Ravi Shastri wants fewer Test teams, MCC chief backs T20 in changing landscape

Do you support the idea of having a two-tier system in Test cricket?

• Total voters

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Restricting test cricket to six or seven teams and using the 20-overs format as the vehicle to spread the game were some of the views aired at a symposium organised by the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) on Sunday.

Test cricket's dwindling appeal outside India, England and Australia has coincided with the proliferation of lucrative T20 leagues across the world.

Although test cricket at the top level still often produces drama, the brevity and action-packed nature of 20-overs cricket has quickly made it the preferred format for the game's new fans.

Former India player and coach Ravi Shastri said test cricket must remain competitive and the only way to do so was to have only the relatively stronger teams competing in this format.

"When you don't have quality, that is when the ratings drop, there are fewer people in the crowd, its meaningless cricket, which is the last thing sport wants," Shastri said at World Cricket Connects, an event at Lord's hosted by the MCC.

"You have 12 test match teams. Bring it down to six or seven and have promotion and relegation system.

"You can have two tiers but let the top six keep playing to sustain the interest in Test cricket.

"You can spread the game in other formats, like T20," added the former India coach.

Former Australia batter and coach Justin Langer said while he loved T20 leagues, he wanted international cricket to be protected for the impact in can have on young people.

He cited examples including West Indies fast bowler Shamar Joseph's memorial debut series in Australia this year.

"...it had Australia enthralled and it brought the Caribbean to life," Langer said.

"Last week we saw a million people turn up to see India celebrated for winning the World Cup.

"That is bilateral cricket and international cricket."

Summing up the themes, MCC President Mark Nicholas said the views were not to suggest test cricket was unwarranted, and that cricket needed money to sustain itself.

"T20 cricket is the behemoth that everybody wants," he said.

"It is where the new market is, where the fans are and where the money is.

"In cricket, money is seen as a dirty word but it shouldn't be because it is the only way to sustain the game."

Reuters

I kinda agree with Shastri- no point in pushing Test cricket on countries who cannot afford it. Let them concentrate on T20s.

What's the point of test cricket when Pakistan India tests don't take place? There's the hype for it. Should be the equivalent of the ashes.

No one cares what MCC thinks, history of MCC is well established how discriminatory they were, not allowing women until 1998.

Who should everyone care about if not MCC? BCCI?
Only Indians need to care about what BCCI says coz they run our cricket or people who want to be associated with IPL.
Bangladesh or Australia don’t have to.

Only Indians need to care about what BCCI says coz they run our cricket or people who want to be associated with IPL.
Bangladesh or Australia don’t have to.

Who should non-Indians care about? There needs to be one authorized entity for all countries (including India).

Honestly, it should only be Aus End Ind. Just 3 nations. Test cricket elsewhere is dying incl Pak WI SA SL.. T20 is the future to expand the game even though I luv test cricket. It's just not viable outside the Big 3. There is no market or demand. The test series in Pak had empty grounds and even the players prefer T20 as its more pay and less work and not 5 grueling days. I dont think T20s should subsidize test cricket in non big 3 nations. Also the level of competition goes down. So only Aus Eng Ind should play test cricket as they have a market for it. Even in Ind , test cricket is no where close to T20 in popularity now and the younger gen prefers T20 by a distance - but just that the Ind market is so huge that even a fraction of it makes it pretty large compared to Aus or Eng.
Thats my take. And I will say I am an absolute fan of tests and grew up watching those - but I am realistic and pragmatic enough to realize that T20 is the future of cricket and more marketable if you want to spread the game and want to compete with say soccer, baseball etc

Quote Reply

Who should non-Indians care about? There needs to be one authorized entity for all countries (including India).
That’s upto them to decide.. and why should India listen to one entity? These guys had veto powers, no thanks as an India I don’t want to be lectured by MCC.
Equality is a myth, if not Bhutan will get a say in world affairs.

