PTA phone registration and heavy taxes

shaaik

First Class Star
Runs
PTA will block all illegal and unregistered phones after October 20

Millions of illegal mobile handsets are at the risk of being blocked by Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) after October 20 as part of a massive drive against fake IMEIs throughout the country.

According to the PTA, illegal mobile handsets that don’t come with a valid IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number will be blocked after the expiry of the deadline.

In this regard, the telecom watchdog formally circulated an SMS recently, asking people to get their handsets verified and check if it possesses a valid IMEI number. Otherwise, it will be blocked after October 20.

It also directed users to check and match their IMEI numbers with data from PTA by sending an SMS on 8484.

Only ten days are left till the deadline.

Scope of DIRBS
The telecom regulator has implemented DIRBS (Device Identification Registration & Blocking System, which is a system designed to reduce the use of non-compliant devices.

This system aimed at blocking illegal handsets include those with no or duplicated IMEI numbers, smuggled and snatched mobile phone and other SIM-run devices.

According to the telecoms watchdog, millions of handsets, have been smuggled or not registered with the PTA. Reportedly handsets with duplicated IMEI numbers were smuggled or imported through grey channels. These handheld sets and other devices like tablets will be blocked by PTA after October 20.

At present, many handsets with duplicate IMEIs are available in the market, especially the low-cost, copy-cat versions of branded mobile phones. Those who bought these categories of phones might incur losses.

It is worthwhile to mention here that the telecom watchdog constituted a Type Approval system to reduce the availability of handsets with invalid or no IMEI numbers at the imports stage.

DIRBS Challenge
The public at large is not aware of the DIRBS campaign. Even though the procedure of getting your IMEI verified is simpler, however it might not work for people belonging to rural and far flung areas, given the low literacy rates there.

Even some senior citizens in cities might not get understand the procedure of IMEI verification until their relatives and friends guide them within the given period.

The telecom authority should consider sending SMS in English as well as in national and regional languages. It should also put advertisement on media and collaborate with operators and handset makers to drive an awareness campaign.

Benefits of DIRBS
DIRBS has been designed to enhance government revenue by allowing devices that have been imported through proper channels. DIRBS will not only monitor devices being brought into the country in the future, but will also check the installed base of devices currently active or being sold in the channel.

Furthermore, DIRBS shall facilitate importers of legitimate devices through legal import channels. In short, DIRBS and its successful implementation will benefit the entire mobile ecosystem in Pakistan.

This is not the first time that PTA has been working on blocking of illegal, smuggled and counterfeit phones/tablets based on IMEIs. In fact PTA made similar attempts previously at least thrice in 2008, 2010 and 2013, which proved unsuccessful as IMEI of phones can be changed easily.

Alongside of maintaining the list of IMEIs of illegal, smuggled and stolen phones under DIRBS, PTA will also have to shut down all those mobile shops that offer flashing of IMEIs of mobile phones.

Procedure to Check IMEI
From Device packaging/box
From Device (under battery)
By dialing *#06# USSD command
Procedure to Verify IMEI
Web Portal: http://dirbs.pta.gov.pk
SMS: Send IMEI to 8484 short code (10 Paisas plus tax).
You can read this post to know details about DIRBS and its procedures, and secure your phone against getting blocked.

https://propakistani.pk/2018/10/11/...gal-and-unregistered-phones-after-october-20/

This is a smart move. Most phones in Pakistan are actually smuggled, and hence, duty is not paid. This will be a decent source of income for the government.

But you could just change the imei of those mobiles. Both in mediatek and snapdragon processors, it is possible via low end programming. Its same as tracking an IP. Not reliable on the basis of imei alone.

But you could just change the imei of those mobiles. Both in mediatek and snapdragon processors, it is possible via low end programming. Its same as tracking an IP. Not reliable on the basis of imei alone.

Unless they dont copy imei of some super cheap phone, new imei is expected to be blocked by PTA. Its like creating a black list.

No more Meizu or Asus phones.

