Ravichandran Ashwin, Anil Kumble or Ravindra Jadeja - Pick two names for an Indian all time Test XI

Ab Fan

Senior Test Player
Runs
If you get a chance to pick two spinners in an all time Indian test XI, which two spinners would you most likely pick? Also, would have to consider their batting a bit too because except Kapil, other bowlers can barely bat.

I think Ashwin, Kumble and Jadeja are the three strongest contenders for a place of 2 spinners in an all time India test XI. What would be your pick and why? Discuss!

Ashwin

Format

Matches

Innings

Balls Bowled

Maidens

Runs Given

Wickets

Best Bowling

Economy Rate

Average

Strike Rate

4 Wicket Hauls
5W
5 Wicket Hauls
Test
2011–
9918726012888121275077/592.7923.951.32435

Ravindra Jadeja

Format

Matches

Innings

Balls Bowled
MaidensRuns
Given

Wickets

Best Bowling

Economy Rate

Average

Strike Rate

4 Wicket Hauls
5W
5 Wicket Hauls
Test
2012–
711341711970370542927/422.4724.158.61313

Kumble has 619 Test wickets.

Discuss!

Both Jadeja and Ashwin got exposed recently so I don’t rate them anymore.

I’d pick Kumble, but wasn’t he a pacer.

Harbajhan was a chucker.

So one of my votes goes for Bishen Bedi top top bowler

It depends on the format. Kumble is best suited for Tests. Ashwin is too good on subcontinent pitches. Jadeja is suitable for all formats.

I will pick Kumble and Jadeja for having variety of right and left arm spin. And in Ashwin's case, there is big contrast in his home and oversees record. He is definitely a home bully.

Both Jadeja and Ashwin got exposed recently so I don’t rate them anymore.

I’d pick Kumble, but wasn’t he a pacer.

Harbajhan was a chucker.

So one of my votes goes for Bishen Bedi top top bowler
What do you mean by "exposed recently"?
Ashwin was the highest wicket-taker in the recent England series with an average of 24, and Jadeja was the third-highest wicket-taker with an average of 19 and a batting average of 44.

Jadeja and Ashwin will be my pick, Ashwin offers all that Kumble does and is a better batsman, Jadeja is the greatest test allrounder of this generation.

Purely on bowling, Kumble and Ashwin are the top choices. They have longevity on their side with 600+ and 500+ wickets respectively.

However, Jadeja is a good enough batsman to qualify as a proper all rounder with overall average of 36 and 3k+ runs. His bowling average is 24 and although it is flattering, one can't deny that he is a genuine match winner with bowl in home conditions too.

Ashwin and Jadeja will be my pick. Why? because both of them can bowl and bat equally well much better than Kumble whose only strength lies in bowling. Both ash and Jadeja are better utility players.

Quality of opponents :-

Australia - Kumble > Ash-Jadeja
South Africa - Kumble > Ash - Jadeja
England - Kumble= Ash-Jadeja
New Zealand - Ash-Jadeja > Kumble
Windies - Kumble > Ash-Jadeja
Sri Lanka - Kumble > Ash-Jadeja
Pakistan - Kumble > Ash-Jadeja
Bangladesh - Ash-Jadeja > Kumble

Quality of opponents :-

Australia - Kumble > Ash-Jadeja
South Africa - Kumble > Ash - Jadeja
England - Kumble= Ash-Jadeja
New Zealand - Ash-Jadeja > Kumble
Windies - Kumble > Ash-Jadeja
Sri Lanka - Kumble > Ash-Jadeja
Pakistan - Kumble > Ash-Jadeja
Bangladesh - Ash-Jadeja > Kumble
Ash jadeja never got to play Pakistan though.

Also ash did outbowl Lyon both in 2018 and 2021. Kumble did well too I agree but lot of his wickets were lower order

Thanks to Jadeja's allround skills, he'd never face a competition from Kumble and Ashwin when it comes to assembling an ATG XI.

