Questions emerge after India's 2 Super Over win over Afghanistan in 3rd T20I

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
"It Wasn't Communicated": Afghanistan Coach's Sharp Take On Super Over Rules Confusion

A double Super Over in international cricket is unprecedented. As India and Afghanistan squared off in the one-over tie-breaker twice on Wednesday, there emerged big confusion over the rules that weren't explained in time. India skipper Rohit Sharma's decision to retire hurt (or retired out) before the conclusion of the first Super Over triggered a huge debate that even Afghanistan coach Johnathan Trott failed to understand. At the end of the match, Trott revealed that there was hardly any communication between the players and the officials as the second Super Over was required to be played.

Trott, speaking to the media at the end of the match, said that new rules were brought to attention as a double Super Over was never played before.

"I have no idea (whether Rohit retired hurt or out). Has there ever been two Super Overs? That's what I am trying to say. We keep setting these new rules. What I am trying to say is we kept testing the rules, we kept testing the guidelines," said Trott in the post-match press meet.

Trott even revealed that the fact that the same bowlers were prohibited from being used in the Super Overs was never communicated to his team properly.

Afghanistan wanted to use Azmatullah Omarzai again in the second Super Over he became ineligible, having bowled the first time.

"It was not communicated (the rule). We wanted Azmat to bowl the second over again, but Fareed (Ahmad) bowled a great over. But these things will be explained and done in writing in the future.

"If those are the rules, that's great. I just think we had a good game, and I don't think that (rules) should be the talking point," he asserted.

It also has to be noted that the Super Over rules have been in vogue since 2019. The officials aren't supposed to give reminders unless specifically asked.

NDTV

Do you reckon double super overs make sense?

Retired Hurt Or Retired Out? Rohit Sharma's Super Over Decision Triggers Debate

India captain Rohit Sharma produced the performance of a lifetime in the third T20I of the 3-match series against Afghanistan on Wednesday. Rohit's unbeaten knock of 121 runs laid the foundation of a thrilling clash that found its result after two Super Overs. While Rohit deservedly earned praise from fans on social media, a decision of his in the first Super Over did trigger a huge debate. With India needing 2 runs to win from the final ball of the first eliminator, Rohit decided to walk out, paving the way for Rinku Singh to replace him at the non-striker's end. But, it wasn't clarified whether he retired hurt or retired out.

Rohit then returned to the pitch for the second Super Over after Jaiswal failed to hit 2 runs off the final ball, as the scores were tied again. The question arose if Rohit was even eligible to come out to bat the next time.

According to ICC's playing conditions for men's T20Is, "[a]ny batsman dismissed in any previous Super Over shall be ineligible to bat in any subsequent Super Over."

The controversy arose as the umpires are yet to provide clarity on whether Rohit was retired hurt or retired out. If Rohit was 'retired hurt', he is considered as "retired not out" and is eligible to bat again. But, if he was 'retired out', he wasn't eligible to come out to bat for the second time.

Speaking at the post-match presentation ceremony, Rohit himself was overwhelmed having come out to bat three times in the match.

"I don't remember when was the last time this happened. I think I batted 3 times in one of the IPL games," he said.

"Creating the partnership was important and we (Rinku and I) kept talking to each other to not lose that intent in big games and it was a good game for us to be in, the pressure was there and was important to bat long and deep and not compromise on the intent we want to show." Afghanistan skipper Ibrahim Zadran was pleased with his team's effort on the night," he added.

NDTV

Seems as though Trott clearly wants to say that it was intentional on India’s part not to communicate any rules regarding the super over.

The Afghans would surely be confused having rarely been in the position before.

The levels India go to cheat to win knows no bounds.

wait if a player gets out he cant bat again?

If so than Rohit was clearly retired out

Just follow the rulebook and stop whining. If players, coaches, the dozens of analysts in any team don't know rules, they deserve harsh words.

Why is there a need for a Super Over in a bilateral T20?

The game should've been a tie.

Super Over should only be used during a knockout game.
More eyeballs, more money and ad breaks, more entertainment for fans.

Seems as though Trott clearly wants to say that it was intentional on India’s part not to communicate any rules regarding the super over.

And the level of crying on anything that India wins ‘knows no bounds’ too.

Is it India’s responsibility to communicate the rules??

If u feel ICC and BCCI jobs are same, then no point in arguing

Its like the teams fault to be well prepared on any situations like Dhonis prep on ‘bowl out’ during the first T20 world cup with Pakistan

I dont expect Indians to call a spade a spade.

But India clearly cheated, Rohit had retired out, he was not hurt. They wanted advantage as Rohit is fat and they wanted a runner

He said the same thing after loss against sl in Asia cup .If he does not know the rules , don't he have any proactiveness to get a rule book or person/statistician who knows it all .He should be more proactive for a coach.He was saying he doesn't have idea that who ever batsmen gets out /bowls can't participate in the next super over.Honestly he should get a help quickly to fix this small mistakes but glaring ones.