Taking mobile phones to Pakistan

Hi everyone

Tomorrow I am flying to Pakistan to get married.
Does someone know to new rule regarding taking your mobile phone to Pakistan and we wanted to give couple phones as a gift to my aunts is that posible now?

Thank you in a advance.

Hi everyone

Tomorrow I am flying to Pakistan to get married.
Does someone know to new rule regarding taking your mobile phone to Pakistan and we wanted to give couple phones as a gift to my aunts is that posible now?

Thank you in a advance.
Shadi mubarak in advance :)
[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION], so looking at the article most people will have to pay a duty of Rs 1,000- Rs 3,000. We spend more than that on a coffee eat out. Thats like £7-£18. Not an amount that will break the bank i guess.

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION], so looking at the article most people will have to pay a duty of Rs 1,000- Rs 3,000. We spend more than that on a coffee eat out. Thats like £7-£18. Not an amount that will break the bank i guess.

Yes. The important point that a lot of people are unaware of is that you are allowed to bring one new phone for free, and obviously not many people are going to bring more than one. Ultimately, it is hardly going to affect most people.

Thank you very much:)

Can someone please explain this as the article is not very clear on the second/third phone and taxes seem very high . Thanks.

Can someone please explain this as the article is not very clear on the second/third phone and taxes seem very high . Thanks.

- if you have used a phone in Pakistan before December 1, it has been registered automatically.

- if you are coming to Pakistan with only one new phone, you do not have to pay anything. However, you still have to register your phone. You can do it at the airport.

- if you are coming with multiple new phones, you have to pay tax on the more expensive device(s).

Yes the taxes are very high, but that is because you are not only paying customs duty, but also sales tax and income tax.

Tax breakdown:

Customs duty + sales tax + advance sales tax + income tax + mobile phone levy

The advanced sales tax is fixed at 3% regardless of the price of your phone.

The income tax depends on whether you are a filer or non-filer (6% for filer; 9% for non-filer).

If the sum of the price of your phone + the aforementioned taxes are less than PKR 10,000, you do not have to pay mobile phone levy.

However, if it is between PKR 10,000 - 40,000, the levy is PKR 1,000/phone.

For PKR 40,000 - 80,000, it is PKR 3,000/phone.

For PKR 80,000 and beyond, you have to pay PKR 5,000/phone.

- if you have used a phone in Pakistan before December 1, it has been registered automatically.

- if you are coming to Pakistan with only one new phone, you do not have to pay anything. However, you still have to register your phone. You can do it at the airport.

- if you are coming with multiple new phones, you have to pay tax on the more expensive device(s).

Yes the taxes are very high, but that is because you are not only paying customs duty, but also sales tax and income tax.

Tax breakdown:

Customs duty + sales tax + advance sales tax + income tax + mobile phone levy

The advanced sales tax is fixed at 3% regardless of the price of your phone.

The income tax depends on whether you are a filer or non-filer (6% for filer; 9% for non-filer).

If the sum of the price of your phone + the aforementioned taxes are less than PKR 10,000, you do not have to pay mobile phone levy.

However, if it is between PKR 10,000 - 40,000, the levy is PKR 1,000/phone.

For PKR 40,000 - 80,000, it is PKR 3,000/phone.

For PKR 80,000 and beyond, you have to pay PKR 5,000/phone.

Thank you for your detailed post brother; appreciate you taking time out.

What are the rules about bringing cell phone to Pakistan

If you are a non-resident Pakistani and visiting Pakistan then what are the rules for bringing cell phone with you? Here are the scenarios:

1. You are bringing 1 used cell phone with a foreign SIM. (your personal)
2. You are bringing 2 used cell phones with foreign SIMs (one is your personal and one is from your job).
3. You are bringing 1 used cell phone with a foreign SIM (your personal) and 1 new cell phone with no SIM (to give as a gift).
4. You are bringing 1 used cell phone with a foreign SIM (your personal) and 1 used cell phone with no SIM (to give as a gift).

