Presenting the "new look" national selection committees for Pakistan Cricket

Your views on the new National Selection Commitee set-up

• Total voters

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Wahab and Razzaq the well-known casualties but MoYo has somehow retained his place - wonder what the exact reasons are for that?

Please note that the Chairman for each committee is yet to be announced.

LdRoOs9.png

Last edited:
Nice to see Nadeem Khan in the role of high performance director.

Yar just make one and stick to it. Constantly changing committees and coaches regularly is a big issue too because there is never any stability. Every selector comes in with their own vision. Doesn't excuse the team's lack of performance but this lack of stability is a major barrier to consistent , sustained success.

They should atleast be given a clear direction that you will get time till this ICC tournament or test series where your performance will be judged.

I hope they stick with this one for some time. I'm okay with most of the names here.

This Bilal Afzal guy is a complete nepo hire. He's a politician that is connected to the chairman in some way.

It's strange that the PCB is dwelling on Mohammad Yousuf, who was also part of the politics against Younis Khan's captaincy.

I'm puzzled as to why the lower-level coaches aren't part of this. Do they not trust them?
to use a US example-
when players get drafted into the NFL, they get interviewed by teams, their coaches are asked about their abilities, their locker room presence, and how they fit into the locker room chemistry. This prevents factionalism and team splits like what Pakistan saw during the T20 World Cup.
If Pakistan included them, you could easily get a good feel for what players are capable of within the national setup.

I'm puzzled as to why the lower-level coaches aren't part of this. Do they not trust them?
to use a US example-
when players get drafted into the NFL, they get interviewed by teams, their coaches are asked about their abilities, their locker room presence, and how they fit into the locker room chemistry. This prevents factionalism and team splits like what Pakistan saw during the T20 World Cup.
If Pakistan included them, you could easily get a good feel for what players are capable of within the national setup.
They did something similar in 2019. There were six FC teams and each Head Coach sat on the selection committee. Misbah was both the national team coach and head selector at the time.

Was another short lived experiment.

LOI whole team is made of Rizbar and his friends to feed each other good company Deserving players even if brought into the side are side-lined by Rizbar. To break this dosti yaari friendship and teach them a lesson is to disband this unit of friendship team for which they should make Shan Masood captain of ODI side and Fakhar Zaman as T20 captain. Take Rizbar completely out of captaincy and selection committee.

Last edited by a moderator:
They did something similar in 2019. There were six FC teams and each Head Coach sat on the selection committee. Misbah was both the national team coach and head selector at the time.

They should have continued with that system imo.

LOI whole team is made of Rizbar and his friends to feed each other good company Deserving players even if brought into the side are side-lined by Rizbar. To break this dosti yaari friendship and teach them a lesson is to disband this unit of friendship team for which they should make Shan Masood captain of ODI side and Fakhar Zaman as T20 captain. Take Rizbar completely out of captaincy and selection committee.
Masood is part of that nexus. You just don’t know it yet.

Hopefully this selection committee will be allowed to work freely without any external pressure.

0GAU3kF.jpeg

wSNRtog.jpeg

It obviously didn't go long enough. Having the HCs involved in selection helps take the load off the chief selector. I do think that the national coach and head selector need to be separate roles.

PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi announces key decisions to revamp Pakistan Cricket

Gary Kirsten and Jason Gillespie join the selection committee as part of a comprehensive overhaul, introducing regular fitness tests, mandatory domestic cricket, one-year central contracts, NOCs for compliant players, and a zero-tolerance discipline policy to enhance team performance and accountability.

PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi announces key decisions to revamp Pakistan Cricket

Gary Kirsten and Jason Gillespie join the selection committee as part of a comprehensive overhaul, introducing regular fitness tests, mandatory domestic cricket, one-year central contracts, NOCs for compliant players, and a zero-tolerance discipline policy to enhance team performance and accountability.
Great,

Everything in the recent past now brushed under the carpet? Carry on where we left off against Ireland? Oh wait, we made two popular decisions by removing Wahab and Razzaq.

At this rate, why don’t you just do what the masses want?

Maybe bring in Ramiz Raja as Babar, Rizwan and Shaheen’s personal tour manager. Assign him this position within the PCB. You clearly want to operate your cricket in this direction only, so do all that is necessary for this direction to remain upright.

Great,

Everything in the recent past now brushed under the carpet? Carry on where we left off against Ireland? Oh wait, we made two popular decisions by removing Wahab and Razzaq.

