Ravi Shastri wants fewer Test teams, MCC chief backs T20 in changing landscape

Do you support the idea of having a two-tier system in Test cricket?

• Total voters
Few quality teams is better than having multitudes but a monoply over this format would be inimical too.

That’s why i’m asking what’s your reason? There needs to be a reason to dislike BCCI..only Pakistanis actually have a genuine reason.
Remember, when Australia's power was reduced in the ICC, it is natural to dislike BCCI. Who cares about how Bangladesh was treated. :)

Ravi wants fewer Test teams and more cheerleading, Ravi The Cheerleader shastri

Last edited by a moderator:
No interest in Test cricket anymore so why not invest in T20 now.. just scrap this time wasting format now

Cricket needs to stop being such a confused sport and just pick a lane.

It's obvious that no one besides India (not even Australia and England) have the resources to invest in three different formats.

Even in India, test cricket has sustained because Kohli and the old guard (Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman, Kumble) are elite folks who care about the longest format.

Even though he played 90 tests, you could tell it didn't mean a lot to a small-towner like Dhoni - who is more representative of what India thinks.

T20 is the format of the future. It's the only way to grow what's a dying/stagnating sport.

Test cricket can be one-off affairs like medieval fairs where you experience life in ye ole times.

After WI/SL gets smashed in England more people agree with this :D

International calendar should structure with white ball cricket. Tests only play if home boards make profit else no need.

I would support a no test format or let aus-ind-eng enjoy it within themselves. It's quite evident many teams and 99% of the fans gives no crap about test matches. Take a look at the lower ranked teams like SriLankan, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, etc - do you think they care much about test? Even Indians cares more about IPL than a test match. Honestly, today where everything is fast paced, test has no place. Players wants to earn money so they will quit test to play franchise cricket day in day out

"In cricket, money is seen as a dirty word but it shouldn't be because it is the only way to sustain the game." [Mark Nicholas]
Given the general tenor of cricket today and given the singular focus on money in the symposium arranged by the MCC, I find the above quote mildly amusing.

In the cricket world today, money, far from being a dirty word, has become a testimony of faith: ‘there is no God, but money’.

I came across a quote in this week’s Times Literary Supplement, but I will replace the word culture with cricket: “[cricket] is commodified and sold back to us as a simulacrum of meaning.”

I would support a no test format or let aus-ind-eng enjoy it within themselves. It's quite evident many teams and 99% of the fans gives no crap about test matches. Take a look at the lower ranked teams like SriLankan, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, etc - do you think they care much about test?
Fans don't care because their team is not good in Tesrs. Not the other way around. Indian fans are diverse. Not everyone is pure IPL fan. Recent England series was an example. Teams don't have enough bench strength to form a good Test team. SA to some extent NZ can still field a God Test unit. WI batting needs fixing..Their fans love Test cricket. Remaining teams can relegate themselves.

I think if a team is not playing at least 10 Tests a year, that team should not be allowed to play any, next year.

We cannot simply let this format die.

Are you sure about England? Cricket is losing popularity in England among native Brits. That's why they came up with The Hundred.

First 3 days of England v West Indies, across all 3 Tests in the series, all sold out in advance.

Day 4 of this Test, the Lord’s Saturday, had there been need for one, was also a sell out.

England v Sri Lanka at the Oval in September is already sold out.

It’s not accurate that “only the Ashes” provides a full stadium in England for Test cricket. All of it nowadays is selling out, particularly since McCullum and Stokes came in.

Test cricket has been crying out for reform for a long time.

There needs to be more context to the matches and a reason for why they are played.

The test championship does help but it seems weird to have a one off final after a two year build up.

A test championship with the winner crowned at the end of the cycle and promotion/relegation could work...but it will be heavily subsided by T20 cricket because there is no chance in hell that. Sri Lanka v West Indies div 2 test championship match will be a revenue generator.

Test championship has been a bit of a flop imo. Promotion and relegation would be much better.

• Test League A: India, Australia, England, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan.

• Test League B: Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe, Ireland.

One automatic promotion (B1) and relegation (A6) at the end of each two year cycle.

B2 also contests A5 in a promotion/relegation playoff at this point. A5 keeps its position if it wins, draws, or ties the game; if B2 wins, it is promoted and A5 is relegated.

A1 and B1 both receive silverware. No playoff system for A1 - they are the Test League champions.

Could expand from 6 to 7 teams in each League if full membership is granted to (eg) Nepal or Scotland.

• Test League A: India, Australia, England, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan.

• Test League B: Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe, Ireland.

One automatic promotion (B1) and relegation (A6) at the end of each two year cycle.

