Ravi Shastri "they have been one of the greatest cricket teams in the history of the game"

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
India Coach Ravi Shastri post-match press conference

Q. First of all, congratulations on a great, great tenure. My first question is what is the best thing to happen in this Virat Kohli-Ravi Shastri era? It could be development or anything you wish to answer.

RAVI SHASTRI: Just the quality of cricket this team has played over the last five years across all formats. The performances are there for everyone to see. When you perform in that fashion where you go across the globe, across all formats and beat teams, then you know you're part of one great cricket team.

I'm not saying a great cricket team India, I'm saying they have been one of the greatest cricket teams in the history of the game. Because if you look at those kind of performances, they don't happen often. You've got to have a bunch of players who are fit, hungry, fearless, have the quality, have the belief, and then to stay fit so you can play those five years together and go across the globe and perform everywhere.

I mean, if you look at -- if you want the real highlights, nothing beats Australia. England, we're up in the series. It will be the longest time we'll be up in the series until next year. I might be commentating on that game for all you know, but I'll keep that one area. It feels good.

White ball, everywhere. You beat the West Indies in the West Indies. You beat Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka, good teams. All around, it's been fabulous. Yes, we are disappointed in the result in the first two games here.

Let's be honest, I'm not here to make any sort of excuses. We lacked the daring in the second game against New Zealand. I know the toss was important, and as you've seen in the last three games how important it is. And I do feel it will continue to be important though not as much now as the weather has cooled down a bit.

But still, it's something for the boys to learn. They'll get an opportunity again next year. It's not often you have World Cups in 12 months. So hopefully, they'll go and kick some butt there.

Q. Hi, Coach. We've often heard this team say that they have each other's backs and often seen them stand up for each other in criticism. Is it something you saw organically develop in this outfit, or is it something you and Virat actively worked towards achieving?

RAVI SHASTRI: We actively worked towards it. We wanted trust in that dressing room. That's the only way you can get each other's back. We needed communication. We wanted no finger pointing at each other. We needed the word I to be thrown into the dustbin and the word we coming in. And we created a culture that had to be obeyed and followed.

With Virat leading the way, he's been one of the great ambassadors for the games, especially when you look at red ball cricket, the way he's embraced it. And it's allowed other players on the team to follow suit. You've got to give credit where it's due.

So it's a team culture, which was impressed upon the team to follow, and they followed it to the hilt. They played fearless cricket round the globe.

One thing I would say -- this is not an excuse, but this is a fact. When you're six months in a bubble, this team, there are a lot of players on this team who play all three formats of the game. In the last 24 months, they've been home for 25 days. I don't care who you are, if your name is Bradman, if you're in a bubble as well, your average will come down because you're human.

This is not something where you just put petrol on the back side and expect the guy to move on in overdrive. It doesn't happen that way. So I think it's tough times. That's why I say in life it's not what you accomplish, it's what you overcome. That's what this team has done. They've shown the drive to hang in there, no complaints.

But sooner or later, the bubble will burst. So you've got to be careful.

Q. You touched upon the bubble factor. Just taking that on, from a management perspective, did you try and reach out to the administration in order to possibly get some sort of a break for some of these guys ahead of the World Cup? Or is it impractical to expect a World Cup being prioritised to IPL? I understand the times --

RAVI SHASTRI: That's not my job, first of all. That is something the administrator, not just from India, it is the others around the globe who will also be looking at it before big tournaments to ensure that there is a little bit of gap so that the guys are made fresh and ready to play.

Q. And in the last five years, have you actively worked on or has it met with resistance wherein if a player actually wants a break, he can raise his hand and come back and have his place back?

RAVI SHASTRI: Absolutely. The communication has been free. We've managed players, especially with the training methods and everything. One thing, we were never short on communication. Everyone was free to speak. No one was treated as a junior. There were no seniors and juniors on this side. Everyone had the freedom to express himself.

I think it's been one heck of a journey for me personally. I know it's my last day in the dressing room. I just spoke to the boys. But I'd like to thank the BCCI for giving me this opportunity, believing that I could do the job, and I wish the coach coming after me all the luck.

I must thank in this also all the committees that were there in picking me as the coach. We've all tried on this team for some time in the series. I would like to thank all of them because they were all part of the journey. But one man I would like to give special mention to. His name is N. Srinivasan. He was the man who insisted I do this job in 2014. In fact, I didn't have the belief I could do this job. He seemed to have more belief in my ability than I had. I hope I haven't let him down.

If you're listening, I got the opportunity, and I did my work without any agenda.

Q. Do you agree that Indian cricket is a little too obsessed with work-ups and winning tests in England and Australia or from any ICC titles?