The selection committee will decide the next captain, players and pool of players for the next central contract list.

The selection committee will decide the next captain, players and pool of players for the next central contract list.
Yeah I predict nothing’s gonna change

Tell me one guy in this selection committee who will man up and say Rizwan shouldn’t be Cat A?

They all look quite happy to make the payroll.

Not something I'd thought would be the case after a dismal showing.

Masood is part of that nexus. You just don’t know it yet.
Masood is the CM punk of the Nexus.

You think new leadership will bring change but all he'll do is put on the shirt and lead the same coward group.

To top it all off, Babar will form the core within the nexus causing more dhusmani 11

Masood is the CM punk of the Nexus.

You think new leadership will bring change but all he'll do is put on the shirt and lead the same coward group.

To top it all off, Babar will form the core within the nexus causing more dhusmani 11
We need Muhammad Harris or Fakhar Zaman to become the Batista of Evolution.

The wholesome group will think they are one of them, only to be given the thumbs down by Fakhar and powebomb Babar through a table!

The wholesome group will think they are one of them, only to be given the thumbs down by Fakhar and powebomb Babar through a table!
I agree with haris becoming captain.

I've maintained him being whiteball captain with saud being red ball for a long time.

However I'm telling everyone, Fakhar is not captaincy material. Misbah is an idiot, Fakhar should have remained pakistan's priemere all format opener till retirement and been given utmost confidence. He should have told after each failure that he isn't going anywhere because peak fakhar is the greatest WB player for pakistan period.

What kind of coach says to a player "No you suck, you ain't even close to rizwan, You go down the order or your dropped?"

But Fakhar isn't built for captaincy, I saw him captain in psl, he was god awful. His mentality is to end bowling careers and play for his team, Not lead a band of rejects.

If this was Australia it would be a different story because not only would every player back him and groom him, even batimeez cricketers like stark wouldn't bother causing drama on the field or say something bad about his captain. His aggression is never towards his team and country.

Bastista, Vendetta, Evolution…

Fancy words don’t bring about change. Babar & Riz is the best we got, just accept that.

Legends are created, not born from the sky.
Indeed. Created by their own hard work. Their performance speaks for themselves. Just by shouting someone’s name because they scored a 20 ball 40 is not how legends are made.

Indeed. Created by their own hard work. Their performance speaks for themselves. Just by shouting someone’s name because they scored a 20 ball 40 is not how legends are made.
Exactly hard work.

Is Babar doing hard work when he outright responds to his critics by saying he's a t20 anchorer and refuses to bat in tournaments > a SR of 110? If he doing hard work by hiding behind people in super overs?

Do you have any idea how bad of a look it is WHEN THE WORLDS BEST t20 openers according to ICC rankings don't come forward to help their country get over the line against USA of all teams?

Hard work isn't dropping people of the bat. Only player who deserves to be dropped atm is Saim Ayub for bottling all his chances.

If someone like fakhar smacked 114 and 180 against NZ prior to the cup, but suffered a lean patch, you back your X factor and help get him back in form since his peak > Any Pakistani players atm. You drop him and bring him back to save face against NZ nor do you have misbah tell him that he'll never be good enough to be an international t20 opener and just sucks.

Cause it is a fact. Did you not get enough trauma for being an ex-die-hard-fan of Azam Khan.
What nonsense are you spouting now?

Have you become immune to the crap of 110 sr in powerplays by our openers in 2 tournaments???

What nonsense are you spouting now?

Have you become immune to the crap of 110 sr in powerplays by our openers in 2 tournaments???
I think you are confused.

I agree that 110 SR is not good enough but at least Babar & Riz give you a return with an average which gives you a chance to win matches.

Garbage like Azam Khan, Asif Ali, Sharjeel Khan & Saim Ayub average less than 10 with the bat against decent bowlers and therefore their SR mean nothing.

I am sure there is a logic behind non-voting members, but I am not a fan of having a gazillion people in any sort of think tank. We will again be in chaos and confusion.
It's a perfect recipe for disaster. They are there to browbeat the voting selectors into picking whom they want, but when things go wrong, they won't have any accountability as they didn't technically vote.

Absolute mockery

I think you are confused.

I agree that 110 SR is not good enough but at least Babar & Riz give you a return with an average which gives you a chance to win matches.

Garbage like Azam Khan, Asif Ali, Sharjeel Khan & Saim Ayub average less than 10 with the bat against decent bowlers and therefore their SR mean nothing.

