not going to make to the semis. I would be very surprised if they don’t make it to the finals.

Australia's T20WC hinges entirely on the kind of pitches that will be on offer. On flat tracks, no one will be able to out-muscle them, but on pitches with some help they might get stuck with a one-dimensional batting line-up. Warner is extremely important for them, so is Mitch Marsh.

England and India look to be the second best, where I might give India an advantage because of a versatile bowling attack. Four spinners is good thinking in conditions where the ball will definitely spin or atleast grip. Bumrah is in great rhythm, and he alone can make a massive difference in the pace bowling department. Arshdeep, Siraj and Pandya are definite weak links which teams can target.

England have a powerhouse batting line-up, but as the 2023WC proved, they are susceptible to pressure and their bowling attack is not good enough to absorb the pressure that the batters might face.

South Africa on paper looks really good, but they have issues with temperament. Their capitulation against India in the semi-final really did not fit the bill for a side competing for the top spot. They have disintegrated under pressure before aswell, with the recent T20WC 2022 being the best example for a weak temperament.

New Zealand are steady yet too boring to really comment. They will be in contention as always.

Pakistan has glaring issues with their batting, which will definitely catch up to them in this tournament. Just like Australia, they are highly dependent on the kind of pitches that will be produced, as they come back into the game if the pitches offer just a bit of help to the bowlers. On flat wickets, Pakistan will be decimated and frankly will not even be in contention in this tournament.

West Indies are the dark horse as usual. They have a very good team, players who understand T20 cricket and played quite alright in Australia recently. Home team will always have a better understanding of the conditions, but remains to be seen how well West Indies utilize that knowledge. Can't really expect much, they are too volatile to predict.

Semi-finalists for me would be:

India
England
New Zealand
Australia/Pakistan (conditions dependent)
Great preview.

On WI - a good tournament is Super 8 qualification. Their group is tough with New Zealand and Afghanistan, and wouldn't rule out an upset from Papua New Guinea or Uganda given the unpredictability of T20 and WI's own inability to qualify for the main stage in 2022. Their main weaknesses:

1) Facing quality spin. They consume too many dots and play high risk release shots. Their guys don't really sweep or reverse sweep like other teams. Luckily, they play Afghanistan on the fastest and bounciest wicket in the Caribbean at St Lucia otherwise Afghanistan would be the favourites especially at a spin friendly ground like Guyana.

2) Death bowling. An example is their A team, which's close to full strength, who are touring Nepal currently (people can watch on YouTube). In the first match, a Nepalese batter called Rohit Paudel smashed them all over chasing 204. They were bowling length and on the pads with no plan whatsoever.

3) Inconsistent pacers. There's no middle ground with their pacers. Alzarri Joseph, Andre Russell, Matthew Forde, Oshane Thomas etc are either lethal or leak runs like sieves. Obed McCoy is returning from injury. They rely heavily on spinners Gudakesh Motie and Akeal Hosein to control RR.

The home team has also never won a T20 World Cup. It's the reverse of ODI World Cups where generally there's greater home domination. Obviously I'd love to be proven wrong (like I was for Brisbane) and they go all the way.

I'm sure about India and Australia. The other two spots are a bit tricky, I'll probably go with Pakistan and South Africa.

Great preview.

On WI - a good tournament is Super 8 qualification. Their group is tough with New Zealand and Afghanistan, and wouldn't rule out an upset from Papua New Guinea or Uganda given the unpredictability of T20 and WI's own inability to qualify for the main stage in 2022. Their main weaknesses:

1) Facing quality spin. They consume too many dots and play high risk release shots. Their guys don't really sweep or reverse sweep like other teams. Luckily, they play Afghanistan on the fastest and bounciest wicket in the Caribbean at St Lucia otherwise Afghanistan would be the favourites especially at a spin friendly ground like Guyana.

2) Death bowling. An example is their A team, which's close to full strength, who are touring Nepal currently (people can watch on YouTube). In the first match, a Nepalese batter called Rohit Paudel smashed them all over chasing 204. They were bowling length and on the pads with no plan whatsoever.

3) Inconsistent pacers. There's no middle ground with their pacers. Alzarri Joseph, Andre Russell, Matthew Forde, Oshane Thomas etc are either lethal or leak runs like sieves. Obed McCoy is returning from injury. They rely heavily on spinners Gudakesh Motie and Akeal Hosein to control RR.

The home team has also never won a T20 World Cup. It's the reverse of ODI World Cups where generally there's greater home domination. Obviously I'd love to be proven wrong (like I was for Brisbane) and they go all the way.
Didn't home domination in odi wcs only start from 2011

Pakistan will definitely make the semi finals with this 11
Rizwan
Usman
Babar
Fakhar
Iftikhar
Shadab
Imad
Abbas
Shaheen
Naseem
Abrar

Didn't home domination in odi wcs only start from 2011
Yep, more a recent trend. However in T20 the home team has only made the final once - Sri Lanka in 2012 (which they lost).

The other question is whether their fans will turn out in sufficient numbers. Crowds in WI have declined for 20 years so will there be much of a home crowd advantage ?

Yep, more a recent trend. However in T20 the home team has only made the final once - Sri Lanka in 2012 (which they lost).

The other question is whether their fans will turn out in sufficient numbers. Crowds in WI have declined for 20 years so will there be much of a home crowd advantage ?

I'm sure for the T20 WC they will turn out. They came out in large numbers for the CPL if I recall.

Pakistan will definitely make the semi finals with this 11
Rizwan
Usman
Babar
Fakhar
Iftikhar
Shadab
Imad
Abbas
Shaheen
Naseem
Abrar
So you are not going to play Amir? I guess he will be there and he should be if he is in the World Cup squad. Usman and riz opening is not going to work IMO.

Eng, Aus, Ind, SAf

NZ could be a dark horse but Williamson hobbles them.

Pakistan has little chance of making it to top 4. Full of mediocre statpadders and bowlers who have regressed.

So you are not going to play Amir? I guess he will be there and he should be if he is in the World Cup squad. Usman and riz opening is not going to work IMO.
Amir is finished he's clearly struggling to pick wickets and economy is much higher too.
Swing has disappeared. Now just runs in bowls fast off cutters.

Back