RAVI SHASTRI: I wouldn't know how to answer that. For me, everything is important. If you're playing a big tournament, a big series, you play to win. So it's not happened this time, but it will happen another time for this team. They're far too talented not to get something going or get something and a big trophy in the hands soon, just like they did if Australia twice. Up in England now, the way they played white ball cricket in bilateral series.

So somewhere down the line, things should go their way. The rub of the grain should go their way.

Q. Ravi, a word on Bharat Arun's contribution as bowling coach of this Indian team. What we have seen post-2018 since that tour of South Africa and the kind of bowling unit that this team has kind of gone on to put in place, arguably the best in the world. Finest probably one of the bowling attacks that India has seen. Your thoughts on that.

RAVI SHASTRI: I call him the guru of that department. Him and Sridhar have done an outstanding job. I'll come first to Bharat Arun. He's been in the coaching space for 20 years now, if not more. Not only that, but he's coached a lot of coaches. He's conducted a lot of courses. He's certified a lot of coaches. Then come to do this job.

That's the prime reason I picked him because I wanted to pick people from my stable, which is the NCL, and I happen to be the chairman there for some time. When a system was put in place, that's the time that guys like Sridhar and Arun came into the fore with Dav Whatmore.

His biggest class point is his ability to communicate with the bowlers. He will not change anyone's technique for the sake of it unless he has a solution, unless he explains to the guy why he should do it. For the sake of doing it, he won't.

He has instant professionalism in the unit by his communication skills to let them know that this is what we expect from a bowling team, not a bowling individual. That is not easy. So that is something specific that he did. He ensured that that happened.

Then I'll go to Sridhar, who I think is one of the best fielding coaches in the world. He's outstanding. All I had to tell him was I want this to be one of the best Indian fielding sides ever. That was my dictate to him, and I said in every match I want to see the bar raised. There was no messing around. It had to be done.

Similarly, with Arun, as far as professionalism came to bowling as a unit. It took time, but it happened. Hence the results.

Q. Are there any particular areas that you see India's T20 team needing to improve looking ahead to the next World Cup? And the next one, with Virat's decision to give up T20 captaincy, they'll have separate captains for separate formats, how do you see that panning out?

RAVI SHASTRI: I think it's not such a bad thing because of the bubble and because of the amount of cricket being played. The players need to be rotated around and given the space they need to spend some time with their families, see their parents. Like I said, when a guy doesn't go home for six months, he might have his family with him, but if he's got parents and other family and you don't get a chance to see them, it's not easy at all.

So I think it's not such a bad thing. I think in Rohit you've got a very capable guy. He's won so many IPLs. He's the vice captain of this side. He's waiting in the wings to take that job.

As far as the T20 team goes, I think we'll always have a strong team. We might not have won this World Cup, but I think going forward we'll continue to have a strong team because the IPL throws a lot of young players into the mix. Rahul will have his own ideas on how to take this team forward, and I see it still being a very good team.

Q. Looking at Hardik Pandya, how it panned out during this World Cup, do you see a space for a few more all-rounders so there's not much overdependence, preferably one guy like Hardik Pandya?

RAVI SHASTRI: I think it always helps when you have one or two players in the top order who can bowl. We've always had that in the past. Unfortunately, we don't have too many now. So that might be the way to go, to ensure that in the top six you have a couple of guys who can roll their arm over. Even if it's four overs between them, that will help.

Q. In the lead-up to the 2016 T20 World Cup, the Indian team played a lot of series together. They had a lot of time to get the team to play together in a lot of series. That's something that's not happened before this particular event. Do you think that has had an impact on the performances? They have played IPL, but it's not been together?

RAVI SHASTRI: The cricket itinerary is so packed that you can only do one thing at a time. At least they played some T20 cricket in the IPL. I just wish the gap was a little more. That's it.

Q. What is the one thing that you're going to miss going forward? And what is one thing that you think was missing during your tenure?

RAVI SHASTRI: I don't look at the missing parts. I look at the part -- there were ten missing parts when I took the job. Now there are only two or one. Someone else can fill it in the future. I'm happy with the nine I got. I would have been very disappointed if I had filled only two parts and eight were vacant.

Q. Coach, you have seen some great highs and lows as well in your career. But on an emotional quotient, how emotional is this particular day for you?

RAVI SHASTRI: Very emotional because I've been part of this team for seven years. They're a great side. I'm telling you, I don't say that too often. It's one of the great sides to have played cricket at the highest level in the history of the game, when you look all around. So let's not take anything away from that.

For me to be part of that journey with the boys and for the boys to respond and raise the bar in that fashion leaves you going from the dressing room emotional but a very proud man.

He's not wrong.

It's one of the best teams that I have seen play over the course of the last three decades.