B2 also contests A5 in a promotion/relegation playoff at this point. A5 keeps its position if it wins, draws, or ties the game; if B2 wins, it is promoted and A5 is relegated.

A1 and B1 both receive silverware. No playoff system for A1 - they are the Test League champions.

Could expand from 6 to 7 teams in each League if full membership is granted to (eg) Nepal or Scotland.
I like the idea. But unfortunately, only good on paper. Not practical. For league B.

They will lose money in all directions. Which I am sure the individual boards will not like. As is, the only thing that is propping up the league B teams is an India tour and ICC handouts.

I like your idea in principle but what incentive will be League B team have to climb up to League A?

I know if I was a player in League B, I would not give a toss about relegation/promotion in this day and age of T20 leagues.

Unless there is a huge financial bonus in the mix for board/players, I don’t see this working. Essentially you may never see WI playing England/Australia in test cricket ever again.

Test cricket will inevitably die anyway. The more you tweak things, the faster will be the death.

What we can do for now is to cut down test cricket to 4 days, Max 80 overs a day, and have day/night matches. This will naturally attract more TV viewership & more crowd in the grounds who can come after work.

What we can do for now is to cut down test cricket to 4 days, Max 80 overs a day, and have day/night matches. This will naturally attract more TV viewership & more crowd in the grounds who can come after work.

Having a 320-over 4-day game is a good start, but I worry that some players/teams would get reactively stuck in their ways and just set up for the draw straight away. There would need to be much more incentive or reason to go for the win.

Keep day games IMO (some day/nights) — the session under dark skies is overly favourable to the bowling side and makes the toss both too obvious [100% bat first], and too decisive for the result.

Yeah. This is a good idea.

I don't think 5 days is sustainable in today's age. Domestic FC games are 4 days anyway.

This is a very good idea. I support this.

This can reduce one-sided games and encourage teams to work harder (to either get promoted or avoid relegation).

Test cricket will inevitably die anyway. The more you tweak things, the faster will be the death.

It will probably end as it started. England and Australia just playing each other on biannual rotating tours, with some matches involving a 3rd team (in that case South Africa).

Test cricket could end up as a “legends/classics” sort of event, i.e. a 3 way tri-series every couple of years between England, Australia and India, with the two best performing sides contesting a final.

ICC can also try India, Eng, Aus and World XI in test cricket

Only 5 teams should play test cricket - Ind, Eng, Aus, SA, Pak

Fans don't care because their team is not good in Tesrs. Not the other way around. Indian fans are diverse. Not everyone is pure IPL fan. Recent England series was an example. Teams don't have enough bench strength to form a good Test team. SA to some extent NZ can still field a God Test unit. WI batting needs fixing..Their fans love Test cricket. Remaining teams can relegate themselves.
Actually fans caring or not matters very little. MONEY does not care. Test cricket = 40h blocked on tv time. Tv channels cares more about money. If fans are not sitting in front of tv for that amount of time where they can sell that time for other sports for shorter time and more money, what do you think will happen. England's last test against WI had Jimmy retiring so that's an anomaly. In 2024 a sport like a ODI is already too long, nvm test cricket. More and more cricketers will quit test to play t20 and ODI only.

It will probably end as it started. England and Australia just playing each other on biannual rotating tours, with some matches involving a 3rd team (in that case South Africa).

Test cricket could end up as a “legends/classics” sort of event, i.e. a 3 way tri-series every couple of years between England, Australia and India, with the two best performing sides contesting a final.

This is the reality. Even the ICC knows this. It's a format that simply has no relevance and is horrible to watch as a neutral when the skill gap between 2 sides is considerable.

Its good for Pakistan as this will guard Pakistan team from upset against minnows.

Not enough team to have tiers. Remove Indians from the decision making in cricket before they completely destroy the sport.

There is a reason why football is flourishing, there is no 3rd world self centered mentality at Fifa.

Cricket always had just 3-4 good test teams in any era. Nothing different from current era.

Having a two tier will make it harder to attract viewership for lower tier. Who is going to watch BD vs WI ?

WI team still gets eyeball when playing bigger teams.

ICC can set up deidcated fund for Pak, BD, WI etc to play more test. They don't play because it's loss making for them.

Now, if India can some how lose this test due to going for win at all cost then all this talk of two tier will die down.

How to make cricket great again? Ban T20 at international level.

Maybe franchise leagues can have T20 but international T20s should be scrapped.
This will pretty much kill off WI, SL and BD. Perhaps even PCB. Could throw in NZ and SA in this mix too. These three rely heavily on T20I to generate revenue. Besides the handouts from ICC.

T20I is where they make money to pay the bills. Not tests. Not even ODI's these days.

Back