Do you have to register them with government? Also do you have to pay taxes?

A person is allowed 1 personal phone duty free, and upto a maximum of 5 phone per year under their names. So First set is free, the others you have to pay tax on no matter what status you give to the phone (personal, business, gift, sale). They will jot down imei of the phones brought in, and they will only work if registered with the imei numbers and having paid the duty.

A person is allowed 1 personal phone duty free, and upto a maximum of 5 phone per year under their names. So First set is free, the others you have to pay tax on no matter what status you give to the phone (personal, business, gift, sale). They will jot down imei of the phones brought in, and they will only work if registered with the imei numbers and having paid the duty.

Thanks. Do you know how much is the duty/tax? Want to know if it would be cheaper to buy a new cell phone from Pakistan and give it as a gift instead of bringing a cell phone with you and pay duty/tax.

Thanks. Do you know how much is the duty/tax? Want to know if it would be cheaper to buy a new cell phone from Pakistan and give it as a gift instead of bringing a cell phone with you and pay duty/tax.

From what I have heard so far, its on the higher side and depends on which phone (value) you bring in. There were lots of complaints about the taxation and the process is lengthy as well and there is a lot of GREY on the whole process. Also, there are talks of reducing the tax amount plus other relaxations, but that's yet to be seen as to what materializes from it.

This whole thing has been done for 2 reasons.

1. Safety/terrorism: when a phone isnt registered you wont be able to use it. And every phone will be traced by imei with registration of nadra card. So even if you report ur mobile stolen it will be deactivated and become useless to the new holder. So theft, mobile snatching, terrorism usage will go down.

2. Ppl bring in phones and sell them or even if they gift them, it affects the market, and deprives the economy.

From what I have heard so far, its on the higher side and depends on which phone (value) you bring in. There were lots of complaints about the taxation and the process is lengthy as well and there is a lot of GREY on the whole process. Also, there are talks of reducing the tax amount plus other relaxations, but that's yet to be seen as to what materializes from it.

This whole thing has been done for 2 reasons.

1. Safety/terrorism: when a phone isnt registered you wont be able to use it. And every phone will be traced by imei with registration of nadra card. So even if you report ur mobile stolen it will be deactivated and become useless to the new holder. So theft, mobile snatching, terrorism usage will go down.

2. Ppl bring in phones and sell them or even if they gift them, it affects the market, and deprives the economy.

are there any web sites where I can check the prices of cell phones in Pakistan? looks like the best option is to buy cell phone from Pakistan and then give it as a gift

Can we use the term overseas Pakistani instead of "non-resident Pakistani"? Lets not try to copy Indians.

But it's just 2-3 mobiles for personal use. Not mass import.

Not sure why you need 3 personal mobile phones.

The new law of brining only one personal phone makes sense. There are people from the UK who take half a dozens phones and sell them in Pakistan. Usually these phones are stolen phones which are blocked in the UK but work overseas.

Just curious how this new tax system works? At what point will you be asked to pay tax? In all my travels customs have never checked my luggage when entering Pakistan so I really doubt they can stop people from bringing in multiple phones (not talking about people who bring large quantities to sell but normal people who might bring a few as gifts or for personal use).

Will you be asked to pay duty when registering the imei because otherwise I am not sure how they will implement this?

Not sure why you need 3 personal mobile phones.

The new law of brining only one personal phone makes sense. There are people from the UK who take half a dozens phones and sell them in Pakistan. Usually these phones are stolen phones which are blocked in the UK but work overseas.

Quite a few UK Taxi drivers will go bankrupt.
Most rely on an annual bonus by taking phones left in their cabs, switching them off immediately (to stop them being blocked) and then taking them to Pakistan to sell to the traders.
I know one who takes 30- 40 a year to Pakistan.

For now they have changed the rules.

Your phone will be automatically registered if its working on a local network till 15th Jan 2019.

After that the taxation policy will be implemented.

For now they have changed the rules.