A very good team, indeed but not one of the best. The best teams have been the West Indies of the 70s/80s, the Aussies of the 2000s, and maybe the Aussies before our time (the invincibles as they used to call them)

This Indian team is probably on the second tier with the Pakistan team of the 80s and 90s, the England team under Vaughan, South Africans under Cronje.

They've been outstanding but calling it one of the greatest in history is debatable. It all comes down to how you measure greatness, and for some, it might be winning global tournaments which India failed to do.

One of the greatest teams ever? Are you serious? The india team of the 00s and even early 2010s was far far better.

How do they compare with the great Aussies teams or the all-conquering West Indies teams?

How do they compare with the great Aussies teams or the all-conquering West Indies teams?

Here is my top 5 in order -

1) WI of the 80s
2) Aus of the early 1995-2007

daylight

3) SA of the late 2006-2013
4) England from 2009-2012
5) Current Indian Team

Maybe 4) and 5) are interchangeable.

1) WI of the 80s

daylight

5) Current Indian Team

Has any test team won a away test series in three country in spam of one year ?

For Australia - India, England and South Africa
For England - India , Australia and South Africa
For South Africa - India , Australia and England
For India - Australia , England and South Africa
For West Indies - Australia , England and India .

Anyone has stats ?

Not even close. Too many failures and near-misses for them to be considered ‘one of the greatest teams’. At best, they are comparable to South Africa of 2005-2013.

Greatest teams do not lose by the margin India lost twice to England and to not so great NZ.

Laughable statement Its one thing others saying it but here they are trying to blow their own trumpet

I’m sorry but that’s a joke of a statement.

They have been overall excellent in the Test format especially away from home and are very decent side in the shorter formats but they have fallen way short when it comes to winning trophies as they have stumbled in the latter stages since 2013.

No absolutely they are not the greatest team in the last few decades. They could have been if they had won at least few more ICC tournament but the fact is they didn’t.

One of the greatest ever teams relying on Afghan/Namibia/Scotland to help propel them to qualify for knockout stage, yep that sounds like it...NOT!

What they did at 2019 WC (to help disqualify Pak and then got kicked out the very next game) is another really bad blot on their record, not to forget the beatings they got in England last time or two!

He's not wrong.

It's one of the best teams that I have seen play over the course of the last three decades.

Fair comment.

We'd had a period after Oz fell away in late 2000s where for a decade there was no real clear definitive #1; at various times SA, England, India, Oz again looked very good but no-one was able to win consistently around the world.

Then India did. And did for a while, also being near unbeatable at home. It's maybe not the longest dominant era like WI or Oz but it is significant and they'll go down in the conversations about all time best teams.

Now it's back to probably India, England, NZ being best across all formats but arguable about who the best is (T20 WC to NZ might clinch it for them, given the WTC).

They beat Australia in Australia twice and England in England. But they had beaten England in England before. They lost badly to New Zealand. One can argue their period of dominance came when Cricket had badly declined in other countries.

One of the greatest teams ever? Are you serious? The india team of the 00s and even early 2010s was far far better.
Indian team of 00s? Consisting Venakatesh Prasad and Robin Singh? Lol. Man, we used to even lose to Zimbabwe in that time.

They beat Australia in Australia twice and England in England. But they had beaten England in England before. They lost badly to New Zealand. One can argue their period of dominance came when Cricket had badly declined in other countries.
That argument can be made even against 00s Aussies too as in their era, most of the teams were way weaker than them.

Has any test team won a away test series in three country in spam of one year ?

For Australia - India, England and South Africa
For England - India , Australia and South Africa
For South Africa - India , Australia and England
For India - Australia , England and South Africa
For West Indies - Australia , England and India .

Anyone has stats ?

Don't know the stats but such a comparison also comes down to touring schedules. The last decade has seen more cricket in a calendar year, especially for India, England, and Australia than the decades before.

Fair comment.

We'd had a period after Oz fell away in late 2000s where for a decade there was no real clear definitive #1; at various times SA, England, India, Oz again looked very good but no-one was able to win consistently around the world.

Then India did. And did for a while, also being near unbeatable at home. It's maybe not the longest dominant era like WI or Oz but it is significant and they'll go down in the conversations about all time best teams.

SA was able to win around the world for a period. SA team was far less dominant at home though.

Now, this Indian team surely is standout when it comes to performing outside the home in the last 5-6 years. If you notice all other teams pretty much have a similar W/L range when playing outside except India.

away_6.jpg

At home, nothing needs to be said. India has lost only 2 tests and won 22 tests in the same period.

India does not belong in discussion for the best team in history. Great WI and Aus team were simply much better, but this India team will belong in discussion for one of the best teams in history.

India has been a great team for past decade or so. However the greatest teams in history have been very balanced and much more dominant.

Windies had a great batting line-up with attacking batsmen, fantastic all-rounders and complete bowling attacks capable of blowing away any batting line-up.