Much like Saffers, India would have two solid ARs in Kapil and Jadeja at 7 and 8. Both of them are also outstanding fielders.

Between Ashwin and Kumble, maybe the XI would depend on the opposition? If there are too many left handers, go with Ashwin.

Depending on how Ashwin and Jadeja (and Kuldeep) fare in the next 18 months with 10 tests in AUS/ENG, we can perhaps revisit this topic.

Thanks to Jadeja's allround skills, he'd never face a competition from Kumble and Ashwin when it comes to assembling an ATG XI.

Much like Saffers, India would have two solid ARs in Kapil and Jadeja at 7 and 8. Both of them are also outstanding fielders.

Between Ashwin and Kumble, maybe the XI would depend on the opposition? If there are too many left handers, go with Ashwin.

Jadeja would face competition from Kapil for a spot at #7.

Most teams have 2-3 ATG fast bowlers except India and Sri Lanka. So, most likely India are left with picking 5 bowlers (2 of them spinners and hence they might need Ashwin and Kumble to strengthen the attack).

Jadeja would face competition from Kapil for a spot at #7.

Most teams have 2-3 ATG fast bowlers except India and Sri Lanka. So, most likely India are left with picking 5 bowlers (2 of them spinners and hence they might need Ashwin and Kumble to strengthen the attack).

Lol no. Jadeja won't face competition from Kapil because they'd both play. No other team save South Africa has the luxury of 2 AR of the quality of Kapil and Jadeja.

You are probably too new to cricket and therefore tend to assume, naively, that there's a certain template for these so-called ATG teams. Like they have to match player for player. Newsflash: they do not.

India won in AUS without following the template usually followed down under and played both Jadeja and Ashwin. And won. This is how cricket is played in real world.

India can assemble an ATG XI of probably the BEST batting line-up ever, 2 ATG ARs, 1 GOAT quick, and 2 very good quicks/spinners.

Sehwag
Sunny
Dravid
Sachin
Kohli
Pant
Kapil
Jadeja
Ashwin/Srinath
Bumrah
Shami

on asian tracks i will go with Ashwin and Jadeja and fast bouncy tracks i will pick Kumble along with Ashwin.

The ones who are saying Ashwin over Kumble on Asian pitches, perhaps haven't watched how Indian pitches used to be 15-20 years back. They were the flattest tracks on the planet then and most series had 50% or 66% matches drawn. Kumble was used like a dog while our batsmen piled on records after records. Once in a while when he would get pitches, like Ashwin and Jadeja got in for most part of their career, Kumble's deliveries on rough pitches used to be like a water balloon bursting and he was unplayable on such pitches. His glorious moment was 2003-04 tour to Australia when against the incredibly powerful batting line-up of Australia, he took 24 wickets in 3 tests with 3 fifers. And mind you, those were flat wickets as well from Australian standards. Ashwin is yet to take one fifer on any of the sena nations.

The ones who are saying Ashwin over Kumble on Asian pitches, perhaps haven't watched how Indian pitches used to be 15-20 years back. They were the flattest tracks on the planet then and most series had 50% or 66% matches drawn. Kumble was used like a dog while our batsmen piled on records after records. Once in a while when he would get pitches, like Ashwin and Jadeja got in for most part of their career, Kumble's deliveries on rough pitches used to be like a water balloon bursting and he was unplayable on such pitches. His glorious moment was 2003-04 tour to Australia when against the incredibly powerful batting line-up of Australia, he took 24 wickets in 3 tests with 3 fifers. And mind you, those were flat wickets as well from Australian standards. Ashwin is yet to take one fifer on any of the sena nations.
Insightful. I remember Kumble being regarded as a non turning leggie but was too young in those days to appreciate the role of the pitch in aiding spinners.

Do you think he would have had comparable stats to Ashwin and Jadeja had he played more recently?

Out of top 8 teams, 6 teams have 2-3 ATG fast bowlers in their all time XI lineup. Hence, can India afford to play Jadeja at 8 ahead of one of Ashwin or Kumble?