Fancy words don’t bring about change. Babar & Riz is the best we got,

Cause it is a fact.
Who’s confused? Me or you?

“The best we got, 110 sr is not good enough”

Who are you beefing with? People who have been calling this rubbish or are you beefing with yourself?

Babar and Rizwan give you an average…..

-We are ranked 7

-We lost to USA and were knocked out of the first round of the T20 World Cup

Aur kuch?

Who’s confused? Me or you?

“The best we got, 110 sr is not good enough”

Who are you beefing with? People who have been calling this rubbish or are you beefing with yourself?

Babar and Rizwan give you an average…..

-We are ranked 7

-We lost to USA and were knocked out of the first round of the T20 World Cup

Aur kuch?
There are 9 other players who were equally responsible for the losses. Why are you just stuck with the two guys

There are 9 other players who were equally responsible for the losses. Why are you just stuck with the two guys
Meri Marzi. I can stick it to who I want.

I will continue to stick it to them two only,

When Babar moves to number 3, I will only stick it to Rizwan.

They don't need a committee to select squads, 1 guys fine.

Just don't pick any previous selectors.

To be honest, it's hard to look past both of them. Like yes, there are many parties responsible for our performances. But Babar and Rizwan are the headaches with their selfishness and wanting the best for their own selves which is proving horrible for Pakistan.

T20 cricket now is not so much about average as it is impact. It used to be about average long ago when high averages used to be praised because in a format with 20 overs, averaging 40-50+ was an admired feat, especially in an era when 180-200 scores weren't common. Not anymore. Every team has realized it except Pakistan. In fact, even PSL teams have recognized it. But why has the national team not? Pak will never taste success with these two playing the way they are.

Their playing style is just one thing. Babar is responsible for much more as a captain.

just give the additional rights to kirsten and see the game!
Foreigners cannot be selectors to be frank and shouldn't be as well. I don't understand Kirsten or Gillespie being selectors. For someone to be a good selector they need to actually watch the domestic games. Team selection cannot be made by looking at the computer and stats. In all honesty, Gary or any foreign coach would just have to believe what is being told to them by others in the committee to select players which is never going to help. If a Foreign coach needs to be a selector, he needs to spend a lot of time in the country, watch a lot of games, get an idea about the players he is considering and then vote. Otherwise it has no meaning.

You don't need 7 8 guys to select a team. You need max 4 to 5 guys and give them all the authority and they should be questioned in the end in case they fail.

Asad Shafiq is still an active cricketer right?
WTH is he doing there as selector of women's team?

Need a foreigner as chief selector tbh
You mean independent
Foreigners cannot be selectors to be frank and shouldn't be as well. I don't understand Kirsten or Gillespie being selectors. For someone to be a good selector they need to actually watch the domestic games. Team selection cannot be made by looking at the computer and stats. In all honesty, Gary or any foreign coach would just have to believe what is being told to them by others in the committee to select players which is never going to help. If a Foreign coach needs to be a selector, he needs to spend a lot of time in the country, watch a lot of games, get an idea about the players he is considering and then vote. Otherwise it has no meaning.
This. Absolutely.

If India had foreign selector, Bumrah might have never seen the light of the day.

These foreigners are coming from a matured system but nevertheless rigid and hence they'd ail to see the nuances that other cultures might have.

Imagine watching Muralitharan bowling as a teen and not deciding to select him because of a supposed dodgy action ?

Or a Ranatunga never getting to play let alone lead SL to a famous WC win because he was unfit according to western standards?

Pakistan would do well to come out of this fixation for Gora validation on everything they do as if they are infallible. Instead learn from everyone and apply those to their system. Make a system people - agnostic eventually.

You mean independent

This. Absolutely.

If India had foreign selector, Bumrah might have never seen the light of the day.

These foreigners are coming from a matured system but nevertheless rigid and hence they'd ail to see the nuances that other cultures might have.

Imagine watching Muralitharan bowling as a teen and not deciding to select him because of a supposed dodgy action ?

Or a Ranatunga never getting to play let alone lead SL to a famous WC win because he was unfit according to western standards?

Pakistan would do well to come out of this fixation for Gora validation on everything they do as if they are infallible. Instead learn from everyone and apply those to their system. Make a system people - agnostic eventually.
Yes, these goras focus on the grassroots level. They don't fix the issue from the top, as happens in Pakistan in the name of big and small surgeries and in other Asian countries. Instead, they try to fix the roots so that the issue does not happen again. We cannot understand their way of working because we are too naive, like frogs in a well.