The great Aussie side had the same qualities.

The Indian team had a great batting line-up - which they have always had - but lacked the bowling depth. They have had goodish bowlers but never a truly fearsome bowling attack.

Also they didn't have great all-rounders.

They fall short of a true ATG side. There have been only 2 in history.

What a delusional guy. India has not won a single ICC trophy since Shastri became coach. Possibly the worst Indian side since late 90s.

Greatest Asian Test team of all time but underachieved in LOIs. They have been considerably unlucky though.

Overall, a phenomenal team and Shastri should be very proud of his contribution.

Would love to see him back in the commentary box.

Undoubtedly a legendary test team.

Australia have been very strong team with as many as 7 world class players out of 11 and we beat them twice in their backyard. The fact that Shastri was able to replicate the 2018 performance again in 2020 in absence of Kohli the batsman and cricketer makes him one of the best ever test cricket coaches of all-time.

Yes. 3rd greatest Test team for me. Unfortunately choked in ICC tournaments otherwise I’d put them as second best ODI team

It's Test cricket that decides the legacy of cricket teams in history and in that respect, India have been one of the greatest sides in history. They're obviously below the great Windies and Australian sides, but they have the performances to compete with and better any other side in history. And they have a chance to better that if they tick the box in South Africa as well, after succeeding in Australia and England.

India has been a great team for past decade or so. However the greatest teams in history have been very balanced and much more dominant.

Windies had a great batting line-up with attacking batsmen, fantastic all-rounders and complete bowling attacks capable of blowing away any batting line-up.

The great Aussie side had the same qualities.

The Indian team had a great batting line-up - which they have always had - but lacked the bowling depth. They have had goodish bowlers but never a truly fearsome bowling attack.

Also they didn't have great all-rounders.

They fall short of a true ATG side. There have been only 2 in history.

What is the criteria to have a "fearsome attack"?

If it's about speed, McGrath & Gillespie were hardly quick. If it's about stats, India have had the best pace attack in the last few years.

Also the great West Indian side didn't have a great spinner, but they compensated with their specialist pacers.

I also don't remember the West Indian and Australian sides having great all rounders, most of their success was down to having the best specialist players.

Not sure how Shastri can say that with a straight face. A good team, yes. One of the greatest of all time? Not even close.

Much has been said about winning in Australia. Sorry but this is an Australia captained by none other than Tim Paine - a guy who wouldn’t have made it in the D team when Australia was in it’s prime. Winning in Australia now, whilst a very good achievement, is not the same as it would have been during the era of the great Australian team of the noughties.

Professing therefore that this Indian team is one of the greatest of all time because they won in Australia is, I’m afraid, illogical. I’m sure if the Indian team of the noughties, with Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulker, VVS, Kumble and Zaheer Khan would have also smashed this Aus team. The fact that they didn’t smash the great Aussie team of the noughties and this Indian team has smashed the rubbish Aus team of the 2020s doesn’t mean that this Indian team is somehow superior. It’s not.

Not sure how Shastri can say that with a straight face. A good team, yes. One of the greatest of all time? Not even close.

Much has been said about winning in Australia. Sorry but this is an Australia captained by none other than Tim Paine - a guy who wouldn’t have made it in the D team when Australia was in it’s prime. Winning in Australia now, whilst a very good achievement, is not the same as it would have been during the era of the great Australian team of the noughties.

Professing therefore that this Indian team is one of the greatest of all time because they won in Australia is, I’m afraid, illogical. I’m sure if the Indian team of the noughties, with Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulker, VVS, Kumble and Zaheer Khan would have also smashed this Aus team. The fact that they didn’t smash the great Aussie team of the noughties and this Indian team has smashed the rubbish Aus team of the 2020s doesn’t mean that this Indian team is somehow superior. It’s not.

You can only compete against the best of your time. This Indian side cannot time travel to the past and compete against the great Australian side.

Steve Smith is considered one of greatest ever batsmen to have played the game and it's also true the best bowlers played in the 90s, doesn't stop people from recognising Smith's greatness.

The Australian team of 2020 has two potential Test GOATs:-

Steven Smith
Pat Cummins

It was an excellent team and second best test team of this era. Winning in those backyard with a weakened team is a massive achievement and alongside that, they have consistently been ranked no.1 over a course of 5 years period.

An Indian coach getting carried away again as usual. Just some weeks back they were on about their current bowling attack being the GOAT. Delusional people are the Bharatis.

Good that Bharat Arun, and R Sridhar are leaving. They are not good enough at this level.

Time to push out Vikram Rathod also immediately.

I honestly don’t know why people rate this Indian team so highly. They have a good bowling attack but the batting is the weakest India has produced in forty years at least.

SA was able to win around the world for a period. SA team was far less dominant at home though.