Honestly, it should only be Aus End Ind. Just 3 nations. Test cricket elsewhere is dying incl Pak WI SA SL.. T20 is the future to expand the game even though I luv test cricket. It's just not viable outside the Big 3. There is no market or demand. The test series in Pak had empty grounds and even the players prefer T20 as its more pay and less work and not 5 grueling days. I dont think T20s should subsidize test cricket in non big 3 nations. Also the level of competition goes down. So only Aus Eng Ind should play test cricket as they have a market for it. Even in Ind , test cricket is no where close to T20 in popularity now and the younger gen prefers T20 by a distance - but just that the Ind market is so huge that even a fraction of it makes it pretty large compared to Aus or Eng.
Thats my take. And I will say I am an absolute fan of tests and grew up watching those - but I am realistic and pragmatic enough to realize that T20 is the future of cricket and more marketable if you want to spread the game and want to compete with say soccer, baseball etc

Are you sure about England? Cricket is losing popularity in England among native Brits. That's why they came up with The Hundred.

Are you sure about England? Cricket is losing popularity in England among native Brits. That's why they came up with The Hundred.
Yeah thats why I mentioned Ind and Aus in addition to Eng. The Ashes will always sell out and the Eng-Ind tests will still find an audience in Eng. It's a pleasure to watch test cricket in Eng - especially if you take any of the hospitality packages. It's more like a day out with fun and activities. OTOH watching tests in SC and Ind is a miserable experience but tests in Ind are more about the TV viewership compared to test attendance

Test cricket has been crying out for reform for a long time.

There needs to be more context to the matches and a reason for why they are played.

The test championship does help but it seems weird to have a one off final after a two year build up.

A test championship with the winner crowned at the end of the cycle and promotion/relegation could work...but it will be heavily subsided by T20 cricket because there is no chance in hell that. Sri Lanka v West Indies div 2 test championship match will be a revenue generator.

That’s upto them to decide.. and why should India listen to one entity? These guys had veto powers, no thanks as an India I don’t want to be lectured by MCC.
Equality is a myth, if not Bhutan will get a say in world affairs.
As a Pakistani I would prefer to be discriminated by a white face than an Indian. Its something I can stomach. Feels more natural and there is no malice to their discrimination. Plus nobody from MCC will troll me on internet after discrimination takes place. That's why I will back MCC against any Indian threats.

As a Pakistani I would prefer to be discriminated by a white face than an Indian. Its something I can stomach. Feels more natural.
lol and honestly I don’t blame you as BCCI is being discriminatory towards Pakistani players barring them from IPL eventhough Rajasthan Hyderabad Bangalore Chennai Kolkata would easily scout few Pakistani players considering their massive interest in playing league cricket.

Eng
Aus
India
Pakistan
WI
SA
NZ

Only these 7 should play Tests
Lanka is good in Lanka man.. they will come good.
Even outside Asia the are the only Asian team to have a series in SA and Eng in recent past.

Test cricket is over. Grandfather cricket.

Should be played like Legends league - for nostalgiac.

Nobody interested in watching Mir Hamza bowl with red ball to Najmul Shanto.

Only Ashes/BGT/Anthony DMello series relevant.

No need for Test championship and useless things.

You are Bangladeshi aren’t you?

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Pakistani I would prefer to be discriminated by a white face than an Indian. Its something I can stomach. Feels more natural and there is no malice to their discrimination. Plus nobody from MCC will troll me on internet after discrimination takes place. That's why I will back MCC against any Indian threats.

LOL. Same here. I prefer MCC over BCCI any day.

I am a lover of Test. But, I don't remember when was the last time I watched a full Test match. Going to stadium is out of the equation. Even watching on TV is difficult (work, study etc.).

I think we are the last generation to love Test. I don't see future generations caring about Test a lot. Test may even go extinct or become irrelevant.

Test matches are regularly sold out in the UK
Take for example the forthcoming Test against the West Indies this week — it has been sold out for the first four days.

The Hundred was designed for the ECB to have a tournament that they could control (unlike the Vitality Blast) and then subsequently sell either to private equity or to worldwide franchises based in India. Basically revenue generating for the ECB.