How did javed miandad stop getting lbw in pakistani soil, but lose this ability as soon as he travelled abroad

Why is there a need for a Super Over in a bilateral T20?

The game should've been a tie.

Super Over should only be used during a knockout game.
That is the rule Only in certain scenarios super overs won't be used

SUPER OVER UNABLE TO BE COMPLETED

Where the Super Over or subsequent Super Overs are abandoned for anyreason prior to completion then the match shall be declared a tie and pointsallocated as in Clause 16.11.1.

26 In circumstances where there are unavoidable time constraints (for example,a requirement to switch off floodlights at a certain time) which do not allowthe completion of multiple Super Overs, the ICC Match Referee may limit thenumber of possible Super Overs and shall advise both captains accordinglyprior to the start of the first Super Over

I dont expect Indians to call a spade a spade.

But India clearly cheated, Rohit had retired out, he was not hurt. They wanted advantage as Rohit is fat and they wanted a runner
Can you show the ICC rule which proves he cheated. Don't run away.

I think the super over rule should be that the same bowler and opposition 3 batsmen cannot participate in the next super over if there is a tie.

Would make it more interesting
yes. They can do that. But unlike football it is extremely rare. Hence they probably didn't pay attention to that. But the downside is on Cricket some teams may have only 3 good players. If you use all of them it will become a farce in the 2nd super over when they are up against side with slightly better depth.

I think the super over rule should be that the same bowler and opposition 3 batsmen cannot participate in the next super over if there is a tie.

Yes like penalties in football?

Its pathetic that Rohit and Team India cheated just to get a win over a small team like Afghanistan.

no wonder they cant win an ICC final.
Please quote the rule verbatim on which you are basing your interpretation.

1 super over should have been enough for the game to have been declared as a tie.
2nd superover should only be used in knockouts.

1 super over should have been enough for the game to have been declared as a tie.
Why not? It definitely gave an opportunity for Afghanistan to beat India. They blew it. 11 runs at chinnaswamy should have been a walk in the park.

na, result is needed, why keep it to one super over?

But teams should not be going around and cheating, especially the teams captain against minnow

Why not? It definitely gave an opportunity for Afghanistan to beat India. They blew it. 11 runs at chinnaswamy should have been a walk in the park.
afghanistan didnt blew it. the guy who got out in the first super over illegally came out to bat in the next super over and got runs and got away with cheating.

Like penalties. I like this

The same bowler cannot bowl the second Super Over

A bowler who has bowled the first Super Over, is not eligible to run in the second time around, which is why neither Azmatullah Omarzai, nor Mukesh Kumar were given the ball in the second Super Over. Both quicks had bowled out of their skins to concede 16 – the number may sound big but it was good enough in the context of a deciding over. With the match heading into another set of six deliveries, Afghanistan had to turn to Fareed Ahmed. After conceding a six and four, he did well to recover and limit India to 11. The 12-run target initially did not seem too big, but kudos to captain Rohit Sharma for executing a tactic out of the ordinary by turning to leg-spinner Ravi Bishnoi, who picked two wickets in three balls to lead India to a famous victory.

What's with the batting switch?

A team batting first has to bat second in the next go. Like the case with any Super Over, the same rule applies to the second as well. A team which batted second in the designated 20 overs, on tying the match, will have to bat first in the Super Over, the reason why Afghanistan batted first after matching India's 212/4 with 212/6 of their own. And since India batted second, it was no surprise to see them play the first innings of the second Super Over. To sum it up, when it comes to Super Overs, no side can bat first or chase in back-to-back innings.

Ok, so the bowler can't bowl, but the batter can bat?

Depends. As per the MCC laws, a batter who has been dismissed, in the first Super Over, cannot bat in the second. Before the Super Over stars, both teams finalise a list of batters they've opted for. If a batter is listed for the first Super Over but didn't bat or wasn't dismissed, he remains eligible to bat in the second Super Over. Similarly, if he/she is retired hurt, the player is within the rules to have another go.

afghanistan didnt blew it. the guy who got out in the first super over illegally came out to bat in the next super over and got runs and got away with cheating.
Dude. As far as batting choice go each super over is treated separately. You can get out and bat again.

Like penalties. I like this
Problem is if it goes to third super over :) You will 3 poor btasmen coming out to bat. Cricket has two different skill set. Not everyone is all rounder. Team that has depth will have advantage. For fair contest you should allow the best 3 to bat each time.

Did you watch the game?

I don't recall Rohit getting dismissed in the first super over. He wasn't given out.

A bowler who has bowled the first Super Over, is not eligible to run in the second time around, which is why neither Azmatullah Omarzai, nor Mukesh Kumar were given the ball in the second Super Over. Both quicks had bowled out of their skins to concede 16 – the number may sound big but it was good enough in the context of a deciding over. With the match heading into another set of six deliveries, Afghanistan had to turn to Fareed Ahmed. After conceding a six and four, he did well to recover and limit India to 11. The 12-run target initially did not seem too big, but kudos to captain Rohit Sharma for executing a tactic out of the ordinary by turning to leg-spinner Ravi Bishnoi, who picked two wickets in three balls to lead India to a famous victory.