Your phone will be automatically registered if its working on a local network till 15th Jan 2019.

After that the taxation policy will be implemented.

If people are that in to illegal activities, they can just take a non working mobile and change the imei of the new phone copying from the old one. Those imei are hard coded but you can change it if you know the protocol.

If people are that in to illegal activities, they can just take a non working mobile and change the imei of the new phone copying from the old one. Those imei are hard coded but you can change it if you know the protocol.

I am not sure how this works tbh,but what about the people who bring phones in a bulk amount from abroad and sell them here.
The amount of taxation on just one set is astounding.
This will lead lots of dealers to bankruptcy and not everybody knows the protocol or even if is aware can not sit and apply it 40-50 sets together.

my sister-in-law reached Pakistan yesterday but nobody ask her any question about the cell phones she was bringing with her :(

Two Chinese passengers on Friday found a unique way to register their protest against the customs duty they were made to pay for bringing in several cellphones: lying on the floor at the Islamabad International Airport.

The episode, which made for an interesting spectacle, took place after the two Chinese men – Lian Zhehfu and Lei Zhentao — landed in Islamabad from Urumqi via China Southern Airlines flight CZ6007.

After exiting the aircraft, the two men were stopped at a customs counter. Because they were carrying six cellphones, they were made to pay $285 in duties and taxes on four of the handsets.

As per the 'mobile tax policy' announced by the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf government, foreign visitors and travellers returning to Pakistan can bring in one handset duty-free; for any additional devices, they must pay the applicable taxes to avail service in the country beyond 30 days.

But after paying the amount, the two Chinese passengers lay on the exit gate of the international arrival lounge to protest the duty they were charged. They took the stance that because they travel to Pakistan several times a year, they should not have to pay the duty each time they bring in more than one cellphone.

The pair ended their protest only after Airport Security Force personnel informed them that their concerns would be forwarded to the relevant ministry.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1459720
01656dc76a3491a37e8792f22b61c82f.jpg

Last edited:
This mobile tax I will never understand.

The number should be atleast more than 2 per person.

I carry 2 mobiles all the time. One for office and other for personal.

But why the sad face, isnt that a good thing?
She cannot use a Pakistani sim in her cell phone because the cell phone is not registered. Now she has to go to some office to get it registered

I've a concern over this registering factor.

Let's say the authorities keep a database of the imeis which will be able to keep Pakistani sim.

But isn't it giving a way to sell imeis? Someone could steal a cheap phone and use that imei on an expansive one which was smuggled?

Even if that person isn't the one who is smuggling, he could sell the imeis on black market which will be gold for those mobile smugglers.

I don't think an average user will keep a track of his imei. Or even if it is carrier locked, you will just need to jail break it. Common people won't do it but if the issue with mobile smuggling is THAT high, why anyone won't be going for this extra few steps to continue that line of work?

Last edited:
Local prices are crazy, and customs duty is really high. Thus, you have to pay a fortune, specially if you want any flagships phone.

:29: Meanwhile:

Smartphones, laptops worth Rs8.4 million seized at Karachi airport

KARACHI: Customs authorities on Friday thwarted a bid to smuggle electronic gadgets worth Rs8.4 million into the country.

Acting on a tip-off, Deputy Collector Customs Touseef Gorchani intercepted three fliers who arrived at the Jinnah International Airport, Karachi from Dubai onboard a private airlines flight.

During a search of their luggage, 57 smartphones, including 46 iPhones, and two laptops were recovered.

The seized gadgets’ value was estimated at around Rs8.4 million, according to customs officials.

The passengers, identified as Muhammad Hussain, Siddiq Sikandar and Salahuddin were taken into custody and a probe into the matter was launched.

Earlier, on Sept 22, customs officials had seized four gold biscuits from a passenger at the Islamabad International Airport.