True cricket fans in the U.K. (well the indigenous population) love Test cricket especially the Ashes.
Most people here in the U.K. were barely aware there was a T20 World Cup going on recently (and couldn’t care less).

Test matches are regularly sold out in the UK
Take for example the forthcoming Test against the West Indies this week — it has been sold out for the first four days.

The Hundred was designed for the ECB to have a tournament that they could control (unlike the Vitality Blast) and then subsequently sell either to private equity or to worldwide franchises based in India. Basically revenue generating for the ECB.

True cricket fans in the U.K. (well the indigenous population) love Test cricket especially the Ashes.
Most people here in the U.K. were barely aware there was a T20 World Cup going on recently (and couldn’t care less).

That was not what I read online.

Here is a paragraph from the article:

Graves stands down in November 2020, after The Hundred’s first season: the job of making it work in the long term will be his successor’s task. But he will leave office convinced a new format was needed. With Test cricket on the wane around the world, the ECB fear it will lose value even in England. And, in 2018, they received a jolt as they set about trying to renew their Indian broadcast deal, only for Star Sports – who had recently spent $2.55bn on the IPL – to cut ties. It left Sony to pick up the five-year contract, for what sources have described as “tens of millions” lower than the Star deal. It was the first serious sign that Test-match rights cannot be banked ad infinitum. The hole needed filling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Then scrap tests and ODI formats.

T20 world cup every 4 years. T20 league with promotion and relegation in between that runs every year.

Asia Cup every 2 years.

NZ, England, OZ, SA, WI have their own tournament which also runs every 2 years.

ECB fears it will lose value not that it has, Ashes will continue.
Also ECB cannot depend upon Indian audience for money for their test cricket unless touring touring

Colonial hangover.
You have no reason to believe that Australians would not troll you, trolling is a human quality and is very uniformly spread over the general population.

As a general piece of advice, Pakistan should become to India what Canada is to US.

If you ask me, I would axe all formats and push for some thing like T30 for "be all end all" type of format.

Leagues, international tours, tournament everything in one single format.

However, beauty of Cricket is that all 3 formats is needed.

Eng
Aus
India
Pakistan
WI
SA
NZ

Only these 7 should play Tests

Many pakistanis on this forum say that test cricket no longer excites them. How widespread is this sentiment ? I saw empty grounds in recent test series hosted in Pakistan.

LOL. Same here. I prefer MCC over BCCI any day.

As a Pakistani I would prefer to be discriminated by a white face than an Indian. Its something I can stomach. Feels more natural and there is no malice to their discrimination.

Do you prefer the current ICC governance or the pre-1993 ICC where Aus and Eng had an exclusive veto vote ?

MCC can say whatever it wants to say. Test cricket should continue and ICC should make sure it does. Might just scrap WTC and make countries plat a minimum of 10 test matches very year.

T20 is exciting but I think test should not be scraped away.

I am a lover of Test. But, I don't remember when was the last time I watched a full Test match. Going to stadium is out of the equation. Even watching on TV is difficult (work, study etc.).

I think we are the last generation to love Test. I don't see future generations caring about Test a lot. Test may even go extinct or become irrelevant.

It already going extinct.

Only India , Australia players play Tests on priority

England youngsters mostly choosing white ball.

Do you prefer the current ICC governance or the pre-1993 ICC where Aus and Eng had an exclusive veto vote ?
It seems like the current system India has a defacto exclusive veto vote and Indian fans want the ICC to turn into an Indian dictatorship eventually.

I'll stick with the white nations in charge. At least they could be reasoned.

Colonial hangover.
You have no reason to believe that Australians would not troll you, trolling is a human quality and is very uniformly spread over the general population.

As a general piece of advice, Pakistan should become to India what Canada is to US.
Lol at colonial hangover.

The comparison between the Pakistan and Canada is not appt.

India is actively trying to isolate Pakistan in cricket. Does the same happen between US/Canada?

It is better being ruled by England and Australia who can be reasoned with than cricket being ruled by Indians where every decision is made for so called national pride.