Insightful. I remember Kumble being regarded as a non turning leggie but was too young in those days to appreciate the role of the pitch in aiding spinners.

Do you think he would have had comparable stats to Ashwin and Jadeja had he played more recently?
I would say, and I am sure every Indian cricketer would even privately agree, that if Kumble had played on Indian pitches of recent times, he would have finished with 800 wickets. Kumble's issue in overseas tests at the beginning of his career was that India used to score 200 runs in first inning overseas and he had absolutely nothing to defend. Once Indian batsmen started scoring runs consistently outside India, he also became very consistent in taking wickets outside India. Absolutely the best spinner India ever produced, and Ashwin or Jadeja aren't nowhere close to him.

Kumble was a superior bowler to Ashwin and Jadeja IMO, but he wasn't one to take the pitch out of the equation - like a Murali or Warne.

Tactically, you'd have to pick Ashwin and Jadeja in an ATG XI owing to their contributions with the bat.

Indian bowling in my opinion:-

7. Kapil Dev
8. Ravi Ashwin
9. Anil Kumble
10. Shami
11. Bumrah

In Indian conditions, rest one of the pacer and play Jadeja also.

In SA and NZ, rest out Ashwin and play Zak due to the left armer angle.

India has more balanced pace-spin attack than most of the teams except maybe Australia.

Pace - Bumrah, Kapil, Shami, Srinath, Zak
Spin - Kumble, Ashwin, Bedi, Jadeja, Chandra

Kapil or Jadeja both can bat at 7 and be 90% as good a batsman as Stokes is.

Erapalli Prasanna
Bhagwath Chandrasekar

Actually it’s criminal to not have a place for Bishen Singh Bedi but you only have two spots.

So easy, Kumble and Ashwin will be picks for spinner. Ashwin will be my 2nd allrounder along with great Kapil Dev.

This is my India's All Time Test XI

1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Rahul Dravid
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Virat Kohli (Captain)
6. Rishab Pant (wk)
7. Kapil Dev
8. Ravi Ashwin
9. Anil Kumble
10. Zaheer Khan
11. Jasprit Bumrah

I'll pick Ravindra Jadeja in my 2nd XI

1. Gautam Gambhir
2. Vinoo Mankad
3. Che Pujara
4. Mohd Azharuddin
5. Sourav Ganguly
6. VVS Laxman
7. MS Dhoni (c)
8. Ravindra Jadeja
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Javagal Srinath
11. Mohammad Shami

I think both Ashwin and Jadeja make a strong case to be in all time India test XI.

Usually, the 5th bowler isn't supposed to be a great test bowler. However, Jadeja's accuracy and control vs right handers is just unbelievable and can easily replace Kumble, this adding more strength to batting.

Ashwin would be premier spinner. Kumble is shade better bowler than Jadeja but Jadeja is far superior batter so he will make the cut over Kumble.

Kumble by far the better spinner compared to Ashwin. Lots to admire about Ashwin but Kumble was both an ace and a toiler when conditions weren't favorable. Would bowl mega spells keeping things tight while being threatening.

Since we are picking a hypothetical ATG XI, Ashwin's batting prowess won't be that much of a differentiator. And Kumble himself wasn't a tailender.

Sunny
Viru
Dravid
Sachin
Laxman/Kohli
Pant
Kapil
Jadeja
Kumble
Bumrah
Srinath/Shami

These 2 are responsible for Indias home dominance foer more than a decade. Both have skills from other formats as well making them even more potent. Kumble vs. Chandra..Tough call. Kumble can bat a bit. Chandra is a dud with bat. But can run through sidss.

Kumble by far the better spinner compared to Ashwin. Lots to admire about Ashwin but Kumble was both an ace and a toiler when conditions weren't favorable. Would bowl mega spells keeping things tight while being threatening.

Since we are picking a hypothetical ATG XI, Ashwin's batting prowess won't be that much of a differentiator. And Kumble himself wasn't a tailender.

