President's Cup 2024/25 (One-Day tournament) - Discussion Thread

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
President’s Cup to commence from 3 October

• Nine department cricket teams will take part in the 19-match tournament, which will be held in five cities from 3 to 16 October

• The PCB has set aside a total prize money of PKR7.75 million for the winner, runners-up and top performers of the tournament

Lahore, 1 October 2024:

The Nine departmental cricket teams will be in action in the 50-over President’s Cup commencing from 3 October across five cities. The two semi-finals will be played on 13 and 14 October, while the final of the tournament will be staged on 16 October.

All the matches will be day with the first ball expected to be bowled at 9.30am. The venues and start time for the semi-final and final will be announced in due course.

A prize pot of PKR7.75 million will be up for grabs as the winner of the tournament will bag PKR5 million while the runners-up will collect PKR2.5 million.

Higher Education Commission (HEC), Khan Research Laboratories (KRL), State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) and Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA) are placed in Group A, while Eshaal Associates, Ghani Glass, Oil and Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL), Pakistan Television (PTV) and Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) are part of Group B.

SNGPL, the winners of the previous edition of President’s Cup, will play their opening match of the tournament against Ghani Glass on 3 October at Saeed Sports City Bedian, Lahore. The Group A matches will take place in Abbottabad, Islamabad and Rawalpindi while the Group B matches are set to be staged in Faisalabad and Lahore.

Group A – HEC, KRL, SBP, WAPDA

Group B – Eshaal Associates, Ghani Glass, OGDCL, PTV, SNGPL

YgyVti8.jpeg

Good squads with lots of young players. Muhammad Huzaifa is a Karachi U16 captain and a pace bowling allrounder and opening batter and had insane batting and bowling stats last season both as a batter and bowler and was man of the match and man of the series and led his team to victory in U16 tournament.

Fawad Alam in SBP. Is he the same FA??? I thought he is done.

Notable omissions:
Haseebullah
Mubbassir Khan
Rizwan Mehmood
Mohammad Haris
Riazullah

Why...just had a 50 overs tournament
Because PDM government reinstated the old 2014 PCB constitution and setup alongside with it. Pakistan now has Domestic team tournaments, Department team tournaments as well as Premier "Champions" tournaments.

Notable omissions:
Haseebullah
Mubbassir Khan
Rizwan Mehmood
Mohammad Haris
Riazullah

Absolutely bananas Haseebullah and Mubasir aren't there.
Haseebullah has a 38 FC average in his early career. I am sorry but this is unacceptable he is not there. Pakistan WK position is generally very weak and just recently he was in the A tour playing vs Bangladesh. A player can go from that to not even making the domestic team where there is a whopping 9 teams and a bunch of random no name dudes.

I am guessing Mubasir is due to injuries because he didn't play towards the end of the List A tournament either.

For all the people always complaining player x is a T20 mercenary and doesn't play FC or develop their skills in FC. You have a player in Haris who is young and has even represented and played well at a WC stage and still, there is total disregard to develop him and work with him to enhance his skills at FC. Then he will sign to play in some T20 league and people will complain how players don't care about FC when they are not even being selected to play in it.

Abdul Wahid Banglazai is gonna play for both PTV and Eshaal Assosisates??? LOL at PCB

I can also see azhar ali's name. NICE

Absolutely bananas Haseebullah and Mubasir aren't there.
Haseebullah has a 38 FC average in his early career. I am sorry but this is unacceptable he is not there. Pakistan WK position is generally very weak and just recently he was in the A tour playing vs Bangladesh. A player can go from that to not even making the domestic team where there is a whopping 9 teams and a bunch of random no name dudes.

I am guessing Mubasir is due to injuries because he didn't play towards the end of the List A tournament either.

For all the people always complaining player x is a T20 mercenary and doesn't play FC or develop their skills in FC. You have a player in Haris who is young and has even represented and played well at a WC stage and still, there is total disregard to develop him and work with him to enhance his skills at FC. Then he will sign to play in some T20 league and people will complain how players don't care about FC when they are not even being selected to play in it.
this is a 50 over tournament not FC cricket... but yes Haris name should be there anyways..

This youngster has something about him. I hear he is an amazing player of short-pitched bowling
I love the way the youngun Rizwan plays the ball outside of 6th stump on his very first ball with the score at 10-2

True. Riz can never reach the heights of our guy Asif Ali.
Yeah you gotta win games in clutch moments, like the Afghanistan and New Zealand matches. Not predictably bottle job them 99.9% of the times

Yeah you gotta win games in clutch moments, like the Afghanistan and New Zealand matches. Not predictably bottle job them 99.9% of the times
Yeah it is all about scoring runs a handful of runs once in a blue moon.