Lol at colonial hangover.

The comparison between the Pakistan and Canada is not appt.

India is actively trying to isolate Pakistan in cricket. Does the same happen between US/Canada?

It is better being ruled by England and Australia who can be reasoned with than cricket being ruled by Indians where every decision is made for so called national pride.

Pakistani isolation policy was inacted after Mumbai attacks.
India decided that it has economic power to isolate Pakistan and does not need to traditional warfare to cause damage to Pakistan. And it has worked wonderfully.

Canada and United States are same racial people, as are India and Pakistan (more or less, India is a diverse country)

India and Bangladesh have a similar love hate , but mutually prosperous relationship.

This thread will derail if there is talk going on about who is trying to isolate who. Not the topic of this thread. Please, stay on topic.

I not only support a two tier test but also a 3 tier odi and T20 system. Relegation and promotion in the tires will make the games more interesting.

I prefer pre-1993 ICC. Things were amazing back then.

I am even okay with pre-T20 and pre-IPL ICC.

What’s your reason considering Dalmiya was intrumental in helping BD get games and CT hosted in 1998
Dalmoya's contribution to BD cricket is undeniable. But I think having test status at that time did BD more harm then good. We got into playing with the big boys out of nowhere and started to lose constantly. This losing I think really took on the mental capacity on the players and fans

Current teams like Afg befire and Nepal have now a system in place where they can play with teams equivalent to them and come out of the ranks ready.

What’s your reason considering Dalmiya was intrumental in helping BD get games and CT hosted in 1998

BD have nothing to do with anything. I don't support a group/person based on what happens to BD. LOL.

I prefer pre-1993 ICC. Things were amazing back then.

I am even okay with pre-T20 and pre-IPL ICC.
You have no idea about pre-1993.
All your memories are of Dalmiya influencing cricket to be South Asian oriented.

BD have nothing to do with anything. I don't support a group/person based on what happens to BD. LOL.
That’s why i’m asking what’s your reason? There needs to be a reason to dislike BCCI..only Pakistanis actually have a genuine reason.

I think T20 has already made Tests irrelevant, I only watch India tours to Sena countries, I hardly bother with test cricket played in India as well. Tests should only be played by the big 3. As for Odi's just have a World cup, Asia cup and once in a while a tri-nation or 4 nation tournament. Bilaterals are boring and should be completely done away with.
Have the T20 world cup every 4 years instead of 2 so it retains some of it's value.
The rest of the calender can be used to play league cricket

It seems like the current system India has a defacto exclusive veto vote and Indian fans want the ICC to turn into an Indian dictatorship eventually.

I'll stick with the white nations in charge. At least they could be reasoned.

This is a tad naive.

India's reason for hostility towards Pakistan Cricket is political aka terrorism issues.

Eng and Aus don't have any such poltical issues with Pakistan so of course they're going to sound more reasonable to you.

That’s why i’m asking what’s your reason? There needs to be a reason to dislike BCCI..only Pakistanis actually have a genuine reason.

Cricket has become extremely commercialized. Modern day cricket doesn't feel fun (compared to cricket from pre-T20 eras). It feels like they want to milk everything. BCCI and modern day ICC are responsible for this.

Another reason is India getting preferential treatments. For example, they had a reserve day for Pak-Ind game during Asia Cup but not other games. India getting to know where they would play semi beforehand. Final of World T20 being a day game just for Indian fans. Stuff like that.

Reason #1 is the main reason.

Cricket has become extremely commercialized. Modern day cricket doesn't feel fun (compared to cricket from pre-T20 eras). It feels like they want to milk everything. BCCI and modern day ICC are responsible for this.

Another reason is India getting preferential treatments. For example, they had a reserve day for Pak-Ind game during Asia Cup but not other games. India getting to know where they would play semi beforehand. Final of World T20 being a day game just for Indian fans. Stuff like that.

Reason #1 is the main reason.
Preferential treatment.. India had no gaps had they made it into final, which they did.
The morning games are due to money, I’m sure players would be good with day night games.