Now, this Indian team surely is standout when it comes to performing outside the home in the last 5-6 years. If you notice all other teams pretty much have a similar W/L range when playing outside except India.

View attachment 112975

At home, nothing needs to be said. India has lost only 2 tests and won 22 tests in the same period.

India does not belong in discussion for the best team in history. Great WI and Aus team were simply much better, but this India team will belong in discussion for one of the best teams in history.

Yes I think we are actually mostly agreeing. Sure SA was a threat to any team for a while there- but teams like Oz could also beat them regularly at (SA's) home so not a real dominant #1.

As I said India didn't put together a long enough reign at the top to really push their case- but if you're having that discussion about the best 1-3 or 1-5 best teams of all time- then India get in the conversation.

Arguably the 4th best team in last 5 decades.

WI of 80s
Australia of 2000s
SA of 2006 to 2013
Present Indian team

WI of 80s
Australia of 2000s
SA of 2006 to 2013
Present Indian team

Why so modest? It has been the best team the last 50 years. Aish karo.

WI of 80s
Australia of 2000s
SA of 2006 to 2013
Present Indian team

I would say a little better than SA of 2006 to 2013.

So possibly the third best team in history, but I think there is a fair amount of day light between WI of 80s, Aus of 2000s and this Indian team.

Personally I am never a fan of comparing teams and players across eras because you just can't say how someone would have performed in that era so this is relatively speaking, of course.

India has no doubt been a phenomenal team and still has many years to go, so who knows what more they can achieve. I hope the political situation between Pakistan and India allows a couple of series between us before this era ends for India.

Indian team of 00s? Consisting Venakatesh Prasad and Robin Singh? Lol. Man, we used to even lose to Zimbabwe in that time.

No, the team with Tendulkar, Sehwag, Laxman, Dravid, Kumble who went toe to toe with the likes of all time great Aussies. They would also eventually end up winning a test series in 2007.

I would say a little better than SA of 2006 to 2013.

So possibly the third best team in history, but I think there is a fair amount of day light between WI of 80s, Aus of 2000s and this Indian team.

Personally I am never a fan of comparing teams and players across eras because you just can't say how someone would have performed in that era so this is relatively speaking, of course.

India has no doubt been a phenomenal team and still has many years to go, so who knows what more they can achieve. I hope the political situation between Pakistan and India allows a couple of series between us before this era ends for India.

There is big big big daylight between the top 2 and the rest.

I think its a fair comment. India have achieved some significant milestones, particularly in test match cricket where they won in Australia with a second string side, and pretty much won the series in England ( I'm not sure about specifics if the new test is isolated or part of the series).

One of the barometers of a team being a great side is the respect that other teams and the wider cricketing community gives them. A tour by India or a tour to India is seen as a significant tour in the cricketing calendar for all teams ( not just for financial reasons).

However, the major blemish against them is that they haven't won a major ICC event for some time and so it can be concluded they lack the killer instinct. Similarly to how the South African side was labelled bi-lateral bullys and chokers.

Overall, its reasonable for one to include that they are one of the best sides in cricketing history.

i think with lack of ICC trophies they can be termed as a great team maybe not ATG, however they could also be labelled as chokers as they hammered everyone in bi laterals etc but when it came to the main pressure stage of icc tournaments they always find a way to bottle it.

The cricketing history for Asian teams is relatively young out of which Australia, England, WI dominated for the most part with some period where there was no clear dominant team.

India, SA, Paksitan have had their moments out of which this team has had the longest stretch although SA team probably had better results (7 years unbeaten away from home).

Pakistan in the 80s / 90s had their moments too but probably not as consistently as they would have liked

In my opinion the “great” sides are:

England 1950s
WI 1976-95
Australia 1995-2006

There have been strong sides since such as Smith’s SA, Strauss’s England and Kohli’s India but these have not been “great” in the sense that the earlier sides were. One thing about modern test sides is that most have weak batting outside home conditions, Kiwis apart.

When I think of India, I think of the South African team under Graeme Smith. So much potential but lots of unfinished business. And that feeling comes down to a lack of titles. A couple under Rohit before he's gone could remedy things :vk2

1) WI of the 80s

daylight

5) Current Indian Team

The Pakistan team of the 90s would have made mince meat out of this Indian team.

Saeed, Aamer, Inzi, Saleem, Javed, Moin, Wasim, Waqar, etc etc - it was so far superior to this Indian side that it's embarrasing. That side underachieved but trust me plenty talen there to absoutely thrash this India team.

I am ot taking credit away from India. Good side. NOT A GREAT SIDE!

The Pakistan team of the 90s would have made mince meat out of this Indian team.