The gold worth millions of rupees was seized from the luggage of the flyer, identified as Muhammad Salman. The officials seized the gold biscuits but allowed the passenger to board a Dubai-bound flight.

https://arynews.tv/en/smartphones-laptop-seized-karachi-airport/

Guys i tried to register new phone in Pakistan with PTA. Once i was done i got the message that i need to pay 56000 rupees taxes. My phone worth 90000 rupees. Is it fair to pay that heavy amount? I do not mind paying taxes but it should be reasonable.

Any thoughts what should i do?

Why do you have to 'register' your phone in the first place?

Guys i tried to register new phone in Pakistan with PTA. Once i was done i got the message that i need to pay 56000 rupees taxes. My phone worth 90000 rupees. Is it fair to pay that heavy amount? I do not mind paying taxes but it should be reasonable.

Any thoughts what should i do?

It is not, but what can you do?

We have a joker government at the helm. Thankfully I bought my phone in December 2018, just before this nonsense was imposed.

It is not, but what can you do?

We have a joker government at the helm. Thankfully I bought my phone in December 2018, just before this nonsense was imposed.

This is really nonsense. The sales taxes in the entire world is below 10 percent however in pakistan it is 14%. the 14 percent would be close to 13000. I would not mind paying that. but 56000 is way too much. with that i can buy 2 OPPO new phone.

Why do you have to 'register' your phone in the first place?

That's the policy this government introduced. I heard due to all the illegal activities they wanted to do that but please for God sake do not charge that heavy amount taxes.
lately three of my cousins stopped bringing phones to Pakistan. People now hesitant to bring phones to pakistan due to taxes. he is simply stopping that trade.

That's the policy this government introduced. I heard due to all the illegal activities they wanted to do that but please for God sake do not charge that heavy amount taxes.
lately three of my cousins stopped bringing phones to Pakistan. People now hesitant to bring phones to pakistan due to taxes. he is simply stopping that trade.

1. Does it only apply to phones brought into Pakistan from overseas?

2. What happens if you don't register?

1. Does it only apply to phones brought into Pakistan from overseas?

2. What happens if you don't register?

They will block you. In any case it is same thing. If you register and do not pay taxes they will block you or if you do not register they will block you.

I suspect our Chinese masters might have to do something with it.

Huawei and Oppo, both Chinese brands, have become increasingly popular in Pakistan in recent years. They produce some excellent budget phones.

By imposing these taxes, the government is pretty much ensuring that the market for iPhone eventually dies and the two Chinese brands take over that segment to compete with Samsung.

I suspect our Chinese masters might have to do something with it.

Huawei and Oppo, both Chinese brands, have become increasingly popular in Pakistan in recent years. They produce some excellent budget phones.

By imposing these taxes, the government is pretty much ensuring that the market for iPhone eventually dies and the two Chinese brands take over that segment to compete with Samsung.

The one i have is Samsung S9. It is redicolus to charge too much taxes. Now they will force us to do something different than paying 5 to 10 thousand taxes

The one i have is Samsung S9. It is redicolus to charge too much taxes. Now they will force us to do something different than paying 5 to 10 thousand taxes

Top of the line Samsung and Apple phones fall in the same bracket. Huawei and Oppo have similar expensive phones as well, but Apple doesn’t do budget phones, so these taxes are effectively killing the Apple market in Pakistan.

This whole PTA thing is absolute garbage and another gift of the ******** regime.

And even if this were the reason there shouldn't be any reason to pay money at all.

A nominal amount like Rs. 25/- at max.

This whole PTA thing is absolute garbage and another gift of the ******** regime.

I do not know how this would help this government. I do not expect anyone to pay that heavy amount. The only logic i now understand as Mamoon said they might want to kill apple/samsung market.

Last edited:
And even if this were the reason there shouldn't be any reason to pay money at all.

A nominal amount like Rs. 25/- at max.

exactly plus sales taxes in Pakistan is heard is 14%. which would be almost 13000. I really can't see any logic behind it.

Some of the taxes are just dumb. On an old phone which you can get in the market for 30k, you might have to pay more tax than its actual value.