Yeah it is all about scoring runs a handful of runs once in a blue moon.
It’s about scoring the right runs at the right time, not against Canada when Pakistan has had its worst ever World Cup campaign losing to USA.

How many runs Asif Ali is gonna score??? Can he make a come back???

Genuine question

Name one more match he won. Go on. I'm waiting.

You mean the match in which your hero Rizwan scored 70 off 50?
70 off 50 as an opener? and bottling it as usual? Asking someone else to get the job done having making it as difficult as he could for them?

Last edited by a moderator:
As opposed to you, who thinks Asif Ali isn't one of the worst players to ever play international cricket for Pakistan..
How can you be one of the worst to represent Pakistan having been the reason why Pakistan qualified for the semi final of the 2021 T20 world cup? what a dumb thing to say!

70 off 50 as an opener? and bottling it as usual? Asking someone else to get the job done having making it as difficult as he could for them?
Without Rizwan scoring 70 off 50, Pakistan might never have gotten to a winning position. And from what I recall, it was Nawaz who won that match, not Asif Ali.

How can you be one of the worst to represent Pakistan having been the reason why Pakistan qualified for the semi final of the 2021 T20 world cup? what a dumb thing to say!
Because two fluke performances can't make up for the mountain of failures and tailender-like batting numbers.

Without Rizwan scoring 70 off 50, Pakistan might never have gotten to a winning position. And from what I recall, it was Nawaz who won that match, not Asif Ali.
You asked me to list one more match as if you are HHH demanding one more match from the Underaker. I did!

Because two fluke performances can't make up for the mountain of failures and tailender-like batting numbers.
yeah of course its fluke performances by players that you guys cannot appreciate.

You asked me to list one more match as if you are HHH demanding one more match from the Underaker. I did!
You didn't provide a match that Asif Ali won us. Nawaz won that match with his all-round performance

yeah of course its fluke performances by players that you guys cannot appreciate.
I would appreciate the fluke performances if it led to us actually winning anything. Despite being rubbish, Asif Ali would be a cult-hero today if he played a part in PAK winning the WC. Instead he's just a tailender we convinced ourselves was a powerhitter.

You didn't provide a match that Asif Ali won us. Nawaz won that match with his all-round performance
First you say Rizwan won that game for Pakistan and then you say Nawaz did. First do surgery of your own confusion in reading a cricket match. You guys fail to understand cricket. This has been my argument for years now. Its always proven to be true.

Surgery is needed for confused cricket fans of Pakistan as well.

I would appreciate the fluke performances if it led to us actually winning anything. Despite being rubbish, Asif Ali would be a cult-hero today if he played a part in PAK winning the WC. Instead he's just a tailender we convinced ourselves was a powerhitter.
And who is your power-hitter? Iftikhar?? Rizwan?????

First you say Rizwan won that game for Pakistan and then you say Nawaz did. First do surgery of your own confusion in reading a cricket match. You guys fail to understand cricket. This has been my argument for years now. Its always proven to be true.

Surgery is needed for confused cricket fans of Pakistan as well.
I never said Rizwan won that game for Pakistan.

And who is your power-hitter? Iftikhar?? Rizwan?????
Mate, I would take my pet dog's power-hitting ability over someone who has crossed 30 a grand total of three times in 51 T20I innings.

You guys need to calm down and stay on topic. No personal remarks now.

It’s about scoring the right runs at the right time, not against Canada when Pakistan has had its worst ever World Cup campaign losing to USA.
I am agreeing with you here, not sure why are we arguing!?

President's Cup 2024-25 first-round toss update:

KRL v WAPDA: WAPDA win the toss and decide to field first at Abbottabad Cricket Stadium, Abbottabad

HEC v SBP: SBP win the toss and decide to field first at Diamond Club Cricket Ground, Islamabad

PTV v OGDCL: PTV win the toss and elect to bat first at Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad

SNGPL v GG: Ghani Glass win the toss and decide to field first at Saeed Sports City Bedian, Lahore

The President's Cup 2024 (50-overs tournament) is currently underway, but the PCB is not broadcasting it live. It's shameful that no media outlet has shown interest in broadcasting the tournament, despite featuring some elite players.