Saeed, Aamer, Inzi, Saleem, Javed, Moin, Wasim, Waqar, etc etc - it was so far superior to this Indian side that it's embarrasing. That side underachieved but trust me plenty talen there to absoutely thrash this India team.

Pakistan in 1992 were very good indeed, regularly running through a batting line with Gooch, Stewart, Atherton, Smith and latterly Gower. Powerful batting too with Miandad, Salim, Inzaman and Anwar. Of the current Indian side only Kohli, Bumrah and maybe Pant would get in.

1) WI of the 80s

daylight

5) Current Indian Team

Agreed this is perfect.

They were good. Not the greatest.

If he's referring to Kohli's India, they haven't won any ICC trophy. Last trophy came during Dhoni's captaincy.

Last edited:

There's no tax on delusions. Dream on brother.

One of the greatest teams ever? Are you serious? The india team of the 00s and <B>even early 2010s was far far better.</B>

You mean the one that got blanked 0-4 in Australia and England? What a sorry Indian fan you are!

You mean the one that got blanked 0-4 in Australia and England? What a sorry Indian fan you are!

Well the Indian side that played that England series had far stronger batting than the current crew. But they turned up looking tired and jaded and ran into a very good England team.

Kohli’s India have at least held and perhaps beaten England at home but it was the weakest England side I can remember, lacking several first choice bowlers, lacking Stokes, and with just one competent batsman.

Well the Indian side that played that England series had far stronger batting than the current crew. But they turned up looking tired and jaded and ran into a very good England team.

Kohli’s India have at least held and perhaps beaten England at home but it was the weakest England side I can remember, lacking several first choice bowlers, lacking Stokes, and with just one competent batsman.

It's very rare to get a situation when two teams will clash at their peak. When India toured England and Australia and got blanked 4-0, that was a team made up of players who were aged and past their peak and that over the hill Indian team got brutally exposed by an English team that was at its peak. The same happened in Australia a few months later and then the Indian team even lost to England at home where Indian teams rarely lose, which spelled the end of the old Indian team and sparked the dawn of the current Indian generation.

Similarly, the same English team toured Australia about 2 years later with a lot of over the hill players like Swann, Trott, Pietersen, etc., and they were brutally exposed by the Australian team in the Ashes when MJ ran riot against the hapless English side. Point is, it is rare that two sides will meet when both are at their prime and mostly the scenario would be such that one team would be at its peak while the other would be in transition. The Indian team was at its peak in the last year while the English side not so much. This Indian team will be past its prime in about 2-3 years and it will face a brutal reckoning if they don't transition well like during 2011. But it's not India's fault that England weren't at their peak this year.

Some indian fans, ex-players, coaches and current players have a habit of shoving statements(like OP) down other's throats. When Australia was beating teams left, right and center, fans of other countries were feeling that they are up against the greatest and most ruthless side of this era. Australia did not have to tell others how great they were during that era. And here we have Mr. Ravi Shastri with his big statements. How can he say these things with a straight face and after losing WTC final against NZ? And why he is crying about fatigue and non-stop cricket now? I said this before the World Cup that if we fail to win this WC, Mr Shastri will come up with this excuse once again. Was he sleeping during IPL? Why didn't he ask BCCI to give enough rest to those players who were going to be part of WC squad? :inti

Yes I think we are actually mostly agreeing. Sure SA was a threat to any team for a while there- but teams like Oz could also beat them regularly at (SA's) home so not a real dominant #1.

As I said India didn't put together a long enough reign at the top to really push their case- but if you're having that discussion about the best 1-3 or 1-5 best teams of all time- then India get in the conversation.

Yah, I guess many posters are confusing one of the best(Aus/WI and a few others) tags with the best(Aus/WI).

No, the team with Tendulkar, Sehwag, Laxman, Dravid, Kumble who went toe to toe with the likes of all time great Aussies. They would also eventually end up winning a test series in 2007.

May be indian cricket in 2000s only reminds them of Prasad, Kuruvilla, Mohanty and Nilesh Kulkarni, Harvinder Singh and Noel David? They totally skipped indian cricket under Ganguly's captaincy. Those who have watched 2000-2008 series live know how tough it was to even win a session in Australia during those days let alone winning a test series in Australia. It is funny they are comparing that Australian side with the current one. :inti

Last edited:
One word: Fear

Did opposition quake in their boots and give up the series even before the Indians landed on their soil? No.
Did they do so with Aus/West Indies of the past - you betcha. Scared out of their wits.

India have been a very good team - certainly in test. Creditable wins away that are the envy of today's generation. Hats off to them.

Very much like SA in 00's.

One of the greatest in history? You can only have 2 or 3 in that I'd think in that group. I don't see India in there. Neither do any respected pundits who are not Indians.