You can't do anything. Have to pay the taxes. This government imposed such heavy taxes to eliminate the buying of smart phones outside of Pakistan.

It happened with me unfortunately. I bought a phone valued 20K at that time and the tax imposed was 18K.

Last edited:
Top of the line Samsung and Apple phones fall in the same bracket. Huawei and Oppo have similar expensive phones as well, but Apple doesn’t do budget phones, so these taxes are effectively killing the Apple market in Pakistan.

https://propakistani.pk/2019/11/01/apple-announces-new-official-distributor-in-pakistan/

Not doing a very good job of killing the Apple market.

Anyway, I think those who could afford Apple products can probably afford to pay a little more for them. I doubt they will be switching to budget Oppo and Huawei products anytime soon.

For me, the bigger concern is that mid-range phones are now costing in the region of 1lakh which is ridiculous.

Last edited:
You can't do anything. Have to pay the taxes. This government imposed such heavy taxes to eliminate the buying of smart phones outside of Pakistan.

It happened with me unfortunately. I bought a phone valued 20K at that time and the tax imposed was 18K.

exactly you pay the same amount of taxes as your phone. that is nonsense. I really do not understand this concept.

Did you pay that amount?

Last edited:
https://propakistani.pk/2019/11/01/apple-announces-new-official-distributor-in-pakistan/

Not doing a very good job of killing the Apple market.

Anyway, I think those who could afford Apple products can probably afford to pay a little more for them. I doubt they will be switching to budget Oppo and Huawei products anytime soon.

For me, the bigger concern is that mid-range phones are now costing in the region of 1lakh which is ridiculous.

It will eventually happen though. The new iPhones are ridiculously expense now and the percentage of people who can afford is dropping.

It will eventually happen though. The new iPhones are ridiculously expense now and the percentage of people who can afford is dropping.

Then they will likely switch to Samsung's flagships as those are next in line in terms of affordability, and appeal in general.

Huawei's flagships aren't really a big seller in Pakistan (I think), while most of Oppo's offerings are mid-tier. Though Oppo's Realme brand has made significant gains with their budget options.

Then they will likely switch to Samsung's flagships as those are next in line in terms of affordability, and appeal in general.

Huawei's flagships aren't really a big seller in Pakistan (I think), while most of Oppo's offerings are mid-tier. Though Oppo's Realme brand has made significant gains with their budget options.

Samsung flagship costs 2 lac and 1.5 lac respectively. This is INSANE!

The samsung flagship before the Toppi drama regime costed around 85000 rupees.

Samsung flagship costs 2 lac and 1.5 lac respectively. This is INSANE!

The samsung flagship before the Toppi drama regime costed around 85000 rupees.

I am aware of that.

85k was probably before devaluation.

This was less about illegal activities and more about reducing the import of expensive phones among other luxury items that were unnecessarily increasing the import bill. And since a lot of the phones are 'imported' through informal channels they had to follow the same policy for all phones brought into Pakistan whether personal or for resale. Depending on which side of the debate you are on, it is either a step in the right direction or a superficial measure with minuscule impact on the import bill.

This was less about illegal activities and more about reducing the import of expensive phones among other luxury items that were unnecessarily increasing the import bill. And since a lot of the phones are 'imported' through informal channels they had to follow the same policy for all phones brought into Pakistan whether personal or for resale. Depending on which side of the debate you are on, it is either a step in the right direction or a superficial measure with minuscule impact on the import bill.

Everything else is fine. But the heavy taxes out of range.

Everything else is fine. But the heavy taxes out of range.

That is sort of the point. They want to discourage the import of top end luxury phones by making them out of the reach of most people and force them to shift to less expensive models.

Btw I dont know the latest tax rates but last I checked they had introduced flat tax rates where any phone over $500 had a tax of ~PKR36,000 so you might want to check the current rates again. 56,000 sounds a bit too much.

See this:
https://www.dawn.com/news/1488342

That is sort of the point. They want to discourage the import of top end luxury phones by making them out of the reach of most people and force them to shift to less expensive models.