The President's Cup 2024 (50-overs tournament) is currently underway, but the PCB is not broadcasting it live. It's shameful that no media outlet has shown interest in broadcasting the tournament, despite featuring some elite players.
never mind broadcast you would think live scoring or scorecards will be somewhere i cant see anything anywhere

President's Cup 2024-25 first-round update:

State Bank of Pakistan beat Higher Education Commission by 9 wickets.

Higher Education Commission: 111 all out (38 ov)
State Bank of Pakistan: 113-1 (11.5 ov)

1727957380879.png

1727957398079.png

Water and Power Development Authority beat Khan Research Laboratories by 8 wickets.

Khan Research Laboratories: 238 all out (50 ov)
Water and Power Development Authority: 239-2 (38.5 ov)

1727958480565.png

1727958493658.png

Ghani Glass beat Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited by 19 runs (DLS method).

Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited: 306-8 (50 ov)
Ghani Glass: 273-3 (45 ov)

1727961300096.png

1727961319940.png

Pakistan Television beat Oil and Gas Development Company Limited by 31 runs (DLS method).

Pakistan Television: 320-8 (50 ov)
Oil and Gas Development Company Limited: 250-7 (45 ov)

1727961807463.png

1727961823088.png

President's Cup 2024-25 second-round toss update:

WAPDA win the toss and decided to field first at Abbottabad Cricket Stadium, Abbottabad

SNGPL win the toss and decided to field first against Eshaal Associates at Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad

OGDCL win the toss and decided to field first at Saeed Sports City Bedian, Lahore

The match between Khan Research Laboratories and State Bank of Pakistan has been canceled at Diamond Club Cricket Ground, Islamabad

President's Cup 2024-25 second-round update:

Water and Power Development Authority beat Higher Education Commission by 30 runs (DLS method).

Higher Education Commission: 312-4 (50 ov)
Water and Power Development Authority: 246-4 (38 ov)

1728135636900.png

1728135651780.png

Match tied between Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited and Eshaal Associates.

Eshaal Associates: 351 all out (48.4 ov)
Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited: 351 all out (47.5 ov)

1728135687627.png

1728135716398.png

This seems like a wild match. Ended in a tie. Usman with a doubt century and looks like Abbas Afraid played quite an innings to help chase down the total. Nice to see that type of innings from him. Pakistan are in a desperate for a proper pace allrounder.

Usman Khan scoring 200 and Abbas scoring 100+. :ROFLMAO:

Oil and Gas Development Company Limited beat Ghani Glass by 2 wickets.

Ghani Glass: 252-9 (50 ov)
Oil and Gas Development Company Limited: 254-8 (49.2 ov)

1728137710102.png

1728137724114.png

I am hearing mohamamed faizan got another 5fer today his second of tournament and opened innings made 85 not out surely surely pace allrounder in white ball is a possibility

Yep. Apparently the department that selected him have had to break some of their selection rules and traditions to pick him.
As is tradition, nothing will change.

Pakistan cricket is dead for the next? How old is Misbah's son 🤣🤣.

If Kirsten puts the foot down and builds a proper team now….you can expect this Parchi to move in and destroy all of that hard work
Well we have had

Misbah the 1st
Rizwan the 2nd
Chacha the 3rd
And now Misbah Jnr the 4th?

4 generations lol

Eshaal Associates’ Usman Khan scored a double century in a tied second-round match against Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) of the President’s Cup at the Iqbal Stadium in Faisalabad on Saturday

Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA) defeated Higher Education Commission (HEC) by 30 runs on DLS to clinch their second win in the tournament, while Oil and Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) defeated Ghani Glass by two wickets.

Group A

At the Abbottabad Cricket Stadium, after being put into bat, HEC scored 312 for four in 50 overs on the back of an unbeaten century by Obaid Shahid (126 not out, 122b, 13x4s, 2x6s). Obaid and Mohammad Ali Taj (74, 94b, 9x4s, 1x6) added 88 runs for the second wicket and then Obaid and Mohammad Junaid (56 not out, 33b, 5x4s, 3x6s) knitted an unbroken 129-run partnership for the fifth wicket.

For WAPDA, Ali Raza bagged two wickets for 46 while Mohammad Zeeshan and Khalid Usman picked up a wicket each.