May be indian cricket in 2000s only reminds them of Prasad, Kuruvilla, Mohanty and Nilesh Kulkarni, Harvinder Singh and Noel David? They totally skipped indian cricket under Ganguly's captaincy. Those who have watched 2000-2008 series live know how tough it was to even win a session in Australia during those days let alone winning a test series in Australia. It is funny they are comparing that Australian side with the current one. :inti

These people are clueless.

I'm a cricket fan who happens to be an Indian. And many better sides have been beaten just as badly in Australia.

There's no tax on delusions. Dream on brother.

1. This same Indian side got annihilated by England a few years ago 4-0
2. The victory over poor Aussie/SA sides have inflated their quality (Yes Pakistan have lost to these same sides because we have been poor in tests recently)
3. How many of the current Indian test team would make it into the following Pak team of the 90s?
Saeed
Aamir
Javed
Inzi
Salim
Ejaz
Rashid
Wasim
Waqar
Shoaib
Mushy/Saqlain

The answer - Kohli.

Thank you.

Series Win in Australia is not a joke, it was a great team indeed but 2nd to the one where they had Tendulkar,Sehwag,Dravid,Ganguly and Laxman.

I'm a cricket fan who happens to be an Indian. And many better sides have been beaten just as badly in Australia.

Doesn't seem to be that you watch enough cricket based on your posts. And if you are a good reader, you must have understood that my last post was about Australia of 2011 who were actually beaten badly during that time at home vs England and South Africa and also drew vs New Zealand at home instead of beating better sides badly as you are referring out.

Last edited:
To call this Indian side great and hence link it with great teams of the past is a joke. It is sporting blasphemy. It is like comparing David Hay or Frank Bruno to Muhammad Ali. It is like comparing a non-league footballer to Diego Maradona. India is a GOOD side. I would even think carefully before putting them in the VERY GOOD category. They are not even the best test side in the world right now - New Zealand have that honour. So basically, Shastri is calling the SECOND best side in the world today one of the ALL TIME GREATS!! That was hilariously funny!

On topic, it is better than the Indian team of 2000-2011 but inferior to South African Team of 2007-2014.

Overall, the fourth greatest test team of all-time and the greatest Asian test team of all-time.

On topic, it is better than the Indian team of 2000-2011 but inferior to South African Team of 2007-2014.

Overall, the fourth greatest test team of all-time and the greatest Asian test team of all-time.

Nooooo. Pak 90s best ever Asian Team. Don't judge purely on your Aussie win (they are rubbish in tests now)

Yeah agreed. South Africa under Smith were a different beast. I think they drew 2 test series against India in India which is a remarkable feat.

Nooooo. Pak 90s best ever Asian Team. Don't judge purely on your Aussie win (they are rubbish in tests now)

You mean a team that has GOAT Steve Smith and potential test GOAT Cummins and five other world class players are rubbish in tests? A team that just a year ago of that win went to England and drew Ashes 2-2 and absolutely whitewashed New Zealand at home?

A team that absolutely whitewashed current Pakistan team?

Plz care to explain.

Yeah agreed. South Africa under Smith were a different beast. I think they drew 2 test series against India in India which is a remarkable feat.

Yes. Also we must remember that the first half of their peak coincided with England's peak too(2009-12). So, the home series they drew in 2009 wasn't bad result because it was against the peak England side and in return, they did beat them in England in 2008 and 2012 both. I am an absolute fan of the South African test team between 2007-14. They were a beast indeed but unfortunately their peak didn't lasted long enough like the Australian or Windies team.

1) WI of the 80s

daylight

5) Current Indian Team

It's a fantastic list & a list I concur with. As I feel you were logical, but not emotional on judgement. But I would like to add the mid 90's South Africa somewhere on that list. I know Cronije didn't win a lot in test matches, but he led arguably the best ODI side we have ever seen.

[

Yes,that's the thing. Their domination occurred during the weakest era this sport has seen since at least cricket became two- formatted sport. I mean we don't have to go far, just compare Kohli/Shashtri era to Sourav/Knight era & see the huge imbalance of competition. Aus,SA,Pak,Sri all have grown pretty miserable since then. Infact each of this team has gone through some of their worst phases in this very era.Zim were a very decent side,but now they are nonexistent. English have revolutionized white ball cricket, but on the process they have become pathetic in test matches. Only team that truly seems to have up the ante is Nz. But they were a very good side even then too. Lets not kid ourselves. Fleming,Astle,Mcmillan, Cairns,Harris,Bond,Vettori,Oram ; they were a formattable unit. When you consider the competition around & also the absolute grasp BCCI has over the game, you definitely can see through that this team underperformed massively. At crucial stages on multiple occasions they messed up. Yes, purely on statistics, one might agree with Shashtri. But when you give a proper analysis you can see the cracks. They were a great test side & only a good white ball unit. Even in the test arena, they could not achieve a series in Nz & SA(which probably will happen this time) & looking at their vulnerability against spin I have my reservations regarding a series against the 11-16 era of Pak in UAE. I don't feel enough confident that these guys could handle Ajmal, Rehman or Yasir at their peak on those desert grave yards. By all means they should have won test series everywhere & lifted at least 3 ICC trophies.Only then they could have been regarded as GOAT on the same brackets with WI & Aus.