Sunny
Viru
Dravid
Sachin
Laxman/Kohli
Pant
Kapil
Jadeja
Kumble
Bumrah
Srinath/Shami
Not really. Kumble can be highly ineffective on a lot of different surfaces. Famous one was when SL made 952 runs. So many examples like that. Razzaq and Akmal batting whole of day 5 at Mohali. Then getting thrashed at his home ground on day 4 pitch. He is a good workhorse. But not an all condition bowler like Warne
Yea being a wristy gives him an advantage. Over a period batsmen started treating him like medium pacer who brings.the ball back in. Most of his good memories was from 90s when pitches were overly helpful for spinners due to variable bounce on underreported pitches.

Not really. Kumble can be highly ineffective on a lot of different surfaces. Famous one was when SL made 952 runs. So many examples like that. Razzaq and Akmal batting whole of day 5 at Mohali. Then getting thrashed at his home ground on day 4 pitch. He is a good workhorse. But not an all condition bowler like Warne
Yea being a wristy gives him an advantage. Over a period batsmen started treating him like medium pacer who brings.the ball back in. Most of his good memories was from 90s when pitches were overly helpful for spinners due to variable bounce on underreported pitches.

In a career that has been 132 tests long, of course you'd have series where he'd not have been as successful. Half of Kumble's career starting from 2000 was during a time when India (and even abroad) had super flat pitches. Statsguru can confirm that the decade of 2000 had batsmen scoring most runs per wicket. While the decade of 2010 has been the exact opposite and wickets in India have been super difficult especially against spin.

When you are evaluating careers you cannot ignore these factors. The other factor is the relative strength of bowling attacks that Kumble and Ashwin have been part of.

The fact that Ashwin has bowled in DRS era is a massive factor as well.

My intuition is that Kumble would have been a wrecking ball if he had DRS to call upon.

Ashwin and Jadeja will make it over Kumble and that's mainly due to what they add with their batting. It's super luxury to have bowlers who have 10 tons between them.

Definately Kumble and Ashwin.. Jadeja and Harbhajan for 2nd XI..

Lockdown kids doesn't really know the impact of Anil Kumble on India cricket.. He was the biggest match winner back then👍🏻

My Indian all time XI
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohli (c)
Pant (wk)
Kapil
Ashwin
Kumble
Zaheer
Bumrah

2nd XI
Mankad
Gambhir
Pujara
Ganguly *
Azharuddin
Jadeja
Dhoni (wk)
Harbhajan
Shami
Srinath
Ishant / Chandrasekhar

Definately Kumble and Ashwin.. Jadeja and Harbhajan for 2nd XI..

Lockdown kids doesn't really know the impact of Anil Kumble on India cricket.. He was the biggest match winner back then👍🏻

My Indian all time XI
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohli (c)
Pant (wk)
Kapil
Ashwin
Kumble
Zaheer
Bumrah
What an amazing lineup this would be.. pity we have to keep out VVS from this 11.

I will go with :-

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohli
Pant(wkt)
Jadeja
Kapil
Ashwin
Shami
Bumrah

2nd XI :-

Vinoo Mankad( all rounder)
Vijay Merchant
VVS Laxman
Gundappa Vishwanath
Vijay Hazare(c)
Mohammad Azharuddin
MS Dhoni(wkt)
Anil Kumble
Bishan Singh Bedi
Zaheer Khan
Javagal Srinath

3rd XI :-

Gautam Gambhir
Rohit Sharma
Cheteshwar Pujara
Mohinder Amarnath
Dilip Vengsarkar
Saurav Ganguly (c)
Farook Engineer(wkt)
Irfan Pathan
Harbhajan Singh
Ishant Sharma
Bhagwat Chandrasekhar

Both Ganguly and Amarnath can bowl medium pace and be an additional pace bowling option.

MY Best Indian XI in India

Sehwag
Gavaskar
Dravid
Tendulkar
kohli
Kapil Dev
Dhoni
Ashwin
Kumble
Zaheer Khan
Harbhajan.