In return, WAPDA were 246 for four in 38 overs, when bad light stopped play and the game didn’t resume. Opening batter Muhammad Akhlaq (116, 101b, 11x4s, 4x6s) top-scored for the winning side and stitched a 142-run partnership for the first wicket with Mohammad Arif (41, 51b, 3x4s, 1x6).

The second game of the Group A between Khan Research Laboratories (KRL) and State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) at the Shoaib Akhtar Cricket Stadium in Rawalpindi couldn’t take place due to unavoidable circumstances. The match will take place again at some stage of the tournament, with the date to be announced in due course.

Group B

At the Iqbal Stadium in Faisalabad, SNGPL and Eshaal Associates played out a tied game. After being asked to bat first, Eshaal Associates scored a mammoth 351 all out in 48.4 overs.

Wicketkeeper-batter Usman Khan, coming to bat at number four scored his maiden List-A double century. He scored 201 off 132 balls before retiring out. The right-handed batter hit 16 fours and 13 towering sixes. He added 122 runs for the fourth wicket with captain Haider Ali (41, 55b, 2x6s). Afaq Ahmed coming to bat at number seven scored a quick-fire 68 off 36 balls, smashing four fours and six maximums.

SNGPL’s Mohammad Ali was the pick of the bowlers, clinching five wickets for 45 in 9.4 overs. Qasim Akram took two wickets.

In reply, SNGPL lost half of their side for 135 runs on the board. Mohammad Abbas Afridi, batting at number eight, rescued his side with a 67-ball 112. Abbas’ innings included 11 fours and seven sixes. He was well-supported by Arafat Minhas (59, 54b, 8x4s, 1x6), while Qasim (45, 49b, 4x4s, 1x6), Abdul Samad (40, 42b, 2x4s, 1x6) and Kamran Ghulam (39, 45b, 2x4s, 2x6s) also chipped in with the bat.

SNGPL needed 41 runs to win with their last pair Abbas and Shahnawaz Dahani at the crease, with the duo managing to score 40 runs before Abbas got leg-before-wicket to Mohammad Sudais in the 48th over.

For Eshaal Associates, Asad Raza was the most successful bowler, taking three wickets, while Zaman Khan bagged two wickets.

In the other Group B match, OGDCL defeated Ghani Glass by two wickets at the Saeed Sports City Bedian in Lahore. After being put into bat first, Ghani Glass scored 252 for nine in 50 overs with skipper Shadab Khan top-scoring with a 73-ball 81, laced with five fours and four sixes. Sameen Gul scored an unbeaten 32 off 30 balls, which included two fours and a six.

OGDCL’s Mohammad Sarwar Afridi grabbed two wickets for 36 in 10 overs.

In turn, half-centuries by Raja Hamza Waheed (73, 93b, 8x4s, 3x6s) and captain Adil Amin (57, 58b, 7x4s, 1x6) guided OGDCL to a two-wicket win over Ghani Glass. For the losing side, Sameen grabbed three wickets, while Ali Husnain and Saeed Ali bagged two wickets apiece.

The third-round matches of the President’s Cup will take place on 7 October.

Scores in brief:

Group A

WAPDA beat HEC by 30 runs on DLS

HEC 312-4, 50 overs (Obaid Shahid 126 not out, Mohammad Ali Taj 74, Mohammad Junaid 56 not out; Ali Raza 2-46)

WAPDA 246-4, 38 overs (Muhammad Akhlaq 116, Mohammad Arif 41)

Group B

Match tied between SNGPL and Eshaal Associates at the Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad

Eshaal Associates 351 all out, 48.4 overs (Usman Khan 201 retired out, Afaq Ahmed 68, Haider Ali 41; Mohammad Ali 5-45, Qasim Akram 2-32)

SNGPL 351 all out, 47.5 overs (Mohammad Abbas Afridi 112, Arafat Minhas 59, Qasim Akram 45, Abdul Samad 40, Kamran Ghulam 39; Asad Raza 3-70)

OGDCL beat Ghani Glass by two wickets at the Saeed Sports City Bedian, Lahore

Ghani Glass 252-9, 50 overs (Shadab Khan 81, Sameen Gul 32 not out; Mohmmad Sarwar Afridi 2-36)

OGDCL 254-8, 49.2 overs (Raja Hamza Waheed 73, Adil Amin 57; Sameen Gul 3-40, Ali Husnain 2-31, Saeed Ali 2-55)

Good to see some younger players being picked & performing. Pakistan must expand their talent pool.

They must keep an eye on long term talent.

Back