2. The victory over poor Aussie/SA sides have inflated their quality (Yes Pakistan have lost to these same sides because we have been poor in tests recently)
3. How many of the current Indian test team would make it into the following Pak team of the 90s?
Saeed
Aamir
Javed
Inzi
Salim
Ejaz
Rashid
Wasim
Waqar
Shoaib
Mushy/Saqlain

The answer - Kohli.

Thank you.

Mate, the Pakistan side of the 90s were dropping home series to Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka. I'm not sure if you're trying to be facetious here.

Also no, this Indian team didn't lose 4-0 in England. Check the players who played in the team that lost 4-0 in 2011 and the current Indian team.

Saeed
Aamir
Javed
Inzi
Salim
Ejaz
Rashid
Wasim
Waqar
Shoaib
Mushy/Saqlain

The answer - Kohli.

Thank you.

Saeed
Rohit
Pujara
Javed
Kohli
Inzi
Rashid
Ashwin/Jadeja
Wasim
Waqar
Bumrah

IMO this is who would make it into the Pakistan test side of that time.

Actually thats being overly kind to Rashid Latif - would probably play Pant.

Bumrah vs Shoaib Akhtar could be modified for Shoaib actually too.

It's a fantastic list & a list I concur with. As I feel you were logical, but not emotional on judgement. But I would like to add the mid 90's South Africa somewhere on that list. I know Cronije didn't win a lot in test matches, but he led arguably the best ODI side we have ever seen.

If we are talking about best ODI sides then the 1999 Pakistan world cup side which got to the final has to be up there. Wasim Akram and Shoaib Akhtar leading the pace attack with Razzaq at the height of his game was pretty special. Anwar, Yousuf and Inzimam were pretty tasty in the batting line up as well, with Moin Khan bolstering the late order. Pakistan and Australia were far and away the best teams of the tournament.

This India team is good but lacks something. They just don't seem to have any fight when the chips are down. In past teams you would have worried about Yuvraj Singh coming in to smash the way out of a hole.

Doesn't seem to be that you watch enough cricket based on your posts. And if you are a good reader, you must have understood that my last post was about Australia of 2011 who were actually beaten badly during that time at home vs England and South Africa and also drew vs New Zealand at home instead of beating better sides badly as you are referring out.

England at that time had the likes of Cook and KP and it's one of the best England sides in the last 30 years, the SA side was one of their best ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we are talking about best ODI sides then the 1999 Pakistan world cup side which got to the final has to be up there. Wasim Akram and Shoaib Akhtar leading the pace attack with Razzaq at the height of his game was pretty special. Anwar, Yousuf and Inzimam were pretty tasty in the batting line up as well, with Moin Khan bolstering the late order. Pakistan and Australia were far and away the best teams of the tournament.

This India team is good but lacks something. They just don't seem to have any fight when the chips are down. In past teams you would have worried about Yuvraj Singh coming in to smash the way out of a hole.
The amount of talents on that 99 team was almost hilariously crazy. They had everything you wish on a dream team.Even Mighty Windies(Great Spinner) Or Aussis(Proper All-rounder) lacked things they had. The fact that Waqar, Mushtaq, Aakib & Sohel had no place on that team tells you what they had in their disposal! But you can't compare them to Cronije's team. Just check the winning percentage of him & Akram. Akram's Pak or in general that 90's team never had consistency whereas South Africans redefined that word.Also in 99 WC they were almost as good if not better than Pak/Aus.)Lack of World cup & ofcourse Cronije's scandal has ruined the legacy but the team was a beast. No way I would compare them with the Pakistanis even though they had what I would call potentially the most talented this sport has ever seen.

England at that time had the likes of Cook and KP and it's one of the best England sides in the last 30 years, the SA side was one of their best ever. I've seen you post on here a lot and most of your posts are nonsense tbh. Please don't be offended.

He is only looking at Indian team of that era and comparing them with the current team. Forgetting completely about how weak or strong opposition teams were at that time. :inti

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the greatest ever teams relying on Afghan/Namibia/Scotland to help propel them to qualify for knockout stage, yep that sounds like it...NOT!

What they did at 2019 WC (to help disqualify Pak and then got kicked out the very next game) is another really bad blot on their record, not to forget the beatings they got in England last time or two!

No one cares about T20s. Tests are what matter the most and the team has been phenomenal in that format for the last few years.

Back