Yes, these goras focus on the grassroots level. They don't fix the issue from the top, as happens in Pakistan in the name of big and small surgeries and in other Asian countries. Instead, they try to fix the roots so that the issue does not happen again. We cannot understand their way of working because we are too naive, like frogs in a well.
Or take a leaf out of BCCI's Reforms in the last 2 decades. Yes the only sustainable way is to do things bottom upwards.

Running PCB like a government department won't help anyone. Make it independent and run by its own charter than a govt imposed one. De-politicize selections.

I welcome them.

I think Azam shouldn’t be near the squad again until he becomes fit. You can’t even give him a proper run as a batsman as he’s a liability in the field, keeper or not. So it just doesn’t work. We were a batsman short at the World Cup partly because of this. Saim has had too many chances now, time to rest him for a bit and get a call up later.

I hope they give Usman khan some chances at opening which he hasn’t had yet and been in and out of the team shuffled around. A proper run like Saim did. Though I have a feeling people have already written him off and he’ll be dropped from the squad. I think also probably time Saud and Salman Agha come into the t20 squads too.

You mean independent

I mean foreigner. I genuinely don't trust a Pakistani in a chief selector position. 99% of the time they'll come in with favors to pay off and tons of biases that cloud their judgement. We saw Misbah come in and immediately select Umar Akmal, Ahmed Shehzad, and Mohammad Irfan. Give me a foreigner who will select a team objectively and not have biases.

I do agree with your concerns that they'd need to be in Pakistan to do the job.

The carnival in full flow and the clowns are taking center stage. Why not make a Naqvi Chief Selector

I mean foreigner. I genuinely don't trust a Pakistani in a chief selector position. 99% of the time they'll come in with favors to pay off and tons of biases that cloud their judgement. We saw Misbah come in and immediately select Umar Akmal, Ahmed Shehzad, and Mohammad Irfan. Give me a foreigner who will select a team objectively and not have biases.

I do agree with your concerns that they'd need to be in Pakistan to do the job.
Yeah I get you but it is really sad that it's become so people centric in PCB. Telling of how much politicized it has become.

But the answer is and should not be foreign but rather a or a set of competent Pakistani ex cricketers without political leaning.

Easier said than done though.

Yeah I get you but it is really sad that it's become so people centric in PCB. Telling of how much politicized it has become.

But the answer is and should not be foreign but rather a or a set of competent Pakistani ex cricketers without political leaning.

Easier said than done though.

I honestly believe there's no such thing as that haha. Got to find someone outside of Pakistan

I honestly believe there's no such thing as that haha. Got to find someone outside of Pakistan
But won't that person be approved and appointed by the same set of politicians ? Why would any foreigner want to overrule his paymasters ? As an outsider he has no genuine interest in improving their cricket. When it comes to a conflict between his paymaster and his own wish, usually the foreigner has 2 choices only - leave or go along with the paymaster's choice.

It's not like PCB haven't tried with foreigner coaches and support staff and all before. They even had a Working From Home Director of Cricket lol - and did that.improve things even an iota?

Insanity is doing the same stupid thing again and again and hoping things will have a different outcome. Getting more foreign specialists is not going to help Pakistani cricket. The change has to happen right from the roots. The basic structure of pcb needs to change - it cannot remain a political arm of the government and need to be reconstituted as an independent trust like the BCCI.

But won't that person be approved and appointed by the same set of politicians ? Why would any foreigner want to overrule his paymasters ? As an outsider he has no genuine interest in improving their cricket. When it comes to a conflict between his paymaster and his own wish, usually the foreigner has 2 choices only - leave or go along with the paymaster's choice.

It's not like PCB haven't tried with foreigner coaches and support staff and all before. They even had a Working From Home Director of Cricket lol - and did that.improve things even an iota?

Insanity is doing the same stupid thing again and again and hoping things will have a different outcome. Getting more foreign specialists is not going to help Pakistani cricket. The change has to happen right from the roots. The basic structure of pcb needs to change - it cannot remain a political arm of the government and need to be reconstituted as an independent trust like the BCCI.
Yeah I agree with you there. Nothing will change until the systemic issues are resolved. A top down restructuring is needed and separation from government. Only then would a foreign appointment pay max dividends

Back