When you started watching is when Cricket was getting commercialized.
It wasn’t commercialised until Kerry Packer which is what 1979?
ODI itself was commercialisation and BCCI didn’t invent that they just made money on it because Indian team 1983 won it.

You prefer era when you didn't watch single game?

I watch cricket since 1997. Cricket felt wholesome then. Current cricket is dull compared to previous eras.

Anyway, I can always watch highlights or read about pre-1993 cricket. I don't have to watch.

I watch cricket since 1997. Cricket felt wholesome then. Current cricket is dull compared to previous eras.

Anyway, I can always watch highlights or read about pre-1993 cricket. I don't have to watch.
Cricket was mor wholesome in the 90s bcoz many teams were competing hard

Now many teams like Pakistan , Sri Lanka, West Indies have turned into borderline minnows. Of course people like you blame BCCI & ICC but its not BCCI''s fault that Pakistan & Sri Lanka cannot even get out of Group stage of T20 WC. Or why Bangladesh continues to perform like minnows. Its bcoz of their abysmal management & poor performances

BCCI & ICC is convenient scapegoat for fans of these countries to hide their own failings

You have no idea about pre-1993.
All your memories are of Dalmiya influencing cricket to be South Asian oriented.
You know I respect you despite many times disagreeing but DV is right, I'd rather the Aus Eng rule than India's.

Under them we got 2 World Cups, weren't boycotted in bilaterals and both teams turned up for ICC tourneys in Pakistan. Neither were busy isolating us. So for me there is no comparison.

You know I respect you despite many times disagreeing but DV is right, I'd rather the Aus Eng rule than India's.

Under them we got 2 World Cups, weren't boycotted in bilaterals and both teams turned up for ICC tourneys in Pakistan. Neither were busy isolating us. So for me there is no comparison.

Those World Cups that SC got was because Dalmiya. Please read history cricket world cups. 🙏

Those World Cups that SC got was because Dalmiya. Please read history cricket world cups. 🙏
My point is if it was in BCCI's power NOW we would not get anything. Every dumbest person knows this as well. This CT is a pointless token, we have no tourney in the next decade.

But if ECB and CA run cricket, we would.

And secondly, the BCCI of 90s was very benign with good leaders. Compared to the BJP run Pakistan hating system now. There is no comparison.

Makes sense the two tier system, however the test format isn't likely to continue going forward especially with it's regression not decreasing.

1st Tier: India, England, Australia.
2nd Tier: New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka, West Indies.
3rd Tier: Ireland, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Afghanistan.

Biryani/Pulao/Paratha/Karahi Tier: Pakistan.

My point is if it was in BCCI's power NOW we would not get anything. Every dumbest person knows this as well. This CT is a pointless token, we have no tourney in the next decade.

But if ECB and CA run cricket, we would.

No guarantee of that. South Africa have not hosted 18 years till 2027. 2009 CT was last

West Indies hosted after 14years also .

They don't have problem with BCCI.

Even previous, Pakistan got to host World Cup because of joint bid from ACC.

Standalone bid may not be possible even if ENG/AUS administer ICC

Dalmiya helped break Anglo hegemony of cricket.
Look at the mess we are in now because of the breaking of this hegemony.

Indians are throwing tantrums and flexing their muscles over every petty thing.

Cricket was better under the custody of the Anglos and the stewardship of esteemed bodies like the MCC.

No guarantee of that. South Africa have not hosted 18 years till 2027. 2009 CT was last

West Indies hosted after 14years also .

They don't have problem with BCCI.

Even previous, Pakistan got to host World Cup because of joint bid from ACC.

Standalone bid may not be possible even if ENG/AUS administer ICC
Not sure what your point is.

BCCI rules cricket now, under who's rule we are bullied against, isolated against to the maximum possible. South Africa and WI have also hosted MULTIPLE WCs and T20s in between which you forgot to mention. To make up for the fact we didn't host anything due to attack, we should have gotten some cups next decade. We have none.

This is all under BCCI.