If we strictly talk about statistics

Most wickets by an Indian in won matches is Ashwin by decent distance.

Overall figures in WON matches

PlayerSpanMatInnsBallsRunsWktsDescendingBBIBBMAveEconSR510
R Ashwin2011-2024601191563570103697/5913/14018.992.6942.3317
A Kumble1993-2008438612810540028810/7414/14918.752.5244.4205
Harbhajan Singh1999-201342841179150312218/8415/21722.762.5653.3144
RA Jadeja2013-202446901061242612167/4210/11019.722.4049.1112

Most runs by an Indian in won matches

PlayerSpanMatInns
Runs​
HSAve10050
RA Jadeja2013-202446622003175*40.87314
R Ashwin2011-20246071194312429.8958
Harbhajan Singh1999-201342547797017.3103
A Kumble1993-200843497184518.4100

MOM/MOS awards in won matches/series

PlayerSpanMatMatch AwardsDescendingSeries Awards
RA Jadeja2013-202446101investigate this query
R Ashwin2011-20246097investigate this query
A Kumble1993-20084383investigate this query
R Dravid1996-20115671investigate this query
V Kohli2011-20246071investigate this query
M Azharuddin1986-19992252investigate this query
Harbhajan Singh1999-20134253investigate this query

In Indian conditions you have two pacers , that is enough , no need for third.

Who else you want instead of Harbhajan? Make your arguments.
Ashwin. Better batsman, equal level bowler and same level fielder.

If it is between Jadeja and Bhajji then Bhajji. Can get you more crucial runs and better bowler but obviously way inferior fielder.

If it is between Jadeja and Bhajji then Bhajji. Can get you more crucial runs and better bowler but obviously way inferior fielder.

The team that I picked up has Ashwin at number 8 , how much more batting we need ? That is why I took Harbhajan.

Bhajji will give you more crucial runs than Jadeja??

Bhajji will give you more crucial runs than Jadeja??
Jadeja is very 1 dimensional. Can make 100s at times obviously but never plays according to situation or at his own pace in any format.

Bhajji is a talented slogger with good hand-eye coordination and basic technique so you have 0 expectations and can give you quick runs which might be crucial.

Jadeja is very 1 dimensional. Can make 100s at times obviously but never plays according to situation or at his own pace in any format.

Bhajji is a talented slogger with good hand-eye coordination and basic technique so you have 0 expectations and can give you quick runs which might be crucial.

What rubbish? Are you seriously comparing Jadeja to Bhajji in Test match batting?

Jadeja is miles ahead of Ashwin a test batter and Ashwin is miles ahead of Harbhajan as test batter.

Such is the post that I had to take another look at the title of the thread to validate that we are comparing them in Tests.

What rubbish? Are you seriously comparing Jadeja to Bhajji in Test match batting?

Jadeja is miles ahead of Ashwin a test batter and Ashwin is miles ahead of Harbhajan as test batter.

Such is the post that I had to take another look at the title of the thread to validate that we are comparing them in Tests.
Primary skill Bhajji is way better than Jadeja

Jadeja is more of a sum of all parts player.

I know Jadeja’s test returns have gotten better in the last 2-3 years but still a very meandering type batsmen who just keeps plugging away at his own pace. Extremely boring batsman.

Primary skill Bhajji is way better than Jadeja

Jadeja is more of a sum of all parts player.

I know Jadeja’s test returns have gotten better in the last 2-3 years but still a very meandering type batsmen who just keeps plugging away at his own pace. Extremely boring batsman.
Jadeja - Last 6 years, 36 tests - batting avg 42 , SR 50 plus , 4 tons and 12 50 plus scores.

A genuine all rounder here.

And how Harbhajan is way better than Jadeja in primary skills? I mean Harbhajan averages around 40 against each of BD, Eng and SL. and Around 50 agasint Aus. His away average is 40 as well.

Back