Btw I dont know the latest tax rates but last I checked they had introduced flat tax rates where any phone over $500 had a tax of ~PKR36,000 so you might want to check the current rates again. 56,000 sounds a bit too much.

See this:
https://www.dawn.com/news/1488342

yes now they changed that. I registered my phone back in June and i received the message of 56000. Now someone just told me the tax now is 41000. Which i believe still alot of a phone.
Do you have any idea why they are discouraging?

yes now they changed that. I registered my phone back in June and i received the message of 56000. Now someone just told me the tax now is 41000. Which i believe still alot of a phone.
Do you have any idea why they are discouraging?

Apparently to reduce imports. I am no expert but mobile phones were among the top ten import items for Pakistan in 2017/18 with a value of over a billion dollars which is too much for a country that hardly exports anything.

Apparently to reduce imports. I am no expert but mobile phones were among the top ten import items for Pakistan in 2017/18 with a value of over a billion dollars which is too much for a country that hardly exports anything.

I am not expert either, neither i know about this anything. But i thing it is good for country the more phone will come people will buy more sims and data. those companies will pay more taxes the more they make money.
But again anyone with this knowledge can explain advantages or disadvantages.

Call it ransom, tax or what, but it exists (sadly), and people are paying it.

It will never kill iPhone market because those spending 1.5lacs would not mind paying 30-50k as taxes.

This will not reduce import because we do not make cellphones locally.

The most affected segment would be upper-mid range phones (S9, A70, OP7, Mate 20 etc) because phones within lower price-brackets are supposed to pay lesser text and these phones cross the 'expensive' mark in Pakistan hence add more tax.

Rise of dollar has made this situation worse. The phones I bought for 15k previous year are of 20k now.

Thankfully, the difference between lower-mid and upper mid (even high end) has gone narrow to the point where I won't recommend anyone spending much over phones unless one got enough to throw away heavy taxes.

Till last year the first phone was allowed to be registered and if that’s the case no issue

Till last year the first phone was allowed to be registered and if that’s the case no issue

Not anymore. Any phone that is brought in from overseas will be blocked after a certain period (2 months IIRC) if you don't pay duty on it.

Call it ransom, tax or what, but it exists (sadly), and people are paying it.

It will never kill iPhone market because those spending 1.5lacs would not mind paying 30-50k as taxes.

This will not reduce import because we do not make cellphones locally.

The most affected segment would be upper-mid range phones (S9, A70, OP7, Mate 20 etc) because phones within lower price-brackets are supposed to pay lesser text and these phones cross the 'expensive' mark in Pakistan hence add more tax.

Rise of dollar has made this situation worse. The phones I bought for 15k previous year are of 20k now.

Thankfully, the difference between lower-mid and upper mid (even high end) has gone narrow to the point where I won't recommend anyone spending much over phones unless one got enough to throw away heavy taxes.

Can you clarify? Isn't that exactly the reason this is supposed to reduce imports?

This is really nonsense. The sales taxes in the entire world is below 10 percent however in pakistan it is 14%. the 14 percent would be close to 13000. I would not mind paying that. but 56000 is way too much. with that i can buy 2 OPPO new phone.

When you say sales tax do you refer to VAT? In that case in most European countries VAT is around 20% and in Scandinavian countries 25 %.

So if you dont bring this phone from outside but buy it in a shop in pakistan, you dont pay this tax?

So if you dont bring this phone from outside but buy it in a shop in pakistan, you dont pay this tax?

Yes, but phones in Pakistan are already overpriced in comparison to how much you pay for them in many other countries. In most cases, buying locally will still be cheaper than bringing them from outside and paying duty on them, though.

Yes, but phones in Pakistan are already overpriced in comparison to how much you pay for them in many other countries. In most cases, buying locally will still be cheaper than bringing them from outside and paying duty on them, though.

So how much a s9 which the OP is talking about cost in Pakistan?

Back