A team batting first has to bat second in the next go. Like the case with any Super Over, the same rule applies to the second as well. A team which batted second in the designated 20 overs, on tying the match, will have to bat first in the Super Over, the reason why Afghanistan batted first after matching India's 212/4 with 212/6 of their own. And since India batted second, it was no surprise to see them play the first innings of the second Super Over. To sum it up, when it comes to Super Overs, no side can bat first or chase in back-to-back innings.

Depends. As per the MCC laws, a batter who has been dismissed, in the first Super Over, cannot bat in the second. Before the Super Over stars, both teams finalise a list of batters they've opted for. If a batter is listed for the first Super Over but didn't bat or wasn't dismissed, he remains eligible to bat in the second Super Over. Similarly, if he/she is retired hurt, the player is within the rules to have another go.

Rohit was not dismissed so not sure what's the confusion here.

Rohit was not dismissed so not sure what's the confusion here.
Confusion is a result of trying hard to come up with an argument against India. I honestly was rooting for Afghanistan. Wish they had won it. It is a dead rubber anyway. They missed their ace bowler Rashid khan. Still they gave INdia run for money.

also, the list of batters was not given by either side. India admitted that when they saw the two right handed batters come out, they went with Bishnoi.

The match officials were also clueless

Problem is if it goes to third super over :) You will 3 poor btasmen coming out to bat. Cricket has two different skill set. Not everyone is all rounder. Team that has depth will have advantage. For fair contest you should allow the best 3 to bat each time.
That will make it more fun. Moreover it's extremely rare to have 2 super overs. Let alone 3

Astonishing who has time for 2x Superovers , 24 extra deliveries that in a hopping bilateral. It should have declared a tie. As far as if someone wants madness to decide things then why not have bowl outs after superover

It's just that 2 super overs for a bilateral ODI/t20i doesn't feel right to me. 1 super over is enough. The stakes aren't that high to get a loss for either team after 2 full innings and 1 set of super overs. For knockouts, yes, the qualification depends or even the group matches where points are up for grabs

Since that mauling Cummins & Head gave them bcci has made cricket into wwe/bollywood. Bcci will make up the rules to give India win & keep there billions of fans happy

It's just that 2 super overs for a bilateral ODI/t20i doesn't feel right to me. 1 super over is enough. The stakes aren't that high to get a loss for either team after 2 full innings and 1 set of super overs. For knockouts, yes, the qualification depends or even the group matches where points are up for grabs
Afghanistan beating India is a historic moment for them regardless of the format. Yes. For them it is a confident booster.

I am with Afghanistan on this...Rohit should not have retired out just bcoz he is fat and unfit.

Also, the game won't have gone till super over had Rinku Singh being given out on DRS

I am with Afghanistan on this...Rohit should not have retired out just bcoz he is fat and unfit.

Also, the game won't have gone till super over had Rinku Singh being given out on DRS
It was basically self-admission that he was physically unfit. I still don't understand why Kohli was not promoted as he runs faster than Rinku or anyone for that matter.

Appreciate an Indian finally calling a spade a spade.

Something which is very rare around here

On Rohit Sharma Batting 2nd Time In Super Overs, Afghan Star's Blunt Response

The third T20I between India and Afghanistan was an absolute nail-biter that saw the hosts emerge triumphant after two Super Overs were bowled. With this being the first instance in an international match where two Super Overs were bowled, certain rules were 'overlooked' as India captain Rohit Sharma came out to bat in the second Super Over after being 'retired out/retired hurt' in the first. While no official complaints were made by any Afghanistan player during the match, Karim Janat has now said that Rohit shouldn't have been allowed to bat again.

With just one ball to go in the first Super Over, and India needing 2 runs to win, Rohit returned to the bench retired (out or hurt). But, after the Super Over ended in a tie, the India skipper came out to bat again, prompting a debate about whether he should've been allowed to or not.

"We didn't know much about that. Our management talked to the umpires. Rohit came out to bat, but we learned later that he shouldn't have been allowed to do that. Even if you were retired out, you can't come to bat again. We can't do much about it now because what's happened has happened. The captain and coach discussed about it later, but it was all between them," Janat told Hindustan Times.

As far as the rules are concerned, Rohit shouldn't have been allowed to come back if he was retired out, but was eligible to bat again, if he was retired hurt.

After the match, Afghanistan coach Jonathan Trott said that he had no idea about Rohit's situation.

"I have no idea (whether Rohit retired hurt or out). Has there ever been two Super Overs? That's what I am trying to say. We keep setting these new rules. What I am trying to say is we kept testing the rules, we kept testing the guidelines," Trott had said in the post-match press meet.
NDTV

Back