I'd just love CA and ECB as since PCB is at rock bottom anyway how much worse could they be for us?

The answer is....not much worse.

Look at the mess we are in now because of the breaking of this hegemony.

Indians are throwing tantrums and flexing their muscles over every petty thing.

Cricket was better under the custody of the Anglos and the stewardship of esteemed bodies like the MCC.

A very Anglo centre story but OK.

A very Anglo centre story but OK.
I don't care who runs cricket whether it's Anglos or Janglos.

I'm cricket centric first and then Pakistan cricket centric second.

But you tell me why I should prefer to want the son of Amit Shah running cricket over the previous set ups?

I don't care who runs cricket whether it's Anglos or Janglos.

I'm cricket centric first and then Pakistan cricket centric second.

But you tell me why I should prefer to want the son of Amit Shah running cricket over the previous set ups?

Under Anglos, teams like India had pay England for touring :D

Because refuse tour SC for many years because they couldn't care for cricket - only Ashes

Which bilateral cricket run like that nowadays ?

Even now, does Anglos tour Zimbabwe? Or Bangladesh regular?

BCCI tour them without asking even reciprocal tour :D

Dalmiya fought hard bring CT trophy to Bangladesh which Anglos oppose. Put Bangladesh on cricket map.

Wanted to expand Test nations. BCCI also support Afghans board with Test status

Which Anglos support them?

Read Jarrod Kimber. County Cricket was a window where national players were not available for national duty of other countries. Or Kerry Packer

Now same IPL has own window but Anglos have problem? :D

Supposed better Anglos neither tour other smaller boards but very happy to join BCCI to make Big 3 in 2014 for money :D

At least BCCI honour commitments even after Big 3 formed .

Maybe PAK fans happy with white masters /elite MCC snobs that's ok :D

Under Anglos, teams like India had pay England for touring :D

Because refuse tour SC for many years because they couldn't care for cricket - only Ashes

Which bilateral cricket run like that nowadays ?

Even now, does Anglos tour Zimbabwe? Or Bangladesh regular?

BCCI tour them without asking even reciprocal tour :D

Dalmiya fought hard bring CT trophy to Bangladesh which Anglos oppose. Put Bangladesh on cricket map.

Wanted to expand Test nations. BCCI also support Afghans board with Test status

Which Anglos support them?

Read Jarrod Kimber. County Cricket was a window where national players were not available for national duty of other countries. Or Kerry Packer

Now same IPL has own window but Anglos have problem? :D

Supposed better Anglos neither tour other smaller boards but very happy to join BCCI to make Big 3 in 2014 for money :D

At least BCCI honour commitments even after Big 3 formed .

Maybe PAK fans happy with white masters /elite MCC snobs that's ok :D
I asked you why I would prefer the son of Amit Shah being defacto ruler?

You haven't answered my question.

I asked you why I would prefer the son of Amit Shah being defacto ruler?

You haven't answered my question.
You said you cricket fan 1st.

From pure cricket POV, BCCI has been better than Anglo boards - was my point

Problem is actually you PAK fan first . From that POV, yeah not good 👍

MCC was founded in 1787. It has a legacy. It has a prestige. MCC should be in charge of laws of cricket and it should be the authority.

Denying MCC's legacy and authority is foolishly arrogant.

I condemn Dalmiya for overthrowing a stable ICC. We now see chaos.

What's the point of test cricket when Pakistan India tests don't take place? There's the hype for it. Should be the equivalent of the ashes.
90% or more of India Pakistan tests are some of the boring test cricket you will ever see. Odis and T20s, sure I agree with you they are some of the most exciting games no matter which side is stronger or weaker.

There is no better feeling as a cricket fan than when you have a half-decent Test side. When your team is showing prowess in a format where your full batting technique is unraveled. Both pyjama formats are heavily batsmen oriented.

I have said that before as well as a Pakistani that is understandable completely, but my question was more to sweep shot..
But 2009 was when BCCI had already become powerful, also the CT 2017..
I would say Pak had two ICC trophies when BCCI became more influential..

Back